The Weekly News Roundup is a collection of headlines from around the internet that caught the attention of the Tagging Miles team. Content on these blogs do not necessarily reflect the positions of Tagging Miles, and should not be considered endorsements. Have a great story we should read? Contact us now and let us know!
Do Now (if you haven’t already)
- More folks than I can count have posted on this, but, just in case you missed it, National Rental Car is having their 2 for 1 promotion. Sign up now, you’ll thank me later.
- Wandering Aramean found a variety of targeted Hyatt fall promos. which one did you get?
- FreequentFlyerBook reminds us to register for fall/winter Hilton and Marriott Promotions.
On Blog Content and Credit Card Affiliates
- Ariana at Pointchaser made her stand to Barclays when they threatened “modify your content or else.” We’re proud to be part of the Saverocity team, as we’ve run into similar issues, and decided that our controlling the content is the right way to go. Kudos for Ariana for doing the same.
- While I don’t think we’ll see Matt changing his content, he’s embracing credit card affiliate links as a small way to do good. We would definitely encourage you to offer your thoughts on preferred charities.
- While I’ve never actually ate at a Ben’s Chilli Bowl, I’m not sure that the one at Reagan National will be my first, unless its on my way home, because I agree with View from the Wing For an airport eatery, this just seems like a very bad idea, would you want to sit next to someone on a flight after dining there?
- Another from View from the Wing – his readers get free (or discounted) visa expediting services through next month. I used Allied earlier this year for a visa to China and was more than satisfied with them.
- HackMyTrip posted a pretty exhaustive post on Frequent Flyer Programs, Transferable Points and Competitive Pressure. The question that stands out to me – are the big three alliances still worthwhile?
- As the Joe Flies offers a different take of the Lufthansa First Class Terminal. It left me wanting to return (which I hope to do in November), Macallan, and to play with Lufthansa ducks in water fountains (seriously, it looks fun!)
- Cathay Pacific to fly to Hong Kong to Boston! It’ll be a 4-class 777-300ER looks like flights are loaded in Expert Flyer, but I see no award space at least through mid-may via the BA search tool. It looks like the inaugural will be 2 May from Hong Kong.
Manufacturing Spend for Hotels
- FreequentFlyerBook’s MS for hotels: taking Matt at his word was the latest in a string of posts debating Manufacturing spend for hotels, here he was responding to Matt’s MSing for Hotels – For Realz. Matt was referencing Drew at Travel is Free’s post MSing for Hotels.
- Now I don’t know for sure, but I think FrequentMiler might’ve spurred this, with his posts about the Quickest spend to top tier stays, Quickest spend to bottom tier, and Quickest spend to real stays. Of course after that first post, I really want to go to Bora Bora.
On Hotels Loyalty Programs
- I proposed the question of whether Marriott Rewards was the red-headed stepchild of hotel points and elite status seekers. In the course of various comments, Marriott Rewards Flash Perks came to mind, as well as IHG being identified as a reasonable alternative.
- Coincidentally, Lucky posted that IHG Rewards club has updated their terms, publishing Royal Ambassador qualification requirements. Pretty cool if you ask me.