Options For Disney

We are such huge Disney fans, but haven't been back in over a year to Disneyland & I think it's been 2 years to WDW. We went so many times one year a couple of years ago that we bought annual passes (and we live in PA!). We stayed onsite at many hotels (Grand Floridian, Wilderness, Boardwalk, Animal Kingdom, Port Orleans), but also offsite including both Swan & Dolphin, plus Sheraton Vistana Villages, Marriott Harbor Lakes, and one of the other condo type timeshares (we got a GREAT deal using AA miles for that one). We are planning to go back in Fall 2015. I love all of these tips for discounts on tickets...that's what I need most of all! Thanks Haley and others:) And I also need to do my research on the new fastpass+ system.

Barb

Level 2 Member
Looks like you have to book a hotel with them. Fine print mentions "timeshare". Shudder. Those presentations are only for the steel-willed!

Haley

I am not a robot
Thank you! but I'm looking to only buy the Magic Kingdom park ticket for one day.
One day tickets are the most expensive kind.
Consider getting a no-expire multi day ticket if you will ge going back in the next few years.
Try here for discounts:
https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/?pid=w3bl1nksp3c14l

We are almost a year out from the last ticket price change. Rumor is that they are going to come out soon. Last year was pretty minor, which means this year might be a bigger increase.

Military members can get great prices.

Sometimes Orbitz can be a deal, when they discount 'activities'

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Haley - is their typically much warning on price changes or do the new prices just go live.

I am down to tickets (4-5 days Dis, 1-2 Universal), and I am watching ebates to see if I can get a decent portal payout spike. But I'd hate to hit a price increase while I wait for portal to go on sale.

KristyRPh

Haley - is their typically much warning on price changes or do the new prices just go live.

I am down to tickets (4-5 days Dis, 1-2 Universal), and I am watching ebates to see if I can get a decent portal payout spike. But I'd hate to hit a price increase while I wait for portal to go on sale.
I read on the disboards the price change goes in affect about 2 days after the announcement.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Thanks, I am lurking on their budget board, although it seems like I probably should be in the park board as their budget board is almost like a general savings board with a disney slant.

Haley

I am not a robot
1-2 days is typical.
Mapleleaf Tickets and Undercover Tourist will often have some supply of tickets at the old prices (and still discount them).

Last year's 20% ebates for tickets on Orbitz came out around Feb 18th.

Orbitz ticket prices are sometimes lower than full price. Sometimes it makes sense to buy a different ticket than the one you want. This is because you are able to 'bridge' WDW tickets. You can upgrade a ticket after you use it at least once and the amount due should be the difference between the full (gate) price of the ticket you have and the full (gate) price of the ticket you want. So you retain the discount. You do need to know how much you should be paying in case the Cast Member doesn't give you full credit for the tickets gate value. In that case just ask for a manager.

crapz1

Level 2 Member
@Haley Any tips for disney cruise vacations? So far it seems like buying Disney GC's is the best way to get discounts....
I funded my first Disney cruise last year for my family of 4 all on my Barclays Arrival card. It certainly took quite a bit of MS but a lot of it was helped by buying AGC through the Barclays Rewards portal. My calculations are that I ended up paying about a quarter of the $4400 that the cruise cost. I booked my 2nd cruise while onboard and put it on my Arrival card also. Since the Barclays portal no longer pays out for AGC, I've done most of the funding for this cruise with a combination of 5% with OBC, 5x with Ink, and also buying discounted target gift cards and then buying disney GCs at target with the 5% red card discount.

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
I funded my first Disney cruise last year for my family of 4 all on my Barclays Arrival card. It certainly took quite a bit of MS but a lot of it was helped by buying AGC through the Barclays Rewards portal. My calculations are that I ended up paying about a quarter of the $4400 that the cruise cost. I booked my 2nd cruise while onboard and put it on my Arrival card also. Since the Barclays portal no longer pays out for AGC, I've done most of the funding for this cruise with a combination of 5% with OBC, 5x with Ink, and also buying discounted target gift cards and then buying disney GCs at target with the 5% red card discount.
It also works to either buy discounted Target gift cards from a gift card site or buy the Target gift cards in store with your Redcard, then go online and purchase the $50.00 Disney gift cards. Shipping will be free and as long as you have your Target redcard registered, you'll get another $5.00 off the $100 plus, you've already saved the previous 5%.

Chum

Level 2 Member
It also works to either buy discounted Target gift cards from a gift card site or buy the Target gift cards in store with your Redcard, then go online and purchase the $50.00 Disney gift cards. Shipping will be free and as long as you have your Target redcard registered, you'll get another $5.00 off the $100 plus, you've already saved the previous 5%.
Can we get 5% discount on physical Disney gift card using a prepaid Redcard in store? So, buying $500 visa gift card with 5% card (like OBC), then load to Prepaid REdcard, then buying disney giftcard in store works too, right?

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
Can we get 5% discount on physical Disney gift card using a prepaid Redcard in store? So, buying $500 visa gift card with 5% card (like OBC), then load to Prepaid REdcard, then buying disney giftcard in store works too, right?
Doubtful. I have yet to see a $500 vgc in Target. I've only seen up to $100. You get the 5% off on entertainment cards: restaurants, etc...

KristyRPh

You will get your 5% discount in store if you use your Prepaid Redcard, so it's like getting almost 10% off, minus the fee for the prepaid Visa.

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
yeah that works

Doubtful. I have yet to see a $500 vgc in Target. I've only seen up to $100. You get the 5% off on entertainment cards: restaurants, etc...
They have $400 VGC's in Target but they don't qualify for the 5% with the redcard.

James from BNA

VR Jacket Guy
My wife took the kids to Disney twice in the last 3 weekends. Thanks to Haley's help we used Barclay Arrival pts to buy the park tickets from Undercovertourist.

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista is only 4000 pts/night for a 2 queen/bunk bed suite. This works well for budget family travel.

OP, rather than racking up spend on 1 card, I would open a couple of Starwood and Arrival cards. You'd have your lodging and park tickets taken care of with less effort.

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
5-day or 5-day park hopper for $50 more? Which do you guys suggest?

Edit: going for non-hopper, probably enough to see at each park for a first timer

Last edited:

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
5-day or 5-day park hopper for $50 more? Which do you guys suggest?

Edit: going for non-hopper, probably enough to see at each park for a first timer
If you have young kids, one park will be enough. There is plenty to do for a full day. Plus, you'll be there for 5 days, so you'll be able to go to all the parks anyway.

tjs198

Level 2 Member
Hi Haley, any tips for Aulani? I'm looking to visit Sept. 2014, but the prices are insane =( Not sure if it's worth staying or just do a day trip there. Any thoughts?Thanks!
Rent DVC points. there are a few companies, i've used dvcrequest.com before

swazzie

Level 2 Member
We are almost a year out from the last ticket price change. Rumor is that they are going to come out soon. Last year was pretty minor, which means this year might be a bigger increase.
And the price increases are official, starting tomorrow:

Code:
http://www.insidethemagic.net/headlines/disney-breaking-that-100-ticket-barrier-with-raise-on-all-us-disney-park-tickets/
The No-Expiration ticket option will also no longer be available.

Haley

I am not a robot
Phase out of no expire tickets is a huge loss, I'm going to invest in a few. They allow you to get those second fast pass sets 30 days out until you run out of days (I should check, they used to show up in mydisneyexperiance as 10 day tickets no matter how many days you had left if they were 10 day tickets to start with).

Edit: they fixed the bug where you could assign 10 days of FP on those tickets

Last edited:

jillbez

I am staying at the Swan so I got my cards in the mail already that are linked to my disney experience account? i am thinking of taking your advice and making another reservation and cancelling to get magic bands. can I create another my disney experience account for those magic bands and have two fast pass accounts?

In case people who have not been to Disney since the roll out of the new Fastpass+ system stop by this thread.

On-site guests with a linked ticket can reserve fast passes 60 days in advance of their check in date for their entire stay, but only a number of days equal to the number of days your linked ticket has. You can link any ticket including third party sellers. You need a My Disney Experience account to make your fast pass selections.

Off-site Guests can make selections 30 days in advance with a My Disney Experience account and linked tickets. You do not need Magicbands to use the system but if you want them you can purchase them for $12.95 each.

Another option for anyone that is staying off site but wants Magicbands is to book a room only reservation at least 31 days out at any Disney Resort for 1 night. As of right now Disney is giving all Resort guests a free Magicband, you can pick your color as long as it is more than 30 days before you arrive. They will ship them to you between 30-10 days before your reservation. You can cancel your reservation for a full refund as long as you are more than 5 days from arrival on a room only. You can also move your dates for no charge on any reservation, if need be in one phone call you can change your check in date and then cancel the reservation.

Is it ethical to book and cancel in order to get free bands? Your call. I actually make 'wishful thinking' bookings all the time, there is no way to get Disney to not send out the bands. I have tried.

If book/cancel is crossing the line for you, you could try to snag a one night campsite with a good code they can go for less than the cost to buy 4 bands. Although these sites are in high demand and have very limited availability, many Disney campers would tell you to please book and cancel instead.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
We are going to WDW in January. I'm planning it last minute, but it is what it is at this point...
Our dates are Jan 4-8. (or a smaller subset of those days). We are a family of four with a 7 and a 9 year old girl. I'm thinking that we will do the 5 day park hopper tickets from Undercover Tourist. Purchasing each one separately with an Amex that is sync'ed to the spend $150, get $30 back offer.
I'm looking at rooms and thinking of springing for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Standard rooms are ~$240/night. Savannah view rooms are $388. (These prices are from OTAs. The direct disney prices are higher and not as many room types are available.) Would I be crazy to spend the extra on the Savannah view? I think that the room rates are pretty decent that week and would welcome any other advice on places to stay on property. Our girls are into princesses, but not so much anymore that I feel like we should plan our vacation around that fact.
We are driving there from up north, so we will have a car with us.
I guess the two things I am most looking for is advice on where to stay (particularly whether staying at AK is worth it and then if upgrading to Savanna view is worth that), and what I can use Disney gift cards for. I have quite a few Target gift cards at the moment and could convert them to Disney cards using my RedCard online to save another 5%.
TIA for any and all advice!! I'm happy to clarify or add more information needed.

Haley

I am not a robot
Hi!
AKL is one of my favorites and is a great choice with a car. Tons of good activities at the Resort.

We like three views, depending on the trip:
We only do a savannah view if Club rooms are available. When a good room code is out they are under $100 more a night and just breakfast and a night cap makes that worth it for us. We also love the soups they serve during the pre-dinner service and I have been known to have the soup for dinner (or we go to dinner and split meals because the soup was so good we all had too much of it, either way it ends up a savings). All regular club rooms are well centered savannah rooms, best in the house. Beer and wine are out around 4 or 5 but you can ask earlier and they will get it for you. They will even get you a plastic cup to take it out to the pool.

Pool View- this is an under valued option that many people ignore. The pool view rooms give you excellent proximity to the main lobby area and are great for kids that are into swimming. The view is also lovely and some rooms have avery distant savannah view.

Standard rooms- I book these for park intensive trips. If we are only going to be at the resort when we are 1) at the pool 2) doing resort activities 3) sleeping why pay for a view? AKL has lovely public savannah viewing all over the place. Go to the end of any trail (hall) and out the stairs for a great open air view! There are sitting areas in several places and you can walk around the edges of the savannah out by the pool.

Free Resort activities not to miss:

The Culinary tour- Ask at Boma when and where this meets or Jiko if Boma has no clue. Also check the small glazed in bulletin board by the bathrooms on the Boma level for other activities. Fair warning if you do not have a reservation at one of these places before you go you will be looking for availability afterwards :) yum.

Don't skip the "bead" activities even if your kids are a little old for it- my 15 & 17 yo did them because the beads make really cute key chains :) plus they love to feed the flamingos.

Same goes on cookie decorating if they offer it. Fun for ALL ages!

One warning about AKL in January- there are fewer animals out that time of year and many fewer if yo get a cold snap. They almost always take the animals in pretty early, before most people return from the parks, due to the weather.

If that makes you want to think about another option I have three:
The other 'baby' deluxe- Wilderness lodge- cold weather (as long as it is dry) enhances many of the things this resort has to offer or at least doesn't interfere at all. Proximity to the MK is a nice perk and the holiday decorations are great! This resort also has many free resort activities (all resorts do, but AKL and WL have the best ones)

Look into two Moderate options
Coronado Springs
Business Class rooms (they have a lounge, a step down from deluxe clubs but besides the breakfast it also puts you in the best location at the resort, which is huge).

Port Orleans French Quarter
There is some construction on site, mostly minor although a pool may be out of service. I have seen some really great rates for this resort recently and it is a high recommended location.

Paying with Gift Cards- you can pay for almost anything: room charges; room reservations booked through Disney; dining; any Disney owned shops (anything in park, but not all Disney Springs locations).

It is very easy to combine Disney Gift Cards (easier than Target! but that is also possible and since the limit is 4 per order you need to if you have lots of the $5 or $10 promo cards). I highly advise doing so, it is just easier! www(dot)disneygiftcard(dot)com

Beltway Explorers

Level 2 Member
If you decide to book the Swan and Dolphin, I highly recommend calling their reservations team and asking about all of your options for the specific number of beds/people (assuming you're okay with a little cash outlay). We were able to get a large suite just $10 more per night than two standard guest rooms. If you wanted to only use SPG points this wouldn't work as the suite redemptions are 10,000 points + cash depending on the suite you chose, but it would help buy the cost down. When we are going, during a moderate time on the crowd calendars, it was 10,000 points + $200. I'm not sure if the cash cost fluctuates though.

Also since they are hybrid on-site/off-site, the Swan and Dolphin qualify for the Fast Pass+ 60 day booking window!

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Jamie, just so you know, your dates fall over the WDW Marathon weekend....be ready for some crowds especially in the mornings (going later will be much more empty however!!). Most of those folks will be booking Disney owned hotels too, so book sooner than later.

My wife and I will be there that weekend, staying on the cheap at one of the All-Star's, paid almost completely with the target-ebay->disney gc route.

DanT

Level 2 Member
I think everyone has covered a lot of the bases. I would just add that I have to second the suggestion of the Swan and Dolphin. We have never bothered with staying at the AK because it's just too far out of the way of everything else and AK is something that can easily be done in a day imo. I would think about where you plan on going during your stay. The Swan and Dolphin are cheap at that time and you can walk to Epcot and Hollywood studios. Your kids are old enough that should not be a problem. Our 7 year old is still into the princesses and she likes rides including roller coaster so we tend to stay closer to MK. The Polynesian is nice because you can get to MK easily on the monorail and you can walk to the other monorail line to get to Epcot plus the pool is nice although I haven't see the renovation yet. Contemporary is great if you plan on spending a lot of time at MK since you can walk there.

Haley

I am not a robot
The pool and Trader Sam's are awesome but the beach viewing of Wishes is now mostly blocked by the over the water villas (that tend to be the last rooms booked at the Poly or used as free upgrades if you have a plumbing issue in other DVC units...).

Swalphin has resort fees and a few other extra costs to factor in but the location is wonderful.