Retention Bonuses

CCTWW3

Level 2 Member
Just offered:
  1. Citi Business AAdvantage MasterCard (opened 8/14): $95 annual fee waived after $3,500 in spending in three months
  2. Chase Ink Bold (opened 6/14): 10,000 points after $5,000 in spending in three months
Closed the Citi and was more than happy to retain the Ink! I never get worthwhile Citi offers...

somdave2005

Level 2 Member
What do you guys actually say to the phone reps when you ask for retention bonuses? Do you just say you want to cancel and see if they offer anything?

milesman99

Level 2 Member
All you have to do is call them and tell them you want to cancel the account due to AF, but tell them that you really don't want to close the account and also tell them how much you like the benefits of the account and also try to show them you spent a lot on the card(only if you spent alot)

somdave2005

Level 2 Member
All you have to do is call them and tell them you want to cancel the account due to AF, but tell them that you really don't want to close the account and also tell them how much you like the benefits of the account and also try to show them you spent a lot on the card(only if you spent alot)

What if you don't have an annual fee lol. Heard of retention bonus for Citi Premier, but I'm grandfathered for no annual fee.

smittytabb

Staff member
Citi AA World Elite MC got offered Spend $95, get $95 credit (amount of AF) or spend 1K in 3 months, get 7.5K AA miles. Took second option, which may not be the best of the two now that I think about it:) Last year I got spend 1K get bonus 1K miles for 16 months. This just seemed so much easier, oh well.

MrDioji

Level 2 Member
Citi Platinum Aadvantage opened 8 months ago. Called to cancel since I have an Aviator and want to reset the 18-month-since-open/closed clock.

Got an offer for 3,000 bonus points for $500 spend. Accepted and will try to cancel again when bonus posts.

I asked about retention offers at ~6 months and they had nothing.

spencetheintense

Level 2 Member
Called today:

Chase SW Plus: 2 months from fee (offered 3,000 SW points without commitment and should post before annual fee)

Chase SW Premier: 5 months from fee (offered 3,000 SW points without commitment and will post before annual fee)

Chase Ink+: Agent couldn't offer anything, so I asked politely if I could speak with retention. She said she would get her supervisor on the line. He said he couldn't do anything for me, so maybe I'll call back again. I put a lot of 5% spend on this one. A bit surprised they didn't budge.

Barclay Aviator Red: Systems was being strange and they said they couldn't offer anything. December is when fee kicks in. Will call again and cancel if needed.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
Called just now on Citi Exec. Given three choices:

$250 statement credit with $3K spend in 3 months
5K miles and $100 credit for $1500 spend in three months
15K miles for $5K spend in 3 months

smittytabb

Staff member
Called just now on Citi Exec. Given three choices:

$250 statement credit with $3K spend in 3 months
5K miles and $100 credit for $1500 spend in three months
15K miles for $5K spend in 3 months
Which one did you select, if any?

CCTWW3

Level 2 Member
No go on getting an SPG annual fee credit, even though I've been using it heavily over the past year.

idearr

Level 2 Member
Called regarding Chase Sapphire Preferred. Was confirming how long I have after fee hits to cancel. Mentioned with the 7% dividend and First Friday gone didn't think card made as much sense and asked if any ways to offset the fee. Rep said no and she can't see the retention offers until someone calls and is discussing the possibility of canceling. I said OK, I was going to cancel by secure message after this month's points post, can she access any cancellation offers? At that point she could and offered me 6000 points for $4000 spend over the next three months. I took the offer and will probably keep the card ....

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I just had the most bizarre conversation ever w/Barclays . Called to ask for retention on SOs BA+. Told them he's hard of hearing, could he give permission for me to talk for him. NO, he had to get on the line and do business with them. I protested, CSR checked w/supervisor and finally agreed we could "conference" or speaker phone but "he has to make the request himself using his own words, you can relay things to him but..."
OK, so we went through that farce. He asked to be transferred to retention, she said she couldn't do it until he told his story and then only if her computer let her. SO was great, said spends lots on card-- he does--considering cancelling or downgrading. She said, "do you want to cancel?" I interrupted and asked if that was the only choice, what about a downgrade and she said, "this account cannot be downgraded, my computer won't let me. Do you want to cancel?" (she also said she'd never heard of AF being waived, definite newbie BUT they are at the mercy of their computers). He asked again about retention dept. and she said, 'I have to start processing your cancellation and at that point I will see if the computer gives me an option to transfer you."

When I called a couple months ago I was transferred to retention she asked, "you want to close your card today? Let me see if there is anything I can do." She then said, "I can waive the $89 fee." I asked if there was anything else she could do and she said, "no, there's nothing else on your card and I'm actually surprised you got the $89 offer, I'm not seeing these right now."

Anyone else ever heard of not being able to DG A+? Is it worth it to HUCA? Do you think it possible he was treted differently (not transf to retention) because I was 'coaching" him?

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
I just had the most bizarre conversation ever w/Barclays . Called to ask for retention on SOs BA+. Told them he's hard of hearing, could he give permission for me to talk for him. NO, he had to get on the line and do business with them. I protested, CSR checked w/supervisor and finally agreed we could "conference" or speaker phone but "he has to make the request himself using his own words, you can relay things to him but..."
OK, so we went through that farce. He asked to be transferred to retention, she said she couldn't do it until he told his story and then only if her computer let her. SO was great, said spends lots on card-- he does--considering cancelling or downgrading. She said, "do you want to cancel?" I interrupted and asked if that was the only choice, what about a downgrade and she said, "this account cannot be downgraded, my computer won't let me. Do you want to cancel?" (she also said she'd never heard of AF being waived, definite newbie BUT they are at the mercy of their computers). He asked again about retention dept. and she said, 'I have to start processing your cancellation and at that point I will see if the computer gives me an option to transfer you."

When I called a couple months ago I was transferred to retention she asked, "you want to close your card today? Let me see if there is anything I can do." She then said, "I can waive the $89 fee." I asked if there was anything else she could do and she said, "no, there's nothing else on your card and I'm actually surprised you got the $89 offer, I'm not seeing these right now."

Anyone else ever heard of not being able to DG A+? Is it worth it to HUCA? Do you think it possible he was treted differently (not transf to retention) because I was 'coaching" him?
Barclays is a strange company to start with. That said, I do think that you coaching him impacted the call, although it sounds like you had a major PITA CSR. I would HUCA, but if possible, have your SO initiate the conversation with Barclays rather than you on his behalf.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
When I applied for too many cards a year ago I knew all the rules but now... yikes! We've been remodeling and everything is topsy turvy including records and paperwork.

Citi Exec-- Three months ago I got a $50 month credit for spending $1500 per month for up to 7 months. I was planning on keeping the card but with US Buxx closing it's not worth it to me and the card was marginal at best for me.

How does pro-ration of the AF work? CSR checked with supervisor and they were unable to tell me (a great CSR BTW) as "the computer calculates it." I'd assume it would be monthly and not daily but... She also couldn't tell me the anniversary date for my AF but did tell me my 37 days weren't up but I'm pretty sure I'm close.

What's at stake here of the AF vs getting credit for $1600 miles and $50 credit on last statement and same thing for next statement. Does that make sense?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Since I wasn't sure and no one answered I closed the Citi Exec today w/full refund of $450. Retention told me I could DG to a Citi Gold but then it wouldn't go tghrough. I paid this month's and next month's balnce b efore I closed the card. CSR wasn't sure-- I know, I know, CSRs don't know-- about miles and points. Yesterday CSR said they currently couldn't do much of anything until Nov 1 as they're switching from MC to VISA, today's retention CSR was more cryptic, "not sure why my computer won't let me do it." For some reason my AA Advantage account only shows summary current balance and no monthly activity.

I call US Bank to get fee waiver on Club Carlson or do to downgrade--1st anniversary AF just posted and I'd never gotten around to asking for refund for last year's fee for devaluation of card. They agreed immediately to credit $75 AF for this year-- only problem was I had to wait on hold for 20 minutes for supervisor. On to SOs Chase Ink+.

smittytabb

Staff member
Since I wasn't sure and no one answered I closed the Citi Exec today w/full refund of $450. Retention told me I could DG to a Citi Gold but then it wouldn't go tghrough. I paid this month's and next month's balnce b efore I closed the card. CSR wasn't sure-- I know, I know, CSRs don't know-- about miles and points. Yesterday CSR said they currently couldn't do much of anything until Nov 1 as they're switching from MC to VISA, today's retention CSR was more cryptic, "not sure why my computer won't let me do it." For some reason my AA Advantage account only shows summary current balance and no monthly activity.

I call US Bank to get fee waiver on Club Carlson or do to downgrade--1st anniversary AF just posted and I'd never gotten around to asking for refund for last year's fee for devaluation of card. They agreed immediately to credit $75 AF for this year-- only problem was I had to wait on hold for 20 minutes for supervisor. On to SOs Chase Ink+.
Citi Exec is switching to Visa? Haven't heard that anywhere else. I thought they were going all Mastercard. They recently switched my Citi AA Advantage Platinum Visa to a MC.

Boy I just get no love from US Bank Club Carlson. When I called to complain, I got 2k instead of 7.5K points. When I called to have the annual fee waived, they refused. And I paid it anyway. Then when I called to ask why after paying my AF and being loyal, I was one of the people that did NOT get a free night cert good anywhere in the world. I was told a supervisor would call me back in 48 hours. It never happened. So I secure messaged them and they told me the CEO would look into it and get back with me and I still have heard nothing in over a week. My e-cert posted for one night anywhere in the U.S., but I earned that by spending 30K last year. You are lucky to get it waived. These things are so random.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Citi Exec is switching to Visa? You are lucky to get it waived. (snip) These things are so random.
I swear that is what I heard, can't vow that's what she said :)-- I know there are lots of changes happening in November, it's been mentioned several places.

I think after our experience w/Arrival plus for SO--it was like 20 mins of torture and didn't get the fee waived, I lucked out w/US Bank. It is random. Maybe it was my language, when I'm ready to cancel I'm much more forceful than when I'm just trying to get an AF waived. I went all out asked to have last year's AF refunded because of the change in terms of contract and devaluation of the card. That's what got me transferred to "supervisor."

It's getting harder and harder to get transferred to "retention" even if you say the magic "cancellation" word...

CCTWW3

Level 2 Member
Hold both the Personal Delta AMEX Platinum Personal and Business Delta Reserve to achieve Medallion status through manufactured spending. The annual fee hit on both cards and I called and complained about the Delta award chart devaluation. Was offered 25,000 SkyMiles for each card. The first bonus posted to my Delta account within several days. Still waiting on the second 25K batch to hit.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
Has anyone had recent success with Club Carlson waiving the AF? I've been debating closing both mine and hubs card. We each got a free night cert and I think we should each get the 10k points once we pay the fee.

smittytabb

Staff member
I was just offered 3000 SPG points when calling in about cancelling my SPG Amex. I was surprised to get anything, since I hadn't seen much about it getting any retention offers.
Oh nice. Need to call myself. Didn't get around to it today. Good to hear.