What's your strategy if you've gotten all the top cards?

dlin

Level 2 Member
I haven't been in the game that long, but I've managed to apply for all the top cards. I've exhausted AMEX's once a lifetime bonus for all personal cards and I can't mess with Chase new rules.

Once people hit this point, is the focus mostly on MS or is there another AoR strategy I'm missing?

I'm currently slowly churning BofA's Alaska/Virgin Atlantic cards and the Citi AA card. Barclays doesn't have anything that interest me.

Is it possible to go back and forth each year on Amex's Small Business Platinum and Gold cards and receive the sign up bonus?

Rick351714

Level 2 Member
You can receive multiple AMEX bonuses on business cards, not personal. So yes you could in theory do that. I have never been rejected from an AMEX card before, I bet it would be fine.

SOC 787

Flight Club
I'd be interested in knowing what steps to take next as well once you've app'd as much as you can and strip-mined the best bonuses. whats left?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
There's a lot of 40k options out there beyond the big banks, but I'm not looking for them yet, I've been playing from about 2009-2010 when getting credit in the US.

Trevor B

Level 2 Member
I haven't been in the game that long, but I've managed to apply for all the top cards. I've exhausted AMEX's once a lifetime bonus for all personal cards and I can't mess with Chase new rules.

Once people hit this point, is the focus mostly on MS or is there another AoR strategy I'm missing?

I'm currently slowly churning BofA's Alaska/Virgin Atlantic cards and the Citi AA card. Barclays doesn't have anything that interest me.

Is it possible to go back and forth each year on Amex's Small Business Platinum and Gold cards and receive the sign up bonus?
What about other options with Citi? Prestige, TYP, etc.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I am going to reject the premise that you have run out of cards to apply for. I've gotten about 55 cards in the last 3 years, and I'm not even close to running out of options yet. Chase cards are widely churnable after 24 months other than the 3 or so Chase-brand cards that are subject to the 5/24 rule. Citi AA cards are semi-churnable again. Barclay is churnable. BOA is churnable. Amex biz is churnable after 12 months. etc.

There might be cards you don't want, but if you aren't picky I can't imagine running out of options.

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
I agree with @italdesign. I always have a list going and I never run out of ideas and angles for cards. You don't want to know how many I have open now and how many more I covet:)

sungchiahao

Level 2 Member
For those who have lots of cards, I would like some help and direction for my next cards.
  1. FICO 790
  2. Premier Rewards Gold AmEx 4/19/2015
    Sapphire Preferred Chase 4/21/2015
    Alaska Airlines BoA 5/15/2015 - closed
    Alaska Airlines BoA 5/15/2015 - PC to BoA Cash
    Citi ThankYou® Premier Card. Citi 5/29/2015
    Citi AAdvantage Platinum Citi - upgraded to WE 7/21/2015
    Amex SPG Personal AmEx 9/5/2015
    Citi AAdvantage Platinum Citi 10/22/2015

3. Immediate uses: Going to a trip in Taiwan Aug 2016, I got the airfare covered with AA (before the massive F deval) and AS, not sure what to do with hotels. I only see IHG and SPG chains on award mapper. Maybe I should search the individual Motels/Hostels there. I have the Amex AirBnB offer, but the price seems high on AirBnB.

4. I've been avoiding the high AF cards because I'm not confident in my MS ability to make up the fees. All most all my cards have 1st year AF waived, and I plan to close or PC change unless I can get a AF statement credit next year.

dlin

Level 2 Member
For those who have lots of cards, I would like some help and direction for my next cards. Immediate uses: Going to a trip in Taiwan Aug 2016, I got the airfare covered with AA (before the massive F deval) and AS, not sure what to do with hotels. I only see IHG and SPG chains on award mapper. Maybe I should search the individual Motels/Hostels there. I have the Amex AirBnB offer, but the price seems high on AirBnB.
there's a category 4 grand hyatt in taipei

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I only see IHG and SPG chains on award mapper. Maybe I should search the individual Motels/Hostels there.
Yes you should. Award Mapper's list is far from complete. Same for Hotel Hustle (Wandering Aramean's tool). There's no reliable substitute (that I know of) for checking every chain's website individually.

That said, hotels in SE Asia can be extremely cheap. Not sure about Taiwan specifically, but if you don't find good use of hotel points, consider booking cheap rooms and erasing with a CB card like BA+.

gmenrule

Level 2 Member
If you have all the top cards within the 5/24 and 18 mo rules its a great time to figure out what can be culled and what you need for the next adventure and what financial needs and goals make sense. I do think it helps to get rid of certain chase, Citi BOA & Barclay cards to re app opportunistically....its a waiting game

kellybme

Level 2 Member
TIN is your tax identification number. It's what the IRS uses to identify you. Your Social security number and EIN Employer Identification number are both TINs. Businesses are identified by the IRS with an EIN.

PillanSmye

Level 2 Member
TIN is your tax identification number. It's what the IRS uses to identify you. Your Social security number and EIN Employer Identification number are both TINs. Businesses are identified by the IRS with an EIN.
Yes, I always associate an EIN with employees or other withholding, or an LLC that chooses to be taxed as an S or a C.

I know SP's and LLC's that are treated as disregarded entities that have had to get separate TIN's to do business with non-profits. I guess these are technically EIN's as well.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
At first I ignored this thread for the most part. I mean, I read the first few posts and peeked in from time to time, but the question didn't seem right. My answer (in my head, at least) was simple ... you get all of the previous cards again! That's worked well for me up until now, but things are changing a bit, yes?

Long before I was serious and read forums like this, I had a small Chase UA churn system in place. Every 2 years, when a previous Chase card would drop off my "permanent record" (it was no longer available to display online), I'd get a new one. Low risk and it worked. I did this once with the Priority Club/IHG and Marriott card too. This seems to be dead now ... well, dead to me because of the 5/24 rules and its expansion.

I have a todo for 7/2016 to get the SPG Business card ... again. I'm now not so sure this will be possible, but I'll watch for my chance. I had other AMEX Biz card plans. These are probably on hold now.

Still have a machine running with Citi, but there seems to be trouble in paradise there. Half expecting my next turn to fail. We're in slow motion with the Alaska card machine, but that's still running. As I said, slowly.

I checked the Barclays card page this morning. They don't list all of their stuff under "All Cards" (no Hawaiian or Wyndham). I was looking at the Arrival+ terms which does say "new cardmembers only". Checking, I canceled my previous card mid 2015. I thought it had been longer ago than that. Has anyone had success getting a second Arrival+ card? Recently?? What about the base Arrival card @20k? Is that considered a different product? Barclays is of low interest to me; it's almost a case of looking for "something to do" with them :).

Why am I babbling so? Well, I've got a small CC todo list to tend to in the short term. #1 is to get my wife a Chase card before we can't. I've picked the Hyatt card based on the short set she already has. A couple of other cards are on her list, one because of a direct offer and another.

My list is ... well ... empty for now. I guess I've "gotten all of the top cards" and many of the avenues to get them again are not there or carry heavier risk than in the past.

But wait. My notion of "all" isn't inclusive. I've purposely ignored Delta and SW Airline cards. Of course the latter may still be problematic because they are Chase cards. Maybe there are others ... I need to expand my vision and see how usable previously-ignored vendors might be.

Long term plan was to shoot for the SW CP "in the future", picking a 1-2 year period where we could take full advantage of it. Currently we're traveling for fewer, bigger trips and to places SW doesn't go. I really haven't found a SW paid flight that worked for me, one where I couldn't find cheaper and shorter from another carrier. But "free" or nearly is always good. However, with the rule expansion, a CP probably isn't in my future either.

We've flown Delta once. It was recently via tickets I won in a work raffle; any RT domestic flight, we picked Portland. It was a good flight and no problems. I've always looked down on Delta's FF program, mostly from reading comments of others. Yet some folks like them, and while I understand the uncertainties of using Delta miles ... it couldn't hurt to have some, eh? Perhaps this is the ticket for me next (pun intended). I could use the same thought for SW ... it wouldn't hurt to have some miles. Unless they expire, which makes me sick (lost a few Airtran points and a certificate this way; found them hard to use).

I guess there was a question or 2 in there; good luck finding them! I guess I just had some pent-up pondering to get out. Thanks for listening.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
But wait. My notion of "all" isn't inclusive. I've purposely ignored Delta and SW Airline cards. Of course the latter may still be problematic because they are Chase cards. Maybe there are others ... I need to expand my vision and see how usable previously-ignored vendors might be.
Not to make a record-length rant longer, but I've also failed to become interested in Thank You points (although my CitiGold checking account somehow got me a few ... applied to a statement as a credit). I even have a note to myself in my Evernote CC plan doc "Is it time to look at these?". I did and I still passed. Perhaps this is still in my future, but for now these cards stay with the currently-ignored branch. What am I missing with TY points?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Since I hold the Citi Prestige card, I've redeemed them against AA flights (mostly for positioning) and for hops around Europe. Love, love, LOVE TY points!
Thanks. Redeeming for AA flights is what I, personally, am not interested in. I've got gobs of AA miles and the 1.5? 1.6? cpp cash value of these points isn't enough for me to get excited. And normally, the other carriers @HariOm mentioned would not be that interesting (I had to look them up to make sure I understood). However, Asia is in my next-couple-of-years future, so there may be an angle there for me.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I have a good number, but not gobs, of AA points. TYs are wonderful when a flight isn't that expensive in the first place, and the cost of redeeming miles VS TYPs tips in favor of the TYPs. Example: rt to Baltimore, when all the flights are going to be on small regional jets, anyway, so no opportunity for premium seating, etc.

Adding to, rather than subtracting from the AA miles pile is an extra benefit.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I have a good number, but not gobs, of AA points. TYs are wonderful when a flight isn't that expensive in the first place, and the cost of redeeming miles VS TYPs tips in favor of the TYPs. Example: rt to Baltimore, when all the flights are going to be on small regional jets, anyway, so no opportunity for premium seating, etc.

Adding to, rather than subtracting from the AA miles pile is an extra benefit.
Makes sense. I get it. And award flights are often unavailable or have terrible logistics, so being able to pick ANY paid flight can be a huge plus. However, paying cash for these and getting 2x (or better) as a return to use on another flight helps even the scales a bit. For me. The bonuses offered moves it back the other way ...

I think I'd rather chase TYP than SW points. Still on the fence with Delta, but I think I need to leave my prejudice behind and hedge my bets a bit better. I'm putting Delta on my second-string list.

I did find a list of TYP transfer partners. Not many I would use directly, but I'm not sure of all of the possible angles (there's a thread brewing elsewhere about someone booking AS flights with Korean miles). Ok, ok, I'll put one of these on my near-term plans. If Citi doesn't kill me for AA and CitiGold mischief first.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I wouldn't bother with Delta. I'm planning to see if I can product change from my Amex Delta to a MR card. The way they've gutted their award system makes it absolutely useless.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I personally find both DL and SW points very valuable. Not as valuable as AA, but just below that. DL has niche areas where it comes in very handy, and I love SW's flexibility (full refund any time). If nothing else, it's good for diversification, which has become more paramount in recent climate.

dlin

Level 2 Member
If you live in a DL hub, the miles are pretty useful for international travel. All the carriers have similar charts now and delta has better availability imo

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
My preference is to fly upfront internationally. No way am I earning, at a penny to a dollar spend, enough miles for a penny per penny redemption value, enough points for DL biz.

Even before this disastrous change, it was ridiculous. But AA is now 150k mile per RT in F. DL is north of 300k. I live in a DL hub.

And the available seats for international redemption suck, as well. Last fall, one way to VCE was MSP-JFK. 10 hour layover. JFK-VCE. At least if that 10 hours had been at AMS, the trains could have gotten me in and out of the city for a nice walk and some dinner.

Nope. DL is definitely off my go to list.

We do, however, make use of our SW CP for shorter flights.

OK216

Int'l Disney Park Visitor & WrestleMania Traveler
My preference is to fly upfront internationally. No way am I earning, at a penny to a dollar spend, enough miles for a penny per penny redemption value, enough points for DL biz.

Even before this disastrous change, it was ridiculous. But AA is now 150k mile per RT in F. DL is north of 300k. I live in a DL hub.

And the available seats for international redemption suck, as well. Last fall, one way to VCE was MSP-JFK. 10 hour layover. JFK-VCE. At least if that 10 hours had been at AMS, the trains could have gotten me in and out of the city for a nice walk and some dinner.

Nope. DL is definitely off my go to list.

We do, however, make use of our SW CP for shorter flights.
Delta's partnerships make for good business class availability (and at saver rates) to the UK (via Virgin Atlantic) and China (via China Airlines or China Eastern), for a couple of examples I've recently been searching. It really depends where you're going, and whether other Skyteam/partner carriers with decent availability fly there, because Delta's own availability is questionable at best and they're usually charging a ridiculous number of points. Although I have actually seen a fair number of saver-level flights to London on Delta metal... They may not have availability where you're looking to go, which makes them not good for you, but there are still some gems in their award chart and availability, especially as you find yourself more and more limited on what cards you can apply for.

OK216

Int'l Disney Park Visitor & WrestleMania Traveler
Oops, double post! Meant to edit my previous post...