The Original Thread

Dkelly1110

Level 2 Member
My dilemma is do I just route via LAX, and add 6-7 hrs to the trip so I can guarantee 2 F seats, or do I chance having one of us in F and the other "marooned" in J if a second F seat doesn't open up.
You don't take that chance on your honeymoon. 2 J from YVR or 2 F from LAX.

Dkelly1110

Level 2 Member
Hi all,

We would like to go this route CGK-SUB-PVG-HKG with stopovers in SUB and PVG.
Alternatively, can also do CGK-SUB-HKG-PVG with stopovers in SUB and HKG.
I'm thinking *A is the way to go here since it will be considered 1 award, right?

We have about 70k UA and 350k UR. Also have plenty of AA miles if that's the better way to go.

Thanks,
Bill
With UA, 1 stopover and a single or double open-jaw allowed, not two stopvoers.

Also HKG and mainland China are in different regions. I believe the routing rules prevent routing via HKG.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
Hi all,

I'm thinking *A is the way to go here since it will be considered 1 award, right?

We have about 70k UA and 350k UR. Also have plenty of AA miles if that's the better way to go.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill - it really seems like you may be asking for the impossible here! :)

Have you reviewed the stopover rules for the various programs you can access? For example, United allows one stopover and two open jaws per return trip, but none on a one-way. It's not clear if you are only wanting a one-way here. AA does not allow stopovers. There's plenty of good resources on the blogosphere regarding stopovers/open jaws.

Given that *A have hubs in TPE, BKK and SIN, it's not going to be the easiest of alliances to work with.

Instead, I would recommend taking a look at the following for your date and cabin preferences:
- Buying a ticket CGK-SUB
- Using Avios (UR) for legs SUB-HKG and HKG-PVG given these price separately so you can get your stop-over, and that fuel surcharges are low on CX/KA.
- Using AA or UA for the return leg PVG-xxx-CGK (if in fact you wanted a return leg).

Nick

gilapoin21

Level 2 Member
Ahh. I thought it's 2 stopovers and 1 open jaw. I can't believe HKG and PVG are actually 2 different regions. LOL.
It's not going to work anyway since I already book 1 way on CX from CMH-CGK using AA miles. This is part of a larger trip where we will use CX from either HKG or PVG back to CMH.

I looked up Avios pricing and found this. We'll stick with Y since both flight are < 5 hrs. Plus CX Y > most US airlines F/J :)

SUB-HKG 12,500 +$25
HKG-PVG 7,500 +$40

Should I even look into Skypesos or would the above be best for comfort/price wise?

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
Skymiles won't help with a one-way, unfortunately.

The Avios pricing seems decent to me, but it's probably worth checking normal fares here too. Some airlines (eg Hong Kong Airlines) have very reasonable one way fares, while others (eg Cathay) don't generally.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Great in theory.. but what happens if only some of the seats open up that you need? Take my issue for example... getting ready to book my honeymoon soon, and on one of the legs I want to fly CX using my AS miles. Now because it's my honeymoon I really want to fly F (yes I know 1st world problems, but getting to eat across from each other just sounds so awesome). Being based out of SEA, flying CX out of YVR would be great, except that they only seem to be offering 1 F seat award per flight. My dilemma is do I just route via LAX, and add 6-7 hrs to the trip so I can guarantee 2 F seats, or do I chance having one of us in F and the other "marooned" in J if a second F seat doesn't open up.
Very simply, you decide if you want YVR and risk not gazing into one anothers eyes for the journey (hint, give up that seat and slum it in J :) honestly, I don't think there is a 'risk' here.. you either turn out to be galant and give up the better seat (worst case) or you get the best route (best case).

Or- you make the flight longer, and get what you want. I'm not up to speed on AS rules, the AA ones I discussed would allow you to book via LAX and then change if two open up.

Toady

Level 2 Member
Very simply, you decide if you want YVR and risk not gazing into one anothers eyes for the journey (hint, give up that seat and slum it in J :) honestly, I don't think there is a 'risk' here.. you either turn out to be galant and give up the better seat (worst case) or you get the best route (best case).

Or- you make the flight longer, and get what you want. I'm not up to speed on AS rules, the AA ones I discussed would allow you to book via LAX and then change if two open up.
That was one thing I was unsure of... how PO'ed the cabin crew would be if we started playing musical chairs during boarding (I'm sure if they allowed it we would make someones day in J).

As for upgrades, there's so much confusion about changing flights and what fees might or might not exist for AS award changes that you can probably talk your way into it. Or at least I was able to on the trip to Italy to propose to my fiancee. Originally I booked us in May of 2013 to go YVR-AMS-VCE and then VCE-AMS-YVR during her spring break. Then she got her finals schedule for spring quarter over Christmas break, and were able to leave 5 days earlier. So we changed to SEA-LAX-CDG-FCO and VCE-AMS-YVR-SEA coming back. 2 weeks later I had enough miles to spring for J going out on the AF A380 from LAX to CDG so I upgraded that segment. Total cost for all changes was... -$26.40. The taxes ended up being cheaper for departing and arriving in the US than Canada...o_O

Of course talking about proposing to my girlfriend in Italy on her first international trip ever might have helped. ;)

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Hi all,

Thanks,
Bill
This is do-able on UA with HKG last, if Silk Air is bookable. I'm not sure about that, if it's just cuz SQ isn't showing online, or if it is the fact that SQ only flies Silk to SUB. I measured it out by subbing KUL for SUB, and it works fine. It's a RT though, not a one-way, and you have one stopover (sub), one destination (pvg), and one open-jaw (hkg). It's two zones, so prices in Y are 40k miles. Lots of connections.

dodachacha

Level 2 Member
So I'm trying to find a way for my (90-year old) Grandpa to take my (80-year old) Grandma to Rome at some point this fall. He just casually divulged at dinner that he has a whopping 121k US Airways miles, but I can't find any use for them (per usual). They're not getting any younger, so I really want to make this work.

Based out of Chicago, I've found a couple possibilities that route through London, but paying $500pp for a roundtrip that can be found for ~$800 is nonsensical. All I've found on AirBerlin involves changing airports in NYC, which just isn't realistic.

Between my parents and I we could make this happen with ease using United miles, but there HAS to be a way to use all of these USAir miles for something that doesn't completely suck.

Any advice here? Dates are completely flexible.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
ORD-MAD-FCO on IB or ORD-LHR-FCO with the ORD-LHR segment on AA. Is MXP a possibility? It's usually easier to get to, and en easy comfortable train ride from Milan to the center of Rome.

Edit: there are 2 coach saver seats on October 16 or October 20 nonstop ORD-FCO AA110

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
ORD-MAD-FCO on IB or ORD-LHR-FCO with the ORD-LHR segment on AA. Is MXP a possibility? It's usually easier to get to, and en easy comfortable train ride from Milan to the center of Rome.
I just did just this recently, couldn't find FCO so took the train, was nice for us, but I think it depends on how agile they are. Personally I might be more inclined to change planes in NYC than overseas - not that I am being all American here, but they might be more high touch in NYC in terms of helping them transfer than overseas with those dastardly foreigners...

Edit - here's one, 2 seats nonstop on 10/16

ORD-FCO.PNG

But they aren't going to get home from MXP or FCO (nonstop at any rate) at that time... It's do-able though as you can see.

Best thing I have found is to use the AA site and look for their low cost flights (20 or 30K) and if you find them then note the dates/times and then book - note I have never booked a US award, so not sure how the website works, but used it for a post in the past and it was clunky hence me preferring AA.com

Last edited:

dodachacha

Level 2 Member
Thank you so so much @KennyBSAT / @Matt . Found that nonstop earlier but USAir couldn't find it when I called. I'll keep playing around with it and routing through MAD on IB. I also have never booked a US award beyond a basic domestic roundtrip, but this whole process is only reaffirming my love for United miles...

Might just have them open up a new US Air card (they're still churnable yeah?) and book a 30k outbound/45k return. Worth the extra miles, as mobility is very, very limited, so one connection max and definitely no MXPing.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so so much @KennyBSAT / @Matt . Found that nonstop earlier but USAir couldn't find it when I called. I'll keep playing around with it and routing through MAD on IB. I also have never booked a US award beyond a basic domestic roundtrip, but this whole process is only reaffirming my love for United miles...

Might just have them open up a new US Air card (they're still churnable yeah?) and book a 30k outbound/45k return. Worth the extra miles, as mobility is very, very limited, so one connection max and definitely no MXPing.
Not saying you shouldn't open the card, but you won't be able to book with US miles those flights on aa.com... You need the cheapest (MileSaaver can be 30k as 20K is the seasonal price) but the 45k will not work I believe. This is the key to finding award space on partners who have crappy websites... the lowest cost saver flight inventory from AA will be the bucket that is shared with partners, if you find higher priced stuff then it won't show up on US Air.

Since they are both old and need a straight forward solution I would recommend you consider a miles swap between you - get the job done now by booking with your miles, and then either use the US miles now, or wait for AA integration (will likely come with a devaluation). Of course, there may be other dates still open with the US miles, but if you start feeling the cause is lost.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I agree with Matt on both counts. Only 30k level US Awards are available on AA. And you should seek a path for these folks that is easiest due to their age. If resources are available, maybe get one good award and buy a ticket on same flights for the other.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
It ain't perfect, with $32 fees, ~$140 taxes from the Italians and Brits, and an overnight in London, but this works:

10/23 ORD-PHL US758 11:55A-2:49P PHL-FCO US718 6:25P-9:10A+1
or 10/24 ORD-PHL US758 7:26A-10:25A PHL-FCO US718 6:25P-9:10A+1

11/4 FCO-LHR BA547 8:25P-9:55P
11/5 LHR-ORD AA87 10:15A-12:55P

dodachacha

Level 2 Member
By 45k mile outbounds, I meant the medium-level flights on USAir - I should have clarified. 140k (since they'd all be on USAir) [(30+45-5)*2] vs. 120k for something like @KennyBSAT found is a no-brainer in my book. Something like an overnight in London just isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... well I still doubt it would work... if you are booking AA they are still in 'Partner' mode no? So your 45K would be for US Air metal, which doesn't non-stop? I've been wrong today already about something, and I will be again in the next 10 minutes, so double check my thoughts!

If you go down the route of getting a card note that Kenny has links for that card on his blog here: http://saverocity.com/miles4more/personal-cards/ use of that is of course optional, and I am just pimping it for him.

dodachacha

Level 2 Member
It's not non-stop, but a 3-hour layover in Philly/Charlotte (where they've already been multiple times) isn't too bad.

Already used Kenny's link, obviously gotta support the Saverocity fam!

Attachments

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Neat! A little longer but not bad at all! How are US for route changes? If they are nice about it like AA maybe you could book those and then monitor AA inventory for seats opening up?

And the Saverocity family thanks you!

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Yep, unfortunately every other possibility is not 90-year-old friendly. Unless there happens to be a fortunate combination of FCO-DOH-ORD seats on QR and a particularly inept agent willing to ticket it.

Last edited:

tly

Level 2 Member
Neat! A little longer but not bad at all! How are US for route changes? If they are nice about it like AA maybe you could book those and then monitor AA inventory for seats opening up?
I believe they charge the $150 change fee for all changes unless you have CP status. If you book fairly far out, can always hope for schedule changes and try to get a free re-route when that happens.

Chum

Level 2 Member
Hi Everyone, I would like to ask for your help in planning a trip to Aruba in January 2015. I currently have roughly 100 UR Points, 100K United, 100K AA and trying to build up Radisson points (currently 60K). We are a family of 3 and we don't mind flying in coach. Home airport is SFO. 6 nights ideally. My plan is using United and UR points for *A flights and build up Radisson points (me and SO both have the Club Carlson cards). I'm looking to maximize the use of our hard earned points. Would a second destination be ideal? Maybe Punta Cana or Turks & Caicos? Any suggestions is appreciated.

asthejoeflies

Staff member
@Chum There's a sprinkling of coach dates on United throughout the month of January from SFO to Aruba. Both there and back. If you wanted to have some extra fun, you could

a) plan a stopover in a US city, like houston (I remember one of the flights routed through there). Bet one might route through Newark too
b) Book a cash flight from Aruba to another island in the Caribbean and come back from there

Or both.

Looks like 35K per person in coach

KennyBSAT

Staff member
@Chum - At each previous Southwest calendar extension, they have added more destinations with scheduled service to the Caribbean. Another extension is scheduled for Monday (now scheduled for 8/4), so I'd look and see what Southwest offers. Is enough MS or a pair of Southwest cards for a companion pass a possibility for you?

Last edited:

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Caribbean can be an interesting value for miles. A few things come to mind. One is that Caribbean to some locations is cheaper than US to those locations. So if you have travel planned in the future, look at one ways with caribbean to SFO/lengthy stopover/SFO to other place. Travel is Free discussed the Caribbean Hopper, take a look at his posts on this for some ideas too.

Also SFO-MIA has had some good deals pop up in the past few months of watching flight deal and so forth. If you're looking to minimize cash outlay totally, understandable and then not a big deal. But if you're open to buying tickets, you could buy to MIA, stop there, and use Avios to many points in the Caribbean as they are short flights.

As for hotels, I found them expensive on STT and STJ. I would definitely use the Carlson points, and get the cards (with an s) so you can do 2 for 1 nights there.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
What are the cheapest options available for RDU-LHR-RDU? As far as i know, i see that AA miles is the best for travel redemptions on economy - 20k during non-peak and 30k during peak months. I see so many conflicting opinions on redemption for Business class though. I am looking to travel to LHR July 2015 for a family of 3 and i have enough AA miles for 50k business class redemptions (300k for RT for 3). However, are there any cheaper options out there? Would like to learn from others experiences.

asthejoeflies

Staff member
I think in terms of convenience AA is your best bet. You could do stuff like get up to Boston and fly to Dublin on Aer Lingus for 50K round trip in business per person but then you'd still have to get to London after that.

From RDU you could just to RDU-Anywhere-LHR. Try to find seats on AA so you don't have to pay the crazy taxes and fuel surcharges with British Airways.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
From RDU you could just to RDU-Anywhere-LHR. Try to find seats on AA so you don't have to pay the crazy taxes and fuel surcharges with British Airways.
Or just do the RDU-LHR nonstop if you can wrangle a seat away from Glaxo-Smith-Kline, which the flight mostly is built around.

AA off-peak is best value by far. If looking for J, then I'd still stick with AA from RDU looking for the non-stop (although I don't know AA's seats on the 767 and how good they are). UA, DL, AS, and Avios are all gonna be more miles than AA. Also I'd try and book this sooner rather than later, as no one knows when the AA inflation will happen and if it will hit suddenly or with a cushion.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
Looking to book our first award trip to Hawaii next August, first two weeks of the month. Tentative plan is to fly CVG-SAN or LAX for a two-day visit to Legoland, then continue on to Hawaii for 9-10 days. We need four tickets. Here are current point totals:

AA 111,000 (additional 116,000 will post 9/16-- Citi screwed up, long story)
Chase UR total 194,000
My Delta 77,000
Husband's Delta 20,000
SPG 94,000
Amex MR 110K will post 10/8ish
Barclay's 90,000

Any thoughts? Total noob on the redemption side of things. :) Help!

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Looking to book our first award trip to Hawaii next August, first two weeks of the month. Tentative plan is to fly CVG-SAN or LAX for a two-day visit to Legoland, then continue on to Hawaii for 9-10 days. We need four tickets. Here are current point totals:

AA 111,000 (additional 116,000 will post 9/16-- Citi screwed up, long story)
Chase UR total 194,000
My Delta 77,000
Husband's Delta 20,000
SPG 94,000
Amex MR 110K will post 10/8ish
Barclay's 90,000

Any thoughts? Total noob on the redemption side of things. :) Help!
I love Avios to Hawaii from the west coast for only 25K R/T per person in coach. SAN flies to three islands direct (Honolulu, Kahului, Lihue) on Alaska. You can transfer 100K UR or MR to British Airways. You have to call BA to book Alaska flights and they will usually waive the booking charge. Search on Alaska for low level availability of 20K for direct flights only. Early July 2015 is wide open right now. You won't be able to see availability for August 2015 for another month due to the 331 day availability rule.

I did this from SMF with my family of 5 over Xmas break for 125K Avios to Maui.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
I love Avios to Hawaii from the west coast for only 25K R/T per person in coach. SAN flies to three islands direct (Honolulu, Kahului, Lihue) on Alaska. You can transfer 100K UR or MR to British Airways. You have to call BA to book Alaska flights and they will usually waive the booking charge. Search on Alaska for low level availability of 20K for direct flights only. Early July 2015 is wide open right now. You won't be able to see availability for August 2015 for another month due to the 331 day availability rule.

I did this from SMF with my family of 5 over Xmas break for 125K Avios to Maui.
Great advice! Thanks! I will watch for award availability in a couple of weeks. :)