Lurkers

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It seems something is wrong with your system. just recently I have started a thread or two and commented several times.
Yes, my system is broken. It does not keep people, or boot people, based upon how recently you post.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, sorry way too busy with life and that thing called Feedly that just never stops...

Will try to be more active but if I don't do what you gotta do.

But if you do there will be severe repercussions :) #hint #TBBlists

I now proceed to eat everything in the Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui lounge to make me feel better about the fact that they gave me a tiny room....guess they did not get the message that I run this big time influential "travel" blog.

Dude, you sure got me to come back, no one wants to be canned...especially from the banks lol
No canning here - mainly out of fear of being relegated to the new 'blogs that bore me' category.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
First off, congrats on all those babies, kudos to the new foster parents, and I hope those of you dealing with family illnesses are coping as well as possible and that your loved ones will be better soon. Good luck on your new jobs, hope your move goes well! Having been remiss in keeping up with the "Introduce Yourself" thread, it was good to learn a bit about some of the folks whose names were new to me.

Obviously I picked a good day to be offline ;). Between hosting a dinner party for a dozen people and some other projects, I didn't check in here. I did see the email come in about Lurkers but just assumed it was about something Matt was considering. When I had time, I read the second email before the first, so I escaped any worries that I was being booted - or shall I say botted - out.

This thread is certainly proof that we are an active and prolific bunch. And we like TF! I only saw one post where someone said, okay, remove me. Pretty impressive! I for one have really enjoyed being part of this community. Thanks for sharing it with me.
As ever, I got a few more replies via email and PM (you can be sure they didn't read the post either..) and I got one more 'remove me'. In fairness, I think I learned I need to word things differently, but also I'm not that concerned if people did not want to take the time to talk with me about what was going on. If they just wanted out then this is an easy solution.

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Matt, I just received an email advising that I should contact you about maintaining access to this forum. Right. We've been traveling almost constantly since September. I don't generally engage in this or any other forum when traveling, as I'm the only one in the family involved in this activity. I've been very active in this forum in the past and will be again- but probably not until after the holidays. I beg for patience.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, I just received an email advising that I should contact you about maintaining access to this forum. Right. We've been traveling almost constantly since September. I don't generally engage in this or any other forum when traveling, as I'm the only one in the family involved in this activity. I've been very active in this forum in the past and will be again- but probably not until after the holidays. I beg for patience.
If you've been very active in the past, and since I've actually met you, why would I want to remove your access to this forum? That sounds like a scare tactic designed to get you to post more...

I used this email and thread to point out that I thought that was wrong, I hope that you enjoy the holidays and look forward to seeing you back here whenever you like.

Air Land and Sea

Level 2 Member
Have only been a member for about a month and did begin one thread. Busy time, like it is for others, and hubby just got out of hospital on Thursday. Would like to remain a member and will try to do better.

wheater

Level 2 Member
Just got a minute to browse this thread. Well played, Matt. I wonder if the folks that manage OBC have something similar in mind?

kissmyjazz

Level 2 Member
Oh no, I am assigned to the infamous lurking thread. I have been indeed mostly lurking the last month. Mainly because I have nothing to contribute, as I as stay away from prepaid cards except for Serve, and most other avenues for have been dying out. I have not done any travel in the last months as well. Yesterday I have applied to the US Airways credit card, application status went to pending.
Anyhow, I value Saverocity forum highly for occasional tips, but mostly as place to learn to analyze opportunities and approach the rationally, maximizing the value. I would like to stay.

raccah

Level 2 Member
OK, indeed I should have read the thread some more - sorry Matt for the bone headed email! I was sure it was of this ilk, but you got me!;) :D :oops: I have been taken to the woodshed to be properly beaten - thanks!!o_O

LAref

Somewhat confused, Matt. I recently joined, introduced myself and responded to a post. As others have said, holidays are busy times and some may not be able to post something meaningful everyday. I do enjoy this forum much more than FT, and your philosophy behind it. I will post more as time goes on, like I've done on FT.
Thanks.

avagyan

Level 2 Member
No need to try harder here, just be civil and don't share - the email was an alert to start a conversation only.

Did you try the reconsideration line?
Actually I've applied in branch and was given "we will contact you" message.. After few days called reconsideration and that's when I was grilled about the business and got denied. The reason was recent ink plus app and no enough utilization on it (strangely it was 90% utilized). I've applied because bold was getting discontinued. Once I'll get my next app-o-rama, I'll be MSing again.

ben

Level 2 Member
Matt, I have just received your email. I hope that you can let me stay in level 2 as I believe that my posts, while not so numerous due to work constraints, have generally been informative. Besides, I don't believe in posting everyday if I don't have anything important to contribute. Thanks.

Rich

Rent this space
Hi Matt, got your lurker email. I apologize for my relative absence - I made the mistake of eating Taco Bell last month and have spent most of my waking hours in the bathroom ever since.

JK! I read the OP in its entirety and was surprised that so many people apparently didn't. Regardless, after reading through the numerous responses I was touched by some of the hardships that our fellow Forum members are going through. It serves as a great reminder that we should treat each other with kindness and understanding - not just here but everywhere in our lives.

dzcinci

Level 2 Member
I think you were effective in getting folks attention. I do appreciate the tone of this forum more than others. I'll post when I have something new/useful, and not worry about garbage posts to reach a certain post count. Thanks for running this forum and making it OK to lurk!

bonescal

Level 2 Member
HI Matt, like many here life has been pulling me away from posting. Many times I want to add to a thread, but not having total knowledge of the MS details I don't want to appear that I am just asking for all the info and not trying to figure out things on my own first. When I have value to add I will post and comment to hopefully help others. But I'm learning as well and do struggle with doing MS vs just signing up for a credit card. A lot of times once I add up all of the fees and not even counting time it seems I end up spending what I consider too much for miles. Going back to the old days with the mint coins, that made financial sense, just time involved, buy and deposit, simple enough. I can't for the life of me buy a money order with a debit or gift card anywhere, which would really be a big help. So I'll keep looking to find a solution for it. But I'd like to remain at Level 2 so I can add data points when I get them.

HiYoSiver

Level 2 Member
Thanks Matt for your patience with us. I want to contribute at Level 2, so I started with a post in the "Into the Nights Promo" thread. I plan to post in AGC and others after some "field work"....

Nate

Level 2 Member
Matt, Got the email and would like to stay active in Level 2. I could throw out a lot of excuses for my lack of posts but simply said, life has been getting in the way lately. Hope to stay active!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
After taking a day to reflect and reading through the comments, a light bulb come on... when you post or start a thread, you "introduce" yourself to the community -- which may brings the benefits of cultivating new relationships with other members (e.g. they may start a conversation with you about that topic to delve deeper)

@Matt: can you also create an audio book? I have 2 audible.com credits :)

John Von Fange

Level 2 Member
I promise to be civil and agree to the confidentiality of
The forum.

I wish I had something cutting edge to offer, something profound.

Actually, the turquoise museum in ALB, NM is exceptional as I
Discovered yesterday.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If those of you who commented since last evening haven't read the FIRST post in this thread, you should...Matt, not Saverobot, sent that email to start a dialog. It was successful at that, but not so much at avoiding people's shock/fear/anger/consternation that they'd been tagged a "lurker".

He doesn't plan to boot anyone for not posting. And, as many of the posts here attest, there are a lot of people with much bigger things on their mind than MS--both good and heartbreaking.

You don't HAVE to post to stay here. But I, for one, love to read new or seldom read voices.

skuldyie

Level 2 Member
Been busy with life, but to be fair I've never been on the cutting edge of MS. I tend to just do it in terms of small potatoes. I just don't see the point of recommenting on things where other people have already expressed much more knowledge on the topic.