You Could Own Two Chase Freedom Cards

C

chasingthepoints

Some readers know that I have a Chase Freedom Visa and a Chase Freedom Mastercard. I received a letter from Chase notifying me that they will replace my Freedom Mastercard with a Visa.

What’s awesome is that I will get to keep the new Freedom Visa which means I’ll have two Freedoms at my disposal for the quarterly calendar.

Having the two Freedoms have been hugely beneficial because I could manufacture spend $3000 per quarter versus $1500 of a single card holder. In 2013, it was very profitable with the rotating categories. So far, this year hasn’t been too good. I’m hoping that the department store category will be a good one again like last year with Neiman Marcus.

Continue reading...

st1575

Level 2 Member
Chase is gradually converting all of its non-cobranded cards (Freedom, Sapphire(s), Slate, Ink, etc.) to Visa from MC. This is old news.

Why are you surprised that you get to "keep" the new Freedom Visa? It's a legitimate, separate credit line and only the payment network is changing. Besides, many folks have multiple Freedoms from product changes, downgrades, and conversions from older cards so clearly Chase doesn't care.

Vic Diaz

Level 2 Member
I use to have two freedom cards, the first credit card I had was a student product that they cancelled and they then converted to a Freedom card. Then I had a freedom card that I had applied for in college. I did not know about MS and wanted to increase my credit limit on one card so they suggested I close one and apply the credit towards the one I wanted to keep open. Worst mistake ever now that I know how to manufacture spend the categories when they come around. The CSR rick rolled me. Boo.

madage

Level 2 Member
I use to have two freedom cards, the first credit card I had was a student product that they cancelled and they then converted to a Freedom card. Then I had a freedom card that I had applied for in college. I did not know about MS and wanted to increase my credit limit on one card so they suggested I close one and apply the credit towards the one I wanted to keep open. Worst mistake ever now that I know how to manufacture spend the categories when they come around. The CSR rick rolled me. Boo.
No big deal. Wait for a good sapphire bonus and convert the sapphire to a freedom after taking advantage of the transferable points.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Any datapoints of successful conversions lately? I'm getting denied, and only offered Sapphire right now.
Is your CSP a year old or older? Might make a difference on the available options - at least that was what I was told.

I converted wife's CSP about 3 weeks ago. AF had posted about a couple weeks before. Called in for options and tried to get it waived but no bueno. So, I asked if Freedom was a choice for a downgrade along with fee free Sapphire. Rep said no problem - both options would stay available until we decided. Called back a week later and it was a quick conversation to PC.

Last edited: