Cutting the Cord (Cable)

Alex1432

Level 2 Member
I bought a cheap remote on Amazon with an rf receiver. Then I got a harmony from Logitech to use with that receiver and that works with media center as well as my tv.

pillow25

Level 2 Member
We have thought about/tried to figure out how to cut the cord, but we have the bundled package with internet, phone, cable (Fios). Our local options are Fios and Comast & Comcast basically gives us the worst internet speed ever. What do you all use for internet providers?
We could figure out a different landline option. Sports have always been the biggie for my husband...not sure how that would work out, so I have to check some of the links in this thread. I can personally go without the "woman channels" but have to watch Survivor (CBS) and The Walking Dead (AMC).
If you're willing to wait, you can watch the shows after they air, either on Hulu or torrenting the episode. There is software that will automatically download the latest episode.

Miles

Level 2 Member
We cut the cord a year and a half ago, to use an over-the-air antenna. Since we are just 3 miles from the TV transmission towers it should work perfectly, but a tall house and trees are in the way and reception goes wonky whenever the wind blows or it rains. We have Netflix (used rarely), used to have Aereo before they got shut down. We just want no-brainer continuous TV reception for an evening of entertainment, which doesn't seem possible unless we return to cable (or if the wind doesn't blow).

bk3day

Level 2 Member
[respectfully snipped] We just want no-brainer continuous TV reception for an evening of entertainment, which doesn't seem possible unless we return to cable (or if the wind doesn't blow).
The best antenna is really dependent upon your specific location.

Go to http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29, Input your address into and generate the report.

Then post your findings and ask for guidance at http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters. You'll be glad you did!

Last edited:
If you're willing to wait, you can watch the shows after they air, either on Hulu or torrenting the episode. There is software that will automatically download the latest episode.
I guess this discussion really made me think about our TV viewing habits and obsessions:eek: We aren't willing to wait for Walking Dead (less than 2 hours until the next episode:D) or Survivor - we DVR and start watching after kids are asleep. Other shows we watch on demand or Netflix or DVR. I think I was too naive thinking that this was something we could easily give up. Oh well, I guess we will keep cutting corners elsewere.

bk3day

Level 2 Member
I guess this discussion really made me think about our TV viewing habits and obsessions:eek: We aren't willing to wait for Walking Dead (less than 2 hours until the next episode:D) or Survivor - we DVR and start watching after kids are asleep. Other shows we watch on demand or Netflix or DVR. I think I was too naive thinking that this was something we could easily give up. Oh well, I guess we will keep cutting corners elsewere.
Don't give up so soon!

If you don't want to wait to watch shows, you may not have to, presuming you can get sufficient OTA signals at your location. You could watch major network shows live as they air or if you'd rather, you can always and hook up one of the many available OTA DVRs.

Of the shows you mentioned, "Walking Dead" poses the biggest yet not insurmountable obstacle. AMC is not shown free via OTA. However, maybe a friend would be willing to share their password to allow you access to the AMC stream? Otherwise, current episodes or season passes are available for sale, soon after airing via iTunes, Amazon or Vudu. As you know, Netflix carries it but on a more delayed schedule. Apps like Showbox will provide free streams of current episodes, likely the next day.

OTOH, major network shows such as "Survivor" can be watched live OTA or DVR'ed. CBS.com should also provide free streams soon after airing or you can buy into CBS's new pay streaming product.

When I cut the cord at the beginning of this year, I really thought I'd miss my cable service DVR most of all. At that time, there were fewer OTA DVR options. Eventually, more OTA DVR choices were available yet I still opted not to invest in an OTA DVR. Turns out I now don't miss my DVR at all.

After all why would I need a DVR when I can and now prefer to watch most everything on-demand, either via Hulu Plus (app on my TV), or using Chromecast to watch shows streamed via network websites, or various apps such as Showbox or Mobdro.

No doubt, finding the right source for your shows will require some research and way more effort than switching on your cable service. That said, I found the process and learning about the various resources and technologies, kinda interesting. Saving more than $100/mo ain't so bad either!

pillow25

Level 2 Member
You'd be surprised how fast HD torrents of some episodes go up online...sometimes it's a matter of minutes / few hours :)

Panache

Level 2 Member
We also have Comcast and pay for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime on the Roku. Would love to ditch the cable but as said above, price without TV is the same as standalone. Only other option is DSL but we're on a rural road and published speeds are just 1-3 MB/s

I'm thinking of getting an ASUS Chromebox, they are going for $160 on amazon and hook it up to the TV. I hate paying $9/month for Hulu just to watch a few shows. Things like HGTV, Daily Show, etc. can be streamed straight from the web without paying but to have the app on Roku/Chromecast there's a fee.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M004U-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00IT1WJZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1416450480&sr=1-1&keywords=chromebox

Seems this would be the equivalent of having a mac mini center?

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
We also have Comcast and pay for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime on the Roku. Would love to ditch the cable but as said above, price without TV is the same as standalone. Only other option is DSL but we're on a rural road and published speeds are just 1-3 MB/s

I'm thinking of getting an ASUS Chromebox, they are going for $160 on amazon and hook it up to the TV. I hate paying $9/month for Hulu just to watch a few shows. Things like HGTV, Daily Show, etc. can be streamed straight from the web without paying but to have the app on Roku/Chromecast there's a fee.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M004U-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00IT1WJZQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1416450480&sr=1-1&keywords=chromebox

Seems this would be the equivalent of having a mac mini center?
It depends...

Chromebox will only run Google OS. I would seek an alternative such as a cheap Windows PC/laptop or the 2012 Mac Mini i5 (you can buy a refurb unit for $419 from Apple...but they sell out in minutes), so you can run Windows Media Center -- which is the only way to watch encrypted channels. The most important part for streaming / watching live TV is having high speed internet connection -- my Mini is hard-wired (wireless or low speed internet results in choppy feeds). Feel free to PM me. I wasn't happy with the Windows laptops/laplets (2 in 1 laptop/tablets) at the lower price points because they just weren't powerful enough.

FWIW: I've invested a lot more than I expected in "cutting the cord" with my hardware purchases. LOL - but what's cool is I can watch recorded programs anywhere from my Network Attached Storage (NAS) device...on iPhone, iPad, and even share the programs with friends to download.

Last edited:

Panache

Level 2 Member
Good info! I'm not that much into live TV, but more just to be able to watch shows which I can watch on websites free. SWMBO likes many HGTV shows. I do it at the computer all the time and maximize the window/put on fullscreen. We really just watch 2-3 hrs of TV/week tops so I don't want this to be a huge investment.

During the World Cup, I watched games on Univision.com in Spanish and hooked up the laptop to the TV, and was plenty good, except for having to fuss around plugging and unplugging cords each time and having to precariously balance the laptop on the TV stand and shoo the cats away. I keep thinking a Chrome Box may be a cost-effective, compact solution ($400 for a Mac Mini = 44 months of Hulu Plus so kind of a poor ROI for me).

I'd still happily keep paying for Netflix. Speeds are 20 MB/s with cable so all video streaming is coming out at 720 p (my TV is crappy). I'm limited because I also have a 6 year old router!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
FYI: Microcenter is selling HD HomeRun Prime for $89.99 (use $15 off coupon --> $74.99)

slickdeals.net/f/7549832-hd-homerun-prime-with-cable-card-silicondust-microcenter-b-m-74-99-after-15-coupon-in-select-areas-89-99-online-reduce-cable-bills?v=1&p=73221058#post73221058

bushe

FYI: Microcenter is selling HD HomeRun Prime for $89.99 (use $15 off coupon --> $74.99)

slickdeals.net/f/7549832-hd-homerun-prime-with-cable-card-silicondust-microcenter-b-m-74-99-after-15-coupon-in-select-areas-89-99-online-reduce-cable-bills?v=1&p=73221058#post73221058
$75 is a good price, I think I paid $85 for this a year and a half ago and it works great a with windows media center as an alternative to a cable box with a cable card(although not cutting the cord) or with an antenna.

kellybme

Level 2 Member
I have DishNetwork so I can watch college football. They have a "hibernation" mode where they will let you keep and access your DVR for $5 per month but you can't access any new content. They allow customers to do this once per year. We activate the account in September, load the DVR to its max, go into hibernation in January, and watch the prerecorded stuff until September.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Long time cord-cutter here. SlingTV is a good option for March Madness and playoff NBA basketball.
Really? I'm going to be busy during the playoffs. :p Shouldn't tease you since you're a new member. There's a BBVA card that gives 5% cashback during the playoffs.

James from BNA

VR Jacket Guy
I've read the entire thread, great input, thank you. The volume of info is a bit overwhelming.

I was an AT&T employee and got free homephone/internet/TV and half off 10 smartphones for 12 years. Spoiled, I know. I recently switched jobs and DirecTV/DSL is now $180/month. Ouch. Time to cut the cord.

Comcrap gave us $19.99 internet for 12 months so I jumped on that. Not sure if fast enough to stream so I might have to jump to the $29.99 flavor. They will do $89.99 with DVR's for 12 months for the content we want so I could pay $70 extra and be set, but the price will skyrocket after 12 months and I'll have to make another decision. I'd rather be running around frantically buying 5x GC's than waiting on the cable guy to swap our service.

We have dumb TV's, Amazon Prime, and Amazon Fire Stick.

We watch Disney, Disney Jr., Nick, Sprout, ESPN, HGTV (someone called this women's channels) and local channels, and we like the DVR feature. No premium channels. What is my cheapest semi-elegant go forward arrangement for 3 TV's in the home? Looks like I'll need a digital antennae for the local channels, plus some additional components.

Thanks.

Beltway Explorers

Level 2 Member
We watch Disney, Disney Jr., Nick, Sprout, ESPN, HGTV (someone called this women's channels) and local channels, and we like the DVR feature. No premium channels. What is my cheapest semi-elegant go forward arrangement for 3 TV's in the home? Looks like I'll need a digital antennae for the local channels, plus some additional components.
Sling TV is the only one that will give you live access to everything, but not all channels let you watch previously aired content (ESPN is one) and you can only watch so many past days. The Watch ESPN app requires a cable provider account to authenticate, but Sling TV also works. They may have added a similar authentication for other channel's apps, but I haven't checked it recently.

We thought Sling TV was okay (we did one of their early three month promos where they gave you a free Roku streaming stick and since we were planning on getting a Roku stick anyway, it was only about $10). Now we just survive without ESPN (or decide it's a good time to head to happy hour or visit my parents or a friend with cable!) and have MLB TV since my husband's favorite sport is baseball (I think some of our local games are blacked out, but he prefers to watch his childhood team). We watch older versions of Disney, Nick, and HGTV shows through their apps (each has a few unlocked episodes for non-cable subscribers, but it's limited) as well as through Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. Netflix has the best variety, but Nick seems to be more exclusive to Amazon, and for some reason Doc McStuffins is only on Hulu. Another option is to buy seasons through iTunes or Amazon of a favorite TV show. Depending on the age of your kids, PBS has some great shows and is free to stream! My two year old daughter also seems to prefer the YouTube Kids app to real TV since she has control to flip through the shows.

We did a test run that overlapped with our cable subscription to make sure we'd be okay with the new limitations before dealing with the headache of having them come back to reinstall. Highly recommend doing something similar! We've also found that we watch less TV now and rarely have it on as background noise.

russ

Level 2 Member
Just get a streaming device with kodi installed. Its better than cable and sat. Only con is you need decent isp speeds and live show quality sucks. But if you wait a day, that live show gets updated into a better HD stream.

volker

Level 2 Member
If you have a Roku, take a look into Plex. Other boxes and smart TV's might support it to. You can basically stream downloaded movies directly from a computer to it and have also other channels available. http://cordcutting.com/plex-channels/ lists available channels.

Don't waste your money for the Plex App for Android. I thought I would be nice and support Plex after using their free tools for a long time. Not worth it.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
Yeah with kodi (xbmc etc) configured (im)properly (heh), if you're west of the eastern time zone you can watch the shows like Survivor before they go OTA in yer zone.

rsvp

X Marks The Spot
Never had cable to start with. Never had a cord to cut :p

Don't watch a lot of TV anymore, but I get all my entertainment needs with Kodi!

JakeFromStateFarm

Points Junkie
I've been thinking about cutting the cord for a while, but the biggest thing holding me back is my wife's infatuation with Food Network. What is the best solution for getting that content without cable? TIA

Beltway Explorers

Level 2 Member
I've been thinking about cutting the cord for a while, but the biggest thing holding me back is my wife's infatuation with Food Network. What is the best solution for getting that content without cable? TIA
You'd need a $20/month subscription from Sling TV to get current content. They do unlock several episodes for free each week through their app, but it's not all the shows and you have no control over what's available (I wish it was like the NYT's pay wall where you get to pick your freebies). Some older episodes are on Netflix, but we cut cable almost two years ago and I had already seen most of the seasons that were available.

Derptrader

I have no cord to cut :) as I've never needed to. I'm just probably a low maintenance nerd. I may have the occasional show/sports game that I want to watch, but that's about it.

Online streaming of sports: google - firstrowsports. Pretty much has everything sport related, but quality is not as good as TV. Also in China/Hong Kong, they have these plug in android boxes (one variety is called TV Pad) that contain TV channels, could be a hit or miss. My brother in law has one in New York.

Apart from that I save immense amounts of time and money :D which I can dedicate to other things.

Miles

Level 2 Member
Amazon has several TVPad (or similar) devices listed, ranging in price from $60 to $200. They seem to be limited to Asian sports events.

Kim @Savy.Traveler

Level 2 Member
We have dumb TV's, Amazon Prime, and Amazon Fire Stick.
Just get a streaming device with kodi installed. Its better than cable and sat. Only con is you need decent isp speeds and live show quality sucks. But if you wait a day, that live show gets updated into a better HD stream.
I've installed Kodi on both Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, with my minimal tech skills. I would recommend Fire TV for at least the main TV(s), but install Kodi on your Stick to see if you like it first.

I have 25 Mbps from Comcast (for $30 monthly) and the speed is fine for streaming. At times there is some buffering during prime periods of use, but I think many times it is the source of the streaming and not necessarially my internet speed. Good luck!

ct22025

We cut the cord about 3 years ago. Best decision we ever made. To replace the $180/month bill for phone, internet, and TV, we've now got an amplified digital antenna from radio shack (one time $50), hulu plus, netflix, amazon video (maybe $25/month), plus $85 for the premium cox internet. Not sure we need the premium but we have it. End result was we watch about he same amount of TV per night, but we only watch good shows. People eventually figure out what's good, and you hear it through word of mouth, and then we put it on the list. We do end up watching shows about 3-5 years after they become popular, but so be it.

Tom Juhn

Level 2 Member
We cut the cord about 3 years ago. Best decision we ever made. To replace the $180/month bill for phone, internet, and TV, we've now got an amplified digital antenna from radio shack (one time $50), hulu plus, netflix, amazon video (maybe $25/month), plus $85 for the premium cox internet. Not sure we need the premium but we have it. End result was we watch about he same amount of TV per night, but we only watch good shows. People eventually figure out what's good, and you hear it through word of mouth, and then we put it on the list. We do end up watching shows about 3-5 years after they become popular, but so be it.
Between internet, Hulu, Netflix and maybe Amazon Prime, are you saving that much?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Between internet, Hulu, Netflix and maybe Amazon Prime, are you saving that much?
Personally I pick between Hulu and Netflix, but even with all 3 I think you are still saving money. Remember that Amazon Video is a 'free' perk of Amazon Prime, which has other perks, and that Internet is necessary for most homes, so bumping it up a tier or two is only the spread between 'basic' and 'premium'.

ct22025

Probably not, in the grand scheme. I save about $100/month. The bill was $180 when i cancelled phone and TV, but I can't be without internet. That bill was 3 years ago, so it undoubtedly would have gone up. That's how I arrive at an estimated $100/month savings. I could save more, because I doubt i need the premium internet from Cox. More important for me is that we felt slave to the DVR. We'd record stuff we thought looked good, or heard was good, and we'd have hundreds of hours of stuff stored on there. Now, we let the world figure out what is worth watching, and then we choose to watch it or put it on the list. I think overall we probably watch a bit less TV than before, but now we only watch the good stuff.

Mancolt

Level 2 Member
I've been thinking about cutting the cord for awhile, but the cable companies make sure you're not saving much by dropping cable. So I've been sticking to my plan of being a new customer to Comcast and VZ Fios every 2 years, and getting the best rate they're offering at that time for cable + internet. I am in the process of cancelling Fios now (scheduled to switch over in 1 week) and I checked how much I'd save by dropping the cable out of my Comcast package (leaving just internet). My bill would go from $100/mo to $88/mo. Unless I can save $30+ per month, I don't know that I'll cut cable. Although I do find myself watching mostly Netflix, then Hulu, then Cable, then Amazon.

volker

Level 2 Member
[choosing the plan without TV] My bill would go from $100/mo to $88/mo. Unless I can save $30+ per month, I don't know that I'll cut cable. Although I do find myself watching mostly Netflix, then Hulu, then Cable, then Amazon.
That's $144/yr, $1440/decade and $4320/30yrs. Without taxes & interest. I try to look at numbers long term which helps my decisions.

That's worth it to me, but everyone values TV (as well as top internet speed) differently. Btw, depending on the channels you watch and the area a room antenna might do the trick, too.