Citi Executive Card

DL172

Level 2 Member
Hope some individuals can use this as a datapoint:

I'm on my fifth citi exec card for the year. I followed a link on flyertalk, which gets me 50k after spending 5k with a $450 annual fee. Really interesting to note, this was the first time I've gotten instant approval with Citi in a while for a CL north of 20k. I have north of 10 inquiries on my file. A) This is better than buying points B) For those who like to not eat the annual fee...well thats doable too.

dan654

If you do get into churning this make sure you get the regular persona AAl card first. As you can get the Personal AA card then a string of Exec cards but you will have to wait around 18 month after your last AA card before you can get the Personal aa card

Abbazappaplant

Paranoid MS'er :)
I treated this card like a USAirways offer. I did ALR at 1.75% in one swipe for the minimum, paid it off the next day, let the ALR transfer go through and then closed it. 80 some odd dollars for no stress addition of 50k points is a sound investment for me. Essentially one purchase and a small annual fee ;) it's all about justifying it to yourself!

DL172

Level 2 Member
If you do get into churning this make sure you get the regular persona AAl card first. As you can get the Personal AA card then a string of Exec cards but you will have to wait around 18 month after your last AA card before you can get the Personal aa card
Compared to Churning twice every two months, 18 months is a drop in the bucket

dan654

Compared to Churning twice every two months, 18 months is a drop in the bucket
Not sure what you mean by that. If you are churning the Exec card you will never be able to get the personal card if you don't get it first as it is 18 months after your last exec app. You would miss out on the easier 50k AA points.

DL172

Level 2 Member
Not sure what you mean by that. If you are churning the Exec card you will never be able to get the personal card if you don't get it first as it is 18 months after your last exec app. You would miss out on the easier 50k AA points.

I misread your post. Yeah, someone should get the personal card first. Also, no reason not to also get the business card, it might be harder to get Citi to issue a business card if one has had 2+ exec cards already. I don't think I've come across someone who hasn't had the AA Personal card or (4) for that matter in a while.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
If anyone wouldn't mind when applying, can you use my friend's code? LAX 635343. He gets a slight kick back for every app with his code on it.

Thanks!

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Th
Is this card still churnable every 65 days? I thought that was no longer the case.
This card (using the correct zombie link) remains churnable every 33 days or so. You might get a denial after 5 or 6 at that pace, YMMV. But even if you do get denied you can get right back to it after a couple months.

DL172

Level 2 Member
Th

This card (using the correct zombie link) remains churnable every 33 days or so. You might get a denial after 5 or 6 at that pace, YMMV. But even if you do get denied you can get right back to it after a couple months.
Are you sure about the 33 days? I could be wrong, but it is pretty well known knowledge that Citi cards can be churned once every 8 days and twice every 65 days. card 1 @ day 1, card 2 @ day 8, card 3 @ day 65 (perhaps with a few days of error)

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Are you sure about the 33 days? I could be wrong, but it is pretty well known knowledge that Citi cards can be churned once every 8 days and twice every 65 days. card 1 @ day 1, card 2 @ day 8, card 3 @ day 65 (perhaps with a few days of error)
You are right. Or, to keep things simpler, day 1, 33, 66, 99 etc.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I did ALR at 1.75% in one swipe for the minimum, paid it off the next day, let the ALR transfer go through and then closed it. 80 some odd dollars for no stress addition of 50k points is a sound investment for me.
What's ALR, if anyone is willing to share?

This card (using the correct zombie link) remains churnable every 33 days or so.
Correct link important here. I've been following all the FT discussion while getting ready to apply for some cards while in the US for the holidays. A few people have had trouble with not getting their miles, some links not working, and apparently there is discussion over the language of the app pages changing. I'd read the last few pages on FT before applying for sure. Not "sky is falling" type of stuff, but worth monitoring.

Andy

Level 2 Member
Has anyone successfully gotten a retention offer when cancelling the Citi Exec? I'm going to call pretty soon here, and would like to keep the lounge access, but don't think it's worth $450.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Typical retention is $100 and some miles. If you want to take everything you could get, you could take the credit and then cancel anyways, but even I was never that cheap with this offer.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
Typical retention is $100 and some miles. If you want to take everything you could get, you could take the credit and then cancel anyways, but even I was never that cheap with this offer.
Lol. I'm guessing they will be hit up with a lot of retention requests in the coming months.

misterbwong

Level 2 Member
In regards to multiple Citi apps, are you more likely to get an instant approval if you a) to fully cancel a card (CL included) before reapplying b) move the CL THEN cancel the card, or c) keep/downgrade and do a "credit line swap"?

My sense is that the rules are different between issuers. Most bloggers push c) for Chase but I'm not so sure....

raccah

Level 2 Member
In regards to multiple Citi apps, are you more likely to get an instant approval if you a) to fully cancel a card (CL included) before reapplying b) move the CL THEN cancel the card, or c) keep/downgrade and do a "credit line swap"?

My sense is that the rules are different between issuers. Most bloggers push c) for Chase but I'm not so sure....
We stated this before, the idea here is to:

1) lower the CL
2) Then wait the alloted time
3) get a new card

Sure, u can get a new card without lowering the CL, like I did on my first 3, but since then I have been lowering and getting back to my crazy high CL - which I have no need for!

misterbwong

Level 2 Member

1) lower the CL
3) get a new card

Sure, u can get a new card without lowering the CL, like I did on my first 3, but since then I have been lowering and getting back to my crazy high CL - which I have no need for!
Didn't see it before, thanks for cluing me in!

flyerboi69

Level 2 Member

1) lower the CL
3) get a new card

Hey, thanks for the tip. Do you know what the required allotted wait time is in step 2)? Thanks!

flyerboi69

Level 2 Member
8 days between 2 apps 65 days before a 3rd.
So basically, I'm asking how long it takes for Citi's application system to see your new updated, lower, total credit line with them. I'm not worried about the 8/65 day rule. I just want to make sure that I decrease my CL and then apply for a new card before the decreased CL makes a difference in my app.

Domat

Level 2 Member
oop my bad. I doubt anyone knows for sure but I read on FT that someone calculated that the funds lowered are available in 5 weeks vs 6 months if not. That was just from his own personal data.

flyerboi69

Level 2 Member
Data point: I lowered the CL on the exec I opened in early January. I applied for another exec using the zombie link from FT today and was instantly approved for an even higher CL than the previous one.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Anybody know if I get a Citi AA Business card now, can I go back to churning the Execs? I've churned 6 Execs, most recently about 2 months ago.

DL172

Level 2 Member
Anybody know if I get a Citi AA Business card now, can I go back to churning the Execs? I've churned 6 Execs, most recently about 2 months ago.
Yea, you'll be fine. Just the normal wait time 2 cards per 2 months, 1 card each week rule.

Andres

Level 2 Member
Are you guys paying the annual fee on the Executive? Or are you churning the spend requirement quickly and then closing the card?

Andres

Level 2 Member
I have a couple of questions:

1- If I apply online, how can I get the card expedited? It seems you need to get the spend before the first statement closes. But you can get screwed if you get the card and only have a couple of days before the statement ends.

2- In FT they say you can cancel within 37 days of the annual fee hitting your account. When does the annual fee appear? Does it appear on the date you are approved, leaving you less days to cancel the card?

3- If I get the card and put the 5k spend, and pay it off before the statement closes, I should be golden, right? The only problem that I can foresee in this scenario is that your miles don't post in your AA account before the 37 days are due. In early 2014 my Citi AAdvantage Visa 50k miles didn't post for 3 months after meeting the spend requirement. Hopefully Citi solved the problem by now.

I churn the other Citi AAdvantage card, but at 18 months, it is not as good as this one. Thanks for any feedback.