Which card is right for me? / AOR help

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Based out of Baltimore. So grab a US air cc to transfer over to AA since I won't be able to get a US air card again?
Right. I'm far from an expert and don't know what the rewards are on the US Air right now. I think--others know more than I--the US Air/AA merge w/b spring 2015? I also read--US Air cards are going to be converted to ???? I'm not sure. Lots of speculation about devaluation but nothing you can do about that. I think it's still 40K miles but double check and hopefully someone can chime in and tell you more. Lots of folks, me included, have had to recon w/Barclay for 2nd card but you can do it!

Do you need Hilton Honors or any other Amex?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Based out of Baltimore. So grab a US air cc to transfer over to AA since I won't be able to get a US air card again?
How about an American Express via Ameriprise?
https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-cards-and-lending/cards/platinum-card-from-american-express.asp <<<The link that was being shared says offer ends 8/31 but I don't see an expiration date on the link below.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/apply/platinum-card-from-american-express/70-1000-1

Edit: here's a link on US Air (it was the easiest quickest one I could find, forgive :) but do NOT click on the link or apply from that website)
http://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/us-airways-mastercard-benefits-changing-in-2015/

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
How about an American Express via Ameriprise?
https://www.ameriprise.com/cash-cards-and-lending/cards/platinum-card-from-american-express.asp <<<The link that was being shared says offer ends 8/31 but I don't see an expiration date on the link below.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/apisites/microsite/apply/platinum-card-from-american-express/70-1000-1

Edit: here's a link on US Air (it was the easiest quickest one I could find, forgive :) but do NOT click on the link or apply from that website)
http://thepointsguy.com/2014/05/us-airways-mastercard-benefits-changing-in-2015/
So my charity link for the US Air card wouldn't be appropriate?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
So my charity link for the US Air card wouldn't be appropriate?
Your charity link for US Air would be totally appropriate. I said don't click on "the Points Guy link." I'm trying to get out of town and didn't take the time to check to see what links you have. I don't have time right now to search for your links so for all of us out here who would like to click on your links, can you do a resource? :). Seriously, please make it easy --for someone like me in a hurry--to find the link(s), pretty please?

mrsjon01

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Your charity link for US Air would be totally appropriate. I said don't click on "the Points Guy link." I'm trying to get out of town and didn't take the time to check to see what links you have. I don't have time right now to search for your links so for all of us out here who would like to click on your links, can you do a resource? :). Seriously, please make it easy --for someone like me in a hurry--to find the link(s), pretty please?
I love the idea for a resource with all the charity links, gotta make it idiot-proof. No offense, @Annie H. :)

smittytabb

Staff member
Just a quick heads up on this. Even though the merger is in process the frequent flier programs of AA and US are not merged. AA miles are totally separate from US miles. They are both One World and can each be used to book awards potentially of similar type. However, their award charts are separate (with sweet spots differing) and their miles cannot be transferred back and forth at all right now, nor can they be combined in any way. Everyone is going off an assumption that one AA mile will equal one US mile in the future mostly I think because that is what has happened in the past with other mergers of this kind and scale.

The Barclays US Airways card will go away and that is because the fully combined merged airline will only have Citibank for all of the cards associated with the airline. There was much speculation for awhile about the US card becoming the Arrival, but there is no real reason to assume that. At this point I would treat them as different cards that align with different programs. It will be still some months before US and AA miles will be able to be combined in any way.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
For

And

I love the idea for a resource with all the charity links, gotta make it idiot-proof. No offense, @Annie H. :)
Menu.PNG

Unifer

Level 2 Member
Hi all,

I've got plenty of Airline/points-based CCs, but really no cash back cards. Credit score 750 or so. I have a specific need for travel-based CB cards as I just moved to NYC and will be buying the monthly transit pass at $112/month. Of course I also have plenty of other travel-based charges throughout the year that I can't pay with points (most notably AirBNB).

So, questions:

1) After reviewing it seems like Arrival Plus and Venture Rewards are two early front-runners for ease of use and high travel CB. Can both cards be redeemed for any travel - specifically AirBNB and muni transit?

2) I only have one Barclays card, US airways, and I'm putting some spend on it as I've read Barclays looks for that when examining your apps for other cards. Any minimum levels of spend I should get (I'm over $600 in the past 30 days now)

3) Also I know Fidelity Visa 1.5/2% and Amex 2% are good options.. does the "cash management account" I have to open with Fidelity as part of the cash back process allow me to get a no-fee ATM card, or is that something else?

4) I see Cap One pulls from all three bureaus... strike against them?

5) Should I attempt to get both cards at once?! All 3 at once (One of the Fidelity cards)?

Thanks in advance wise sages of Saverocity!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I've got plenty of Airline/points-based CCs, but really no cash back cards. Credit score 750 or so. I have a specific need for travel-based CB cards as I just moved to NYC and will be buying the monthly transit pass at $112/month. Of course I also have plenty of other travel-based charges throughout the year that I can't pay with points (most notably AirBNB).

So, questions:

1) After reviewing it seems like Arrival Plus and Venture Rewards are two early front-runners for ease of use and high travel CB. Can both cards be redeemed for any travel - specifically AirBNB and muni transit?

2) I only have one Barclays card, US airways, and I'm putting some spend on it as I've read Barclays looks for that when examining your apps for other cards. Any minimum levels of spend I should get (I'm over $600 in the past 30 days now)

3) Also I know Fidelity Visa 1.5/2% and Amex 2% are good options.. does the "cash management account" I have to open with Fidelity as part of the cash back process allow me to get a no-fee ATM card, or is that something else?

4) I see Cap One pulls from all three bureaus... strike against them?

5) Should I attempt to get both cards at once?! All 3 at once (One of the Fidelity cards)?

Thanks in advance wise sages of Saverocity!
1. It really depends on your capacity for credit - the Arrival Plus and the Venture Rewards are both great cards, and mainly because of their signup bonus. As such, getting both is certainly a good move, should you be able to handle it.

2. I don't know, I just tend to stick with paying off in full every month, and putting in an interim payment between those scheduled amounts should the credit utilization be high.

3. Fidelity is good, I personally use it. I actually send to Brokerage and invest the money, but if you want a CMA you can get one and it does indeed have the ATM/Debit card with no fee access: https://www.fidelity.com/cash-management/atm-debit-card

4. Yes it is a strike against them, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't get a card from them.

5. Yes, I would go for all 3 at once, providing you haven't had any apps in the past 3 months (longer ideally).

• If you want to apply for the Venture Card or the Arrival Card I have them both here Travel Credit Card Offers
  • Another card to consider for CB is the Citi DoubleCash, which can be found in Cash Back Offers
Note the two links are affiliates of mine, they pay the site revenue. We use this revenue to fund Charities, 100% of the income goes to them, with zero admin costs.

Unifer

Level 2 Member
Wow, thanks for the thorough reply! I recently moved to NYC and sadly have one hard inquiry in the past six months (late Sept) from the apartment app. Nothing beyond.

dlin

Level 2 Member
you can look into using pre-tax dollars to pay for your unlimited metrocard. my employer uses wageworks.

Panache

Level 2 Member
Hi Saverocity wise folk!

I started the hobby 3 months ago with a Chase United MP card. With miles I had in the United account, I booked economy flights to Düsseldorf and Vienna for me and SWMBO in May 2015 few weeks ago!

We typically take 2 vacations per year, around Xmas to some tropical location within easy reach of the east coast (Central America/N. South America/Caribbean) and a longer long haul flight trip to Europe/wherever else a long flight is needed in late May/early June to avoid the high season rush. If time permits, throw in a long weekend domestic 1x-2x/year. Unfortunately I work as a college prof. so I can only travel during high-demand times, save for mid-late May when colleges let out but high schools continue until June.

We live in the Harrisonburg, VA area but typically fly out of Washington airports for international trips (2.5 hr drive) as regional airports can be a PITA-- terrible connections and flights canceled regularly for all sorts of dumb reasons.

With high spending bonus on the Chase MP card + travel to conferences next year paid by job and miles SWMBO has on United, we should be able to do the winter 2015 vacation in economy saver award.

I'd like the 2016 long haul flight to be to SE Asia or Australia, hopefully in some kind of premium cabin. Asia looks tempting as AA does only need 110 K miles RT and you can sign up for the Citi AA and US Air cards now for a 90 K mile signup. All bloggers rave about Cathay SE Asia (is this warranted?)

What would be a good AOR strategy for the next year to have a good bank of miles for summer 2016 (maybe long haul to Africa/Australia in biz class?) and beyond?

I was thinking for an AOR in the next few days and beyond:

I'd be grateful for any comments/insights into the strategy. Or, if you think it may be worth holding off on some or other special cards out there that the blogger guys do not mention.

November 2014

Citi AA Platinum
US Airways
Club Carlson (for forthcoming trip to Europe 2015)
Amex Gold (or wait until a 100 K signup comes along?)
IHG (for forthcoming trip to Europe in 2015)

Feb/March 2015

Citi AA Platinum Business (if 50 K signup still around?)
Chase SP (or wait until another 70 K signup comes later?)
Chase Freedom (or wait on this one?)

June 2015 and beyond

SPG Amex (seems the 30 K offers are usually around mid-year)

Lufthansa Miles & More when 50 K signup comes (for trips to Central/South Am.)

Avianca LifeMiles if 40 K signup (for trips to Central/South Am. & cheap mile purchases every so often (is that true?))
Barclaycard Arrival (although I don't quite get the point of this card other than the signup or buying miles when on sale or for large scale MSing but correct me, please!)

Cancel UA Chase card mid-summer before AF hits.

Thanks much in advance!

Last edited:

Abbazappaplant

Paranoid MS'er :)
have you looked at creditpulls board to see where each agency is pulling from in your area?
I would try to apply for the Club Carlson first and make it the business card, not personal. Then apply for USairways and then the rest. The business card can be utilized to keep your utilization low on your personal cards when the next round of applications comes up.

Are you and your SO doing all the same apps? That can go a long way to stock piling points.

there are a lot of caveats to this game and quite a few things can change between now and your next round of applications. Keep yourself informed on the happenings and you won't need much advice for your next round as you'll have been able to read and get all the knowledge you need between now and then.

Panache

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the tips! Yes, we're both applying, for the most part save biz cards.

I went ahead and applied for US Air, Citi AA and Carlson (in that order) I had already frozen IDA/ARS reports a few days ago. I got approved on all, SO got pending on Citi but will call recon line in the next few days. I wonder if I should still do IHG or save the credit lines for airline cards? It seems everyone likes IHG but other than their Intercontinental brand, other hotels are kind of vanilla + talk about account shutdowns for stacking untargeted promo codes seems a bit intimidating. We usually like to stay in independently run Inns/B&B's/guest houses.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
The Freedom bump to 20k happens once in awhile, now is one of those times. So I'd do that before IHG. But IHG is a good card IMO it's in my next group. I wouldn't worry about the Avianca card, unless you know some tricks that haven't died. Their normal pricing is not worth it, unless you live out of the US and have to buy miles. The Barclay's US card was a good call, although their is rumor of a better December offer. If it pops up, try to send an email/message to them and ask to be matched. I don't know if they do that. Citi AA, if you got the Plat, that is good also since it gives you the miles rebate. And if you do it first, you can still do an Exec later. If you did Exec now, can't get Plat for another 2 years (ish) is current thinking. (But you can get more Execs possibly, depending on some recent denials.)

However. Don't push yourself and get balances or struggle to meet the spend requirements. So if the three you just did are enough for now, since you're kind of new to this, there is plenty of time before your trips. Some offers might disappear before you get them, but others will pop up. So take my first paragraph with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Panache

Level 2 Member
Good to know! I'll keep the Freedom in mind, need to get a Target Redbird so I can MS a bit better. The frequent trips to WM are annoying and I don't like holding/floating a lot in GCs.

It seems a deal pops up every month or two so I'm trying to worry less. If the Freedom is still around with the bonus in a few weeks I'll go ahead, the forthcoming 5x in grocery stores is tempting!

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
I'm looking to sign up for a new card, any thoughts? I was using the OBC but haven't done anymore MS on that card.

Chase Ink Visa
Chase Sapphire Visa (will cancel soon)
Discover
FIA Fidelity Amex, Mastercard and Visa (want to get MC/V line moved to BOA TR)
Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa
Penfed Cash Rewards Visa
Wells Fargo Card (was 5x one, may cancel)
Suntrust Delta Debit (not cc but included it).

Ja350z

Level 2 Member
Depends what you're looking for out of it...I've heard good things about the Barclays Arrival + , that ones in my next app cycle.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking to sign up for a new card, any thoughts? I was using the OBC but haven't done anymore MS on that card.

Chase Ink Visa
Chase Sapphire Visa (will cancel soon)
Discover
FIA Fidelity Amex, Mastercard and Visa (want to get MC/V line moved to BOA TR)
Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa
Penfed Cash Rewards Visa
Wells Fargo Card (was 5x one, may cancel)
Suntrust Delta Debit (not cc but included it).
You need a goal.

thoughts1053

Level 2 Member
I recently got an email offer for 75k MR for the Business Gold Reward Points (expires in 2 days). I'm just wondering if I should apply for that or the US Airways card with the increased sign up bonus of 50k miles? I don't have specific goals in mind as I have all of next year's trips planned already. I'm just looking to add to my points. I currently have 4 pulls on my credit report since August and a score of 785 according to CreditKarma.

Currently the cards I have are:
Chase Ink Plus
CSP
Chase Hyatt
Amex PRG
Amex Old Blue
Club Carlson Visa

The points/miles I have are:
AA: 174k
SPG: 35k
MR: 83k
UR: 120k

Is one more valuable than the other? Should I just go for both or even a different card?

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
In my opinion, the US airways card should be added to anyone's plans in the near future. It's a no-spend card, so it's basically $90 for 50k miles. If you haven't had one of these cards, it's fairly easy to get, and it's off your list so I'm assuming you never had one. If you had many apps in the past few months though, Barclay's is a bit touchy. Do the US app first if you're doing several in a short time period. US has some sweet spots for now for the miles, or wait and let them convert to AA miles whenever that happens.

Amex MR points are more valuable simply from being variable, but it's a little bit of a higher spend card. I decided to leave the 75k on the table in my next few apps. If you value points over cash, some people would just go for the biz plat and the extra 25k points if hitting spend is no problem. But if you value cash the waived annual fee on PRG makes it a great option for a few less points. Remember though, although this is very high for PRG, the 100k plat has been available pretty often, so letting a targeted offer go might not be that big a loss.

So I'd do at least US, and maybe both, depending on spend ability. Seeing as you don't list Citi at all, I might skip Amex for now and go with a Citi card or BofA card.

thoughts1053

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the reply Maverick17. You made great points regarding the two cards. I definitely don't value points enough to go for the biz plat over the PRG though.

I actually forgot to add that I have a Citi AA card and BOA Travel Rewards (from a long time ago).

I actually do need to book a few nights at a hotel next April. Assuming I'm going to go for the US Airways card first, any other recommendations regarding other cards?

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I actually do need to book a few nights at a hotel next April. Assuming I'm going to go for the US Airways card first, any other recommendations regarding other cards?
For hotels there are many options. There are points cards, and free nights cards. I'd start with the US Bank Club Carlson card since they are harder to get after you've had lots of apps on your record. You get buy one get one free on redemptions if you have the card, and a nice anniversary bonus. So I'd go for it first. Other than that for hotels, I like the Hilton 50k offer from Citi, even though Hilton has devalued, just cuz it is so easy and you can get so many of the card. I stay in 10k point Hilton hotels a lot, so I get great value still out of the card. Hyatt two free nights is nice, but make sure you have a plan to use them as they only last about 13 months. Then the card gives you an anniversary night as well, so I've kept that card. IHG, Marriott, and other Hilton cards are also an option. Kind of depends on what you prefer, where you're going, and what your plan is. Hopefully a few others will chime in soon so you get more than my opinion.

thoughts1053

Level 2 Member
Thanks again, Maverick17. I already have the Club Carlson and Hyatt. I applied for the Club Carlson on 8/4/14. Do you think that's enough time to now apply for the business version? My wife also applied but was denied. Should I wait a little longer before trying again for her?

For my trip in April, I'm using 4 free nights via Hyatt at the Paris-Vendome. I still need a few nights in Rome and then a city somewhere in between Rome and Paris (maybe Florence).

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Oh geez. I gave general advice and you already have those two cards. Sorry I didn't go back and read what cards you have again before I posted. I'm not a Europe guy, so I'm not much help there. The one thing I've read a number of times though is that Choice hotels have some great Italy and Europe options. I actually don't even know if they have a credit card, but you can buy points sometimes.

But I got my Carlson Biz card about 8 months after my personal one. I got them both on first attempt so I haven't followed the news on applying for them. Although FT isn't as nice as here, they have more data points, so maybe the Carlson thread there would give you some good ideas on best practices for applying.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Thanks again, Maverick17. I already have the Club Carlson and Hyatt. I applied for the Club Carlson on 8/4/14. Do you think that's enough time to now apply for the business version? My wife also applied but was denied. Should I wait a little longer before trying again for her?

For my trip in April, I'm using 4 free nights via Hyatt at the Paris-Vendome. I still need a few nights in Rome and then a city somewhere in between Rome and Paris (maybe Florence).
If you're going to apply for the CC business I would wait 6 months total. That's what I did. I would also freeze my IDA and (the other weird bureau they use) reports. I didn't freeze my first CC application and it got denied. After freezing it sailed right through.

grebel

Level 2 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm working on planning a trip to Argentina in mid June. Between my wife and I we've got $159k MR points pending, which I'm hoping to use on flights.

I'm thinking I probably need a hotel card to pick up some points for stays. Any advice or obvious holes in my plan? Our schedule in Argentina is pretty loose right now, but we're planning to spend a few days in Buenos Aires and then travel a bit.

Here are my current cards:

Me:
Biz PRG
Everyday
Discover IT
Cap 1 Quicksilver
Chase Freedom
Barclays Arrival Plus

DW:
Personal PRG
Chase Freedom
Discover IT

Thanks for the advice!

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
Yes, you are very very late to the party. Book your flights NOW. 160k is not very much for two ticket to South America. You will need between 50-80K per person in Y for the tickets. The only real options for you are BA and DL. Depending on your starting point, BA wants 59K and DL wants 60K. I doubt you will get any saver availability based on what DL did last week. So my suggestion is to look for flights this morning. Don't worry about anything else.

You may have another option with UA via ANA, but short of that you have only a few options. Normally I would advise to book summer award travel in August the previous year.

smittytabb

Staff member
Hi everyone,

I'm working on planning a trip to Argentina in mid June. Between my wife and I we've got $159k MR points pending, which I'm hoping to use on flights.

I'm thinking I probably need a hotel card to pick up some points for stays. Any advice or obvious holes in my plan? Our schedule in Argentina is pretty loose right now, but we're planning to spend a few days in Buenos Aires and then travel a bit.

Here are my current cards:

Me:
Biz PRG
Everyday
Discover IT
Cap 1 Quicksilver
Chase Freedom
Barclays Arrival Plus

DW:
Personal PRG
Chase Freedom
Discover IT

Thanks for the advice!
There is a nice Park Hyatt in BsAs. Get the Hyatt card for each of you for four free nights. There is also one in Mendoza, a city I highly recommend. Great Andes views and wonderful wine country as well.