The appeal of the Barclays Arrival card?

Daniel

#hackingtheplane(t)
Of is it a function of the max award you can accumulate? I did my scribbling based on $100, and found that on the second time the award was multipled by 10%, you'd get ($2, 0.20, 0.02) and 10% of 2 cents isn't going to get you anything. But if we started with 1000, you get another decimal position. Hmmm. I'm done now.
Yep. See above. Since we were dealing with percents, my original formula omitted the scale factor, which is your starting # of points. If that number is sufficiently large, stuff becomes significant.

quasi8

Level 2 Member
I have the card but the terms are changing for everyone in the upcoming year if you aren't aware, I guess all great things come to an end eventually this card is great for filling in the blanks in travel expenses but now they need to be bigger blanks $100+ which can make redemption trickier

projectx

Level 2 Member
I have the card but the terms are changing for everyone in the upcoming year if you aren't aware, I guess all great things come to an end eventually this card is great for filling in the blanks in travel expenses but now they need to be bigger blanks $100+ which can make redemption trickier
Agreed. When I could get AGCs with the A+ this was a great card. Then with the 5% rebate... still good for me. But tack on the $100 minimum and that the best I can seem to do are OVs for $4.95 (I don't mess with PayPal)... it may be time to find a replacement.

quasi8

Level 2 Member
Was thinking the same thing myself not sure what to go with yet but I have a few miles I am planning on using before they drop the redemption bonus down to 5% at least they gave plenty of notice is one thing that was nice.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Agreed. When I could get AGCs with the A+ this was a great card. Then with the 5% rebate... still good for me. But tack on the $100 minimum and that the best I can seem to do are OVs for $4.95 (I don't mess with PayPal)... it may be time to find a replacement.
I recently canceled mine, even tho I believe you can find me in previous pages touting how useful I thought the card was. With the $25 minimum refund I still left $11 of "points" on the closed card. To have to meet $100, it's even more tricky to get it quite right (although my last rebate WAS $100 :)).

Anyway, I was going to call and see about getting the fee waived. However, I did latch onto a Discover MilesIt card at 1.5x times 2 for the year, so the A+ wouldn't have been touched this year anyway. I'll take my chances on getting it (and the bonus) again sometime in the future.

quasi8

Level 2 Member
I recently canceled mine, even tho I believe you can find me in previous pages touting how useful I thought the card was. With the $25 minimum refund I still left $11 of "points" on the closed card. To have to meet $100, it's even more tricky to get it quite right (although my last rebate WAS $100 :)).

Anyway, I was going to call and see about getting the fee waived. However, I did latch onto a Discover MilesIt card at 1.5x times 2 for the year, so the A+ wouldn't have been touched this year anyway. I'll take my chances on getting it (and the bonus) again sometime in the future.
Since I was a newer card member I'm on the later date for the changes but going to try and burn the miles before my af is due, but I'm pretty sure time is short for this card for me also.

projectx

Level 2 Member
In reality I don't think the $100 minimum is that big of a deal. Most of my redemptions are going to be that high, and if not, I'll just use cashback I accumulate through other cards. Plus, IIRC they give you the option of using a partial statement credit or a full credit. So if you're sitting on say 17,000 points and do a hotel stay for $200, you can use up all of your points.

I haven't thrown in the towel on this card yet; probably because I'm sitting on 71k points that are earmarked for a trip this spring. But I am waiting (hoping) AGCs come back. If not, I'll probably drop this card after I burn my points.

Hey there's an angle... get Barclays to put pressure on Amex to bring back the GCs to portals! It's hurting their business! :D

gmenrule

Level 2 Member
I just got a letter today via snail mail saying "we will be making the following changes to the Rewards Program Rules, effective Aug 16, 2016. So 10% until then!

quasi8

Level 2 Member
I just got a letter today via snail mail saying "we will be making the following changes to the Rewards Program Rules, effective Aug 16, 2016. So 10% until then!
Yes I got the letter also and read about it online before and am also at the August deadline. I mean the 5% difference isn't huge but still taking something we already had without really adding any additional value.

Timrek

Level 2 Member
Yes I got the letter also and read about it online before and am also at the August deadline. I mean the 5% difference isn't huge but still taking something we already had without really adding any additional value.
I agree. The difference between the 5 and 10 percent bonus isn't such a big deal but combined with the 100 dollar minimum it makes the card less valuable.
For example, on my most recent churn, I had 46000 points after getting the bonus and used them for a refundable southwest ticket. Under the old rules, that gave me an additional 4600 points to use for $46 in small expenses like train tickets but now it's only $23 or so that can't be used.
But it's still an easy $460 minus MS expenses, so can't complain.

A

all328

I recently downgraded from the AF+. The signup bonus was good and by putting all my non category spending I had around 90k points. I got great value using it for cruises, train rides, and ferries during my Scandinavian vacation this past summer.