Why refrigerator magnets are the best travel souvenirs...

oso

Level 2 Member
Me, too. Can't see the ones in #16 and #17. Links broken?

My wife used collect magnets when she was flying. The only one she's missing is from where we met! I'm not big on souvenirs but maybe completing the collection is another reason to visit again.

Since young, I've never been big on souvenirs but I love hearing about other's collections. It's also fantastic to see travel finds used as home decor and furnishing. They hold tons of memories and are great converation starters for idle guests hanging in kitchen while we're still cooking.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
Love the noodle bowl, @druiddation
Thanks, got it from a little gift shop just past Gate 1 at HKG.

I like the elephant one. Where is that from?
From a row of tourist and gift shops at BKK. Depending on the amount of small bills I have left from a trip,and the length of the line at Starbucks (if they have one) I either load the remainder of my foreign currency to my Starbucks' gift card or buy small gifts and fridge magnets from an airport gift shop.

druiddation

Level 2 Member
out of curiosity, can anyone actually see my uploaded image in post #12? I am asking b/c I can never see someone else's upload images. I always get permission denied. I wonder if we are all doing something wrong. @Matt?
I can see your images in post #12. I get the "You do not have permission to view media within this album" error when clicking on the links in post 16 or 17. I noticed a couple options when trying to attach a photo to a post, Image or Media Gallery Imbed.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
My wife and I started with magnets on our honeymoon (16 months ago). We only buy magnets on 2+ night trips (lots to do in SoCal). We want our fridge to be full!

BrandiP

Very cool collection of magnets, you inspired me to grab one on our last trip to Cancun! I like the google map too, can that be done with standard google map or is it an application?

knarayan

Level 2 Member
Love collecting magnets. Have been doing that for the last 12 years now. Knowing my fascination for them, my friends started getting them for me from places where I have never been. So it is a mix of magnets now..

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I have sand in empty water bottles. My intention was to layer the sand in a big beaker and write the location/date on it in colored Sharpie. But, the bottles just sit in the closet. Except for the black sand from Vik, Iceland. I've kept it on my bedside table because I like to look at it when I go to bed. Well. It is now on my dresser because I woke at 4 am completely dehydrated from my holiday party last night and tried to drink it.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
OH! My husband collects Mentos from our travels. He's even gotten our children being on the look out no matter where they are. Very occasionally a new flavor shows up in our neck of the woods. My plan was to take the wrappers and find a artist who can collage them. But, now he refuses to cut the wrappers off and has them in gallon bags stacked in a kitchen cabinet. I try to find him new flavors online for Christmas and Father's Day. The best/coolest flavors are in Asia....a place we've yet to go. But, NapaJapan online has been a good friend to me!

nickel285

Level 2 Member
Here's part of my growing collection :)

My mother hasn't been able to travel as much as she's wanted to, but she started collecting magnet from friend's and relatives who do travel. She's go 2 big magnetic boards that she hangs on the wall. I think it looks really cool, I may do that too when I get enough.

craig d

My wife loves getting magnets places we go too, but also she gets them from places others (family, coworkers) go to as well. Honestly think that takes away from it, but they are cool to look at

Sky WIzard

Level 2 Member
We collect coffee mugs, particularly ones from Starbucks. It is super cool everytime we drink coffee to pick one off the shelf and reminisce about that trip. A little more pricey, but more useful imo.

aerovol

We collect Christmas ornaments. Don't have to have a place to keep them on display all year, plus you can reminisce about the trip each year when you decorate the tree. I have found ornaments can be hard to find in certain places, but a key chain works pretty well as a substitute. Just take the ring off. For some reason, key chains are everywhere.
The key chain idea is a great one, thanks for sharing. I'm beginning to shift my "souvenirs" from t shirts I never wear to Christmas ornaments.