Why refrigerator magnets are the best travel souvenirs...

In full disclosure I will say that I started my collection as a single guy living in an apartment with not much space for collections. I am not a materialistic person. I would be the opposite of what you would call a hoarder. I hold on to almost nothing. Growing up the refrigerator in my house was a colorful collage of magnets that displayed our tests, report cards, pizza delivery menus and reminder notes to each other. When I finally moved out and I got my first apartment I had a roommate who didn't travel much. Neither of us had many possessions because we had both moved from our parents houses. After my roommate and I settled into our new place I noticed we had no refrigerator magnets. I had an upcoming trip so I vowed to pick up a few. My first trip was Europe with my friends a 10 day 3 country/3 city tour of Prague, Vienna, and finally Munich of Oktoberfest. Upon arrival in each city I set out on a quest to find no less than 2-3 magnets for each city. At least one magnet had to be the flag of the country I was in and another one had to say to name of the city. That is how I started my collection in 2009. Since then my hunt has taken my to over a dozen countries. My wife lets me pick them and she will help me. But I often tell her that I need the magnet to "speak to me". To this date I have approximately 70 magnets on the fridge. When I met my wife in 2012 I told her of my hobby and she quickly got on board. I often tell people of my stories from travels and every now and then I find myself justifying why refrigerator magnets are the perfect travel souvenirs. So here it goes:
1) They are cheap. I usually buy them for $0.50 -$3.00 each. Often you can buy 3 for $5.00. (I rarely haggle over magnets. My wife enjoys doing that.) 2) They are small and lightweight. After purchasing them I can place them in my pocket or my wife's purse. They take up no room in my luggage and also don't add any weight. 3) They are easy to display. In my experience when you have guests over people tend to hover around the kitchen area. Having the magnets displayed on the refrigerator can serve as a a talking piece and people can easy see them. I know people who collect postcards but I find they are harder to display. Shot glasses collect dust and easily break. T-shirts rarely get worn and are often found in the bottom of the drawer. As with most things this is my experience. People may collect various things but I find for the un-materialistic person magnet are definitely the way to go.

John

Level 2 Member
I love this post. I have been doing it for over 30 years. It was the easier take home souvenir. I had so many that I stopped. Now it has to be a special place or item that I bring home.

nrdk

Level 2 Member
Same, 1 from each location I visit, with either country or city name (depending on the type/span of trip). Vacation only is/was always a rule for me too, never from work related trips unless leisure time is built in as well.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
DH got me into collecting magnets. He always looks for the unique ones. Lately though I've been trying to find interesting objects from each place of travel that I can display in a glass shelf or something. Trouble is I hate shopping - would rather spend more time sightseeing, sampling food, sleeping in nice bed, etc. But I want something interesting to show for my hobby, so I try to force myself to leave some time for souvenir shopping.

For me though, the biggest memory trigger is not objects, not even pictures, but music. The music I heard on the trip. My trips have a monogamous relationship with music - one trip per set of songs, meaning that set of songs is associated with one and only one trip. Whenever I hear it, that's the trip it brings me back to. Many random associations, but it's the only way that works for me.

Was in a Malaysian restaurant in Vancouver recently. The music was right up my alley. Don't even know how to describe it - some kind of new age chillout pop? Tried my best to track it down but waiter didn't know. One of many great random encounters.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
The only reason I don't have a stainless steel refrigerator!

I like to buy something I can wear also. My husband's colleagues look forward to seeing what I wear to the company Christmas party!

smittytabb

Staff member
My husband's secretary collects magnets and so we are always getting them for her. He had another secretary that collected coca cola paraphenalia from around the world. That was really fun to look for and find, and is an iteresting thing to collect. I find it of interest that someone wants to collect international magnets or other souvenirs from places they haven't been, but it is fairly common. I used to bring back keychains for a secretary as well in my department. I guess a lot of people are never going to go to these places and so it is vicarious. The secretary who I would bring the keychains to had actually never been on a plane. It is a good reminder how this hobby can make you think everyone is traveling and obviously most people in the world really are not.

smittytabb

Staff member
Personally I collect more things than I should, but I enjoy finding earrings and small boxes when I travel. I travel light so these two small things are easy. My mother began collecting small boxes before me and I took up the practice myself, all the while getting them for her too in my travels. Now that my mother is gone, I have her collection on my mantlepiece all together reminding me of her. Mine are scattered throughout the house. I always wear earrings and they are super fun to collect as well.

I prefer something I can wear, because then every time I wear it, I think of that trip. I still wear the raw silk scarf (all of 20 euros) I bought in a little shop in Venice, just down the street from our B&B. It takes me back to standing on a bridge over the Grand Canal at dusk, and what could be better than that?
My wife is like that too. She likes to collect scarves from different locations. She told me that when a someone asks her where she got a particular scarf she instantly feels transported back to the place she got it.

DH got me into collecting magnets. He always looks for the unique ones. Lately though I've been trying to find interesting objects from each place of travel that I can display in a glass shelf or something. Trouble is I hate shopping - would rather spend more time sightseeing, sampling food, sleeping in nice bed, etc. But I want something interesting to show for my hobby, so I try to force myself to leave some time for souvenir shopping.

For me though, the biggest memory trigger is not objects, not even pictures, but music. The music I heard on the trip. My trips have a monogamous relationship with music - one trip per set of songs, meaning that set of songs is associated with one and only one trip. Whenever I hear it, that's the trip it brings me back to. Many random associations, but it's the only way that works for me.

Was in a Malaysian restaurant in Vancouver recently. The music was right up my alley. Don't even know how to describe it - some kind of new age chillout pop? Tried my best to track it down but waiter didn't know. One of many great random encounters.
I agree with you on my hatred of shopping. Lucky for me my wife doesn't like to shop when we travel. Living in so close to NYC she can get pretty much anything she wants or needs at home. That leaves most of our time spent exploring, sightseeing, and trying new foods.

The only reason I don't have a stainless steel refrigerator!

I like to buy something I can wear also. My husband's colleagues look forward to seeing what I wear to the company Christmas party!
Lucky for you. We are in the process of buying a new house and renovating the fridge. My wife wants a stainless steel fridge. She said she has a plan for all the magnets. She is going to make some sort of decorative gallery wall.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Our souvenirs: sand from the beach (or salt from the dead sea, ash from the volcano, etc), which we put in a tiny jar and mount on a world map. And cheap little trinkets we can hang, which we use as Christmas ornaments. Lots of those are keyrings.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
Not into fridge magnets. They won't work on my stainless steel fridge and I like a more uncluttered look anyway.

I'm not a big souvenir buyer. Typically I bring back a shawl or two, which I wear a lot. They make great gifts too, at least for women, since one size fits all. We also bring back art (prints, scrolls from China and the like) which can be rolled or packed flat, but we are running out of wall space and I've never gotten into rotating the framed art we have, so I am doing that less and less.

Sometimes I bring back small rocks, feathers, dried flowers, shells, or other natural items typical of the region that could go in the memory display box I plan to make, but then I never do anything with them, partly because we have little space left to display the boxes either!

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Unfortunately we only started collecting dirt in October 2014, so Alaska (glacial sand), Taormina (ash from Etna which had erupted a month before) and most of our U.S. travels are missing from the map. Sorry the picture sucks.
Love this! We have sand from Sahara that we accidentally brought home in our shoes! Now I know what to do with it!

Max

Level 2 Member
I did this exact same thing when I was in Austria this past April.

A nice little bonus is if they have a bottle opener on the bottom of them. So they can be decorative and functional.

I couldn't resist making one of these for 2014. Says it all.

Other than bragging rights, another reason to make one is to identify gaps with great visual clarity. I saw from this that I was making a lot of domestic trips and not enough in EU. Out came the EU trip and 2 Canada trips of 2015.

Awesome. Great Idea. My wife and I have a World Map with different colored map pins to signify where we've been, upcoming trips, and dream destinations.

mmax1

Level 2 Member
We collect Christmas ornaments. Don't have to have a place to keep them on display all year, plus you can reminisce about the trip each year when you decorate the tree. I have found ornaments can be hard to find in certain places, but a key chain works pretty well as a substitute. Just take the ring off. For some reason, key chains are everywhere.

smittytabb

Staff member
Awesome. Great Idea. My wife and I have a World Map with different colored map pins to signify where we've been, upcoming trips, and dream destinations.
Yeah, I've got the map with the pins too. That reminds me I need to update it!

We collect Christmas ornaments. Don't have to have a place to keep them on display all year, plus you can reminisce about the trip each year when you decorate the tree. I have found ornaments can be hard to find in certain places, but a key chain works pretty well as a substitute. Just take the ring off. For some reason, key chains are everywhere.
I also collect Xmas ornaments. I have a lot of travel collections.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I do have one particularly impressive souvenir. SIL's dad and stepmom own a camper, and they travel all over Italy in the summertime.

The first time we were there, his dad took a piece of worked stone he'd found, washing in the surf off Calabria, and mounted it as a going home gift for us. It's a piece of a villa that was built sometime in the 3rd century. It's not big, but it's amazing. He justified taking it, because, after all, it was going to be rubble within a few years, as no one has bothered to do any archeological work in the area. There are pieces of that villa all over that particular beach.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
out of curiosity, can anyone actually see my uploaded image in post #12? I am asking b/c I can never see someone else's upload images. I always get permission denied. I wonder if we are all doing something wrong. @Matt?