Disturbing news on Chase Credit Cards

jlynmriep

I would say that it could well likely not be approved because of the very recent Chase application. And if approved likely at a low credit limit. Hard to know though as these things are somewhat unpredictable and always changing. I never pay mid-cycle and not sure if it would help at all here. I have never waited for the letter. I usually call proactively right away. It is of course possible they would move some credit from the Freedom if you are amenable and that *could* help with approval. Whole new world out there now.
Thanks for the help! I did end up waiting for the letter because I saw somewhere that people thought with the new policy, waiting might be better, and I got it today. It said denied because of insufficient income - I didn't realize, but I guess this is a Visa Signature card with the accompanying $5k minimum limit? Not much point in calling recon on that, I have a part-time student income and don't have any cards with a limit over $5k...highest is $3.7k. So I guess I'm out of luck for this one :(

smittytabb

Staff member
Thanks for the help! I did end up waiting for the letter because I saw somewhere that people thought with the new policy, waiting might be better, and I got it today. It said denied because of insufficient income - I didn't realize, but I guess this is a Visa Signature card with the accompanying $5k minimum limit? Not much point in calling recon on that, I have a part-time student income and don't have any cards with a limit over $5k...highest is $3.7k. So I guess I'm out of luck for this one :(
You're welcome. Yes, Visa Signature requires a minimum credit limit of 5K. If you have established credit and cards with a bank they will often reshuffle it to make it work. If you are just establishing as a student, you might take a look at some cards that you are more likely to be able to get and build from there.

jlynmriep

You're welcome. Yes, Visa Signature requires a minimum credit limit of 5K. If you have established credit and cards with a bank they will often reshuffle it to make it work. If you are just establishing as a student, you might take a look at some cards that you are more likely to be able to get and build from there.
Is there a hard minimum income that banks need to approve that limit? A lot of good cards seem to be Visa Signature! I have decent scores since I've been an AU on my parents' Discover card that's been open for longer than I've been alive, and personally I've got a Barclays Apple Rewards Visa, Citi Thank You Premier, Chase Freedom, SPG Amex, and Delta Gold Amex (2 of those not yet showing on my credit reports so they didn't effect the CSP app). The thing holding me back is mostly the income I think. I was just hoping to be able to combine the Freedom with the CSP to transfer points out, but I guess I could still hoard those points and wait and see if I can get the CSP in the future. Would I still be able to transfer points that were earned awhile ago to a new CSP (and thus out to airline partners) even if it was a year or two down the line? Do they expire?

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Is there a hard minimum income that banks need to approve that limit? A lot of good cards seem to be Visa Signature! I have decent scores since I've been an AU on my parents' Discover card that's been open for longer than I've been alive, and personally I've got a Barclays Apple Rewards Visa, Citi Thank You Premier, Chase Freedom, SPG Amex, and Delta Gold Amex (2 of those not yet showing on my credit reports so they didn't effect the CSP app). The thing holding me back is mostly the income I think. I was just hoping to be able to combine the Freedom with the CSP to transfer points out, but I guess I could still hoard those points and wait and see if I can get the CSP in the future. Would I still be able to transfer points that were earned awhile ago to a new CSP (and thus out to airline partners) even if it was a year or two down the line? Do they expire?
You can absolutely hoard the points and wait to get CSP later. (UR don't expire, just make sure you keep your Freedom open - although why wouldn't you?) Just remember, Chase is being finicky about approving people for new UR cards who have a bunch of new accounts with the last 2 years, so plan accordingly.

jlynmriep

You can absolutely hoard the points and wait to get CSP later. (UR don't expire, just make sure you keep your Freedom open - although why wouldn't you?) Just remember, Chase is being finicky about approving people for new UR cards who have a bunch of new accounts with the last 2 years, so plan accordingly.
Thanks! I'm kind of hoping (as I'm sure most people here are!) that they ease up on this apparent new policy at some point, but I guess I'll just watch and see and try to make some sort of plan for it :)

travelwithapoint

Level 2 Member
The thing I most want to know/figure out is if it's inquiries they care about or new accounts. I have no problem closing most of the cards I just got in March, now that I have the bonuses, if it's new accounts they care about and it would allow me to get a freedom/sapphire.
If you cancel it, it will still show up as an account that was opened. I have been questioned by Chase about accounts that were opened and closed within a short period.

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
If you cancel it, it will still show up as an account that was opened. I have been questioned by Chase about accounts that were opened and closed within a short period.
I wonder, though, if canceling brought me below 5 cards opened (and still open) in the last 24 months (it would, if I cancel some of them), if the Chase algorithm would auto approve me.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no clear consensus on the rules/algorithm Chase is using, so we're in a bit of unknown territory on how they approve/deny at this point.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
  • Denied Ink Bold last week - business too new
  • Approved for Marriott Personal Today
  • Denied for Marriott Business today, too many applications and too much credit. Asked to reduce credit and they said it didn't matter because personal credit doesn't apply against business credit (I decided to not ask them why they cited too much credit was a problem if personal credit didn't apply.... silly people)

smittytabb

Staff member
  • Denied Ink Bold last week - business too new
  • Approved for Marriott Personal Today
  • Denied for Marriott Business today, too many applications and too much credit. Asked to reduce credit and they said it didn't matter because personal credit doesn't apply against business credit (I decided to not ask them why they cited too much credit was a problem if personal credit didn't apply.... silly people)
Were you trying to set up that office supply store kiosk next to the OfficeMax as your new business or what? Geez, gone are the days of babysitting as business a la Mommy Points.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Were you trying to set up that office supply store kiosk next to the OfficeMax as your new business or what? Geez, gone are the days of babysitting as business a la Mommy Points.
Nah. Biz is legit, and I have fricken Chase Biz account to go with it.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Starting an LLC and need to pay the fees and would like to pay with a new business card and would prefer to get a new Ink but pretty sure they won't give me a card as the business is too new. Bit of a Catch 22.
We tried to do the CP the easy way, w/personal and biz SW cards. I have a LLC, no income yet. Same answer: too new.

Good news is that we're currently only 20K miles from the CP, anyway.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Perhaps it's a new scheme by Chase so that no one ever cancels Ink, UA Exp, etc. EVER...a new profit center! Back in the good old days---6 months ago--SO got a $20K Ink with brand new business, no income and no EIN. Chase regional supervisor taking app over phone was very surprised as he had warned it wouldn't happen exp. without EIN.
Still itching to apply for CSP for SO. A few months from now, today will be the good old days.

Last edited:

Panache

Level 2 Member
This is crummy news after being gone 3 weeks!

My UA Exp card will be due the AF in August, I am only about $7K shy of MSing to get the 10 K mile annual bonus, I was going to MS that this month and call to cancel. In light of this, should I just hang on to the card and MS the 25+10 = 35,000 miles each year rather than churn it? In spite of the devaluation I find UA miles useful for economy travel. Just got back from Europe on flights that would have cost $1600 pp cash.

I have 6 apps total over the past 10 months. I don't have CSP or Ink yet, thoughts on which one to get 1st? SO has CSP, I guess I will not tell her to cancel it next year then.....

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Perhaps it's a new scheme by Chase so that no one ever cancels Ink, UA Exp, etc. EVER...a new profit center! Back in the good old days---6 months ago--SO got a $20K Ink w/o brand new business, no income and no EIN. Chase regional supervisor taking app over phone was very surprised as he had warned it wouldn't happen exp. without EIN.
Still itching to apply for CSP for SO. A few months from now, today good be the good old days.
AKA another "winning" strategy by JPMC's supreme leader, Jamie Dimon

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Didn't see a thread on this yet on Saverocity; just wanted to start a thread for discussion and/or adding data-points.

The points & miles blogs have been abuzz over the last few weeks about Chase's newly-implemented limits on 'recently opened credit card accounts' for chase-branded cards. Example:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-credit-card-churning-the-new-reality/

Sadly (for me), I have been personally affected. In early May I downgraded my (8 year old) CSP to a Freedom, with the intention of re-applying for the card to earn the signup bonus. I re-applied in early June (before the blogiverse blew up with the news) and received the dreaded 'Application Pending' message. I just received the final 'denied' letter in the mail. The reason cited was "Too Many Credit Cards Opened in the Last 2 Years"

No real loss on my part here. My wife still has the CSP so I can still consolidate UR points on that card and transfer to partners for redemption. After the downgrade, I now have 2x Freedom cards, and my wife has one, all of which we have been maximizing each quarter. So closing the CSP was the right call either way. I am 'only' out one Hard Pull on TransUnion.

Going forward, all this means is that I'm done churning with Chase. I'm certainly not going to curtail my "Earn and Burn" on other issuers cards just so that I can qualify for 40K UR points every 6 months. I can't necessarily fault Chase for their approach, but I do find it a bit curious that they changed the rules to allow churns every 24 months, then less than a year later changed the rules to disallow active churners. I personally think they are going to roll this back in 6 months or so once they see that their new-card signups have plummeted and that they are turning down people with credit scores in the 800+ range due to this policy change.

Data points:
  • 10 Credit Card accounts, 2 AU accounts and 2 Store Credit accounts opened in last 2 Years (per TU report).
  • 8 Credit Inquiries over last 2 years on TU.
  • TU FICO > 810 as of June 5th
  • Chase mortgage customer for 10+ years
  • Chase CC customer since 1999. Oldest open Chase CC is 2002.
  • 4 Open Chase CC accounts. 2 Open Chase AU accounts.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
This is crummy news after being gone 3 weeks!

My UA Exp card will be due the AF in August, I am only about $7K shy of MSing to get the 10 K mile annual bonus, I was going to MS that this month and call to cancel. In light of this, should I just hang on to the card and MS the 25+10 = 35,000 miles each year rather than churn it? In spite of the devaluation I find UA miles useful for economy travel. Just got back from Europe on flights that would have cost $1600 pp cash.

I have 6 apps total over the past 10 months. I don't have CSP or Ink yet, thoughts on which one to get 1st? SO has CSP, I guess I will not tell her to cancel it next year then.....
It is not clear yet that Chase is or will be applying the new policy to apps for cards other than ones that earn UR (e.g. Ink, CSP and Freedom). There are reports that affiliate cards such as Hyatt and UA may still be judged under the old rules. In fact, my wife and I each applied for the UA Explorer at the beginning of June and were approved, even though we are way over whatever number of cards Chase might be using to call "too many".

That said, I can't think of any reason Chase would not apply the new policy to all of its cards, so maybe they just started with the UR earners, and will bring in the others later. Or maybe the new policy is an experiment and could be changed later.

Up to me, I would keep your UA card until you have to either incur the fee or close the card, which should give you another 3 months from now to see what develops from the data points. As you likely know, there are a lot of data points daily on FT, assuming you have a need for the card and would be willing to pay the fee if you can't get another one. Keeping these cards and shooting for threshold bonuses will likely get a lot more attention since the salad days of card churning seem to be drawing to a close.

Last edited:

taildragger

Level 2 Member
I have 6 personal plus 3 business Chase cards as well as at least 3 auth user cards on SO's cards. I was planning on cxling and then re-applying for some hotel cards we've had way more than 24 months but I'm afraid to do it now because we may never be able to get them again. SO just got an Ink Cash approved after pending and I think that was probably a miracle. Other than a fairly new BA card there's not one of these cards I'm willing to let go.

Chase is going to lose this game in the short term by not allowing churning. But my opinion about Chase curtailing CCs is different.
I observed this back in 2008/2009 when the recession happened. A majority of the banks (Chase included) were very active in denying credit to customers. They probably had a front end view of defaults / delays of their customer payments and tried to protect themselves (Amex was the top denier during that time). Is Chase seeing something like that?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I've reported this elsewhere but might as well get it in this somewhat consolidated thread. I spoke to several "senior" credit analysts and was told they do NOT count AU cards (contrary to what others report) but who knows what that really means. When I applied a couple weeks ago for both UA EXP and CSP-- UA EXP was approved, CSP wasn't. At the time I thought they had a threshold and the second app tipped me over but now it looks like what's being reported elsewhere--they are specifically targeting UR cards.

Sure would like to know what the magic number for apps in last 2 years-- I had 11 and got UA Exp. SO has 8 and it doesn't look good for a CSP app.

Edit: Analysts also told me (re DOC reports) that when they get the "too many apps... last 2 years" message they CANNOT override it, it's company policy. I guess there's some intermediate but not quite as bad message they CAN override.

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
... it looks like what's being reported elsewhere--they are specifically targeting UR cards.

Sure would like to know what the magic number for apps in last 2 years-- I had 11 and got UA Exp. SO has 8 and it doesn't look good for a CSP app.

Edit: Analysts also told me (re DOC reports) that when they get the "too many apps... last 2 years" message they CANNOT override it, it's company policy. I guess there's some intermediate but not quite as bad message they CAN override.
A few minor nuances (as I know them)
  • It isn't the number of Apps in the last 2 years, its the number of New Accounts (successful Apps). In the past, they only saw the number of recent Inquiries on their specific credit Bureau (TU in my case). Now any successful app that gets reported as a new account counts against you. This is somewhat strange in that Chase is holding against you the fact that others found you credit-worthy (with a pull from another CB), and somewhat perverse in that someone turning you down for credit (on another CB) doesn't hurt you.
  • I've seen many reports that the Chase Slate card (doesn't earn UR) is also affected. So it is (said to be) all Chase-branded cards under the new policy, but not co-marketed cards (like United, Marriott, Hyatt, Southwest, etc).

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
I observed this back in 2008/2009 when the recession happened. ... had a front end view of defaults / delays of their customer payments and tried to protect themselves ... Is Chase seeing something like that?
Interesting theory. At first, it seems to make sense in that Chase seems to be more concerned now about how much credit has been extended to you across all lenders. But, Chase is still on the hook if you default on a Southwest or Marriott card, just as they are on the hook for if you default on a CSP. So the new rules don't seem to jive with that reasoning.

Similarly, this theory would make more sense if Chase were citing the amount OWED on your various CLs, or even the SIZE of your CLs across all issuers. But that doesn't seem to be the case. They just seem interested in the number of new accounts, not your overall credit health.

The more I think about it, I think Chase is simply trying to target *us*, the people who are churning credit cards for rewards. They must be seeing increasing numbers of people who are signing up for the cards and sock-drawering them once they've met the minimum spend. Of course if that is the intent, you'd think it would be better for them to just say something like "Only one new card per year, per person".

<shrug> Frankly, it really doesn't make any sense to me at this point. There seems to be a lot better ways to wield the "ban hammer" than the rule they've come up with. So maybe it does have something to do with their perceived risk of default after all!

My head hurts! ;)

Annie H.

Egalatarian
A few minor nuances (as I know them)
  • It isn't the number of Apps in the last 2 years, its the number of New Accounts (successful Apps).
You're right, that's what I meant to say. What they're looking at is the *amount* of new credit you've received. It's their algorithim that makes you look suspicious. Hmmmm-- Jane Doe has received $150K in new credit in the last 12 months--might she be getting ready to leave the country (this scenario was basically confirmed to me by Chase Sr. Credit analyst)? Let's see what her next move is. OTOH, one cannot deny they do not like/want churners and this is their way of weeding us out.

PS. -- I totally do NOT get Slate card. It's SOs oldest card and so he keeps it but *no* points or miles??? WTF? I keep having to remind him not to use it!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
PS. -- I totally do NOT get Slate card
Slate is the best (along with perhaps the Citi Simplicity IIRC) for issuing a long term 0% APR and that also doesn't come with the BT initiation charge... people use it for interest free loans..

Overall, I'm starting to think that the old logic of keeping / transferring credit may need rethinking, as they are pulling in weird rules on credit amounts available now. They called me out on my LOC too, and then made illogical arguments about it, such as focusing on salary to credit ratio (it should be assets) and other silliness.

Maybe better to close out some older cards (doesn't appear so much like churning then) before applying, yet keeping the oldest to maintain AAOA.

I've also had two non Chase cards close on me for sock drawing recently: Amex Hilton closed when I opened Amex Biz Delta Gold, and Barclay Rewards CC (previously downgraded from US Air) both closed for lack of use..

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
I've also had two non Chase cards close on me for sock drawing recently: Amex Hilton closed when I opened Amex Biz Delta Gold, and Barclay Rewards CC (previously downgraded from US Air) both closed for lack of use..
Same here--Citi AA Bronze MC closed for no activity in the last 25 months.

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Slate is the best (along with perhaps the Citi Simplicity IIRC) for issuing a long term 0% APR and that also doesn't come with the BT initiation charge... people use it for interest free loans..
+1. I *WAS* planning on getting it around this time next year after my current promotional 0% APR rate expires on one of my store cards (used to finance a good portion of a minor remodel). I'm always willing to take interest-free loans when available; I have better uses for my cash.

I've also had two non Chase cards close on me for sock drawing recently: Amex Hilton ... and Barclay Rewards CC (previously downgraded from US Air) both closed for lack of use..
How long were they dormant? I'm trying to figure out how often I need to take my sock-drawer cards out for a little spin. Amex cards are easy with Small Business Saturday (assuming once a year is good enough). Others may require a little more planning.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
+1. I *WAS* planning on getting it around this time next year after my current promotional 0% APR rate expires on one of my store cards (used to finance a good portion of a minor remodel). I'm always willing to take interest-free loans when available; I have better uses for my cash.

How long were they dormant? I'm trying to figure out how often I need to take my sock-drawer cards out for a little spin. Amex cards are easy with Small Business Saturday (assuming once a year is good enough). Others may require a little more planning.
Not sure exactly, but probably 1-2 years.

jmw

Level 2 Member
Overall, I'm starting to think that the old logic of keeping / transferring credit may need rethinking, as they are pulling in weird rules on credit amounts available now. They called me out on my LOC too, and then made illogical arguments about it, such as focusing on salary to credit ratio (it should be assets) and other silliness.
Debt to income(usually salary or pension) ratio is what counts. Credit underwriters look at the debt-to-income (DTI) ratio, not your debt to assets. For non-investment properties, Fannie/Freddie doesn't care much about your reserves. Zero to two months of reserves is enough.

When you get a mortgage, it is actually a loan against your income earning ability secured by collateral. Credit card is the same except for the collateral part. The collateral is there in case you default (not for payments) since you can't pull cash out of the walls easily. If you pay 80% down with zero income, you will not get the mortgage. Automatic denial for conventional financing.

To survive an Amex FR unscathed, they pull your IRS income taxes, not your asset statements from the brokerage or bank. Income is what you need to survive the FR, not assets. Income is what pays the bills for normal people. People who MS with lots of assets in Serve accounts waiting to pay CC are not normal people. :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Debt to income(usually salary or pension) ratio is what counts. Credit underwriters look at the debt-to-income (DTI) ratio, not your debt to assets. For non-investment properties, Fannie/Freddie doesn't care much about your reserves. Zero to two months of reserves is enough.

When you get a mortgage, it is actually a loan against your income earning ability secured by collateral. Credit card is the same except for the collateral part. The collateral is there in case you default (not for payments) since you can't pull cash out of the walls easily. If you pay 80% down with zero income, you will not get the mortgage. Automatic denial for conventional financing.

To survive an Amex FR unscathed, they pull your IRS income taxes, not your asset statements from the brokerage or bank. Income is what you need to survive the FR, not assets. Income is what pays the bills for normal people. People who MS with lots of assets in Serve accounts waiting to pay CC are not normal people. :)
Yep, I know how it works, I just said 'it should be assets'.. silly rules.

Annie H.

Egalatarian

First thing to go when we started this a year ago was SO's Chase Advantage LOC. It had been unused for a long time and I didn't think much of it at the time (SO whined but then...)

W/regard to Slate and long term 0% APR-- I think I'm too impatient to hustle and keep track like that although I'm ever so slightly tempted to do a 10 year mortgage while rates are low but SO-- not a chance.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I know several folks who have "survived" an Amex FR unscathed without tax returns. Perhaps they aren't "normal people" as you refer to above but retired folks with small incomes but lots of assets/ investments easily liquidated. I believe Amex is one of the few CC companies (at least they were in the past) that actually asks on a CC app for asset totals although I believe the highest category is "over $500K." They want to be paid period and a retired person with a couple million in asset/investments (not counting primary residence) is probably in better shape than someone earning $150K who could lose their job tomorrow.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I know several folks who have "survived" an Amex FR unscathed without tax returns. Perhaps they aren't "normal people" as you refer to above but retired folks with small incomes but lots of assets/ investments easily liquidated. I believe Amex is one of the few CC companies (at least they were in the past) that actually asks on a CC app for asset totals although I believe the highest category is "over $500K." They want to be paid period and a retired person with a couple million in asset/investments (not counting primary residence) is probably in better shape than someone earning $150K who could lose their job tomorrow.
What I have wondered for a while is how Amex would view income earned in IRAs that is not distributed. Getting tax returns won't show any of that, and someone could have (intentionally) small income outside their IRA but a lot of income inside the IRA. Granted a creditor generally can't get to separated retirement savings but that doesn't mean it is worthless.