Lurkers

parismama

I am a commercial photographer who shoots for ad campaigns, resorts and cruises across the globe. When I'm busy and on set, we often work 14 or even 21 plus days, 14 hour days, without a day off. We have limited internet connections depending on the country, or if we are at sea. I love this forum and try and stay up to date, but have to be selective about what I can read when traveling. And I try not to post just to post. I feel posting should only be done when I have something to actually contribute to a conversation rather than adding more drivel. I received your email telling me my account was being flagged, but today is my first opportunity to even read said email. Please remember some of us travel for a living and time management may prevent us from participating as much as we might wish. But that doesn't mean we are lurkers, just followers with limited time or connectivity.

SuperSaver

I joined this forum because of my interest in MS and personal finance issues. Soon after joining I was dropped to Level 1. I am definitely more of a lurker since I'm new to MS, but I tried to contribute to regional items for folks in the DC/MD/VA area and reached out via PM. This forum seems like a good community, but I will probably never add enough value to be reinstated to Level 2 given the expertise of the regulars.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I joined this forum because of my interest in MS and personal finance issues. Soon after joining I was dropped to Level 1. I am definitely more of a lurker since I'm new to MS, but I tried to contribute to regional items for folks in the DC/MD/VA area and reached out via PM. This forum seems like a good community, but I will probably never add enough value to be reinstated to Level 2 given the expertise of the regulars.
Good point- I actually did drop down some people in the past based on pressure to do so, and that's when I realized that people had their reasons to lurk, and that it wasn't fair to boot out for this.

However, I can't see why you don't have something to share somewhere on this forum, if you are msing and looking for new routes you already know more than many who are wondering about these things.

As such, you can be an active member of the site if you choose, even if it is active on the beginners areas or Level 1 and add value.

Note- I'm not demanding that you do, I'm simply addressing your feeling that you can't contribute.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Matt,

After reading your opening post, I have to say that I feel this experiment was a case of good idea...poor execution. I, like many others, received "the email" and at first was taken aback by the message.
Yep, it needs a bit of work on the delivery... i'll give you that!
Unlike RavenHawk, I was upset by the e-mail and then doubly so by the follow-up which said to read the first posting.

My reason for being upset was that I had read the first posting when it came out, and then read it again before responding to the infamous "Lurker" warning. My response was emotional because despite reading the initial e-mail again, I was too intent on responding to the warning to care what it said. I would suspect that I was not the only one who became focused on responding that the warning message didn't sink in.

I would have left it at that except when I got the "read the first e-mail" response from Matt, I was actually offended because I had done so (twice). Even after I read the first lurker note, I thought I was complying with the requests, so the e-mail warning and then the subsequent scolding offended me greatly.

So like a naughty child, I left the playground and only came back yesterday. For me, the intent of the warning only made me want to participate less. The old cut off your nose to spite your face.

As etiquette experts have warned up repeatedly, an e-mail message is often not perceived the way it was intended.

travellove

Level 2 Member
Hey Matt,

I'm definitely not a lurker.. and would love to be more active. Just have been traveling and moving for New York to California.

Looking forward to being more active.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Unlike RavenHawk, I was upset by the e-mail and then doubly so by the follow-up which said to read the first posting.

My reason for being upset was that I had read the first posting when it came out, and then read it again before responding to the infamous "Lurker" warning. My response was emotional because despite reading the initial e-mail again, I was too intent on responding to the warning to care what it said. I would suspect that I was not the only one who became focused on responding that the warning message didn't sink in.

I would have left it at that except when I got the "read the first e-mail" response from Matt, I was actually offended because I had done so (twice). Even after I read the first lurker note, I thought I was complying with the requests, so the e-mail warning and then the subsequent scolding offended me greatly.

So like a naughty child, I left the playground and only came back yesterday. For me, the intent of the warning only made me want to participate less. The old cut off your nose to spite your face.

As etiquette experts have warned up repeatedly, an e-mail message is often not perceived the way it was intended.
Can you clarify 'the intent of the warning only made me want to participate less'?

I ask because I hope it is clear that my intent throughout this was to say we shouldn't judge people based upon metrics and instead remember they are real people.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Can you clarify 'the intent of the warning only made me want to participate less'?

I ask because I hope it is clear that my intent throughout this was to say we shouldn't judge people based upon metrics and instead remember they are real people.
Pardon me for not being clear. As you saw by all of the postings, a whole bunch of people immediately responded to the lurker warning. It seems that after reading the e-mail and then using the link to the forum, they either read your post and still responded or didn't read the post and responded. In any case, I think the perception of the warning was that one was in peril of losing Level 2 privilege by lurking and not participating sufficiently.

The general perception was different than your intent. So I should have specified my perception initially made me want to participate less (I was sulking). With further clarification by you in response to the many posts to the lurker forum and my reflection on what Savority means to me, I realized that I shouldn't have reacted so emotionally and that I missed being part of this community. I have participated in many other travel/MS/miles forums, but this one is my favorite. At various conferences sponsored by MilePoint and FlyerTalk, I have enthusiastically endorsed this site. Although these things are not something you knew, I felt that I had been a strong supporter who was suddenly being scolded for not doing my part.

Let me close by saying thanks for listening to all of us. This is not easy to do in trying to build this community.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member

The message was "read the first POST".

NOT "read the first email."

Most people jumped to this thread from the first email, and even if they glanced at the first post, it was TL/DR for most of them.

I dunno about other fora. But here, maintaining a sense of proportion and a sense of humor definitely are useful.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Pardon me for not being clear. As you saw by all of the postings, a whole bunch of people immediately responded to the lurker warning. It seems that after reading the e-mail and then using the link to the forum, they either read your post and still responded or didn't read the post and responded. In any case, I think the perception of the warning was that one was in peril of losing Level 2 privilege by lurking and not participating sufficiently.

The general perception was different than your intent. So I should have specified my perception initially made me want to participate less (I was sulking). With further clarification by you in response to the many posts to the lurker forum and my reflection on what Savority means to me, I realized that I shouldn't have reacted so emotionally and that I missed being part of this community. I have participated in many other travel/MS/miles forums, but this one is my favorite. At various conferences sponsored by MilePoint and FlyerTalk, I have enthusiastically endorsed this site. Although these things are not something you knew, I felt that I had been a strong supporter who was suddenly being scolded for not doing my part.

Let me close by saying thanks for listening to all of us. This is not easy to do in trying to build this community.
I appreciate the input, and sorry that I made you feel that way. For me it was a chance to show how I feel about this concept of lurkers- I felt it best to address everyone rather than just the minority who are anti lurker.

I was also glad to see a 'voice' emerge that showed real people with real lives, and I hope that will help bridge the divide of thinking on what makes a forum work.

Glad to have you back, and hope you stick around (no more bots I promise!)

cocobird

Level 2 Member
The message was "read the first POST".

NOT "read the first email."

Most people jumped to this thread from the first email, and even if they glanced at the first post, it was TL/DR for most of them.

I dunno about other fora. But here, maintaining a sense of proportion and a sense of humor definitely are useful.
Ok - I give up - no idea what most of your post means :)

What is TL/DR or fora? :confused:

Will try to maintain proportion and sense of humor. :D

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
You stated that you were offended when Matt said to read the first email. But it was the first post in this thread that explained what he was trying to accomplish. The first email was, to put not too fine a point on it, a dud, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Too Long Didn't Read.

Fora = plural of forum.

Yay on proportion and humor!

Andreas

Level 2 Member
Hi Matt -

I was hoping to login and find your "you got kicked out" email was just a warning for me and not actually a removal from your site, but alas I seem to have lost all privileges for level 2 viewing and contributing.

What can I say? It's been an incredibly shitty few months. I've lost a family member, I work 70 hours a week and I've barely had time to focus on the game much less post about here.

Without a phone app this isn't the most convenient forum to log onto so often I hit FT for quick needs and posts, but my activity has dropped off over there too lately.

Sorry you feel I should have been kicked out, but I'd love to come back and post more if you will allow it.

kjnckelly

Level 2 Member
I think my "excuse" is the one we all want to have... It is the same as in my email auto-reply, and my voicemail....
"Sorry that I won't be able to get back to you for quite a while, as I am travelling extensively out of the country." I just don't mention in the voicemail or email, that I am able to do all that travelling thanks to my "second hobby". The one we all share here on these forums... To Matt, and all ...,keep up the good work, and Happy Holidays!!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Matt -

I was hoping to login and find your "you got kicked out" email was just a warning for me and not actually a removal from your site, but alas I seem to have lost all privileges for level 2 viewing and contributing.

What can I say? It's been an incredibly shitty few months. I've lost a family member, I work 70 hours a week and I've barely had time to focus on the game much less post about here.

Without a phone app this isn't the most convenient forum to log onto so often I hit FT for quick needs and posts, but my activity has dropped off over there too lately.

Sorry you feel I should have been kicked out, but I'd love to come back and post more if you will allow it.
Hi Andreas,

Sorry to hear that you had such a shitty time - your account is set up for Level 2.

Best
Matt

3rddayfan

Um, I don't know what to say...DH came in from foreign country after being gone awhile. Had to relocate with his new career assignment, buy newer car, hit a pipe while backing out of the garage at our new housing, busy, busy....