What's your strategy if you've gotten all the top cards?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Delta's partnerships make for good business class availability (and at saver rates) to the UK (via Virgin Atlantic) and China (via China Airlines or China Eastern), for a couple of examples I've recently been searching. It really depends where you're going, and whether other Skyteam/partner carriers with decent availability fly there, because Delta's own availability is questionable at best and they're usually charging a ridiculous number of points. Although I have actually seen a fair number of saver-level flights to London on Delta metal... They may not have availability where you're looking to go, which makes them not good for you, but there are still some gems in their award chart and availability, especially as you find yourself more and more limited on what cards you can apply for.
Skycurrency can be great for international IF you live in a hub. Otherwise you're likely looking at a sharp increase in miles required for a trip, since as you say domestic saver Y is abysmal. Also, IIRC there are hundreds of $$ in YQ if flying their Chinese partners.

OK216

Int'l Disney Park Visitor & WrestleMania Traveler
Skycurrency can be great for international IF you live in a hub. Otherwise you're likely looking at a sharp increase in miles required for a trip, since as you say domestic saver Y is abysmal. Also, IIRC there are hundreds of $$ in YQ if flying their Chinese partners.
I'm in Orlando, so not a hub for anything helpful, but I find decent availability with a connection. Really seems to just depend on your specific situation, though. It does run about $200 per person in each direction direction in fees on Chinese partners, but while not ideal, it's not as outrageous as BA to LHR, for instance. Wouldn't be my first choice for that reason, but it's not out of the question if other options aren't great. I'd pay 200 bucks for a lie flat if the alternative was $5 for an angle flat seat.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
It's fine. We really don't have the ability to take advantage of anything VA, without a staging flight: they don't fly into or out of MSP.

And Asia, while maybe on the horizon in five years, isn't there now, as Husband doesn't have the luxury of using great chunks of vacation time at once, given his position. For now, most of the DL partners are ones that we're better off having their own cards, and miles, than the pittances from DL.

jmorgans

Level 2 Member
Look at some of the less hyped cards such as Wells Fargo Propel World. Also look at opportunities to upgrade your cards for a bonus (Amex cards in particular).

Barbecue Ribs

Me, already started hitting second tier cards that aren't chase, citi or Amex. Just got approved for Lufthansa miles and more. Maybe get to Wells Fargo after that.

YoungBubbie

Level 2 Member
Sorry if wrong place to post, but does anyone know how soon I can apply for a card after closing? I want to close my Chase Marriott and open a new Marriott card with that 87,500 bonus. I have no problem with that 5/24 rule.
Thanks for any advice and guidance.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Sorry if wrong place to post, but does anyone know how soon I can apply for a card after closing? I want to close my Chase Marriott and open a new Marriott card with that 87,500 bonus. I have no problem with that 5/24 rule.
Thanks for any advice and guidance.
Chase is generally 24 month from when you last received the bonus (Date the bonus actually hit your account).

coralsnake

I've been doing this since 2007 and keep finding new opportunities. There's constantly new cards to apply for, old ones to churn, and cards with extremely lucrative category bonuses to think of (ala Chase Ink).

RollPlayer

Level 2 Member
I have gotten most of the "major" cards within the past few years. Now my strategy has shifted a bit. I usually just chase the large bonuses now when they come around, rather than applying for the smaller cards out there. In the meantime, MS or reselling still keep points coming in, and my credit score rebounds while inquiries fall off and there are fewer new accounts.

This seems to have worked, because in the past I was ineligible for some of the best bonuses like the Plat 100k last year due to having too many recent inquiries or new accounts. Now, when the new bonus was active for a day or so last month I was able to jump on it and get instantly approved. This seems like the way to go for me.

JakeFromStateFarm

Points Junkie
First of all, I agree with all of the previous posts stating that there are plenty of cc options available from banks of all sizes. If you haven't already done so, check out DoC for info.

Second, if you are married, you can have your spouse start applying for all of those same cards under their name. That's a great way to time applications on alternating year to avoid AFs and double up on bonuses.

Barbecue Ribs

Jake - totally agree - wife and I will alternate between Ameriprise Amex Plat to get all the benes. Definitely gotta maximize with your sig. other!