Citi Executive Card

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
I have a couple of questions:

1- If I apply online, how can I get the card expedited? It seems you need to get the spend before the first statement closes. But you can get screwed if you get the card and only have a couple of days before the statement ends.

2- In FT they say you can cancel within 37 days of the annual fee hitting your account. When does the annual fee appear? Does it appear on the date you are approved, leaving you less days to cancel the card?

3- If I get the card and put the 5k spend, and pay it off before the statement closes, I should be golden, right? The only problem that I can foresee in this scenario is that your miles don't post in your AA account before the 37 days are due. In early 2014 my Citi AAdvantage Visa 50k miles didn't post for 3 months after meeting the spend requirement. Hopefully Citi solved the problem by now.

I churn the other Citi AAdvantage card, but at 18 months, it is not as good as this one. Thanks for any feedback.
1. The Exec is ALWAYS EXPEDITED to you. Don't ask because they have no clue. Just wait 2 days and it'll be at your door.

2. Don't worry about the time to cancel. You'll have PLENTY OF TIME REGARDLESS of when the 1st statement closes. Even if it closes 3 days after you get the card, no worries. Just don't spend anything and most likely the AF won't post on that statement. Even if you spend and/or the AF does post on that 1st statement, you'll still have 37 more days to do the 5K spend. Because when the 2nd statement comes 30 days later, you've met your spend and the POINTS WILL POST 2 days later. That still leaves you with ~4-5 days left from the 37 days. SM them to lower the CL and SM them to close the account. The AF will be refunded/deducted from the statement within a day or two.

3. Even after closing the account, you'll still have the grace period to pay off the balance (minus the $450 AF).

DL172

Level 2 Member
1. The Exec is ALWAYS EXPEDITED to you. Don't ask because they have no clue. Just wait 2 days and it'll be at your door.

2. Don't worry about the time to cancel. You'll have PLENTY OF TIME REGARDLESS of when the 1st statement closes. Even if it closes 3 days after you get the card, no worries. Just don't spend anything and most likely the AF won't post on that statement. Even if you spend and/or the AF does post on that 1st statement, you'll still have 37 more days to do the 5K spend. Because when the 2nd statement comes 30 days later, you've met your spend and the POINTS WILL POST 2 days later. That still leaves you with ~4-5 days left from the 37 days. SM them to lower the CL and SM them to close the account. The AF will be refunded/deducted from the statement within a day or two.

3. Even after closing the account, you'll still have the grace period to pay off the balance (minus the $450 AF).
I concur. What proves how much SMARTER we all are (and never trust a customer service rep), not only do the CSRs not know about expediting, they actually claim its not possible. I asked the first three times.

Any problems call the number on the back of your card, I rate Citi's Exec service even better than Amex Plat. - rant - There is nothing special about Amex Plat customer service, besides just usually no wait times - end of rant

On the other hand with Citi the service is just amazing with the Exec card. On my first card, I asked if I could have my statement close early because I needed just a bit more miles for the redemption. They were not able to honor that request, so they gave me a statement credit so I could outright purchase points from points.com...unbelievable, I almost felt a bit bad for my shenanigans...almost.

flyerboi69

Level 2 Member
Any problems call the number on the back of your card, I rate Citi's Exec service even better than Amex Plat. - rant - There is nothing special about Amex Plat customer service, besides just usually no wait times - end of rant

On the other hand with Citi the service is just amazing with the Exec card. On my first card, I asked if I could have my statement close early because I needed just a bit more miles for the redemption. They were not able to honor that request, so they gave me a statement credit so I could outright purchase points from points.com...unbelievable, I almost felt a bit bad for my shenanigans...almost.
Wow, how large was the statement credit? I tried to get them to change the statement close date too. They just said it wasn't possible, and I wasn't offered anything.

Andres

Level 2 Member
Approved on Wednesday. Hopefully I get it before the end of the month! If WMT rumors materialize, it would be a PITA to meet the spend requirement on this one.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
Per Flyertalk it looks like the links are drying up so better act fast! Just used option 5 and it is still going strong for 50k.

I another note, Citi has changed their language about having broadly any AA product in the last 18 months and has now specified the product (i.e. cannot have had the AAdvantage Gold/Platinum in the last 18 months). My girlfriend who has some Execs and hasn't ever had a Plat just got approved for the Plat. So this leaves the 25k bonus Gold card in play for most of us now when the Exec links all die.

Andres

Level 2 Member

Well, my first go with the Exec was a success. I already got the miles posted on my AA account. I have a couple of doubts regarding what to do next. The annual fee still hasn't posted on my account (it's been 35 days since the account was opened, and my 2nd statement cuts on 04/06/2015). My desire would be to be able to move the credit line to another card, but based on what I've read online about Citi and credit line reallocation, it seems the 2 cards have to be at least 6 months old to be able to do it. So that option is not available.

You recommended that I SM them to lower the CL and then SM them to close the account. Can you elaborate on why we need to lower the CL before closing the account? What CL do you recommend I lower it to? Also, regarding the waiver of the annual fee, is it 37 days after the annual fee hits? Or do you have 37 days from account opening to cancel the card and not be charged the AF?

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Well, my first go with the Exec was a success. I already got the miles posted on my AA account. I have a couple of doubts regarding what to do next. The annual fee still hasn't posted on my account (it's been 35 days since the account was opened, and my 2nd statement cuts on 04/06/2015). My desire would be to be able to move the credit line to another card, but based on what I've read online about Citi and credit line reallocation, it seems the 2 cards have to be at least 6 months old to be able to do it. So that option is not available.

You recommended that I SM them to lower the CL and then SM them to close the account. Can you elaborate on why we need to lower the CL before closing the account? What CL do you recommend I lower it to? Also, regarding the waiver of the annual fee, is it 37 days after the annual fee hits? Or do you have 37 days from account opening to cancel the card and not be charged the AF?
Congrats! You're in the home stretch. Once done, just rinse & repeat (if still available!)

It's ~37 days AFTER the AF posts. When the AF posts seems completely arbitrary. Nobody has come up with a theory on how it's selected. Just roll with it.

Even though Citi will say that lowering the CL will make that credit unavailable for 6 months, most churners believe otherwise. We believe it's made available to you within days, making it easier for your next Citi app to be auto approved & not requiring a call to reallocate your Citi CLs.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
@Andres You can move the credit if you like, but only to a new card and only if the new card is not auto approved. If that's the approach you want to take, apply, call in to have your app processed, move all but $5k from the card you plan to close soon. You may or may not be given the option - it's all up to the (highly random) Citi computer.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
@Andres You can move the credit if you like, but only to a new card and only if the new card is not auto approved. If that's the approach you want to take, apply, call in to have your app processed, move all but $5k from the card you plan to close soon. You may or may not be given the option - it's all up to the (highly random) Citi computer.
What credit bureau are they pulling for you? I got an EQ and EX pull for 1 card...

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I think it's the same for me here in NoVA. Hate the dual pulls! I guess it could be worse with Crap1's triple pulls! :eek:
Well I guess that evens out the 3 Alaska Air cards I was able to snag with 1 credit pull. $18k limits on 3x cards. Insanity.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
Well I guess that evens out the 3 Alaska Air cards I was able to snag with 1 credit pull. $18k limits on 3x cards. Insanity.
I was approved for all three but only 1 is showing up in my BofA account automatically. Wondering if BofA cancelled the last 2 thinking error....?

smittytabb

Staff member
I was approved for all three but only 1 is showing up in my BofA account automatically. Wondering if BofA cancelled the last 2 thinking error....?
I am thinking...yeah. Sort of like "you already submitted that comment". I can hear the conversation now. "But, yes, I did mean to apply for your card in triplicate and I was approved."

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
I am thinking...yeah. Sort of like "you already submitted that comment". I can hear the conversation now. "But, yes, I did mean to apply for your card in triplicate and I was approved."
I just called, the other cards will show up online once they are activated. I'll create a new thread once everything is opened laying out my experiences. Its frightening that BofA will grant you $56,000 of unsecured credit on basically a no doc loan. Let the good times roll baby.

smittytabb

Staff member
I just called, the other cards will show up online once they are activated. I'll create a new thread once everything is opened laying out my experiences. Its frightening that BofA will grant you $56,000 of unsecured credit on basically a no doc loan. Let the good times roll baby.
Whoa

thehustla

Level 2 Member
DAMN! Awesomeness!
What made you apply for 3 at the same time?

TheBOSman

Staff member
Not really, computers and algorithms have a mind of their own :D.

Mod hat on: Let me know if/when you start that new thread and I'll merge these last few posts into that thread once created. Thanks!-TheBOSman, moderator

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
I say 3 for 1 pull AND all approved is still a winner.
True true, Cathy Pacific First for 1 hard pull aint bad.

But from the sounds of it the only thing they are worried about is total credit limit exposure and NOT rewards. SO you could theoretically apply for a lot more and call in and they will move credit around for you on the rejections, so you just have to make sure you have $5,000 granted each card.

thehustla

Level 2 Member
True true, Cathy Pacific First for 1 hard pull aint bad.

But from the sounds of it the only thing they are worried about is total credit limit exposure and NOT rewards. SO you could theoretically apply for a lot more and call in and they will move credit around for you on the rejections, so you just have to make sure you have $5,000 granted each card.
Perfect.
I do still have the discontinued BOA Accelerated Cash Rewards Amex with 35k on it so I could move some credit around if needed.

cheryld

Level 2 Member
Back to Citi Exec. I have met the spend on my new card. No annual fee has posted. My 50K points are in my AA account. Do I really need to ask them to lower my credit limit to 5K prior to closing the account? Shouldn't I just ask them to close it now - since the 50K have posted to my AA account?

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Back to Citi Exec. I have met the spend on my new card. No annual fee has posted. My 50K points are in my AA account. Do I really need to ask them to lower my credit limit to 5K prior to closing the account? Shouldn't I just ask them to close it now - since the 50K have posted to my AA account?

@cheryld - it's optional:
Even though Citi will say that lowering the CL will make that credit unavailable for 6 months, most churners believe otherwise. We believe it's made available to you within days, making it easier for your next Citi app to be auto approved & not requiring a call to reallocate your Citi CLs.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Thank you, but wouldn't closing the account free up his credit as well?
Possibly, but from data points gathered with a lot of the churners, the lowering of CLs seems to speed the available CL faster. Worked for many of us, but your case could be different.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Per Flyertalk it looks like the links are drying up so better act fast! Just used option 5 and it is still going strong for 50k.

I another note, Citi has changed their language about having broadly any AA product in the last 18 months and has now specified the product (i.e. cannot have had the AAdvantage Gold/Platinum in the last 18 months). My girlfriend who has some Execs and hasn't ever had a Plat just got approved for the Plat. So this leaves the 25k bonus Gold card in play for most of us now when the Exec links all die.
Did your GF receive confirmation that she would be receiving the bonus on her Plat? I didn't realize and I applied for Exec first. Someone told me that I screwed up b/c I should have done Platinum first due to the language. I mentioned that I didn't see this language in the Plat card and they said it's an unspoken rule on FT.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
Did your GF receive confirmation that she would be receiving the bonus on her Plat? I didn't realize and I applied for Exec first. Someone told me that I screwed up b/c I should have done Platinum first due to the language. I mentioned that I didn't see this language in the Plat card and they said it's an unspoken rule on FT.
Yes she did. You're fine. I think there was some temporary language in the credit application for a time that indicated if you've had ANY AA product but now has been replaced with language for the particular product. Read the last sentence of the first paragraph of the terms and conditions if you're worried.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Yes she did. You're fine. I think there was some temporary language in the credit application for a time that indicated if you've had ANY AA product but now has been replaced with language for the particular product. Read the last sentence of the first paragraph of the terms and conditions if you're worried.
Yes I read that but thought I had missed something. I wasn't aware that the wording on the application had actually changed. Well that's good news for me. Platinum will be my next Citi card.

Too Nashty

Level 2 Member
Yes I read that but thought I had missed something. I wasn't aware that the wording on the application had actually changed. Well that's good news for me. Platinum will be my next Citi card.
If I were to do it again Id wait on the platinum and continue to churn the execs as fast as citi will allow. And then wheb that music stops sign up for the platinum.

DL172

Level 2 Member
If I were to do it again Id wait on the platinum and continue to churn the execs as fast as citi will allow. And then wheb that music stops sign up for the platinum.
Totally agree, for everyone. The music will eventually stop. I'm T-minus 7 days till my next round.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
it toOK me reading this twice to realize what you meant. I see and agree now. Thanks for that advice!