Lurkers

essenn

Level 2 Member
Your timing wasn't the best. It is a great forum. You just stepped into an attempt by Matt trying to make a point. Hang in there!
Way to go Matt...scaring off new meat. Shiisshh. Now I'm trying to salvage your life's work!!!!!

BoonDR

Level 2 Member
Guess I am guilty seeing who else is accused, .... sticks head on chopping block.

but I do promise not to share outside and be civil if you pardon me.

Last edited:

Jeff

Level 2 Member
I love this resource. I am happy to know that we won't be removed for inactivity. I have actually been worried about that since reading a post about this being a possibility some months back.

I started this hobby in January and was tracking all of my expenses very well until the final round of cards when I had too many cards and a very laborious tracking system in addition to a very busy work schedule. I have still not resolved this so I decided it would be best to stop until I developed something manageable. I still haven't had time to do that but am still very much planning to and get back in the game again. So I just wanted to say thanks for not canceling the accounts and giving me peace of mind that I can come back here when I am ready to start again.

vasu

Level 2 Member
Matt thanks for great reply and considerations for our personal issues thanks again end of the day a human understands human not bot!!

TWeb

Level 2 Member
Ditto about being flagged for non-activity. My god, I just joined the forum a few days ago and had no idea I was required to be an active member.

You might seriously want to reconsider this tactic Matt.

DtB

Level 2 Member
I'm sure all I could say has already been said.
Life happens!
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't even lurked in a while; not here or the main site. Just too busy for this whole section of 'life' at the moment.
I would love to keep my privileges and in the near future become more active.

doink

Level 2 Member
Just got a email for inactivity. Its the holidays, just did a round of credit card runs just recently and will be taking a trip to Madrid and Berlin for a week in a few days. I usually swing by once a month or 2 when then the next round of applications are pending....

I usually don't post unless I have something good to post... Not so I can keep my posts up. Just saying.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. I'm a bit disappointed in this. I don't lurk. When I visit, I sign in. Every two to three sign ins I have something to post. I don't like posting unless I have something useful to say. So now I should just give a thumbs up or a plus one so I can stay active!?! That's not useful at all.

I did not read the posts up thread. I just logged in to see what the email was about. And to post a post, this one, that doesn't mean anything at all.

I have three young kids. And a full time job. And a husband who travels a lot for work. And some other interests that occupy some of my free time. Boot me out for not coming here daily or weekly.

Now I'll go read the posts and hopefully be as entertained as essenn. Unless of course I get kicked out.

Though I do agree. I just don't want to be excluded for this time in my life not being all about me. What a conundrum.
Hi,

If you read first post here (that many opted not to) you'll see, hopefully, that I would never use a metric such as posts, frequency, likes, etc. The entire purpose of this was to help highlight people like yourself who add great content, yet have other things going on too.

Hope that makes sense.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Ditto about being flagged for non-activity. My god, I just joined the forum a few days ago and had no idea I was required to be an active member.

You might seriously want to reconsider this tactic Matt.
What tactic? This tactic was to highlight that you don't need to be an active member.

ChetsMom

Well, I'm not going to apologize for being labeled a "lurker". I occasionally read the posts on this forum so that I can further educate myself. That's all I do. If my behavior is unacceptable, what you want to do about it is up to you.

doink

Level 2 Member
Friends and family think I'm crazy with the credit card sign ups and everything just goes over their heads on anything that has to deal with finances and math. And the very few that understand... Have poor credit. Go figure. Lol, I believe things will change once I finally start taking 2 big trips in a few days and in march.

Love the forum because it doesnt make me feel like a crazed lunatic

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm not going to apologize for being labeled a "lurker". I occasionally read the posts on this forum so that I can further educate myself. That's all I do. If my behavior is unacceptable, what you want to do about it is up to you.
Great. You are welcome to do so. The first post here, that was linked to explains that I am a lurker too, and I think lurking is ok.

TheBOSman

Staff member
No worries, your behavior is very much acceptable and we are happy you are a member :).

Badassity

Level 2 Member
Hi,

If you read first post here (that many opted not to) you'll see, hopefully, that I would never use a metric such as posts, frequency, likes, etc. The entire purpose of this was to help highlight people like yourself who add great content, yet have other things going on too.

Hope that makes sense.
I read the first few posts. But not the rest. And maybe I glossed over (pretty sure I did) those first few. But I certainly read the first paragraph in italics. After that, I was speed reading then decided to post.

I don't mean to be confrontational. But the fact this came up in the first place kind of surprised me. I wasn't expecting it at all which I guess speaks to the type of forum this is. That was a positive comment.

I think many people struggle with balance. All kinds of balance. And fitting in this kind of thing that most people don't get (particularly spouses) is a bit challenging. It's not a full time job though. I'm not saying you said it was or you think it is or should be, or anything close to it. I'm just reiterating what you already said.

johnny cash

Level 2 Member
I can't figure out if this real or a hoax. I got the email warning even though I have over 500 posts and over 150 likes. I think I have provided my share of good info while trying to keep info safe.

PointSeeker07

Level 2 Member
After receiving the bot email and reading your email response today I believe you handled the responses by others really well. I can understand how others, including myself, perceived the original email as harsh and unjustly. I understand the goal you are trying to achieve by building this as a community of close like minded individuals.

I have enjoyed my time on here but as someone who is just starting out with MS, Travel hacks, and the like (in addition to work, school, family, and most recently the holidays) I have not had a lot of time to post or provide real value in some of my posts. I do not want to "feel" an obligation to post just to post without really adding something to the topic of discussion. At the same time I know how hard others work on these things and are sharing valuable information with others. In one way I try and give back is during monthly meet-ups. Its something I can dedicate a single afternoon out of the month to meet up with others and share my experiences. At times this seems easier than being "active" the ways others would define.

I will work on becoming more active on the boards as I do find this to be a better community

Badassity

Level 2 Member
Wow. I'm a bit embarrassed. I read the first paragraph. Glossed over the second paragraph, that's where Matt called 'poppycock', and then I glossed over the rest. This is not his view. Time to go read the thread. Sheepish here.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I read the first few posts. But not the rest. And maybe I glossed over (pretty sure I did) those first few. But I certainly read the first paragraph in italics. After that, I was speed reading then decided to post.

I don't mean to be confrontational. But the fact this came up in the first place kind of surprised me. I wasn't expecting it at all which I guess speaks to the type of forum this is. That was a positive comment.

I think many people struggle with balance. All kinds of balance. And fitting in this kind of thing that most people don't get (particularly spouses) is a bit challenging. It's not a full time job though. I'm not saying you said it was or you think it is or should be, or anything close to it. I'm just reiterating what you already said.
OK So the message of my first post was that I wanted everyone here to be more understanding and inclusive of people even if they aren't that active. Most people are cool here, but I do get a fair amount of pressure coming in to 'take action' on lurkers. I used this post as a chance to say that I understand that people lurk, and that it shouldn't be held against them.

So basically (and because of the way I delivered this message) everyone thinks that I am making up this arbitrary rules for posting to keep status, when the purpose of all of this was to say the complete opposite - that I want people to have full lives, and that I am happy when anyone comes over here. That there is no pressure or need to post.

I also found it powerful that people brought in their own stories as to why not, and hope that the people who expect 'these lurkers to be booted' can connect with them via empathy, and move beyond such things as 'days since last post' etc...

I think I could work on the delivery better, since the majority of people got what I was trying to do completely backwards. Hope that makes sense.

EDIT - as I was writing this you changed your message to realize that this was my goal -glad that it made sense and sorry for making that so complicated!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
After receiving the bot email and reading your email response today I believe you handled the responses by others really well. I can understand how others, including myself, perceived the original email as harsh and unjustly. I understand the goal you are trying to achieve by building this as a community of close like minded individuals.

I have enjoyed my time on here but as someone who is just starting out with MS, Travel hacks, and the like (in addition to work, school, family, and most recently the holidays) I have not had a lot of time to post or provide real value in some of my posts. I do not want to "feel" an obligation to post just to post without really adding something to the topic of discussion. At the same time I know how hard others work on these things and are sharing valuable information with others. In one way I try and give back is during monthly meet-ups. Its something I can dedicate a single afternoon out of the month to meet up with others and share my experiences. At times this seems easier than being "active" the ways others would define.

I will work on becoming more active on the boards as I do find this to be a better community
And I'm glad to have you here simply because you seem like a decent person. I think you'll learn things to share, or have other skills to share in the future and it will all come full circle. Please feel no pressure to be more active.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I can't figure out if this real or a hoax. I got the email warning even though I have over 500 posts and over 150 likes. I think I have provided my share of good info while trying to keep info safe.
This might be a good time to suggest read the thread. :)

At least the first post that I linked to. In it I hope to clear up that this both a hoax and it isn't.

Yes, you aren't being targeted for termination due to inactivity.

And yes, nobody else is either.

There's an important message in this, I hope.

JoeK

Level 2 Member
After reading this thread, I'm relieved to find out that I am not actually going to be terminated.

Just to add my story to the chorus - as a new member, I'm looking forward to participating, but I don't know how frequent my contributions will be. I work 50-60 hours a week and have 2 kids (18 months and 2 weeks old), so I have about 10 minutes a week of free time if I'm lucky at this point.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all,

I signed up less than 24 hours ago (my first post) after being referred here by someone. Received both emails this morning and I haven't had an opportunity to read the 21 pages yet as I have a lot going on this weekend with life and our first child (6 month old) w/ daddy duty.

I'm not going to reserve judgement on this situation as I don't have enough information. I was told this was a much more friendly (and private) forum than other places (like flyertalk) and that saverocity would be a great place to learn and gather information with like-minded individuals.

I'll be sure to read all rules and contribute as best I can, just not this weekend. :)
Hi,

I've got daddy duty on one of those too, good luck! In terms of collecting information and making a decision, if you could just check out the first post here, the one that I linked in my email, I hope that will explain my position on these things.

Cheers,
Matt

fr33b13

Silver Member
Matt - I understand you are trying to build a good community and message board. Thank you for your understanding of people's individual situations and I think how you've responded to the reactions and comments truly show that you want this community to be about the people and not about the numbers. It is very commendable and I shall try to be a more active member of the community.

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
Great attention-grabber for those of us who aren't as active. Also hopefully a decent wake-up call for anyone who is criticizing your light hand. Thanks for having a sense of humor. :D

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Great attention-grabber for those of us who aren't as active. Also hopefully a decent wake-up call for anyone who is criticizing your light hand. Thanks for having a sense of humor. :D
Im not sure others appreciate my sense of humor... But glad the overall message seems to be getting through.

Marc

Wow Matt, that gave me a good scare. I'm pretty much here everyday and read topics that appeal to me. If I have something to add, which unfortunately doesn't happen often since someone already made the point or others are just more of an expert than I am, I certainly try to add my two cents. I appreciate Saverocity and hope to be part of it and be a contributor for a long time.

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I'm glad to still be here and contributing where and when I can. I do hope Matt's email tactic makes people more tolerant of "lurkers" who behave themselves. Honestly, could have done without the extra anxiety though.

al613

It seems something is wrong with your system. just recently I have started a thread or two and commented several times.

TBB

Level 2 Member
Hey, sorry way too busy with life and that thing called Feedly that just never stops...

Will try to be more active but if I don't do what you gotta do.

But if you do there will be severe repercussions :) #hint #TBBlists

I now proceed to eat everything in the Hyatt Regency Tsim Sha Tsui lounge to make me feel better about the fact that they gave me a tiny room....guess they did not get the message that I run this big time influential "travel" blog.

Dude, you sure got me to come back, no one wants to be canned...especially from the banks lol

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
First off, congrats on all those babies, kudos to the new foster parents, and I hope those of you dealing with family illnesses are coping as well as possible and that your loved ones will be better soon. Good luck on your new jobs, hope your move goes well! Having been remiss in keeping up with the "Introduce Yourself" thread, it was good to learn a bit about some of the folks whose names were new to me.

Obviously I picked a good day to be offline ;). Between hosting a dinner party for a dozen people and some other projects, I didn't check in here. I did see the email come in about Lurkers but just assumed it was about something Matt was considering. When I had time, I read the second email before the first, so I escaped any worries that I was being booted - or shall I say botted - out.

This thread is certainly proof that we are an active and prolific bunch. And we like TF! I only saw one post where someone said, okay, remove me. Pretty impressive! I for one have really enjoyed being part of this community. Thanks for sharing it with me.