The Weekly News Roundup is a collection of headlines from around the internet that caught the attention of the Tagging Miles team. Content on these blogs do not necessarily reflect the positions of Tagging Miles, and should not be considered endorsements. Have a great story we should read? Contact us now and let us know!
A Season of Renewal
- Gary of View from the Wing flew an Inaugural(!) Austin to Miami on American Airlines. Perhaps the most notable comment from his post: “…in this case we got the food without the tax.” We’d sure like to fly an inaugural – preferably an international one and in front.
- …Now that you mention it, Joe did get to fly a Dreamliner during it’s launch year. Not an inaugural flight…but a fun ride, none the less.
- Stefan of Rapid Travel Chai recently flew Iberia Business Class. Its a good quick read, and something we don’t often see from Stefan. Well done!
Talk Technical To Me
- From Dulles Airport – here’s what those big trains of snow removal equipment are and do.
- Via gizmodo: the interesting language of Airport Runways.
- Routehappy – an interesting company that continues to expand – provides a third metric to help consumers choose which flight they take. Gone are the days of price and schedule being the only considerations, or so Routehappy would argue. Those days were gone long ago for us at TaggingMiles.
- Can big data predict which flight will get you to your destination fastest? The analysts at FiveThirtyEight seem to think so.
What’s the Big Secret?
- FrugalHack provides an overview of the many flavors of the companion pass. Its interesting, as we didn’t know some of them existed. Of course, that Lufthansa companion pass can keep on going, we won’t lose sleep!
- Lucky shares with us the “secret” and unused Admirals Club section in terminal A of Dallas Fort Worth. Have you ever been? If so, was anyone else there?
- Gary from View from the Wing shares his experience in a federal criminal trial, specifically with small business rewards programs. The biggest key is documenting what the practice is, as to who can use them and for what. Trevor’s written about the three major small business programs – Business ExtrAA (American), PerksPlus (United), and SkyBonus (Delta).
What We Missed at FT4RL
- Kenny at Miles4More had a great post on what he spoke about at FT4RL – Its pretty impressive that from all the puts and takes, he netted 4 figures profit from the travel he took.
- Carolina Travel Girl also gave a good review of what we missed at FT4RL. Now we’re kind of regretting not going.
- Meanwhile, As The (other) Joe Flies recorded a mega-podcast at FT4RL featuring a number of your favorite travel bloggers. He also got an exclusive sit-down interview with several other Saverocity family members, including Nick from PFDigest and Kenny from Miles4More.
- After completing her second FT4RL, Dia the Deal Mommy is already planning the third! Will we see you there?
Speaking of Conventions
- Stefan of Rapid Travel Chai shares his presentation from the latest FTU Advanced. Even without the talking points, this presentation is definitely full of great tips and tricks!
- Plus, the New York Travel Festival is only a month away. Should be a great time, if you’re in/near/around/have the points to get to New York.
On a Serious Note
- Mommy Points combats a rather difficult situation that has affected us all at least once. Both of us at TaggingMiles have been where Summer and her husband are – and Joe still is. We wish them great strength in this tough time, but know they will persevere and flying once again.