Retention Bonuses

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
Its a pretty good deal, though it really all comes down to opportunity cost. If its all 1x spending, then it may make sense to divert 1,000 of monthly 1x spending to the Aviator. Think about it this way. If you spent $1,000 on your Chase card on 1x purchases, its 1,000 Chase UR, which is worth somewhere in the range of $15-$20 bucks depending on how much you value UR. If you put that same spend on your Aviator, you effectively get back around $47 bucks. I reached that number because 1,000 AA miles are worth about $15 (assuming they are worth about 1.5 cents per point), plus the $32 or so of the AF that you get back (yes, you would get it back as one lump sum once 3 months pass, but I'm prorating it over 3 for purposes of calculation).

Of course, the above calculus totally changes if most of your expenses are travel/dining and you have, say, the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Or if you buy lots of office supplies and would be diverting spend away from your Ink Cash card.
Basically AF cancels out. My only reason to keep it is that 10% AA redemption that I may get if I book a J flight before this year and another J award early next year. Also, 1st checked bag free now that I don't have platinum select card. I took the offer, btw.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
When I called Aviator, I got an offer to reverse AF if I spend $1000 each month for 3 months......Is that a good deal?
If you MS that's basically spending $27 at Simon/WM for a $95 statement credit and 3K miles worth maybe $42. Only you can decide if that's a good deal.

Orin

A month ago I called up discover and they gave retention of extra 4% cash back for next $2500 - that would be extra 4% on top of 5% categories.

Citi simplicity gave me a $150 cash back if spend 3k in 3 mo

StealthyMSer

Level 2 Member
A month ago I called up discover and they gave retention of extra 4% cash back for next $2500 - that would be extra 4% on top of 5% categories.

Citi simplicity gave me a $150 cash back if spend 3k in 3 mo
Was this after a year? Because imagine if you were still in your first year, then you could theoretically get 18% back on rotating categories.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
Aviator Red
Failure Report

I called 866-928-8598 and asked for relationship manager. I asked him for annual fee waiver and mentioned change in terms would cost me at least 7500 miles from loss of 10% redeemed miles back. I hardly used the card ~$750 swiped/12 mo.

He said no downgrade available and no fee waiver. He checked and there were no offers on my account. When I said that means cancellation he offered 2500 miles. I guess I'll try one more time tomorrow but prolly cancel to get my $89 fee charged ~40 days ago back.

idearr

Level 2 Member
Aviator Red
Failure Report

I called 866-928-8598 and asked for relationship manager. I asked him for annual fee waiver and mentioned change in terms would cost me at least 7500 miles from loss of 10% redeemed miles back. I hardly used the card ~$750 swiped/12 mo.

He said no downgrade available and no fee waiver. He checked and there were no offers on my account. When I said that means cancellation he offered 2500 miles. I guess I'll try one more time tomorrow but prolly cancel to get my $89 fee charged ~40 days ago back.
If you have the old US Air card that gives you 10,000 miles on renewal I'd take the 2500 retention offer and keep the card one more year. The 10,000 miles hit before the annual fee does and it's my understanding that you'll get one more 10,000 mile bonus next year.

If you don't have the 10,000 mile on renewal feature then I think I agree, go ahead and cancel if you don't value or use the other benefits of the card (bit better boarding priority, bags etc).

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Aviator Red
Failure Report
Hmmm. My Aviator Biz is coming due in ... June I think. I was just planning on canceling to avoid the fee, but with my new focus (day forward) on trying to retain a relationship with companies that I want more CCs from, I recently wondered if I could get a pass on the fee. From your experience, I'm thinking not :). However, I have a couple of months. Perhaps I will try to throw a little money towards that card ... not sure if MS will work, but then at 1x MS isn't all that productive. Will ponder. It would be nice to be able to score a new Arrival Plus and AA personal in the not too distant future. I've abused these cards before (a year ago?) and I know Barclays has somewhat sharp memory (from previous recon calls).

I would need to score a fee removal OR way more points than you were offered to make $89 worth it. Don't really need tiny AA amounts, but if I can look like a better customer?

idearr

Level 2 Member
Hmmm. My Aviator Biz is coming due in ... June I think. I was just planning on canceling to avoid the fee, but with my new focus (day forward) on trying to retain a relationship with companies that I want more CCs from, I recently wondered if I could get a pass on the fee. From your experience, I'm thinking not :). However, I have a couple of months. Perhaps I will try to throw a little money towards that card ... not sure if MS will work, but then at 1x MS isn't all that productive. Will ponder. It would be nice to be able to score a new Arrival Plus and AA personal in the not too distant future. I've abused these cards before (a year ago?) and I know Barclays has somewhat sharp memory (from previous recon calls).

I would need to score a fee removal OR way more points than you were offered to make $89 worth it. Don't really need tiny AA amounts, but if I can look like a better customer?
Barclays waived my Aviator red fee (in January I believe) - something like 4th straight year and I don't spend anything on that card. Who knows why, I do spend alot on the Aviator Silver (for the AA EQM and companion pass) so maybe the computer sees me as a better customer. But I spend nothing on the Red and year after year they waive the fee (I usually mention to them on the phone that I have the Citi AA card and the benefits are redundant etc but if offers are computer driven I can't imaging any spiel matters)