Southwest auto-checkin script

MarkD

Level 2 Member
I just used a Southwest auto-checkin script and it worked fairly well. There was a 'glitch' with checking in for both my wife and I at the same time, but I was able to recover quickly and get a decent seat.

I grabbed the script from here:

Code:
http://slickdeals.net/f/7372198-fully-working-greasemonkey-script-for-southwest-com-auto-check-in-as-of-11-16-2014
It uses TamperMonkey for the Chrome browser with a javascript file to setup a timer on the Southwest check in page here:

Code:
https://www.southwest.com/flight/retrieveCheckinDoc.html

Southwest3.JPG Southwest2.JPG

Installation Instructions for Google Chrome (Firefox may be similar???)

Go to chrome://extensions/ Click Get More Extensions
Search for TamperMonkey. Install the TamperMonkey add in for Chrome.

Once TamperMonkey is installed, click the icon in the browser upload_2015-6-7_16-32-33.pngand go to the Dashboard.

Select the new user script icon upload_2015-6-7_16-35-17.png. Cut-n-paste the contents of the Slickdeals file into this window overwriting anything in it.

You'll need to edit the javascript file and change all instances of HTTP to HTTPS.

Running the Script

Once the script is enabled on the Southwest check in page it should look like this:

Southwest1.JPG

You tell it the date and time you want to click the "Check In" button.

When the countdown timer hits 0:00:00 it will click the Check In button. Our boarding numbers were assigned at this time - although since it submitted both check in's at the same time - it showed the same boarding number on both Chrome tabs. Upon further checking, it showed my wife's name on both tabs as well. I navigated back to the Check In page for me and resubmitted the button. My wife was able to get A-40 and I got A-51.

Not bad.

I'm not sure how this would work unattended. I assume since the boarding number is assigned after the check in button is pressed that it is not necessary to complete the process by printing, e-mailing or texting your boarding pass to you.

Someone

Level 2 Member
With chrome you could do one incognito and the other regular Within a set of regular ( or incognito) windows your login session is shared, that's why you had to go log back in for yourself

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
Nice! I have a 5:30 a.m. flight coming up and I really didn't want to wake up at 5:30 a.m. the day before to check in.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
This would have been nice before my 6:00 am flight yesterday! I forgot and ended up not waking up until 8:30. Luckily, the plane wasn't overcrowded and/or a lot of people didn't check in. I still got A41.

tkky

Level 2 Member
I installed the script and am running it but when I try to click on set start time, nothing happens. Anyone have a fix? Tried Chrome and Firefox.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
This would have been nice before my 6:00 am flight yesterday! I forgot and ended up not waking up until 8:30. Luckily, the plane wasn't overcrowded and/or a lot of people didn't check in. I still got A41.
Sweet. I check in at T24 on the second and I often wind up with early/mid Bs.

A

all328

Nothing happens when I put the "Set Start Time" button on the CheckIn page. Any ideas? It had worked previously.

oopl

Silver Member
Do you have to set a delay for the script? For example if your flight is at 6:30am do you schedule the script to run at 6:30am or 6:31am?
Can the script handle the "you cannot check in yet" error and retry until successful?

thedrills

Level 2 Member
This is very interesting. I have a very hard time getting to a computer to do the check-in on some days of the week. This would help greatly. I do travel with kids but getting in A GROUP would definitely help

kodiak jack

Level 2 Member
How does one get the script to "run" on the southwest checkin page?

Here's my status:
I have TamperMonkey installed and enabled in Chrome.
I created a script using the above code (post 23).
The script is enabled.
I navigated to https://www.southwest.com/flight/retrieveCheckinDoc.html in the browser.

Then...
Nothing happens. The page looks just as it does when you go there without the script.

What must i do in order to get the checkin boxes to show up on the left side so i can tell it when to check in?

Thanks!

EDIT: for some further information, when i am on the page as described above, if i click the TamperMonkey extension icon that shows up to the right of the address bar in my browser, there's a line that says "No script is running" That line is just to the right of the line with the green checkbox that says "Enabled"

so, it seems as though my script is enabled but not running. If i go to the tampermonkey dashboard, i see the script listed there, and it has a green 1 by it, again indicating enabled, i believe.

MarkD

Level 2 Member
If I were you I would check your Chrome settings about allowing Javascript scripts to run.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Please do. I can't figure out whether it just doesn't work or if I'm tech challenged. Thx
Mine just worked but here are screen shots of my checkin page and the tapermonkey icon view owhen I'm on that page. See if anything on yours (other than checkin time) are different and see if matching mine fixes. If not, PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of my script.TaperMonkey.JPG Check in Script.JPG

There's also a newer version of the script that allows you to input your phone number so it can text you your boarding pass. It was originally updated by JR Hehnly, but I changed a few things to get it to work. Here is the link. If anyone tries it let me know if it works for you.

Jonathan.

Super Platinum Elite Member
So, I assume for these scripts to work, you have to have your computer on, and firefox (or your scripting browser) open when its time for the script to run. Is that right?

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
There's also a newer version of the script that allows you to input your phone number so it can text you your boarding pass. It was originally updated by JR Hehnly, but I changed a few things to get it to work. Here is the link. If anyone tries it let me know if it works for you.
When is the last time that you used this newer script?

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Well I got the newer script up and running now. It was really easy to setup! We'll see if it works in the morning. I still am going to wake up but just to make sure that it actually did it. Then I won't worry about it in the future.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Well I got the newer script up and running now. It was really easy to setup! We'll see if it works in the morning. I still am going to wake up but just to make sure that it actually did it. Then I won't worry about it in the future.
To avoid the early wake up, buy a refundable ticket where the checkin hasn't started to see if it works. After checkin, cancel dummy ticket.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
So, I assume for these scripts to work, you have to have your computer on, and firefox (or your scripting browser) open when its time for the script to run. Is that right?
Correct. The time trigger is the time of the machine the script is running on so adjust checkin time if flight is originating in a different time zone than the machine.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
To avoid the early wake up, buy a refundable ticket where the checkin hasn't started to see if it works. After checkin, cancel dummy ticket.
I wouldn't go through all of that test the script. I did a quick check of it going off immediately and it showed that I wasn't within the 24 hour period.

Nonetheless, the script worked as described! It sent a text to my phone with the mobile passes. I used Chrome with TamperMonkey. I did my reservation in regular Chrome and used incognito mode for my SO. Both worked as described. The only complaint I have with the script (minor) is that after it executes it stops on the screen after sending the phone number. I wanted to see it stop so I could see what numbers we got. I had to go reopen the page to see that.

Both of us got tickets in the mid As so I say that's good!

Last edited:

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Gotta remember this for a flight coming up in August. 7:45 departure, but that's right in the middle of my commute to work.

rhinodh

Level 2 Member
Well, it would've worked, except we're on an international itinerary and hadn't put our passport info in :rolleyes:

aco319sig

I'm A-List already, so all this does is give me a low A-List number. BUT that being said, the script noted by Trevor McClellan on Mar 28, 2016 in this thread worked beautifully. I got A-20, number 4 in line behind the A-List Preferred group.

Thanks for helping me find and apply this script!

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
I'm A-List already, so all this does is give me a low A-List number. BUT that being said, the script noted by Trevor McClellan on Mar 28, 2016 in this thread worked beautifully. I got A-20, number 4 in line behind the A-List Preferred group.
I'll use it on a BS fare to get A1 for the infinite legroom seat. Since there is only one seat like that, getting A1 via the script is important to me. Besides, in case things get weird, I always like getting the boarding pass "printed" as soon as possible.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Don't you have to pay for A1?

EDIT: Oh BS fare. Which seat has the infinite legroom?
On one side of the plane's exit rows (both on some planes) there is a row with only two seats. The window seat of the row behind that has no seat in front of it so the legroom is effectively infinite.

If I'm traveling with my wife on CP, I'll take the two seat row so that there is not a middle seat. I use the script to get her a low A so I don't have to hold the extra seat for long.

aco319sig

I'll use it on a BS fare to get A1 for the infinite legroom seat. Since there is only one seat like that, getting A1 via the script is important to me. Besides, in case things get weird, I always like getting the boarding pass "printed" as soon as possible.
Only 30,000 more points to A-List Preferred! Then I'll do the same trick!

Edit- apparently it doesn't work that way. A-List Preferred just automatically puts you at the front of the A-16 list. Business Select is the only ones that get 1-15.

On the plus side, using the script got me low enough on both flights to grab the only 1st Class seat on the plane, for both legs of this trip!

Last edited:

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Flight departs 8:15 am 8/25. Got the script running for 8:15am tomorrow (will be driving to work). Fingers crossed!