Earlier this year my wife and I did a 90 minute turn around in Cairo, purely as a mileage run. We thought it was crazy, but, we had time to plan everything out, and it really turned into Date Night in the air. We flew Qatar Airways, an airline I enjoy flying. Part of the reason we mileage run, is so that we can do whimsically crazy things like this trip, because miles really open up amazing opportunities.
Cut to September 17th. It had been a busy summer for us both, we hadn’t stepped onto a long haul flight in more than 2 months, a rarity for us. We went back to back weeks of identifying flights with an ultimate destination that eluded us. We had overwater flights last weekend to Abu Dhabi, thinking maybe Jordan, or the Maldives, or Colombo, but they just didn’t click.
The following Thursday though, everything clicked. We booked an itinerary that would take us to Singapore for 3 days, which just so happened to coincide with the Singapore Formula 1. My wife had been wanting to see a Formula 1, and I as well, so this seemed to make even more sense. So, around noon on Thursday, we booked flights leaving JFK at 10am Friday.
What happened next was a flurry. We finalized things at work, finalized our itinerary, got a one-way rental car—and at that moment, the moment that we were driving the rental car home, I called American, thinking, what if we could get on a red-eye flight? We could get 8-9 hours more in Singapore, and I could avoid that 3am drive up to JFK. Madness ensued, the decision was made at 6:40pm, we were all packed and out of the house before 7:30, and now we were instead flying DCA to Boston, then Boston onward. We barely made the 9pm flight from DCA to Boston. But the fact that we made that 9pm flight meant we were mostly home free.
This trip will have a number of parts, as we had really 4 flights worth writing about, 2 hotels, and a ton of interesting experiences along the way.
So sit back, drop the tray table, and keep a cold one nearby. We’ll be sharing the trip over the next week or so.
- Introduction: A Last Minute Singapore F1 Weekend
- Review: British Airways Terraces Lounge – Boston Logan Airport
- Review: Cathay Pacific Boston to Hong Kong – Business Class – 777-300ER
- Review: Cathay Pacific “The Wing” Lounge – Hong Kong International Airport
- Review: Cathay Pacific Hong Kong to Singapore – Business Class – A330
- Review: W Singapore – Sentosa Cove
- Exploring Sentosa Island
- Review: Marriott Singapore Tang Plaza
- Wandering Singapore before and after the Singapore Formula 1 Night Grand Prix
- Review: Skyview Lounge – Singapore Changi Airport Terminal 1
- Review: Cathay Pacific Singapore to Hong Kong – Business Class – A330
- Review: Cathay Pacific Hong Kong to Chicago – First Class – 777-300ER
- Conclusion: Last Minute Singapore F1 Weekend