Travel and The Electronics Ban:
- The biggest news is the electronics ban (my link), which has the US and UK banning large electronics from the cabin for flights departing from a variety of Middle East and North African airports. Airlines are already hurting, and trying to alleviate the inconvenience, like Emirates who will allow passengers to keep their electronics right up until boarding.
- Richard Branson’s farewell to Virgin America, after Alaska announced it will kill the Virgin America brand, is a great, if nostalgic read. I have to say, there have been some airlines that really have character, and Virgin America is one of them. There aren’t that many left. And if you want a parody from another era, here is singleflyer’s offering
- Dia succeeded in getting her jump to Marriott Rewards Platinum, which gets her United Silver and a bunch of other benefits. Have you jumped on this yet? If you have SPG or Marriott Gold, its a phone call, and 9 stays in 3 months. I’m 2 stays in myself.
Credit & Gift Cards and Miles and Points:
- Joe has a public service announcement – always keep your receipts when buying gift cards!
- Cashback Credit Cards are getting more competitive, check out this 3% cashback in the first year card coming soon nationwide. Or, USAA also has a 2.5% cashback card. No longer is the “floor” 2%.
- Ya’ll know I love shopping portals – well Doctor of Credit shares a way to get even more miles when shopping via the AAdvantage Shopping Portal.
Tagging Miles Posts of the Week:
- Changes coming to Washington’s Reagan National Airport
- Electronics Ban for flights from 8 Countries
- Networking is Key for Travel Hacking!
- Is the Electronics Ban the next volley in US3 vs ME3 airlines?
- Finally, I tried looking for a silver lining of the Electronics Ban, as any good travel hacker should!