The Original Thread

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Haven' really thought this through, but with you wanting the stopover, perhaps UA would be a better option than Avios? Avios to stop would require you to book a separate ticket.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
Haven' really thought this through, but with you wanting the stopover, perhaps UA would be a better option than Avios? Avios to stop would require you to book a separate ticket.
I'll note to check both options. Is the 331 day rule true for all airlines?

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
I'll note to check both options. Is the 331 day rule true for all airlines?
Also consider SQ's award chart and options on UA. The transferable programs you have points in all transfer to SQ, so providing UA has availability, it could be a good option.

Drew had a good post on using SQ here.

No, airlines differ on when they allow booking. From memory, there was a posting on View from the Wing on this that listed windows. Back in the day when Gary actually posted useful content... ;)

Nick

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Also consider SQ's award chart and options on UA. The transferable programs you have points in all transfer to SQ, so providing UA has availability, it could be a good option.

Drew had a good post on using SQ here.

No, airlines differ on when they allow booking. From memory, there was a posting on View from the Wing on this that listed windows. Back in the day when Gary actually posted useful content... ;)

Nick
SQ might well be an option, I'm not so familiar with their stopover rules which is the only concern, but if favorable probably cheaper than UA

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
SQ might well be an option, I'm not so familiar with their stopover rules which is the only concern, but if favorable probably cheaper than UA
Per the T&C, a complimentary stopover is not allowed on purely domestic itineraries, so that is not ideal unfortunately. Though it would be interesting to ask SQ given that HI is in another zone from North America- perhaps you could get lucky there.

As options though, there is the ability to add a stopover for $100, or you could do an open jaw. Obviously the cost/benefit would need to be done in each case there.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Looking to book our first award trip to Hawaii next August, first two weeks of the month. Tentative plan is to fly CVG-SAN or LAX for a two-day visit to Legoland, then continue on to Hawaii for 9-10 days. We need four tickets. Here are current point totals:

AA 111,000 (additional 116,000 will post 9/16-- Citi screwed up, long story)
Chase UR total 194,000
My Delta 77,000
Husband's Delta 20,000
SPG 94,000
Amex MR 110K will post 10/8ish
Barclay's 90,000

Any thoughts? Total noob on the redemption side of things. :) Help!
Hope this post from the master travel hacker helps you.

http://travelisfree.com/2014/08/12/cheapest-ways-to-get-to-hawaii-using-miles/

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
Looking to book our first award trip to Hawaii next August, first two weeks of the month. Tentative plan is to fly CVG-SAN or LAX for a two-day visit to Legoland, then continue on to Hawaii for 9-10 days. We need four tickets. Here are current point totals:

AA 111,000 (additional 116,000 will post 9/16-- Citi screwed up, long story)
Chase UR total 194,000
My Delta 77,000
Husband's Delta 20,000
SPG 94,000
Amex MR 110K will post 10/8ish
Barclay's 90,000

Any thoughts? Total noob on the redemption side of things. :) Help!
Jennifer - I took a look at the Korean Airlines option too and theoretically that should be a good option.

They offer 35k roundtrips on DL (with a stopover) and 30k on Alaska (with stopover) or Hawaiian (stopover rules not clear). Unfortunately, you'd have to deal with DL's impossible low lever availability, and according to a FT thread, as of now Korean cannot ticket any Alaska space that's available (due to some IT issue)! Then with Hawaiian, the ticket prices out per segment - so OK if you're on the West Coast or JFK, less so if you are anywhere else.

Still, it's worth remembering in case the IT issues get fixed or Delta goes crazy and starts releasing low level award space next year (like their spin on the new Skymiles would have you believe), or HA starts flying to CVG!

Nick

Last edited:

KennyBSAT

Staff member
@Jennifer - Any chance of taking a few domestic trips out of SDF, DAY, IND or CMH? You could book SAN-Hawaii on AS for 12,500 Avios, your return back to Ohio on UA for 17,500 SQ miles, and earn 110K Southwest points and a companion pass next year for getting to SAN. Then using those WN points for domestic travel will save miles that can be used for int'l. If that's of any use to you.

Otherwise I'd pick up a UA card for XN space (and 55K more miles) and book roundtrip with a stopover for 180K total for the four of you.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
@KennyBSAT We don't tend to take too many domestic flights each year, maybe one for the four of us around the holidays. I'm not sure the Companion Pass would be worth it? The way our schedules are, we usually can only take one bigger vacation each year. Weekend trips are out for us, unfortunately.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
@KennyBSAT We don't tend to take too many domestic flights each year, maybe one for the four of us around the holidays. I'm not sure the Companion Pass would be worth it? The way our schedules are, we usually can only take one bigger vacation each year. Weekend trips are out for us, unfortunately.
Then you can do the math, so to speak. Two WN cards at the beginning of the year will give you flexibility and a nonstop from SAN to Hawaii and should also be good for a domestic/Caribbean trip anytime in 2015 or 2016. On the other hand it forces you to fly out of a less convenient airport in exchange for the 60K UA that you're saving on this trip along whatever is saved on the future domestic trip. With your mileage balances, home airport and schedule, I think I'd skip the Southwest points. Wait, did I just say that?

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
Then you can do the math, so to speak. Two WN cards at the beginning of the year will give you flexibility and a nonstop from SAN to Hawaii and should also be good for a domestic/Caribbean trip anytime in 2015 or 2016. On the other hand it forces you to fly out of a less convenient airport in exchange for the 60K UA that you're saving on this trip along whatever is saved on the future domestic trip. With your mileage balances, home airport and schedule, I think I'd skip the Southwest points. Wait, did I just say that?
See this makes my head spin. I had to read your message very slowly five times and I think I understand.

So if we go UA w/stopover, I'm guessing we should each pick up a UA card?

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
See this makes my head spin. I had to read your message very slowly five times and I think I understand.

So if we go UA w/stopover, I'm guessing we should each pick up a UA card?
Given your UR balance, you can get by with what you have now. So the UA would be more at your discretion. :)

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
Given your UR balance, you can get by with what you have now. So the UA would be more at your discretion. :)
The advantage being we would have access to more award space and if we could earn the points quickly enough, could transfer fewer UR points.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
The advantage being we would have access to more award space and if we could earn the points quickly enough, could transfer fewer UR points.
Bingo. You would wind up on separate PNRs if you make use of all 114K UA miles, but that's not a problem.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
Bingo. You would wind up on separate PNRs if you make use of all 114K UA miles, but that's not a problem.
OK, got the cards. :)

ETA: Will we be OK waiting to book until after I get the spend done on these cards and the bonus posts?

papa

Level 2 Member
I don't know that this totally fits here, but I also don't know that it fits anywhere else, either.

I'm looking for some help getting to Australia in Business using US Airways miles. I already have a nonstop flight in economy on Qantas, but if possible, I'd like to switch to Biz. I completely understand that I'll need to connect in Asia or the Middle East.

Basically, I've been using the BA, Qantas, and wikipedia websites to attempt to piece together segments. I've found flights getting to Australia, but I can't get home. I know about Virgin Australia availability, but it's just not an option for me this time.

Since I'm pretty set with using Oneworld, can you help me brainstorm possible connecting cities? I've tried HKG, HAN, NRT, KUL, DOH. What am I missing? Are there any segments that you may have had success with?

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
Why do you assume you need to connect in Asia?

When I was looking at tickets earlier this year, I found some saver award business class seats to all the major cities (BNE/SYD/MEL) on american airlines flying out of LAX and DFW. It wasn't like you could pick your own date, but there was usually something available once a week if you are flexible. If you're traveling alone or with one other person it is quite possible to get biz from the US, but in my case I have a family of four and didn't find anything (not that I would expect to w/ 4 saver award tix).

Can't say I've ever tried it, but out of Asia you might try Singapore. Here's a map of all QF flights:
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/route-maps/global/en

Please let me know if you find anything. I have to make the trip once every year or two and am always looking for new/better routes.

JohnnieD

Level 2 Member
Just got back from a three week trip to New Zealand/Australia and went via PVG on a US Air star alliance awrd (booked right before the change to 1World). I dont know 1world routings but I would not go gin via Asia-too long-- 14 hrs to PVG then 12.5 to AKL then another few to MEL too long! I would not do that again.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Since I'm pretty set with using Oneworld, can you help me brainstorm possible connecting cities? I've tried HKG, HAN, NRT, KUL, DOH. What am I missing? Are there any segments that you may have had success with?
Since you didn't mention where you're headed in Oz, I'll first mention that you should check MEL, BNE, and even secondary cities for some of their routes, as there are flights to Perth, Adelaide, and Darwin from SE Asia on Qantas and partners. From there you can try to connect domestically, although MPM might come into play.

For Asia, you already checked the OW hubs of KUL, HKG, and NRT. I'm not a OW guy, but is there a reason, other than MPM, that you wouldn't be allowed to go, for example, on AA to PEK, then on QF down to SYD? In that case, I'd check ICN, KIX, PEK, PVG, CAN, SGN, BKK, CGK, and TPE. Again I'm not a OW guy, so I don't know about Jetstar and codeshares, but I'm positive SYD has some sort of flight to all of those. There's also a SCL flight, but that might be further or not allowed, I don't see much about it on discussion boards.

Also, I don't think you'd be able to do OZ via ME from NA. From the EU yes, but not from NA from what I've read, even with US miles interesting rules.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I don't know that this totally fits here, but I also don't know that it fits anywhere else, either.

I'm looking for some help getting to Australia in Business using US Airways miles. I already have a nonstop flight in economy on Qantas, but if possible, I'd like to switch to Biz. I completely understand that I'll need to connect in Asia or the Middle East.

Basically, I've been using the BA, Qantas, and wikipedia websites to attempt to piece together segments. I've found flights getting to Australia, but I can't get home. I know about Virgin Australia availability, but it's just not an option for me this time.

This is actually the best spot for it :).

What time of year do you want to go? This makes a huge impact on what award space might be available.

papa

Level 2 Member
Thanks, all, for your ideas. Looks like a moderator/ Matt moved my post to the correct spot.

I'm looking to go this October and/ or November in and out of Sydney (I know being so close is limiting). I've had the trip planned since February, originally in biz on Star Alliance partners. But then my girlfriend decided to go too, so I had to switch to economy for her, but now she may not go, but then she might, but then she might not... o_O Basically, if she does not end up coming with me, I'd like to switch back to biz.

For Asia, you already checked the OW hubs of KUL, HKG, and NRT. I'm not a OW guy, but is there a reason, other than MPM, that you wouldn't be allowed to go, for example, on AA to PEK, then on QF down to SYD?
AA seems to have pretty poor availability to Asia, so that's been limiting.

When I was looking at tickets earlier this year, I found some saver award business class seats to all the major cities (BNE/SYD/MEL) on american airlines flying out of LAX and DFW.
You mean Qantas, right? AA doesn't fly down under. This close to my desired dates, Qantas availability is basically zero.
Just got back from a three week trip to New Zealand/Australia and went via PVG on a US Air star alliance awrd (booked right before the change to 1World). I dont know 1world routings but I would not go gin via Asia-too long-- 14 hrs to PVG then 12.5 to AKL then another few to MEL too long! I would not do that again.
Would you rather do a 15+ hour flight from LAX in economy over an Asia connection in biz? That's a serious question, because I have an econ flight booked now. I think I'd rather make a connection in Asia.

Please let me know if you find anything. I have to make the trip once every year or two and am always looking for new/better routes.
I think what will end up happening, if I change at all, is that I'll need to change last minute. JAL seems to open up a good amount of space last minute. As I'm based in PHX, they've got an NRT-SAN on a 787 that would be great.

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
The oneworld flights from the US to oz are codeshared between AA and Qantas. For example the daily flight LAX-BNE is AA7409 or QF16. In the past when I searched on AA there was some intermittent availability. If you don't find anything available on US airways website or qantas.com, you might try scanning through american airlines as well. If your search turns something up on aa.com then maybe a US airways rep can help you book it.

JohnnieD

Level 2 Member
Thanks, all, for your ideas. Looks like a moderator/ Matt moved my post to the correct spot.

I'm looking to go this October and/ or November in and out of Sydney (I know being so close is limiting). I've had the trip planned since February, originally in biz on Star Alliance partners. But then my girlfriend decided to go too, so I had to switch to economy for her, but now she may not go, but then she might, but then she might not... o_O Basically, if she does not end up coming with me, I'd like to switch back to biz.

AA seems to have pretty poor availability to Asia, so that's been limiting.

You mean Qantas, right? AA doesn't fly down under. This close to my desired dates, Qantas availability is basically zero.

Would you rather do a 15+ hour flight from LAX in economy over an Asia connection in biz? That's a serious question, because I have an econ flight booked now. I think I'd rather make a connection in Asia.

I think what will end up happening, if I change at all, is that I'll need to change last minute. JAL seems to open up a good amount of space last minute. As I'm based in PHX, they've got an NRT-SAN on a 787 that would be great.
Honestly, if my only choice was direct in coach or by Asia in business,I would take the connection in Asia. On our outbound, we had a 22 hr stopover in PVG. That helped alot, including the ride on the Maglev train into the city. This was my 2nd (wife's 3rd) trip downunder and if we did it again, we would only fly direct from LAX on VA.

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
Would you rather fly 15 hours in economy or 20-25 hours in business (both these numbers are probably low considering the layover times, checkin, security, customs and baggage claim)? But even sticking with a low estimate for a round trip so we're talking 30 hours travel time vs 40-50 hours. It it worth losing up to an extra day and spending the extra miles for the privilege of flying in a nicer seat? Not worth it to me. Now if you were going to stop and smell the roses in Asia that would be a different matter.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Would you rather fly 15 hours in economy or 20-25 hours in business (both these numbers are probably low considering the layover times, checkin, security, customs and baggage claim)? But even sticking with a low estimate for a round trip so we're talking 30 hours travel time vs 40-50 hours. It it worth losing up to an extra day and spending the extra miles for the privilege of flying in a nicer seat? Not worth it to me. Now if you were going to stop and smell the roses in Asia that would be a different matter.
If you're tiny elvis, then that makes me big guy elvis. So I'd go through Asia in J over direct in Y anyday. I'd go via Asia, India and Africa in J over direct in Y.

KyRoamer

Level 2 Member
Would you rather fly 15 hours in economy or 20-25 hours in business. Is it worth losing up to an extra day and spending the extra miles for the privilege of flying in a nicer seat? Not worth it to me. Now if you were going to stop and smell the roses in Asia that would be a different matter.
Economy plus/comfort/or whatever its called may be an option justifying the direct flight. Still I prefer business class. Whether I'd risk a connecting flight depends on how safe a layover. If just a hour or two I'd fly direct if I could get the extra space in economy. Also direct flights have less (still some) risk of luggage going astray.

midnightinharlem

Level 2 Member
I'm trying to plan a last minute trip from NYC somewhere, leaving ~12/5 and returning ~12/14). Looking at Southeast Asia (Thailand and Singapore, with potential stops in Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam). No clue where I should even start as far as good award programs with availability. Any tips?

asthejoeflies

Staff member
Then Asia is your oyster! You can look for Cathay Pacific to get you to Hong Kong as a base (flights from LAX, SFO, YVR, YYZ, ORD, JFK, EWR and maybe one or two more I forgot). On *A you can use UA miles to fly Thai to BKK, or Singapore to SIN. Since you are a few weeks out there should be space opening up soon if it hasn't already. SQ space you need to search somewhere besides united.com though. UA also gets you to S. Korea (ICN) on Asiana or NRT on ANA. Tons of options!

Once you get to Asia you can book your shorthaul flights from there with little issue.

PWMTrav

Staff member
I have to suggest, if you have the points - What about SQ suites JFK-SIN? CX F JFK-YVR-HKG (or a direct, I think there is one). I think most would say those are the two best products in the sky, if the miles and availability are there. For SQ, you can search their own website. I tend to search CX space on ba.com.