Retention Bonuses

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Its a pretty good deal, though it really all comes down to opportunity cost. If its all 1x spending, then it may make sense to divert 1,000 of monthly 1x spending to the Aviator. Think about it this way. If you spent $1,000 on your Chase card on 1x purchases, its 1,000 Chase UR, which is worth somewhere in the range of $15-$20 bucks depending on how much you value UR. If you put that same spend on your Aviator, you effectively get back around $47 bucks. I reached that number because 1,000 AA miles are worth about $15 (assuming they are worth about 1.5 cents per point), plus the $32 or so of the AF that you get back (yes, you would get it back as one lump sum once 3 months pass, but I'm prorating it over 3 for purposes of calculation).

Of course, the above calculus totally changes if most of your expenses are travel/dining and you have, say, the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Or if you buy lots of office supplies and would be diverting spend away from your Ink Cash card.
Basically AF cancels out. My only reason to keep it is that 10% AA redemption that I may get if I book a J flight before this year and another J award early next year. Also, 1st checked bag free now that I don't have platinum select card. I took the offer, btw.

A month ago I called up discover and they gave retention of extra 4% cash back for next $2500 - that would be extra 4% on top of 5% categories.

Citi simplicity gave me a $150 cash back if spend 3k in 3 mo

A month ago I called up discover and they gave retention of extra 4% cash back for next $2500 - that would be extra 4% on top of 5% categories.

Citi simplicity gave me a $150 cash back if spend 3k in 3 mo
Was this after a year? Because imagine if you were still in your first year, then you could theoretically get 18% back on rotating categories.