The appeal of the Barclays Arrival card?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I could be wrong but doesn't Barclays mainly deal with how many TU inquiries? Also, AFAIK the score Barclays provides is actual FICO-- it's shown w/TM-FICO®. I do know they play hardball. My total CL, two cards, is lower than any other single CC I have. I've been trying to figure out whether to switch some CL from US Air and let it die or ask for CLI on Arrival+.

I'm not sure there's any definitive answer except again AFAIK the HP won't show up on EXP so shouldn't affect future apps--please correct me if I'm wrong.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
OP I agree with you whole heartedly. This card is mediocre at best. I think inevitably when people see every blogger pump this card endlessly they fall into the trap of believing it. Any blogger with a pulse can get Barclays links (a la Miles Professor, who once wrote a post that you should be using it for Simon Mall MS --- Lol) and jam it down your throat in every post.

Look let's be honest the ONLY reason to get the card is because they pull transunion and $444 sign up bonus isn't bad, but let's face it I'd never waste an EQ or EX for $444 when I can churn the AA Exec by wasting those pulls.

Why not pick up Fidelity and be done with it? Or SPG? You'd have to really suck at this game to not get $.022 per value from a starwood point.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
While this card isn't for everyone, I have been eye'ing it for several reasons. No FTF, Chip-and-PIN, and 2.2% CB. You can't get that from your other 2% cards.

Last edited:

projectx

Level 2 Member
I used to scratch my head at this card too, but the more I think about how to use it I'm eye'ing it now too. Along with the reasons listed by PainCorp, if used with cashback or other portals, getting better than 2.2% back isn't very hard.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yep, find me a card that is better for Coop than this? Most cash back in larger amounts is for category spend and many cards are not MC or VS either.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
If you want chip and pin why not get the low end Diners, you'll also receive lounge access with it for the same AF?

Why settle with 2.2% for non bonused spend when EVERYTHING can be bonused spend if you buy a OV with a 5% card?

The card is pretty with its light blue border but it's not really that compelling to use.

F

Fuerza

A large majority of my credit cards have no FTF. I honestly see little "benefit" in that. Chip and fine but as the powers that be force the hand of the banks to make chip and pin or chip and sig mandatory that benefit is also not much of a benefit. What I don't like is the faulty marketing. Arrival is a 2 points or miles card that has points valued at 50% unless you redeem for travel. That is just shady IMO. My Priceline is a straight 2 points redeemable for statement credits. Not fuss, no guess no funky marketing.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Why settle with 2.2% for non bonused spend when EVERYTHING can be bonused spend if you buy a OV with a 5% card?
Because OBC is getting shutdown left and right, and other than limited rotating category cards, that's it for 5% at grocery and pharmacy. Honest question... what am I missing? I don't have RedBird or Barclay card yet, but combining those with AGC cashback portals I can net 3% (for now, anyway). Sure most has to be used on travel, but that's why I MS anyway.

Last edited:

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
Because OBC is getting shutdown left and right, and other than limited rotating category cards, that's it for 5% at grocery and pharmacy. Honest question... what am I missing? I don't have RedBird or Barclay card yet, but combining those with AGC cashback portals I can net 3% (for now, anyway). Sure most has to be used on travel, but that's why I MS anyway.
My point is you can use those OVs for everyday purchases and not solely for MS. How much non bonused spend can you do in a month ? $1,000? OBC isn't going to shut you down with $1k a month of 5% spend. Your return is nearly double that of Arrival with that method.

projectx

Level 2 Member
My point is you can use those OVs for everyday purchases and not solely for MS. How much non bonused spend can you do in a month? $1,000? OBC isn't going to shut you down with $1k a month of 5% spend. Your return is nearly double that of Arrival with that method.
That's a given, but that's assuming that you (1) don't have the card, (2) have not been shut down yet, or (3) don't already use it for a fair amount of MS and want to keep it at a "reasonable" level. For some people the Arrival makes sense. It all depends on your situation and the other cards already in your collection. The OBC is my bread and butter, with the Ink Plus my mashed potatoes. After that, the Arrival is a decent choice depending on your circumstances. And if things keep going the way they are, I'll need some sort of substitute for my rolls.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
That's a given, but that's assuming that you (1) don't have the card, (2) have not been shut down yet, or (3) don't already use it for a fair amount of MS and want to keep it at a "reasonable" level. For some people the Arrival makes sense. It all depends on your situation and the other cards already in your collection. The OBC is my bread and butter, with the Ink Plus my mashed potatoes. After that, the Arrival is a decent choice depending on your circumstances. And if things keep going the way they are, I'll need some sort of substitute for my rolls.
So buy Amex gift cards through a portal for non bonused spend. There are plenty of ways to get high returning non bonuses spend. It doesn't matter the method. My point is that paying $95 a year for the "luxury" of earning 2.2% (and a bunch of other mediocre benefits) is terrible.

The card has it's uses, mainly via sign up bonus but after that the card should be iced. (Depending on whether or not you believe barclays wants spend on their cards before letting you churn the US airways).

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
In reality, what one person believes is the ideal mix of CCs is an entirely individual choice.

You may think you have it made, but Diner's Club is not accepted in many places (it was the card given for travel expense by a former employer, till too many people ended using their own credit, when they couldn't use it for various needs in other cities).

Asking why people like a particular card is a good idea. But assuming that they like it for reasons inferior to your liking yours is not.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Asking why people like a particular card is a good idea. But assuming that they like it for reasons inferior to your liking yours is not.
Agreed. I wasn't really thinking about changing what I was doing. I DO use my SPG card at Simon Malls when I can ... but AMEX isn't accepted everywhere. The OV thing wouldn't work well for me (although I will reconsider this once I review our 2 new AMEX cards ... NOT old Blue). So, I use this card when there is no other card that works better ... for me. That means it's that last card on the list of choices, but it gets used.

Not sure where the one stated valuation came from. I've been using it to refund travel expenses at 2.0%, with the 10% rebate. And it sure is a lot easier doing this than ordering cards online (or picking up instore) and trying to get the logistics just right. I have enough logistical fun already.

You can't beat the signup bonus. That should be a given. But it's also possible to skirt on the annual fee. I did it. Even more interesting, my current rebatable listing show I can reverse the annual fee (which went on the statement, followed by a credit) or my visit to the PIMA Air and Space Museum, Tuscon in October. A couple more dollars and I can zero out on either. Without leaving the house.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
(although I will reconsider this once I review our 2 new AMEX cards ... NOT old Blue).
Is there a working link to try to the OBC card still around? PM's certainly welcome. I'll search a little on my own. Not sure how I'll fit in in, but all the hub-bub has me thinking about it. Thanks.

projectx

Level 2 Member
My point is that paying $95 a year for the "luxury" of earning 2.2% (and a bunch of other mediocre benefits) is terrible.
Again, it all depends on your use, needs, and how you use all of your cards. Agree to disagree.

Is there a working link to try to the OBC card still around? PM's certainly welcome. I'll search a little on my own. Not sure how I'll fit in in, but all the hub-bub has me thinking about it. Thanks.
I'll send you a PM. Use at your own risk.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'll send you a PM. Use at your own risk.
Thanks. These look like the newer BLUE cards, which I have one (6% up to 6000 on groceries). I was looking for the card that gives 5% after 6500 in spend. I don't see it on their web page. I will keep looking!

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Thanks. These look like the newer BLUE cards, which I have one (6% up to 6000 on groceries). I was looking for the card that gives 5% after 6500 in spend. I don't see it on their web page. I will keep looking!
W-w-w-w-wait. The first link bombed with a 404. THAT'S got to be the one. I'm not so sure the link is alive anymore! Will try again. (Same link I found on FT via google).

knick1959

Level 2 Member
W-w-w-w-wait. The first link bombed with a 404. THAT'S got to be the one. I'm not so sure the link is alive anymore! Will try again. (Same link I found on FT via google).
Ok, sorry, I've got it. I read about how AMEX is masking this page IF you are an existing AMEX customer (i.e., have logged onto their site and have AMEX cookies). So I used a secondary browser and the page popped right up. Thanks. I will quit talking to myself now, and thanks again to @projectx.

raccah

Level 2 Member
You can get the AF dropped - that is not an issue, and if it does not drop, I drop the card. After no fee, the 2.2% is pretty OK, for average spend. yes, I could get 4x for average spend - for as long as our 5x cards last. But, I like to be able to track my spending - and OV is really not the simplest of plans

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
SPG is a great tool, but for those with enough miles to last 3-4 years, doing well with SPG points earned now requires a belief that programs will have available awards then that are worth more than 2.2 cents today. I am not convinced that belief is well placed.

Arrivals is more complex than Fido 2%, but for overseas heavy users, it has a decided edge in benefits, usability and convenience.

milehunter

The Barclays Arrival card is a great option for fixed value travel reward cards. I like that it can be used for Airbnb and other options. Flexperks is another option worth looking into.

jtcho78

Level 2 Member
i've been debating on getting the Arrival card myself, and after reading this thread, I think it will be on my list for my next round of applications. i'm getting a bit wary on what AF cards I should keep ongoing. I'm pretty sure that Marriott Preferred, Club Carlson, CSP are the ones that I'll pay the AF, and this might be the next one. SPG Amex may be another one to add to the list too.

wheater

Level 2 Member
On our most recent trip we used the Barclay A+ to pay for the tab on our room (poolside meals, room service, drinks, etc.) and a sightseeing cruise. When the Barclay portal didn't allow us to redeem points to pay for the sightseeing cruise my wife made a quick phone call and had it redeemed over the phone. They were really good about it. This was all using miles we earned when we hit the minimum spend.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
The appeal of the Arrival card gets lost by anyone counting up the value of their points based on advertized prices of overpriced tickets and hotels. I look at the discount it earns you on paid travel, exactly when and where you want to travel, and allowing you to take advantage of mistake fares and rates, sales and non-chain properties, portal bonuses, rental cars, etc.

Can I afford to drop $2000 at any time for four $500 tickets on some awesome deal? No! Can I earn 200K Arrival points to pay for those tickets within the 120 days that Barclays gives you to redeem? Yes!

For our trips, on maybe one night out of 10 is a major chain (points earning or can be bought with points) even a potentially viable choice. Even then it's rarely the best one.

If you buy AGC with Arrival card, earn 1.5% portal cashback and 2.2 points per dollar and liquidate for 1% in fees, the result is a 69.4% discount on paid travel, what when and where you want, taxes and fees, whatever.

If you load an Atira or Coopera at 10K with Arrival card and liquidate with 70 cent money orders, the result is $215 in free travel credits each month.

If you pay the annual fee on an Arrival card, you're nuts! Trade off with spouse/partner or churn it if you can't get a fee waiver.

For those who have substantial travel budgets and use miles & points to do the travel they'd already be doing in luxury, Arrival is mediocre at best. For others of us who use miles & points to make much more frequent travel possible, Arrival is an awesome tool.

Camplear

Level 2 Member
If you buy AGC with Arrival card, earn 1.5% portal cashback and 2.2 points per dollar and liquidate for 1% in fees, the result is a 69.4% discount on paid travel, what when and where you want, taxes and fees, whatever.
"Paid travel" is where you find the appeal of Arrival. Otherwise ... it's redemption benefit is easily trumped. BUT - if you do have significant paid travel each year & can redeem Arrival's points for all/part of that travel, then to me that is nothing short of cash back. Or put another way - it certainly equates to cash that never had to leave my bank account. Anyone who MS's with Arrival using the resources in this forum should never pay more than 30-35 cents on the dollar out of pocket for redeemable travel.

36902BRF

Level 2 Member
I have to say I am in the camp that I don't see a whole lot of appeal in this card. I have the old Priceline 2% CB everywhere card and so the extra 2/10ths is not all that appealing to me. I don't even find myself using my Priceline card all that much because I am usually hitting minimum spend on other cards and there are other cards that are much more appealing to me from an MS perspective.

ACL

Level 2 Member
I was surprised to get approved for the BA+ about 3 months ago and have been enjoying it VERY much. To me the "appeal" of the card is quite high as:

A. I live overseas in Africa and it is widely accepted where I am and saves me a TON on foreign transaction fees and needing to withdraw local currency from an ATM.

B. I have been able to essentially "wipe out" many costs I would otherwise have had to have paid like award ticket fees on several business class trips, numerous hotel bookings on that crazy Orbitz sale on Monday, and bus tickets everywhere from Africa to South America.

C. The travel community that they run has been an awesome source of generating "miles" as they call them.

Admittedly, I haven't done much MS on this card as doing so is quite hard overseas but the whole concept of "discounting" your travel through MS on the card has occurred to me. Doing so might become more and more attractive with the ongoing shutdowns of lucrative cash back cards.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I'm ready to apply for Arrival+. Any "good" bloggers have referral links? I know a lot of people lost them including Saverocity.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
@MarkD Travelisfree? Or Matt's page which will result in the commission being donated to the charity for this quarter.
Edit: The affiliate offer no longer offers 0%, but I have the 0% offer on my credit cards page. Not that you should be carrying a balance, but having a 0% card can be useful.

Last edited:

Abbazappaplant

Paranoid MS'er :)
Redeeming for MTA monthly pass with some MS each month makes this one a fairly valuable and consistent tool for a New Yorker. While i agree this card isnt best for everyone, it can and does have its purpose, especially with its signup bonus

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
It's actually 2.222222 to infinity...everytime you spend miles on travel, you get another 10% of what you spent, back.

An extra 10% of $100 isn't that much. But if you use it a lot, because you don't have any/many 5% opportunities, that extra becomes significant.

Just MS $10K/20K miles per month, and now you're looking at nearly an extra $270/year. (240 + 24 + 2.40

And, of course, a lot of people MS in much higher quantity.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
It's actually 2.222222 to infinity...everytime you spend miles on travel, you get another 10% of what you spent, back.
I think the perpetual 10% rebate is an interesting scheme. You can't really ever zero out your account. When my fee was due a couple of months back, I was going to try to get it waived, but was ready to cancel. The 1200-something miles left in my account (about $12 in credits) was bugging me and I was tempted to try to get it up to 2500 (the lowest redeemable unit) before I needed to pay the fee. But I couldn't do it. When I was weighing the $89 fee, I ended up subtracting the 12 that I would lose. Still wasn't worth paying the fee to me. Fortunately they waived the fee and I'm back at it again.

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
The perpetual 10% is true, except for the last 250 miles (after redeeming 2,500) that you can never get. So think of it as a "card closing fee" of $2.50.

Another small thing: the rebated travel purchase itself generates miles (unlike using, say, UR as 1.25 cents)
so a $100 purchase yields +200 miles, redeemed for -10,000, and you get back +1,000 -- all in all, you effectively pay 88 miles per dollar (versus the 80 miles per dollar of UR as above).

MotownMan

Level 2 Member
Since the BA+ is different from most travel cards in that you get to *purchase* something, then retroactively redeem miles, doesn't it earn you slightly more than just 2.222? I checked my BA+ account, and even on purchases that I redeemed, I was awarded points. It is a very slight bump, obviously, but is more than you get from other cards.

ACL

Level 2 Member
Since the BA+ is different from most travel cards in that you get to *purchase* something, then retroactively redeem miles, doesn't it earn you slightly more than just 2.222? I checked my BA+ account, and even on purchases that I redeemed, I was awarded points. It is a very slight bump, obviously, but is more than you get from other cards.
Yeah some people like to think of it as generating "more" than 2.22 miles per dollar spent but I think it really depends on the purchases you make with the BA+. Barclays rounds dollar amounts "up" and "down". So if you make a purchase that's exactly 1 dollar, yes... you will get 2.222222 or however you want to think about it. However, if your purchase is 1.07 or something, you would also only get 2 points for it so you would lose out on a tiny fraction of the points in that case. Likewise, if your purchase was 1.93 or something they would probably round the awarded points up to 4. Nothing to lose sleep over, and I think it probably averages out either way but if you really wanted to game this card for every infinitesimale fraction of a point I guess you could try to make all your purchases to the point where they would "round up" haha. Not worth the hassle BUT...