Which card is right for me? / AOR help

KennyBSAT

Staff member
One of the most common newbie questions in this game is 'Which card is best for me?' Of course bloggers who make a living off of affiliate link income will be happy to provide a list of cards that will pay them, which may be completely wrong for the newbie who knows no different. The correct answer is always 'What do you want?'

So be very specific: share exactly what you are trying to do, from where (very important) and on what approximate time frame. Dream big. Cashback is great too. Ask away, and read answers to others' questions, as they can be very helpful.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
I just received the IHG mastercard. Coupled with the purchase of Ambassador status and 60,000 miles, $0 annual fee, free Platinum Status, free night certificate and 10% redemption discount, it makes it a pretty cool card if you actually plan on staying at 1-2 IHG hotels per night. Plus you can BRG the crap out of IHG

KennyBSAT

Staff member
I just received the IHG mastercard. Coupled with the purchase of Ambassador status and 60,000 miles...
Try sending Chase a message to the tune of 'I applied for this offer but then found out there is an 80K offer. Can you match this in my account?' Probably good for 20K more free points.

misterbwong

Level 2 Member
Been eyeing the IHG card myself. IHG CC free night + b1g1 weekend night with ambassador + the 80k points seems like a great deal for a few nights at an upscale IC.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Try sending Chase a message to the tune of 'I applied for this offer but then found out there is an 80K offer. Can you match this in my account?' Probably good for 20K more free points.
Kenny, that is the sort of thing that is great to see - thanks for both starting this thread and also sharing that advice!

scw

Level 2 Member
I think I've heard in the past if you call in within 30 days of a bonus being bumped often chase will honor the higher one. Never done this myself and the # of days might be slightly off, but I second this advice. Can't hurt in this case to try once (or even twice if the first agent says no can do).
Scott

zsnyde

Level 2 Member
I SM messaged chase several times to receive the higher point offer and they have always given it to me. Best was back when sapphire card went up to 100k and got them to match when i signed up for the 50k offer.

ninjasurfer99

Level 2 Member
The other nice thing about IHG is the amount of promo codes you can use. This site makes it easy to enter them all in but my wife and I received 20k points in total after our first 70 dollar stay > http://travel.bart.la/2014/01/03/ihg-rewards-club-2014-promo-codes-bonus-points/

As a "newb" myself I don't see people talking about the Carlson card enough but for my wife and I it's been one of our favorite cards so far. You'll have 100k points after spending 3k in 3 months. That's enough for 22 nights when using the BOGO perk that comes along with having the card. Since my wife and I both have the card we can stretch the award night forever. And 5 points for every purchase is pretty awesome.

DiscGolfFlyer

Level 2 Member
I like the nice hotels in IHG but I really love the Club Carlson US Bank cards because of the huge signup bonuses, them not being the banks that get churned as often, the fact that the cards give you Elite Platinum status, and the ability to get your last night free on bookings of two nights and more. I very often plan days around getting the most out of these Club Carlson hotels by staying 2 nights at one hotel and then moving to another etc. Terrific deals to be had with these cards especially in Europe.

BoonDR

Level 2 Member
The other nice thing about IHG is the amount of promo codes you can use. This site makes it easy to enter them all in but my wife and I received 20k points in total after our first 70 dollar stay > http://travel.bart.la/2014/01/03/ihg-rewards-club-2014-promo-codes-bonus-points/

As a "newb" myself I don't see people talking about the Carlson card enough but for my wife and I it's been one of our favorite cards so far. You'll have 100k points after spending 3k in 3 months. That's enough for 22 nights when using the BOGO perk that comes along with having the card. Since my wife and I both have the card we can stretch the award night forever. And 5 points for every purchase is pretty awesome.
The IHG promo codes are wonderful. I had a night last month that cost me $82, I earned ~32,000 points via various bonuses.

Personally I think hotel cards should be maximized. When used for vacations, hotels can exceed the costs (points or money), of the flights. a good stable of hotel cards can make it a lot more economical.

Last edited:

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
Kenny, thanks for starting this thread, great idea! And another plug here for working IHG promo codes, I got ~25K points last time I paid for a room.

Question: does Ambassador status have any benefits at non-Intercontinental IHG hotels?

BoonDR

Level 2 Member
Kenny, thanks for starting this thread, great idea! And another plug here for working IHG promo codes, I got ~25K points last time I paid for a room.

Question: does Ambassador status have any benefits at non-Intercontinental IHG hotels?
Ambassador=Platinum outside that not that I know of.

uwdanman

Level 2 Member
Alright, I'm looking to increase my options for earning points by opening 2-3 more credit cards. I currently have the Chase Freedom/Sapphire combo. I'm looking at opening a Chase Ink Bold (or Plus) for the current upped sign up bonus and 5x office supply (plan to purchase Visa GCs to use Evolve to pay off the remainder of my auto loan). I'm looking at getting into American Express Membership Rewards and would think the Amex Fidelity for every day spending. I'd also like to get a card with increased bonus for grocery stores. One question would be if there are any Mastercards with bonus grocery store spending. With my linked FRN card, I could see saving on quite a bit on gas with Visa GC purchases.

So, I'm looking at Chase Bold for 5x and Amex (Fidelity or Everyday or Old Blue), or anything else to fill out the wallet as you would recommend.

Naina

Level 2 Member
If you're looking for MR and a grocery bonus, I'd suggest the Amex Everyday Preferred Card. 3x at grocery stores (up to 6k /year) plus a 50% bonus when you make 30 or more transactions in a month. So if you use that card for your everyday spend, you're looking at 4.5x at grocery stores, 3x on gas and 1.5x on everything else.

Naina

Level 2 Member
Alright, I'm looking to increase my options for earning points by opening 2-3 more credit cards. I currently have the Chase Freedom/Sapphire combo. I'm looking at opening a Chase Ink Bold (or Plus) for the current upped sign up bonus and 5x office supply (plan to purchase Visa GCs to use Evolve to pay off the remainder of my auto loan). I'm looking at getting into American Express Membership Rewards and would think the Amex Fidelity for every day spending. I'd also like to get a card with increased bonus for grocery stores. One question would be if there are any Mastercards with bonus grocery store spending. With my linked FRN card, I could see saving on quite a bit on gas with Visa GC purchases.

So, I'm looking at Chase Bold for 5x and Amex (Fidelity or Everyday or Old Blue), or anything else to fill out the wallet as you would recommend.
Wait, ignore that if you want a mastercard for grocery stores..

Haley

I am not a robot
What is your grocery spend?
I have three kids, the $6,000 yearly cap on the Everyday made me laugh. I'd love it if I stayed under $500 a month! We spend closer to twice that (my kids are teens and a twenty something and we have their friends around most of the time, I'm pretty much feeding an army). I also like to throw a $500 VGC in with my twice a week grocery trips, so the Old Blue Cash beats anything else for me. Not a MC though.

Miles & More, or US Air are both Master Cards. Isn't the Barclay Arrival a MC too?

About Chase bump to higher offer, I've gotten it after closer to 100 days in the past. This time it was not that long, maybe 45 days. I'd already hit the spend and had the 50k points post. The extra 10k showed up within minutes of my message asking if I might be matched, please.

Mike

Silver Member
Isn't there an Amex old Blue card that offers 5X CB unlimited on Groceries (after 6.5K in spend)? I believe I have such a card and if I'm allowed I'll post a link.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't there an Amex old Blue card that offers 5X CB unlimited on Groceries (after 6.5K in spend)? I believe I have such a card and if I'm allowed I'll post a link.
Why wouldn't you be allowed? Serious question to address honestly in tandem with considering it rhetorical and posting it.

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
I think I've heard in the past if you call in within 30 days of a bonus being bumped often chase will honor the higher one. Never done this myself and the # of days might be slightly off, but I second this advice. Can't hurt in this case to try once (or even twice if the first agent says no can do).
Scott
I had applied for the Chase Bold (50000 point sign-up bonus) one week before they started offering the 60,000 mile bonus. I sent a SM to Chase asking if they would match me to the higher offer, and they agreed to do so.

Mike

Silver Member
Why wouldn't you be allowed? Serious question to address honestly in tandem with considering it rhetorical and posting it.
I'm sorry but I do not understand your comment, do you mind explaining?

Mike

Silver Member
Here's the link, you may need to open it incognito.

MarkyMark

Level 2 Member
Chase has the excellent reputation of matching their own better offers within 30-90 days or honoring any legitimate offer they can find in their database. I always call to make it more personal. Just be polite, use their name thruout the conversation, thank them for helping and always say its fine if they have to place you on hold.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Is there really an 80k offer in case they ask where you've seen it?

KennyBSAT

Staff member
Is there really an 80k offer in case they ask where you've seen it?
There was an 80K offer very recently, and there are continuing reports of 80K targeted offer. Just SM, the worst that can happen is they say no. Note that I said "found out about" or "learned of" not "saw". That fact you heard of it here from some random stranger on the internet is beside the point ;)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry but I do not understand your comment, do you mind explaining?
I wanted to know why you might think you weren't allowed. And I also wanted you to post it but still answer the question - make sense? :)

Mike

Silver Member
I wanted to know why you might think you weren't allowed. And I also wanted you to post it but still answer the question - make sense? :)
Yes it makes sense, I'm just not sure what type of links you allow posted as I didn't read all the rules!