100K Amex Plat Personal

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Gone so soon? I'm glad I didn't think too hard about it.

A hard pull, even if I were rejected, wouldn't have killed me. But it ended up for the best. :cool:

Erin

Level 2 Member
Signed up after verifying with AMEX that my Biz Plat will not keep me from getting the bonus. I know this has been mentioned before, but I like to have it in writing (a tweet). Had a similar situation with a Gold card a couple years back and the saved tweet made it easy to recover when they balked at the bonus.

Was instantly approved :)
I know the offer is dead now but what specifically did you ask in the tweet? I assume they went to DM and then what? Were you able to check using just your name? I think I had a Platinum card many years ago but it seems to have been prior to my record keeping spreadsheet if I did.

Surface Interval

Level 2 Member
I know the offer is dead now but what specifically did you ask in the tweet? I assume they went to DM and then what? Were you able to check using just your name? I think I had a Platinum card many years ago but it seems to have been prior to my record keeping spreadsheet if I did.
I know that I did not have a previous personal Plat, so I just asked the general question of 'does having a biz Plat preclude me from receiving a personal Plat bonus'. If you are unsure then a DM would make more sense. With approvals getting harder these days the less hard pulls the better.

Surface Interval

Level 2 Member
Interesting twist with these. I got my card and just happened to check on the offers. They include a couple that I have not seen before: 2x for any Amazon spend through 7/31 and 2x for Best Buy spend through the end of the year. I signed up for both. If nothing else I'll get 2x MR when I purchase VISA GC's at Best Buy whilst working my 3k initial spend.

Last edited:

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Thanks for the timely post, Matt. I was waiting for this offer to come back for a long time and jumped in as soon as i saw your mail. Applied for myself and my spouse and got immediate approval on mine. My spouse went to pending and got approved after a phone call.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
So I got in on the 100k Platinum offer. I made the minimum spend during the first billing period. Paid the full balance. The 100k bonus points posted shortly after I met the $3k min. spend. I still haven't received the 3000 points for the minimum spend for the month even though the bill period is closed. I wanted to book a Delta award so I tried to transfer so of the points to Delta. I got an error message so I called AMEX. Was given some BS that AMEX is auditing MR accounts to make sure that everyone got the proper amount of MRs so the account would be locked from transferring out points for up to 8 weeks! Anyone else with any experience on this issue? Has anyone tried transferring out MR from the 100k Plat Deal? I also want to seriously complain. This cost me $380 when I had to purchase a one way Delta ticket that I could have gotten for 12.5K Delta miles if I would have been able to transfer the points.

Lappie

Level 2 Member
Although I didn't get in on this deal. I did just get 25,000 for the Green Card deal. I got it, transferred to Hawaiian Wednesday with no issues. In fact, my wife and I both did it.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
So I got in on the 100k Platinum offer. I made the minimum spend during the first billing period. Paid the full balance. The 100k bonus points posted shortly after I met the $3k min. spend. I still haven't received the 3000 points for the minimum spend for the month even though the bill period is closed. I wanted to book a Delta award so I tried to transfer so of the points to Delta. I got an error message so I called AMEX. Was given some BS that AMEX is auditing MR accounts to make sure that everyone got the proper amount of MRs so the account would be locked from transferring out points for up to 8 weeks! Anyone else with any experience on this issue? Has anyone tried transferring out MR from the 100k Plat Deal? I also want to seriously complain. This cost me $380 when I had to purchase a one way Delta ticket that I could have gotten for 12.5K Delta miles if I would have been able to transfer the points.
Similar experience here. Tried many times transferring to Aeroplan and got the same BS reason. Finally ended up booking using AA miles. Just ridiculous policy from Amex this time around.

sriki

Level 2 Member
They stopped MR transfers right after they got hit with a lot of apps from the 100k offers. I thought they resolved it but maybe not.

Jus

Level 2 Member
I have a question I have an offer to upgrade my PRG to platinum and get 50k points after 5k spend in 3 months. If I do that will it disqualify me ever from getting a bonus later on since I'm upgrading and not applying for it. Reason I ask is because I'm in the midst of a mortgage and can't apply for anything outright?

My plan was as follows:
1. Upgrade without HP and get 5k spend done and 50k points
2. After next year cash out airline fees and downgrade to PRG again or something else
3. Wait for another 100k offer on platinum and apply outright if still eligible

ANyone have info or answer regarding this would be greatly appreciated

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
They stopped MR transfers right after they got hit with a lot of apps from the 100k offers. I thought they resolved it but maybe not.
Apparently not, called again, no luck, asked for a supervisor to give me a call back. Looks like they may have locked down all of the accounts associated with the 100k amex plat signup. Its just kind of ridiculous how long they are holding up the accounts. I asked to have the review of my account accelerated because I complained. I'll give an update when I hear back.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
My travel is booked through December, so as long as they sort this out in the next few months...

I'm just about to hit the spend requirement on mine.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I hit the spend before the end of the first cycle (10th of this month.)

My account shows the points, all of them, pending.

Due date is the 23rd. I guess we'll see when they post, huh? I don't really need the points till late September/early Oct, when we book for late next summer in the EU.

DavidNJ

Level 2 Member
I hit the spend before the end of the first cycle (10th of this month.)

My account shows the points, all of them, pending.

Due date is the 23rd. I guess we'll see when they post, huh? I don't really need the points till late September/early Oct, when we book for late next summer in the EU.
I hit spend on May16th. Statement closed on 5/27. No MR's to date. No hurry either for all my travel is booked through the end of the year. Will sit on MR's anyway until a really attractive partner bonus shows up.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
I somehow get a feeling that we will continue to sit and Amex will just not bother about this. They have done nothing for the past 1 month and no titan blogger has even bothered to follow up on what is happening with amex even though they are affiliated with amex. I plan to cancel my cards and ask for refund by this month end if i dont get these points available for redemption.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
WTH, have you, personally, contacted them about your missing points? I will, in two weeks, after paying the bill, if they are still pending. But it's not the job of a blogger or anyone but ME to worry about MY points.

smittytabb

Staff member
My understanding is that the 100K posts but then the rest of the points for the rest of the spend will post in the next cycle. That is how it works with MR Amex cards. I have only tried once to transfer my points, so I have no idea if mine are still frozen or not, but I am not at all surprised the rest of my points have not yet posted.

daveinla

Level 2 Member
There are a lot of posts on various forums on how to expedite the 100K points.

My wife got the 100K Plat and we really wanted those points ASAP so we could transfer to EY for the 30% bonus expiring 6/15. She did online chat 3x, asking to expedite the bonus points; all said they coulnd't do it. They referred to the MR hotline, who also said she couldn't do it. Someone suggested specifically asking to expedite the "spending MR points", which we finally did, and the points came immediately. Now I don't know if it's that key word or just timing. Her statement closed 6/8 and when we called and did online chat before that, her account showed 100K pending points. When she did the final online chat 6/10, it showed 103K+ pending points. It might've just been that the spend points became available on 6/10.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
My 100k points are not showing as "pending". The 100k points were added to my account shortly after I met the min spend. However whenever I go to transfer them to a partner I get an error message and am directed to call MR. I've called 3 times and 1 online chat session. No success get my points unlocked.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I somehow get a feeling that we will continue to sit and Amex will just not bother about this. They have done nothing for the past 1 month and no titan blogger has even bothered to follow up on what is happening with amex even though they are affiliated with amex. I plan to cancel my cards and ask for refund by this month end if i dont get these points available for redemption.
I don't plan to cancel and seek a refund. Airline credits this year and next reduce net fee to $50, and for that, I'll wait to see what Amex' next card is. Any damage to applicants' relationship with Amex (which would be wrong to impose as this offer was not targeted) is already done and it is unlikely that canceling now would change any of that.

Lack of mention by the major bloggers suggests to me that they have decided, or Amex has told them, that they should not write about this. Several of them published pointers to the link when the offer was alive, and my guess is that the silence we are seeing may mask a lively Amex-Bloggers dialogue in progress.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Mine is the business platinum, and I have no idea if there are different rules for the two products.

But I just chatted with an online CSR about the pending status of my points. "Shelby" told me that points will post in 7-10 days. As my cycle ended on the 10th, I specified "So my points will post at the latest on the 20th?

She checked and said, "Yes!"

Good news. Now to wait for next Monday to see if it was accurate...

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
Did you try Dave's suggestion, of asking for the "SPENDING" MR points?
I had a supervisor with MR call me after requesting a call back. The supervisor was unable to help. My 106k MR are locked up because the account is under review. Was told 6 to 8 weeks. I even tried specifically requesting "Spending MR". MR rewards personnel cannot help, so don't bother calling them. Any idea how I can get a hold the people doing account reviews and getting the review accelerated?

daveinla

Level 2 Member
My wife got the 103K MR to post earlier and tried to transfer 1K to EY (as a trial). Unfortunately, it looks like her MR account is locked or under review like so many others. It listed a phone number to call, but based on what other people wrote, probably no point. It's a shame she missed out on the 30% EY bonus.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I wonder. I have no doubt that Amex has employees delegated to scan hacking forums and blogs.

So many people suck the benefits out of CCs with high AFs, and then cancel, and ask for the AF to be refunded.

My strong suspicion is that, along with stopping the refunding of partial AFs after the fact, that they may be holding the points till the AF can NOT be refunded.

Sometimes, we, or our brethren, outsmart ourselves, rather than the CC companies.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
I wonder. I have no doubt that Amex has employees delegated to scan hacking forums and blogs.

So many people suck the benefits out of CCs with high AFs, and then cancel, and ask for the AF to be refunded.

My strong suspicion is that, along with stopping the refunding of partial AFs after the fact, that they may be holding the points till the AF can NOT be refunded.

Sometimes, we, or our brethren, outsmart ourselves, rather than the CC companies.
I agree. There are people over on FT bragging about how they will cancel when the 100k hits, and get the fee pro-rated or refunded. Pretty dumb in my book-after the 2 airline credits of $200 each, your net out of pocket is $50 for the 100k, lounge access, etc., even if you can't use Global Entry or the other items.

Real short term thinking.

Toddb

I used the $200 credit for Delta gift cards that can be used to pay for a Delta ticket. I also got the $85 pre-check. In January I will get $200 more for Delta tickets. For me that is $480, a $30 gain! I also get all the other car rental and hotel status upgrades that have to be good for some $$. I also have some piece of mind with the card in my wallet if my car breaks down or I leave the keys locked in it (again)!!

DanG

In general, it seems the personal amex platinum is a one year and cancel card, correct? Collect the $400 back through MileAgePLus United Airlines Amazon GC and then cancel before the 2nd $450....transfer points to an Everdaycard and take the slight credit hit instead of paying $450 a year.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
In general, it seems the personal amex platinum is a one year and cancel card, correct?
Yes, then subsequently consider the other flavors of Amex Plat, like Mercedes Benz, which have up to now been considered different products and thus eligible for signup bonuses.

Collect the $400 back through MileAgePLus United Airlines Amazon GC
And maximize the Global Entry credit

DanG

Yes, then subsequently consider the other flavors of Amex Plat, like Mercedes Benz, which have up to now been considered different products and thus eligible for signup bonuses.t
I've tried, applied for the MB card, but Amex has had some sort of delivery system issues and it hasn't shipped in 15 days.

plane2port

Level 2 Member
My second year annual fee is due so I decided to give the retention department a little call. They offered me 25k points to keep the card. I took it. With the net annual fee of $50 and the other benefits I think this is a reasonable deal.

Surface Interval

Level 2 Member
My second year annual fee is due so I decided to give the retention department a little call. They offered me 25k points to keep the card. I took it. With the net annual fee of $50 and the other benefits I think this is a reasonable deal.
How to get net $50? The $200/yr airline credit is the only 'gimme' that I am aware of. Please help me get more out of my card! Thank you.

plane2port

Level 2 Member
How to get net $50? The $200/yr airline credit is the only 'gimme' that I am aware of. Please help me get more out of my card! Thank you.
I was thinking that the airline credits are earned per calender year, while the annual fee is charged yearly near the anniversary of your card opening. If you are holding the card for a year or two, then you get more of your annual fee back, assuming you cancel the card before the new fee is charged in the 2nd or 3rd year.

Your net would be even greater if you take advantage of the $100 global entry credit.

It's been on my mind in the last few years that we should have some sort of medical evacuation insurance. I feel like I can put off this decision for another year, because the AMEX Plat offers up to $100,000 of evac insurance. The best part is that you don't even need to use the card to pay for your trip for the insurance to be effective.

I've enjoyed the lounge access this last year.

Two things I haven't used yet that I want to look into this year--the free Companion Pass, and the cruise credit.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Any spend on the card in the last year?