Cutting the Cord (Cable)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I was planning to cut the cord but FIOS offered me 50/50 internet + local channels for $58/month including all taxes, eq, and fees with a 2 our contract.

To my surprise, we are still getting all the extended cable channels (eg Comedy Central, CNN) that were supposed to be cut off.

We still just mostly watch stuff off Netflix and Amazon Prime via the Samsung Smart TV apps.
That's the beauty of a strong negotiating position, you get a lot of good deals when you are ready to walk away :)

kjnckelly

Level 2 Member
We still just mostly watch stuff off Netflix and Amazon Prime via the Samsung Smart TV apps.
What is the mix of content on Amazon Prime vs Netflix? I have amazon prime for the shipping, but have never used the video streaming because the content seems to overlap netflix for anything I care about. Any one have any must see shows only available on AP and not netflix?

Zooter

Level 2 Member
Premium Supporter
What is the mix of content on Amazon Prime vs Netflix? I have amazon prime for the shipping, but have never used the video streaming because the content seems to overlap netflix for anything I care about. Any one have any must see shows only available on AP and not netflix?
Here's how it breaks down in my house.

Netflix:
  • Leapfrog
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Thomas the Train
  • Barney
  • Jake & the Pirates
  • Super Why
  • Strawberry Shortcake
Amazon Instant Prime
  • Team Umizumi
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Olivia
  • Ni Hao Kai-lan
  • Fresh Beat Band
  • Sesame Street
  • Mister Rodgers
Both:
  • Curious George
  • Daniel Tiger
  • Care Bears

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Tivo is dropping the subscription for Mini's (the extender). Base price going to $150 with Lifetime baked in. There are still some units for sale at $85-ish (or pricematchable to that price).

I bought one yesterday. I'll shop around for a deal on a base Roamio and an Ooma to complete my cord cutting journey at some point.

EDIT - probably a good resale option if you can round some up.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Here's how it breaks down in my house.

Netflix:
  • Leapfrog
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Thomas the Train
  • Barney
  • Jake & the Pirates
  • Super Why
  • Strawberry Shortcake
Amazon Instant Prime
  • Team Umizumi
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Olivia
  • Ni Hao Kai-lan
  • Fresh Beat Band
  • Sesame Street
  • Mister Rodgers
Both:
  • Curious George
  • Daniel Tiger
  • Care Bears
That's about what I get to watch these days... Though I slipped in bbc I player via VPN to watch hardtalk- its a decent show.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I find Prime and Netflix have very different content, with little overlap. Honestly, it comes down to what you prefer to watch. I find that together you have pretty good options.

Toni Perkins

Level 2 Member
We've been without cable for 8 years! I don't miss it a bit. Mine isn't so much about the money as it is about all the garbage that's on tv. No thankyou. I just ditched my smartphone a few weeks ago too. It's so liberating! If I had my way, we would sell everything, live in a camper, and cruise around the continent. No fancy clothes, meals, toys, etc. Just me and the fam living the simple life!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
What would you rather ...

I'm setting up a media center to play / record live TV. My current devices are all part of the Apple eco-system. I've been playing with a couple of options for a DVR - both of which require Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 Pro (Windows Media Center):
  • PC (ASUS TP300 model 2 in 1, laptop / tablet, i5 processor 8 GB, 500 GB HD): $699, plus cost of Windows Pro Pack ($99)
    • cons: this is Windows PC
  • Mac Mini: $699 (i7, 1TB HD -- orig price of $799, plus cost of Windows 8.1 Pro ($150) -- will run Windows in Boot Camp
    • cons: Apple hasn't refreshed this model since Oct. 2012, though there are rumors of an upcoming refresh
I'll store content on a NAS and / or external hard drive (1 hour of HD = 5 to 10 GB)

loves2fly

Gold Member
No cable since 2005, we had Netflix for a while but when they raised their rates, we cancelled. I got free amazon Prime for a year from Amex BCE which includes free streaming; not everything is free to watch but there's plenty to choose from. I use the prime 2 day delivery service more.

Marcus

Level 2 Member
Anyone here use XBMC? You can add repos like Ice films or 1channel and watch a lot of tv channels and movies, they have their own hulu app for free shows. Sorta like a search engine of all the torrents on the web and it streams it so no downloading required. You can download it onto Apple TV, laptop, tablet etc. All the HBO Go stuff is on there as well. It's way better than Netflix in my opinion

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We've been without cable for 8 years! I don't miss it a bit. Mine isn't so much about the money as it is about all the garbage that's on tv. No thankyou. I just ditched my smartphone a few weeks ago too. It's so liberating! If I had my way, we would sell everything, live in a camper, and cruise around the continent. No fancy clothes, meals, toys, etc. Just me and the fam living the simple life!
I had to upgrade your account to Level 2 so you can find ways to sustain your pikey dream.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
What would you rather ...

I'm setting up a media center to play / record live TV. My current devices are all part of the Apple eco-system. I've been playing with a couple of options for a DVR - both of which require Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 Pro (Windows Media Center):
  • PC (ASUS TP300 model 2 in 1, laptop / tablet, i5 processor 8 GB, 500 GB HD): $699, plus cost of Windows Pro Pack ($99)
    • cons: this is Windows PC
  • Mac Mini: $699 (i7, 1TB HD -- orig price of $799, plus cost of Windows 8.1 Pro ($150) -- will run Windows in Boot Camp
    • cons: Apple hasn't refreshed this model since Oct. 2012, though there are rumors of an upcoming refresh
I'll store content on a NAS and / or external hard drive (1 hour of HD = 5 to 10 GB)
If I was to go PC I think I wouldn't pay more than $300 for this. Mac is over priced and definately due for an upgrade, I'd also not out win 8.1 on anything- trying to get it off my laptop now but haven't had the time.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
If I was to go PC I think I wouldn't pay more than $300 for this. Mac is over priced and definately due for an upgrade, I'd also not out win 8.1 on anything- trying to get it off my laptop now but haven't had the time.
I am most likely going to return the PC -- bought it at the Microsoft store. Finding a $300 PC is hard, since you need to have at least i5 processor.

I was able to find a Windows 8.1 Pro license from Craigslist (bought it with a $25 Amazon GC & $20 cash...the Amazon GC only cost me $20 -- and I have a ton of Amazon GC's). With the Windows 8.1 Pro edition, I was able to "add features" - buying Windows Media Center for $10.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
HBO is considering enabling customers to buy subscriptions to HBO Go without having cable at all, just as many already do with Netflix and Hulu Plus. Link to Guardian article

Manspender

Level 2 Member
I cut my cord about 2 years ago. I thought about Netflix and Hulu and such but what the heck, you are still paying for what you can get for free. I have an HD antenna that picks up the local channels. And if I want something off of premium channels I go to either http://stream-tv.me/ or http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/ which will give you much more than you need to watch for free. I also have AZ Prime but I like going to see movies on the big srceen so do not watch much on there either. Why cut the cable and then turn around and pay for all the streaming services? Isn't that the same thing?

imMia430

Level 2 Member
Premium Supporter
Nice thread. I just moved to a new location and have not set up my tv service yet. I primarily watch the news/finance channels, and ESPN :p

Nguyen

Level 2 Member
I have not watched TV for several years now. We have Comcast, but we cannot cut the cord since the internet rate without cable is more expensive than with cable. Thus, we have internet plus basic limited cable :) Thanks.

zsnyde

Level 2 Member
Cut the cord two years ago. Built my own computer and loaded OS X mountain lion running xbmc with 1channel, icefilms, and project tv. I also use it as a regular pc for video editing and photo storage. I built an HD antennae to get local channels like fox, nbc, cbs, abc. Couldn't live without nfl. My wife got me Apple TV last year and I find myself using it more and more lately, especially since they added showtime app. It has Netflix, Hulu ESPN and also HBO and showtime, we use her brothers login to get all that. They just added fx network to it but Verizon isn't participating. Bummer. I'm still thinking of getting TiVo to get dvr so we can record and pause, just haven't pulled the trigger. At first my wife hated it but now loves it, especially having no commercials on xbmc.

Andrew

Level 2 Member
Cut the cord two years ago. Built my own computer and loaded OS X mountain lion running xbmc with 1channel, icefilms, and project tv. I also use it as a regular pc for video editing and photo storage. I built an HD antennae to get local channels like fox, nbc, cbs, abc. Couldn't live without nfl. My wife got me Apple TV last year and I find myself using it more and more lately, especially since they added showtime app. It has Netflix, Hulu ESPN and also HBO and showtime, we use her brothers login to get all that. They just added fx network to it but Verizon isn't participating. Bummer. I'm still thinking of getting TiVo to get dvr so we can record and pause, just haven't pulled the trigger. At first my wife hated it but now loves it, especially having no commercials on xbmc.
Forgive my naiveté but I assume TiVo works with most cable subscriptions (Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, etc.)?

I ask because my mother still "rents" a DVR from her cable provider at about $15 a month, which she uses quite regularly While getting her to drop cable is impossible for me, if I could switch out the $15 a month rental for the upfront cost of the TiVo, it would allow her reduce her monthly cable bill.

zsnyde

Level 2 Member
Yes you can use with the cable subscriptions, my friend has a similar setup as me with the HD antennea, and they have the tivo box, paying the lifetime service for around $400. this was 2 years ago, i think they came out with a tivo mini which is cheaper with lifetime at 250

zsnyde

Level 2 Member
i don't understand, what does the tivo subscription fee go to?
I'm not too familiar with tivo as i haven't done too much research yet, but i think its mostly for the tv guide of whats on now and in the future so you can view and schedule recordings, similar to comcast, verizon, etc. i'm sure you get other services too but not too sure

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Tivo is spendy, but has a good reputation for "just working" once you buy in. I just bought one. I will set it up in a couple weeks once the dust settles from a busy period. There are "codes" you can buy on e-bay that brings down a lifetime unit's cost.

The base Roamio has OTA or Cable/Fios via cable card. It does not have built in MOCA (google it) or Stream capabilities. I got this one since I want the option to go pure OTA. I am swaping out the hard drive for a 3TB drive (just screw driver work).

The Plus/Pro have built in MOCA and Stream, and the app just added andriod after a long wait. But they are cable DVRs only.

There is also a weird OTA only version that can't be lifetimed.

If you just want to pause live tv and use a computer for your DVR there are some cheap, $40 options out there (iview).

Take a look at post #3 in this thread:

www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1460149-2014-list-consumer-available-dvr-s.html

CKaway

Level 2 Member
I have a set dollar limit in my head that is the maximum I will pay for TV content and I'm nearly at my limit. I'm hearing a lot of talk about this cloud-based Over The Top (OTT) TV from Sony/Viacom coming soon but don't know the extent as to how it will replace cable. Will have to start researching options.

GoBlue25

Level 2 Member
The HBO news is very exciting. The only issue for me is that the only Internet in my area is Comcast so that is $40-50 a month and if I want to watch sports it's impossible to cut the cord.

bushe

The HBO news is very exciting. The only issue for me is that the only Internet in my area is Comcast so that is $40-50 a month and if I want to watch sports it's impossible to cut the cord.
You could try OTA for local sports, if you team(s) are local to your area.

We have thought about/tried to figure out how to cut the cord, but we have the bundled package with internet, phone, cable (Fios). Our local options are Fios and Comast & Comcast basically gives us the worst internet speed ever. What do you all use for internet providers?
We could figure out a different landline option. Sports have always been the biggie for my husband...not sure how that would work out, so I have to check some of the links in this thread. I can personally go without the "woman channels" but have to watch Survivor (CBS) and The Walking Dead (AMC).

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Comcast has these Boost Plus which gives you about 40 channels + Internet. Up by me it includes both AMC and all the locals (CBS). I am about to switch from FIOS to it. Coupled with OOMA and I am looking to be around $70/mo from $170/mo. I had some hardware cost in that I wanted a DVR (Tivo), so first year savings go to that.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
We have thought about/tried to figure out how to cut the cord, but we have the bundled package with internet, phone, cable (Fios). Our local options are Fios and Comast & Comcast basically gives us the worst internet speed ever. What do you all use for internet providers?
We could figure out a different landline option. Sports have always been the biggie for my husband...not sure how that would work out, so I have to check some of the links in this thread. I can personally go without the "woman channels" but have to watch Survivor (CBS) and The Walking Dead (AMC).
I continue to have the Verizon FIOS Triple Play bundle, except I'm paying $30 less a month. I continue to have access to all the channels that I'm subscribed to, including HD ones (Bravo, MSNBC, USA, ESPN). I bought the SiliconDust HomeRun Prime from Amazon for $119. I have to pay $5 / month to rent a cable card from Verizon which is inserted into one of the slots on the HDHomeRun.

You can have multiple devices in the house watching live TV.

You need to have a Windows PC/laptop with at least Win 7 - or have a dedicated Mac hardware such as Mac Mini or iMac (with Windows 7/8 installed, e.g. via Bootcamp or running Parallels). The reason is you need Windows Media Center to record & watch live TV. You can watch / record up to 3 channels.

Last edited:

Alex1432

Level 2 Member
I have a similar set up as instinct x. A smart tv just can't compare to all the oc can do and not paying for dvr is the way to go.

I built my own little htpc but I am surprised more companies don't sell this kind of thing as an alternative to cable dvr.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
I have a similar set up as instinct x. A smart tv just can't compare to all the oc can do and not paying for dvr is the way to go.

I built my own little htpc but I am surprised more companies don't sell this kind of thing as an alternative to cable dvr.
I have since replaced the Windows laptop with a Mac mini. My only gripe with the setup is finding a remote control -- currently I use a wireless mouse to skip through commercials and change channels. I've tried out some of the iPhone apps, but they aren't great.

What are you using as your remote control? With this setup, I now realize I need a newer SmartTV :)