The Original Thread

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Good to know of an alternative coming out of SAN. We're in OC so it's roughly the same distance to SAN. Are there any carriers that run a non-stop lie-flat J or F out of SAN to North Asia? Google flights only shows JL but I trust you guys more than Google :p
I wish, but no. We have a nonstop flight on BA from SAN to LHR, the aforementioned JL flight to NRT, and flights to Mexico. That's the sum total of our international flights. At least the lounge situation is decent. There is a combined Admirals Club/American Express lounge that these carriers use.

misterbwong

Level 2 Member
Hmm. This is a bit misleading but interesting. Did a bit of digging into the SAN-NRT route and JL's site shows that they're flying the 787-8 SAN-NRT with the new lie-flat SkySuites (https://www.jal.co.jp/en/787/) but seatguru shows angled lie-flat (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Japan_Airlines/Japan_Airlines_787-800.php). Looking at the seat map when booking a rev ticket, it looks like it's actually the angled-lie-flats because a full row #10 is showing. Goes to show you can't always trust marketing materials....

edit: reading into it more. I'm the idiot. They say 787 is on SAN-NRT but they don't say SkySuite is on that route.

Last edited:

misterbwong

Level 2 Member
Just bumped into this, might help others. Looks like LAX-KIX is restarting next Mar and J availability is pretty good. It's a good "backup" route to keep in mind if you're thinking of going to Asia. I'm actually thinking of going LAX-KIX-TSA because TSA is ~10 minutes from my potential hotel in Taipei whereas TPE is ~1hr by bus/MRT.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Hmm. This is a bit misleading but interesting. Did a bit of digging into the SAN-NRT route and JL's site shows that they're flying the 787-8 SAN-NRT with the new lie-flat SkySuites (https://www.jal.co.jp/en/787/) but seatguru shows angled lie-flat (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Japan_Airlines/Japan_Airlines_787-800.php). Looking at the seat map when booking a rev ticket, it looks like it's actually the angled-lie-flats because a full row #10 is showing. Goes to show you can't always trust marketing materials....

edit: reading into it more. I'm the idiot. They say 787 is on SAN-NRT but they don't say SkySuite is on that route.
If you haven't looked at this already, check the following link for when the skysuites are rolled out and angled seats will pave way for fully flat based on the flights and routes

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/inter/rosen/index03.html

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
Alright I could really use some help to fill in two missing pieces in our upcoming RTW trip. I still need to get from Paris - Budapest and then from Bali - home (BWI) ideally on Christmas day.
Paris > Budapest - I've tried like crazy to figure out how to use avios, thinking they'd be the best option. Nothing on BA search and I signed up for expertflyer and couldn't find something that didn't have an overnight stop (can't imagine I'm using it correctly just yet though). This is my first time booking award flights other than the stupid simple rapid rewards program. This is infinitely harder.
Bali > Home - We're going 3/4 rtw in economy and I'd like to splurge this once on a first class product. Sounds like the best value is Cathay Pacific first class to NY and we'll get home from there. This flight can be anytime between Jan.4th and 10th. I know we need to wait until a week or so out for the availability and someone mentioned booking the flight from Bali to a main hub like singapore or HK and then we can fly from there. I have 123k AA miles and probably the same in UR points. Do I transfer UR - to avios to get from Bali to a hub or transfer them into AA and book the whole flight as Bali to home?
Lastly, do I call AA or Cathay when trying to use the AA miles for the award booking on Cathay? Thanks a ton in advance. Should've been more in advance myself.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
@ninjasurfer99 - I'm assuming there are two of you?

Yes, BUD is a little tricky to get to efficiently with Avios from Paris. I would suggest looking at the following options:
- Avios: CDG-VIE, followed by train (there is some availability around 12/25)
- Buying a ticket on Ryan Air or Wizair from Beauvais (north of Paris) or Charleroi (south of Brussels). I have no idea about schedules or how easy it is to get to either airport from Paris though sorry! Also, Easyjet flies CDG-BUD.
- If neither of those appeal, keep checking BA/AA for routes via LHR/HEL/TXL. Even paying for the 2-stop will be similar price in miles to AA/UA/SQ.
- You could also look at *A availability and book via SQ - it would avoid the $75 late booking fee with United, though I am unsure of how the surcharges would be for intra-Europe flights. SN have direct BRU-BUD flights that you should check too in this case.

Do you have Amex points? If so, AF flies to BUD but limited availability.

For the return from Bali, if you want CX first you will need another 12k AA miles (135k for 2 people one way). While there is no F availability in your time frame, there is a bunch of J availability to both NYC and ORD - with advantage 2 one-ways would only be 110k miles. If CX also has DPS-HKG availability, you can ticket the return trip with one award, so no need to transfer UR to BA for this purpose. You will need to call AA to book these flights.

Nick

Last edited:

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
I still need to get from Paris - Budapest and then from Bali - home (BWI) ideally on Christmas day.
Paris > Budapest - I've tried like crazy to figure out how to use avios, thinking they'd be the best option. Nothing on BA search and I signed up for expertflyer and couldn't find something that didn't have an overnight stop (can't imagine I'm using it correctly just yet though). This is my first time booking award flights other than the stupid simple rapid rewards program. This is infinitely harder.
I don't envy you the challenge of putting this together so close to the travel date. The first place I'd start is to see what is available as flights, paid or otherwise, by checking flights.google.com. I spotted one nonstop flight on Air France. Do you hae AS miles? I've read that you can get award seats on AF with AS miles. I don't know how to check AF availability and I do not know how many AS miles it would take. Do you have UA miles? If so, there are a range of routings available such as LH via FRA. A sane routing is more available in C than in Y. C costs 30K UA miles per person. You can move UR points into your UA program. You'll see that the BA routing that is shown is from Orly via Heathrow to Budapest. There is a 22 hour stop in London. I also checked gcmap.com to see the distance from Paris to Budapest. It is 777 miles so would be a relatively long ride.

Bali > Home - We're going 3/4 rtw in economy and I'd like to splurge this once on a first class product. Sounds like the best value is Cathay Pacific first class to NY and we'll get home from there. This flight can be anytime between Jan.4th and 10th. I know we need to wait until a week or so out for the availability and someone mentioned booking the flight from Bali to a main hub like singapore or HK and then we can fly from there. I have 123k AA miles and probably the same in UR points. Do I transfer UR - to avios to get from Bali to a hub or transfer them into AA and book the whole flight as Bali to home?
Lastly, do I call AA or Cathay when trying to use the AA miles for the award booking on Cathay? Thanks a ton in advance. Should've been more in advance myself.
You cannot move UR points to AA.

How well do you know the Avios program? You'll want to do some fast reading. Avios are charged per flight not per one way. You can find their award bands in this chart. Use gcmap.com to determine your distances.

DPS-HKG - 2136 miles - zone 4
HKG-NYC - 8062 miles - zone 9

DPS-HKG is 12,500 in coach or 25,000 in C one way. There is no F on the route.
HKG-NYC is 50,000 in coach or 50,000 in C or 75,000 in F.

Thus, if you find C from Bali to HKG and fly F on, it will cost you 100K Avios per person.

AA charges 67.5K miles for DPS-NYC in F one way.

You call the airline where you have points to do the booking. Thus, you will call AA if you are using AAdvantage miles and BA if you are using Avios. There is a phone booking fee. AA has a close in booking fee I believe unless you have elite status.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
I spotted one nonstop flight on Air France. Do you hae AS miles? I've read that you can get award seats on AF with AS miles. I don't know how to check AF availability and I do not know how many AS miles it would take.
Nice thought on AS. I hadn't ever considered them for short hops on AF. Cost would be 15k/25k one way.

You can check these flights on alaska.com easily. Sadly now only J is coming back for 25k plus $60. AS is also selling miles now for approximately 2.2c/mile, but this doesn't really work out too well for the BUD flights if you are starting from zero (>$900 for two seats). From my quick search it seems Y is pretty tight over the Christmas period in Europe - not surprising I guess!

Last edited:

SCC

Level 2 Member
Could use some advice for a friend. She's trying to go from Dallas to the Pacific Northwest, with interest in hitting Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver. Any suggestions?

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Could use some advice for a friend. She's trying to go from Dallas to the Pacific Northwest, with interest in hitting Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver. Any suggestions?
I'm not quite sure what your question is. You haven't given us any mileage balances. But let me plunge in regardless. She can consider flying into Portland, out of Vancouver, and using ground transport in between. I believe that the train is quite efficient between Portland and Seattle. I've taken the bus between Vancouver and Seattle. Or, if she has Avios, flights are super cheap on AS between Portland/Seattle/Vancouver.

SCC

Level 2 Member
I'm not quite sure what your question is. You haven't given us any mileage balances. But let me plunge in regardless. She can consider flying into Portland, out of Vancouver, and using ground transport in between. I believe that the train is quite efficient between Portland and Seattle. I've taken the bus between Vancouver and Seattle. Or, if she has Avios, flights are super cheap on AS between Portland/Seattle/Vancouver.
Sorry for not providing more details. She's new to all this, so assume starting from scratch, and I'll probably be recommending she sign up for a CC with a good bonus for the best program. E.g., given that she may fly in and out of different cities I wouldn't recommend US Airways.

AA is always solid as far as departing from DFW goes, but I wasn't sure if they're the best ones to try to get up to the Pacific Northwest, instead of something like United or even Alaska (whose program I have almost no knowledge about).

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Southwest often has very good prices (and therefore good points prices) to Portland and Seattle and you can jump around between those cities with BA Avios on Alaska. Would it be a problem to fly out of DAL and return to DFW or vice versa?

SCC

Level 2 Member
Southwest often has very good prices (and therefore good points prices) to Portland and Seattle and you can jump around between those cities with BA Avios on Alaska. Would it be a problem to fly out of DAL and return to DFW or vice versa?
No problem doing that.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Another possibility if you can find the entire trip on AS metal is DFW-PDX(stopover)-YVR(destination)-SEA(stopover)-DFW at 25K AS miles roundtrip. The problem there is that award availability on AS flights away from the West coast is slim.

The good news is that the AS card gives the miles right away with no spending required. If the dates work, you could do DFW-PDX 6/12 and PDX-YVR and YVR-SEA basically any days you want, for 12,500 AS miles and 4500 Avios, and return SEA-DAL for 7500-12000 Southwest points OR return nonstop on AA 6/20, 26 or 27 for 10000 Avios.

If she wants one card and simplicity for this one trip, I guess I'd recommend (shudders) Sapphire Preferred.The entire trip hitting all 3 cities is, worst case with flexible dates, 25K UA miles and 9K Avios.

Reactions: SCC

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
I'd second Kenny's advice here to check Southwest's fares - it may be one of those itineraries that are better paid for with cash if you can book far enough in advance, and you don't actually have a stash of miles that need to be used.

But if you want to consider another option beyond WN and BA, Alaska's program does have some nice features like a stopover on a one way. So for 25k from DFW, subject to availability, you should be able to book a round trip to YVR (say) with 2 stopovers (SEA/PDX). I think the standard sign up offer for the AS Visa is 25k.

Edit: Kenny posted similar suggestions while I was composing!

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I'm thinking of going to AMS for a few days on UA in first. There is a nonstop from EWR-AMS. On the United site it claims it costs 80k each way. Am I reading the Krisflyer rates right that it would only cost be 67.5k to book through them? If that's right, do I just transfer the miles from and then call up Singapore customer service? Is there a better option? I see the availability on United, just not sure what the best value is. I have lots of MR and UR.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
I'm thinking of going to AMS for a few days on UA in first. There is a nonstop from EWR-AMS.
The UA nonstops that I found, UA 878 and UA 70, have two classes of service. Business is 57.5K miles. I haven't yet replicated what you found. What is the flight number?

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
UA 878. Looking at departing Thursdays in March.
Yeah, UA is 80k in F per one way.

The 67.5k with SQ is for their metal only - so on the JFK-FRA flight only. But you do get a 15% discount for booking online! So if you can find space, it's 57,375 for a one-way in F (plus about $230 in fees). For a *A carrier redemption with SQ, the price is the same as UA (80k).

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
@NEPIC and @SanDiego1K , You guys rock! Thanks for the great info. So after looking into everything all day my best choice for Paris - Budapest is going to end up being on Transavia? Anyone fly these guys before? It's about 225 pp a/i and I just had my wife expedite the Arrival card to help pick up those flights.

As for Bali to NYC, I had a buddy transfer over the 12k I needed at a cost of 105 dollars because of the 30% off promotion. So now I need to pray they open up space in F and that I'll have a way of contacting AA to make the booking. So now my question is this - Should I wait and see if I can just book DPS - NY routing through HK for the 67.5k miles each OR use 12.5k avios to book DPS - HKG in advance and ensure we get to HKG and then book Cathay F home from there? Thanks again guys - overwhelmed by your generosity in time!

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
I'm thinking of going to AMS for a few days on UA in first. There is a nonstop from EWR-AMS. On the United site it claims it costs 80k each way. Am I reading the Krisflyer rates right that it would only cost be 67.5k to book through them? If that's right, do I just transfer the miles from and then call up Singapore customer service? Is there a better option? I see the availability on United, just not sure what the best value is. I have lots of MR and UR.
If you have a bunch of MR, I will suggest transferring to Delta. Honestly, I would chose DL's BE over UA's F given the mileage difference. Heck, I think I would chose them over UA J too :D

DL is 125k return, plus airport taxes, and the Amex tax on point transfers to US programs.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
@NEPIC and @SanDiego1K , You guys rock! Thanks for the great info. So after looking into everything all day my best choice for Paris - Budapest is going to end up being on Transavia? Anyone fly these guys before? It's about 225 pp a/i and I just had my wife expedite the Arrival card to help pick up those flights.

As for Bali to NYC, I had a buddy transfer over the 12k I needed at a cost of 105 dollars because of the 30% off promotion. So now I need to pray they open up space in F and that I'll have a way of contacting AA to make the booking. So now my question is this - Should I wait and see if I can just book DPS - NY routing through HK for the 67.5k miles each OR use 12.5k avios to book DPS - HKG in advance and ensure we get to HKG and then book Cathay F home from there? Thanks again guys - overwhelmed by your generosity in time!
No experience on Transavia...but I think a good state of mind going in is to prepare to hold you ankles. And it can't possibly be worse than Ryan Air! Right?

My advice on the Bali return is to book what you can now DPS-HKG-NYC-(WAS) as one AA award. Book Y/J on the DPS-HGK leg and J on the HKG-NYC leg. If F opens up, you can upgrade the award for just the mileage (no change fee). CX J is about as good as it gets if F doesn't open up, and you will some peace of mind for the next few weeks.

The only reason to book a separate leg DPS-HKG with Avios is if you want a stopover in HKG.

Nick

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
If you have a bunch of MR, I will suggest transferring to Delta. Honestly, I would chose DL's BE over UA's F given the mileage difference. Heck, I think I would chose them over UA J too :D

DL is 125k return, plus airport taxes, and the Amex tax on point transfers to US programs.
Thanks - I did a check on Delta and unfortunately found very little availability for when I am looking.

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
@NEPIC I found 2 economy seats left on a DPS - HKG flight and 2 business seats on the HKG - JFK leg. The challenge is that all of the flights to HKG land too late to take a flight out that day. That means I'd fly to HKG Wednesday, stay the night and leave from there Thursday. Does that all count as booking one award ticket? Thanks - I feel like I'm so close to having this together!!

KennyBSAT

Staff member
@NEPIC I found 2 economy seats left on a DPS - HKG flight and 2 business seats on the HKG - JFK leg. The challenge is that all of the flights to HKG land too late to take a flight out that day. That means I'd fly to HKG Wednesday, stay the night and leave from there Thursday. Does that all count as booking one award ticket? Thanks - I feel like I'm so close to having this together!!
Yes, that's a valid one-way itinerary. Just call AA to book it, or to put it on hold for 5 days while you finalize details. Your layover can be up to 24 hours if you want, to give yourself time to spend in HK.

Edit: and then watch for business class space on your DPS-HKG flight, and call AA to upgrade if it shows up.

Unfortunately you can't get a nice clean return from Bali due to the schedule - we have the same situation in July.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
If the time in HKG is less than 24 hours, you are good to go on one award!

Given CX has one flight/day (and Dragonair maybe 2x/week?) it may be necessary to spend the night in HKG anyway - though hopefully a CX flight to NYC will open up in F that connects well with the DPS flight. Regardless, AA also won't charge for a date change with same routing so book what you can now.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Do you leave within 24 hours of arrival? If so, you're good.

Keep in mind that if 2 biz seats become available on DPS-HKG, you can change the award without a rebooking fee.

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
YESSS!!! Christmas came early - I feel so much better having flights home. Thanks again to @SanDiego1K and @NEPIC. I booked DPS - HKG landing at 8:50pm on the 7th and then leaving HKG at 745 on the 8th. I'm actually really excited to get a night and day in HKG, this worked out perfect. The first leg is economy and the main leg is Business.

The only challenge I can foresee now is if I'm not able to get wifi in Bali to check on availability. Is it too late at the airport to upgrade with points? Worst case scenario, I'm sure we'll be VERY happy flying business class back.

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
The only challenge I can foresee now is if I'm not able to get wifi in Bali to check on availability. Is it too late at the airport to upgrade with points? Worst case scenario, I'm sure we'll be VERY happy flying business class back.
Good job! Yes, it's too late at the airport. The ticket has to be reissued by AA. Cathay cannot do it for you.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
YESSS!!! Christmas came early - I feel so much better having flights home. Thanks again to @SanDiego1K and @NEPIC. I booked DPS - HKG landing at 8:50pm on the 7th and then leaving HKG at 745 on the 8th. I'm actually really excited to get a night and day in HKG, this worked out perfect. The first leg is economy and the main leg is Business.

We were just in Bali and wifi was accessible everywhere you would think it should be, so I don't think you will have a problem.

As SanDiego1K says, too late at the airport. I don't know what the official cutoff is, but I would think you would be OK if greater than 24 hours out.

Oh, and enjoy your trip! :)

@KennyBSAT @SanDiego1K - do you know what the official cutoff for award changes are with AA?

Last edited:

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
You guys are awesome! I'll definitely ask for your expertise here when we're ready to book some trips to Southeast Asia and Australia, mostly on AA miles.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
I can't find an official policy nor a relevant datapoint. I'd hazard a guess it's possible until 24 hours before departure, as anything closer wouldn't give them time to reissue the ticket. @ninjasurfer99 please let us know the timing of the change I hope you'll get to make!
Thanks - I couldn't find anything either. I've pushed it close to 24 hours with United, but have no experience with AA in this regard.