Dismiss Notice
Welcome to The Forum. Please register here, to join the conversation. It only takes a moment!

Cutting the Cord (Cable)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Finance' started by InstinctX, Aug 15, 2014.

1. volker

volker Level 2 Member

That's $144/yr, $1440/decade and $4320/30yrs. Without taxes & interest. I try to look at numbers long term which helps my decisions.

That's worth it to me, but everyone values TV (as well as top internet speed) differently. Btw, depending on the channels you watch and the area a room antenna might do the trick, too.

2. zceuxbhjutf

zceuxbhjutf Panel 3 Member

Yes, I made my own antenna super cheap and easy...
    http://www.diytvantennas.com/index.php

And all my friends gave me a hard time LOL. When my cable went out right before the best* Daytona 500 ever two weeks ago it was nice to have.

* except for who won
    ** and not counting the one that proved Juan Pablo Montoya should never be given the keys to so much as a golf cart...

3. Cytraveler

Cytraveler Level 2 Member

My problem is sports. Not for me, but for my husband. He doesn't care about ESPN much, just wants to watch the hometown teams (we live in Pittsburgh). Football you can generally get on network, but not baseball or hockey. And on MLB channel, it specifically disallows seeing the team in your home, forcing you to buy cable (or do a hack, which I'm not willing to do) to watch your home team. Sling doesn't help. As far as I can see, only way to see home teams is to get Root sports, and the only way to get that is to get cable.

I toy with the idea of switching between Verizon Fios (what we have) and Comcast, but lethargy and the fact that my email is through Verizon (trying to slowly change over to gmail) has stopped me. Plus horror stories about Comcast.

Bleh.

4. Mancolt

Mancolt Level 2 Member

I had my first email address tied to my parent's comcast account. I talked them into moving to Verizon for a new customer deal (not realizing my email was tied to their account), and then lost that email address. Recovering some accounts has been a challenge, but is usually possible. In the end, the money they saved as a result of not paying the normal prices was well worth the headache to me.

I read online about how much people hate Comcast. I never had any issues for the many years I've been with them (probably 3 or 4 different 2 year stretches). It's a bit of a hassle, but you can usually save 33% or more off of your normal bill by taking a new customer deal. For that amount of savings, I'm okay with calling/emailing/whatever to switch between Comcast and Fios every 2 years.

5. seespotjump

seespotjump Level 2 Member

I completely understand. Sports is the main hiccup for me as well. Finding professional sports games isn't too hard, but if you want to watch college games it's tough without cable.

6. Josh000

Josh000 New Member

Pairing an mlb.tv subscription with a dns proxy (e.g. smartproxydns) allows watching blacked out games. (Not sure if thats what you meant by hack - it really isnt). Tmobile has also been offering mlb.tv for free to subscribers the last few years.

7. ldfernald

ldfernald Level 2 Member

When I had nba subscription my local team(BOS) wasn't blacked out. I have no idea if this is still the case, but on Roku my connection was in NY area. If I tried my PC or phone it was blacked out, but on Roku it wasn't.