100K Amex Plat Personal

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
So I am 3 days away from 90 days since my last 3 credit inquiries. I was able to get this for my wife. Now trying to decided if I should:
1. Apply now
2. Wait 3 days and hope the offer is still available
3. Hold off for a while, use the benefits through my wifes card (we usually travel together) and apply for the 100k plat in a year a so when hopefully another 100k offer comes along

thoughts?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So I am 3 days away from 90 days since my last 3 credit inquiries. I was able to get this for my wife. Now trying to decided if I should:
1. Apply now
3. Hold off for a while, use the benefits through my wifes card (we usually travel together) and apply for the 100k plat in a year a so when hopefully another 100k offer comes along

thoughts?
1 or 3

Craig

Level 2 Member
1. Apply now

thoughts?
This offer lasted less than 3 days when it was around in August. If you value MR, this is as good a time as we have seen to get them.

rb2k

Level 2 Member
I'm very much thinking about it. I just opened the Mercedes Benz one for 75k the other week, but hadn't opened other cards for a while. I guess this comes around every now and then, so I will probably just wait. If I have to pay the fee, I might as well use some of the benefits as opposed to doubling up on them.

madage

Level 2 Member
Weird. Didn't get instant approval after submitting, but approved email in my inbox seconds later. Thanks for the link!

Alice

Level 2 Member
EDIT: Email approval after a couple of mins.

Got a long whirring wait, then a second screen asking for info on which types of accounts held (savings, checking etc), then got a pending / 14 days notice, but when I saved the screen it saved the page with the title "Amex Systems Down" so maybe the pending is a system issue rather than a real pending. Fingers Crossed. This is for spouse. I got this last year.

smittytabb

Staff member
Weird. Didn't get instant approval after submitting, but approved email in my inbox seconds later. Thanks for the link!
That's exactly what happened to me! Just applied and it said 14 days and then I checked email and approval was there. Have card all set up online. So glad I was online and saw this. Was going to 75K Mercedes app later this week...

smittytabb

Staff member
Got a long whirring wait, then a second screen asking for info on which types of accounts held (savings, checking etc), then got a pending / 14 days notice, but when I saved the screen it saved the page with the title "Amex Systems Down" so maybe the pending is a system issue rather than a real pending. Fingers Crossed. This is for spouse. I got this last year.
Check your email. Mine went to pending but email was there immediately with approval!

smittytabb

Staff member
This offer lasted less than 3 days when it was around in August. If you value MR, this is as good a time as we have seen to get them.
And it lasted less than a few hours when my husband got it several years ago. I have been waiting patiently for this for a long time as I just missed the last time...

Judge

Level 2 Member
Matt, how have you never had an Amex Plat card before? How could all of you not have this card before? I understand the newbies at /churning not having it, but seasoned members? Am I missing something with the new one time ever bonuses?

Jamie

Level 2 Member
1. Apply now

thoughts?
Yep, do what Matt said, 1 or 3. There's nothing in stone about those 90 days. If you want to go for it this time around, grab it. I'd lean more towards 3, though. We've seen 100K every once in a while, and you only need your wife's for the bennies. But 1 or 3 would be good options, depending upon what your preference is.

smittytabb

Staff member
Matt, how have you never had an Amex Plat card before? How could all of you not have this card before? I understand the newbies at /churning not having it, but seasoned members? Am I missing something with the new one time ever bonuses?
So my husband got it the first time I had ever seen 100k. I am his AU. I decided I would only apply for the card for myself when it was a very large bonus. The last time there was 100K, I missed it. I apply for cards very strategically and only when I think I have an excellent chance of being approved and the bonus is among the best I have seen. My strategy has worked great so far. Never been denied.

LoveMountains

Level 2 Member
That's exactly what happened to me! Just applied and it said 14 days and then I checked email and approval was there. Have card all set up online. So glad I was online and saw this. Was going to 75K Mercedes app later this week...
It was my plan as well. But I've just got approved for this 100k.
Are you thinking about applying for 75 Mercedes today to share 1 pull?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
It was my plan as well. But I've just got approved for this 100k.
Are you thinking about applying for 75 Mercedes today to share 1 pull?
That's a lot of annual fee, and a loss of the future bennies... personally I wouldn't. I think that a Plat can just about be worthwhile to hold during a year, especially if there is a free AU involved, but if you apply for both you are going pure fee to pts vs fee to pts+lounge/status.

LoveMountains

Level 2 Member
That's a lot of annual fee, and a loss of the future bennies... personally I wouldn't. I think that a Plat can just about be worthwhile to hold during a year, especially if there is a free AU involved, but if you apply for both you are going pure fee to pts vs fee to pts+lounge/status.
Good points and good reasons to pass.
It was just extra 25k on Mersedes was tempting. Presumable never happened before (is it true?).

Now, I am thinking about Green Charge Card. 25k points / 1,000 spend. No annual fee.
Crappy & useless card, but 25k points for $1k spend and shared pull.

Chris S.

California Coast - Hwy 1
I'm 2 for 2 on AMEX Plat,1 personal, 1 business both 100K. Wife tell me last night, we have another offer or 150K but with 15k spend. don't think I can pull this off. Naaaa I'll pass of that one. No need to be greedy

Surface Interval

Level 2 Member
Signed up after verifying with AMEX that my Biz Plat will not keep me from getting the bonus. I know this has been mentioned before, but I like to have it in writing (a tweet). Had a similar situation with a Gold card a couple years back and the saved tweet made it easy to recover when they balked at the bonus.

Was instantly approved :)