Travel Withdrawal

tmount

Administrator

@Jeanne23 sounds like a confession at church: “forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been 20 days since my last flight.”

— Michael (@real_jetsetr) May 25, 2015
My name is Trevor, and I haven’t been on a plane in a month. Worse yet, I haven’t flown longhaul in nearly 3 months. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but that light is 3+ weeks away.

This past weekend, a holiday weekend here in the United States, was particularly tough. I had wanted to travel somewhere — Rio for the weekend (because, why not fly 8,000 miles for a 2 night trip to Brazil, right?), however my better half was going through a different problem. She’s encountering travel fatigue from her work travel commitments.

So here I am, Memorial Day was approaching. I’ve got tickets on hold for part of the trip, options a plenty for the way home, hotels that are on the bubble of palatable, but alas, I cancelled them all. There are some things more important than travel.

However, that said, I really want to get back on a plane. I just haven’t found the right fare. Ideally its a well-priced business class fare that helps in my pursuit of requalifying for Executive Platinum via Elite Qualifying Points (EQPs), or maybe its a quick day trip to Texas to catch up with some friends. But I can’t let this withdrawal force me to book a flight outside of my financial comfort zone, or burn points at rates that I would not normally do (e.g. booking an Anytime award), just for the sake of getting on a plane.

Its a tough balance to make, all of these different aspects. I might just have to wait for the trip we already have planned later this month. But it sure is tough, going this long without being on a plane.

How long do you go without a flight? and do you get the “wanna get on a plane” jeebees too?

Continue reading...