The Weekly News Roundup is a collection of headlines from around the internet that caught the attention of the Tagging Miles team. Content on these blogs do not necessarily reflect the positions of Tagging Miles, and should not be considered endorsements. Have a great story we should read? Contact us now and let us know!
But first, a word from our (non) sponsors…
- Wandering Aramean writes about a credit card! And the world hasn’t stopped spinning. But seriously, it doesn’t happen all that often, and definitely worth a quick read if you have an AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card!
- From FrequentMiler – Another potential prepaid card similar to Amex’s awesome lineup of cards (Bluebird, RedBird and Serve); and the survey says?
- If you have a Discover checking account, you too could earn some points really quickly! The Doctor (of Credit) shows us how. And to think that I had no idea Discover had checking accounts!
Mind the gap (and other airport tomfoolery)
- From Head For Points: British Airways pays quite a bit of money so that its top tier passengers don’t have to go up and down escalators, through hill and dale (and maybe a TARDIS), to get to Galleries First, or the Concorde Room. Trevor’s been to Galleries First, and the Concorde Room, but apparently this door is so secret, that even he didn’t know about it. He’s vowed that he will change that next time through, just as soon as he gets over his last experience through Heathrow – which is a whole other story.
- And speaking of lounge access, Gary Leff notes that British Airways wants to offer fares without lounge access or priority boarding. The question is: if airlines are treating customers at the transactional rate, what is the point of loyalty?
- Need an alternative to the ANA search tool? Joe does after his Star Alliance meltdown. Canadian Kilometers has an idea that we just might like.
Get to the conference!
- Apparently, there was a Frequent Traveler University (FTU) in Dallas this past weekend – and we’re forced to catch up from sessions posted by bloggers. Jeanne – formerly of Heels First Travel, now Le Chic Geek (Trevor is in love with the name) – provided a great presentation on showing the value of your status to your company. In short: maximizing business travel, which is something Joe definitely did.
- We’d be remiss if we didn’t also mention that Le Chic Geek officially launched (although we’re a week late) – but alas, we missed the drink. Jeanne, the first round is on Trevor, next time! Joe will probably buy you a drink, too…mostly because I, too, am a card-carrying geek.
- From Dia the Deal Mommy – The lineup for speakers for 3rd Family Travel for Real Life have been announced! Trevor is proud to be partnered up with fellow Saverocity blogger Kenny from Miles4More. If you want to go and haven’t gotten a ticket, you might want to jump on that.
And now, for something completely different…
- For folks in the DC / VA / MD area (aka driving distance to Dulles), Discover Dulles is holding an event to celebrate the arrival of the inaugural Aer Lingus flight from Dublin. Trevor attended one of these, and can personaly attest that its a great time.
- Finally: if you got an Apple Watch today, your fist app should be TripIt. Though I’m not sure why you would have an Apple Watch to begin with. You’re smarter (and better looking) than that.