Options For Disney

projectx

Level 2 Member
I'm looking for a credit card that earns great rewards towards a Disney vacation. There is the Disney Visa, but the rewards on that are pretty weak. Other than running up spend on a cash back card, are there any cards that can effectively accumulate a ton of points to be used at the happiest place on earth?

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
The answer is always 5x.

If you are earning any less on a MS strategy then you are leaving something on the table. Best to earn at 5% or 5X and then find ways to turn that money into discounted access - the key for Disney will be finding ways to take the money you collected and leverage it IMO. Would be keen to hear who has some ideas on that!

projectx

Level 2 Member
Sure, I get the 5x part. I'm just trying to figure out if there's any kind of card with a nice sign up bonus that can be somehow converted to use through a portal or some other hocus pocus to redeem at Disney. My current plan is using my old Amex Blue Cash with Bluebird to rack up cash back. But I couldn't help but wonder if there is a better way. For example, the Club Carlson card can easily get you $1200 (depending on where you stay) worth of travel benefits with only $3k worth of spend during the bonus period. That's a huge return! $3k spend on my Amex will net $150. Still pretty good, but if there's a better way to kick start saving for Disney, I'm in.

chunkalunk

Level 2 Member
The Ink cards are still offering 60K sign-up points until end of the month. That 60K could be used via UltimateRewards to book your hotel for the Disney trip.

Also, Ink cards also get 5x at office supply stores, many of which sell Disney GCs.

Haley

I am not a robot
I work as a Disney Concierge itinerary planner. Disclosure: I do not work for Disney, and am not nor represent them in any way. I am not a TA but I do have a relationship with one. I work with The Fairy Trip Mothers travel agency but I am fully independent. Anything I say here is my personal opinion only.

The best approach depends on a few things.

1)Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise (I'm guessing not Disney Adventures)
2)When do you plan to visit? If you can go anytime I can tell you what the best dates are.
3)Is this a once in a lifetime/once every five years plan or are you a yearly or multiple trips a year guest?
4)Ages of any kids, if you have them and are bringing them ;) I go a few times a year without mine, Disney is not just for kids!

There are several options depending on the answers.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Hi Haley,
1. Walt Disney World. We are also thinking about a Disney cruise at some point, but can't justify the insane cost vs the other major cruise lines. Anyway, WDW is the primary goal.
2. Travel will be during spring break. My wife is a teacher so we don't have a whole lot of options. We just returned from a trip with our oldest son and had a blast!!! While it was very crowded, I did a TON of planning and were able to avoid long lines, even at major attractions.
3. The trip I'm planning for is a few years out. I know that's out there, but there will be seven travelers. We're in the once every two or three years camp.
4. Travelers: My wife and I and three kids (will be ages 7, 4, and 4 at that time), and my parents.

Our most recent trip we stayed at Pop Century and enjoyed it. I don't need anything fancy. The plan is to get two rooms next to each other, with four of us in one room and three in the other. But... how awesome would it be to say, "surprise... we're staying at the newly refurbished Polynesian!" I just can't justify spending $500/night. No way. Now if there's a way to travel hack our way to that, then great. And I'd much rather book directly with Disney. Less chance of running into any hiccups. Hopefully they'll have all the kinks worked out of MDE by then!

Haley

I am not a robot
Some historical data for the WDW resorts:

For stays between 1/2 and 3/22 there was an Annual Passholder(AP) offer of 25-37% off room only rates. This offer came out on 11/15/12 and expired on 1/1/13.

Another offer for same stay dates for AP came out on 1/2/13 and expired on 3/22.

A Disney Visa holder discount for stay dates 2/18-3/22 for 15-30% off room only and 15-30% off room rates plus a ticket discount on packages came out on 12/27/12 and expired on 3/7/13

The same offer was released for the general public on 1/3/13.

There were no discounts available for stays between 3/22 and 4/2 in 2013.

The pattern of better discounts offered earliest for AP holders, followed by a Disney Visa offer that is not quite as good, followed by an identical public offer is how discounted rates have been offered for many years. The advantage of the earlier offer release is that there are capacity controls that apply across all offers,some room types sell out the day the AP rates are released.

For stays between 1/4 and 4/12 there was an AP offer for 20%-37% off room-only rates released on 11/21/13, expired on 4/12/14.

For stays between 1/5/14 and 4/12/14 there was a Disney Visa offer for 5%-35% off room-only rates(also bookable as package) released on 10/3/13 and expired on 12/31/13. Same offer for general public released on 10/7

For stays between 2/24 and 6/15 there was a Disney Visa offer for 5%-30% off room-only rates(also bookable as package) released on 1/2 and expired on 3/31/14. The general public offer was released on 1/6 (my notes are missing the date but I'm pretty sure it was 4 days later).

Haley

I am not a robot
The discount pattern changed a bit this year, I used to be able to say if you knew last years offers you knew this years, that is no longer true.

Since your wife is a teacher my #1 recommendation is Swan/Dolphin teachers get great rates. You get a prime location, along side Disney's Deluxe resorts but at half the price (or so) but even better, it is a Starwoods property. Right now it is 10,000 points a night or 40,000 for five nights, or 5 nights and 25,000 miles for 70,000 points.

Haley

I am not a robot
Tickets are harder, but since you have a few years... 298,000 Hilton points will get you a 7 day water parks and more (can't remember if it is a hopper).

I prefer either buying discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist or Mapleleaf Tickets (I've not bought from other sites, there are several more) or if you have a dedicated Blue Bird account and a way to get 5% cash back on VGC's (I use Old Blue at the Grocery Store or Ink at the Office Supply stores) you can link the Bluebird to a Target Red Card Debit card and buy Disney Gift Cards at 5% off. You get about 9% off this way.

If you know you want to stay on-site at a Disney Resort you can set up the Disney Savings Account (online at the Disney website) and load the Gift Cards into the account. They give you a $20 gift card for every $1000 you load and use on a Disney purchase. The money is fully refundable (goes back to method paid, last in is the official rule but they prefer to do an ACH back to a linked checking account, I've had luck with this by making my last deposit from a checking account transfer and had $ that was added by CC refunded this way. YMMV)

$1000 + 4.95 + 4.95 - 50 - 50 - 20 = $889.10 (I'm not always great at math. 2 $500 visa gift cards, 2 $4.95 fees, 5% cash back on purchase if visa gc, load to bluebird, unload via linked Target Red debit card for 5% off buying Disney gc, load to Disney savings account for $20 gift card offer) I didn't do the fancy math, like cash back in fees and I think your out of pocket is really $50 more than $889 but you end up with $1050 in Disney gift cards...

Last edited:

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
So you've got flights, lodging, park tickets, meals, and ground transport.

The flights can obviously be obtained with credit card signups.
For Disney Lodging, park tickets and in-park meals, try buying Disney Gift Cards opportunistically when you see things like $10 back on $50 at Lowe's via AmEx Sync across all your AmEx cards (20% off!).

There was a deal going on a while back for a potential 20% off on park tickets but I think it's expired now. I'd keep an eye out for another one of those and consider purchasing the no-expiration tickets. I like the way those enable multiple short visits with days off parks during visits for potential rain/relaxation days.

For non-Disney lodging I think the next-best thing is the Dolphin/Swan (like Haley suggests) using Starwood points earned by signing up for SPG cards.

The Barclay Arrival/CapitalOne Venture type signup bonuses ($400/$200 or whatever) could help, but like Matt suggested I'd probably focus on reducing the cost by manufacturing spend at 5%/5X. I like the option of buying Disney Gift Cards for 5X URs on the Chase Ink at Office Supply stores since URs are worth more than a penny a point.

One other crazy idea: You can use Southwest miles to pay for a Disney Cruise at a penny a point. A terrible redemption value compared to redeeming towards flights, but in theory you could sign up for a boatload of Chase Southwest cards between a couple and get enough points for a Disney Cruise. I'm not 100% sure you could use points for a partial payment of a cruise since it's a bad idea anyway. But if someone had a bunch of Southwest/Ultimate Rewards points at their disposal they could be used towards a Disney Cruise at a penny a point.

Haley

I am not a robot
By the way, the Disney Savings Account funding by CC has posted as a travel expense for me. I don't have an Arrival card but if it posts as Travel you could use funding the account to hit $500 of the min spend (in chunks that make sense for redemptions) and get $440 credited back, if all four adults did that it would cover about 4 park tickets.

I need to check if you can use the Disney Savings account for just tickets, if you can this plus opening a SPG in all four adults names goes a long way towards a very low price trip.

Haley

I am not a robot
"Can I use my Disney Vacation Account to purchase theme park tickets?
Yes, you can use your Disney Vacation Account to purchase theme park tickets in advance. Purchase online through the official Disney website for your selected Disney vacation destination. Be sure to have your Disney Vacation Account number available when purchasing theme park tickets."

Awesome. In some cases you might be able to save more on tickets than through my 5% back VGC->BB->Target Red Card->Disney GC->Disney savings account buying from a reseller, but if IF the Arrival codes contributions as a travel expense the $440 you can get that way is the best deal for sure.

Just remember that the $440 bonus is something you might get better value from by spending another way, since you can use the BB/Red Card method for a pretty good discount and there are some travel expenses that you just can't get a discount on. In effect, if you use the redemption in a way where you give up a discount you reduce the redemption value by that discount. That, of course, holds true for all redemptions. A free night at the Swan is not worth the $400 rack rate if you can get it at the $180 teacher rate.

Barb

Level 2 Member
I've seen Disney gift cards at Publix, the dominant grocery chain here in Florida, so you could buy those with the Old Amex Blue and get 5% back.

Haley

I am not a robot
And the Lowes AmEx sync is still avaliable.
Sync Am Ex to your twitter account and tweet #amexlowes
Repeat for all Am Ex cards including AU and Serve cards by either unsync card, sync next one, tweet again or create a twitter for each card (google is your friend).

That gives you $10 off a $50 Disney Gift Card for each card.

Haley

I am not a robot
There is what I'd consider a level 2 hack for Disney as well.

One thing to note is things will change over time, and there will be some good limited time offers you can also take advantage of. I think on cyber Monday Target was giving a $10 Target gift card for ever $75 purchase online that was an excellent deal for the Disney Gift Cards.

Ticket prices go up fast, yearly or twice a year even, so as soon as you figure out your plan to fund them, buy tickets one at a time as you have the funds to lock in the lower prices. Just be aware that upgrades may not be possible (it is complex but the best idea is to buy the ticket you think you want, or even add a day (for $10 or so) because it is better to waste $10 than to have to pay $100 to add a day in 3 years)

No expire tickets are a bad value unless you use them over three trips that total exactly 10 park days. In special cases, though, they can be excellent.

Haley

I am not a robot
In case people who have not been to Disney since the roll out of the new Fastpass+ system stop by this thread.

On-site guests with a linked ticket can reserve fast passes 60 days in advance of their check in date for their entire stay, but only a number of days equal to the number of days your linked ticket has. You can link any ticket including third party sellers. You need a My Disney Experience account to make your fast pass selections.

Off-site Guests can make selections 30 days in advance with a My Disney Experience account and linked tickets. You do not need Magicbands to use the system but if you want them you can purchase them for $12.95 each.

Another option for anyone that is staying off site but wants Magicbands is to book a room only reservation at least 31 days out at any Disney Resort for 1 night. As of right now Disney is giving all Resort guests a free Magicband, you can pick your color as long as it is more than 30 days before you arrive. They will ship them to you between 30-10 days before your reservation. You can cancel your reservation for a full refund as long as you are more than 5 days from arrival on a room only. You can also move your dates for no charge on any reservation, if need be in one phone call you can change your check in date and then cancel the reservation.

Is it ethical to book and cancel in order to get free bands? Your call. I actually make 'wishful thinking' bookings all the time, there is no way to get Disney to not send out the bands. I have tried.

If book/cancel is crossing the line for you, you could try to snag a one night campsite with a good code they can go for less than the cost to buy 4 bands. Although these sites are in high demand and have very limited availability, many Disney campers would tell you to please book and cancel instead.

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
One other option is to use starwood points to stay at the WDW Swan/Dolphin. If you haven't done signup bonuses for SPG that is definitely an option, though it may not be the best use of points. I can tell you firsthand that while the location of these resorts is great, the rooms are in desperate need of renovation. It's nowhere close to what your would expect from a Starwood property. More like a dirty Motel 6.

Haley

I am not a robot
Hmm. Will have to drop in and ask to see rooms next time I'm at WDW.

I've sent people there who were very happy with their stays, but the average person who I send to WDW is not a frequent traveler. Standards are very different. They also will not have the CS that Disney is known for, but sadly, neither does Disney in some cases.

I have had amazing CS at Deluxe Resorts and pretty weak CS at a Value Resort.

Tyler2

Level 2 Member
Undercover tourist codes as a travel agent for Barclay arrival redemption.

I lack a 5% card, but have been buying amex gift cards at, effectively, 5% through the rewards boost portal. I paid for tickets that way.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Flights: Standard Deals here
Disney Tickets: Undercover Tourist via MouseSavers
Rooms: Third Party Sites (e.g. I stayed at Pop Century a few weeks ago, booked via Travel Pony that had a lower rate than Disney by about $10/night + $35 Sign Up Bonus + $50 Promo Code). We did 4 nights for at least $120 less than Disney's Site. You still get free transportation from the airport and free transportation to the parks. I didn't experience any issues with this, although if changes are required you do have to work through the Travel Company NOT Disney

TinyElvis

Level 2 Member
Hmm. Will have to drop in and ask to see rooms next time I'm at WDW.

I've sent people there who were very happy with their stays, but the average person who I send to WDW is not a frequent traveler. Standards are very different. They also will not have the CS that Disney is known for, but sadly, neither does Disney in some cases.

I have had amazing CS at Deluxe Resorts and pretty weak CS at a Value Resort.
If you're a travel agent then they will probably show you one of the better rooms. The room they gave me initially was in my opinion not fit for human habitation. I kid you not, the last time I had that kind of a reaction to mold (breathing difficulties, sneezing, etc.) was when I was in Kathmandu in a bathroom that had probably not been cleaned in 30 years. The room they moved me to after complaining (and mind you it took a lot of talking to people to get something done) was much better. Still worn and needing renovations but at least reasonably clean.
The reason I compare it to a Motel 6 were things like the peeling paint, cracked tiles, saggy bed, old furniture, filthy balcony -- things you don't expect from that price point at a deluxe resort. As far as service goes it was fair to poor. The place is run by teenagers and early 20s kids who are polite, visibly overworked, and don't really care. It was just a place to sleep and not a place to stay.

Haley

I am not a robot
If you're a travel agent then they will probably show you one of the better rooms. The room they gave me initially was in my opinion not fit for human habitation. I kid you not, the last time I had that kind of a reaction to mold (breathing difficulties, sneezing, etc.) was when I was in Kathmandu in a bathroom that had probably not been cleaned in 30 years. The room they moved me to after complaining (and mind you it took a lot of talking to people to get something done) was much better. Still worn and needing renovations but at least reasonably clean.
The reason I compare it to a Motel 6 were things like the peeling paint, cracked tiles, saggy bed, old furniture, filthy balcony -- things you don't expect from that price point at a deluxe resort. As far as service goes it was fair to poor. The place is run by teenagers and early 20s kids who are polite, visibly overworked, and don't really care. It was just a place to sleep and not a place to stay.
Their price point is between a Value and a Moderate.

I'd just say I was looking for a future stay, they are going to show their best empty room off to anyone that asks to see rooms. TA, blogger, Joe Smith, if you ask to see a room, they will show the best they can.

The hotels are currently undergoing renovations, with finish date for Swan in 2015. They are blocking off the area being worked on so that the rooms above and below the ones currently being worked on remain empty. I'll try to see if I can find out where the renovations started, although there may be none completed at this point.

There are other choices off-site, Bonnet Creek is nice and the timeshare units rent from owners fairly cheaply. About three years ago I paid $129 a night for a two bedroom unit. Can't really beat that if you need space.

misterbwong

Level 2 Member
Their price point is between a Value and a Moderate.

I'd just say I was looking for a future stay, they are going to show their best empty room off to anyone that asks to see rooms. TA, blogger, Joe Smith, if you ask to see a room, they will show the best they can.

The hotels are currently undergoing renovations, with finish date for Swan in 2015. They are blocking off the area being worked on so that the rooms above and below the ones currently being worked on remain empty. I'll try to see if I can find out where the renovations started, although there may be none completed at this point.

There are other choices off-site, Bonnet Creek is nice and the timeshare units rent from owners fairly cheaply. About three years ago I paid $129 a night for a two bedroom unit. Can't really beat that if you need space.
@Haley Any tips for disney cruise vacations? So far it seems like buying Disney GC's is the best way to get discounts....

Haley

I am not a robot
@Haley Any tips for disney cruise vacations? So far it seems like buying Disney GC's is the best way to get discounts....
Off season.

A cruise can be one case where booking with a specialist agent (I don't know any) might be a good idea.
Or else check a site like cruisecritics . ? Because not all staterooms in the same booking class (price) are equal. Big ships looking at how you get from your deck to main deck are important.

goofypluto

Level 2 Member
Hi Haley, any tips for Aulani? I'm looking to visit Sept. 2014, but the prices are insane =( Not sure if it's worth staying or just do a day trip there. Any thoughts?Thanks!

Ecason

Level 2 Member
As an alternative to the Swan/Dolphin, I have had good luck renting points from a Disney Vacation Club member and staying at a DVC resort. We have done this twice before and are planning a third trip at Christmas. Mousesavers dot com has some good information to get you started on this process. For us it has worked out to our family of four getting to stay at a Deluxe resort for what a Value or Moderate resort would normally cost. Not sure about the value for a larger party like yours.

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
The discount pattern changed a bit this year, I used to be able to say if you knew last years offers you knew this years, that is no longer true.

Since your wife is a teacher my #1 recommendation is Swan/Dolphin teachers get great rates. You get a prime location, along side Disney's Deluxe resorts but at half the price (or so) but even better, it is a Starwoods property. Right now it is 10,000 points a night or 40,000 for five nights, or 5 nights and 25,000 miles for 70,000 points.
I'm a teacher and I'm staying at the Swan April 2015 using spg nights and flights. The easter/spring break period did not allow for discounted rates or even cash and points. During summer may be different, but during the school year is a whole different thing. I paid 30,000 points and 40,000 points transferred to my airline of choice for a later trip.

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
Did you stay at the Swan or the Dolphin?

shoppergirl

Level 2 Member
Really, one of the best ways to save on Disney is if you can get Disney gift cards super cheap. If you can snag a Target gift card, you can use that Target gift card to buy Disney gift cards in the store. I've done thousands this way. I'd buy $100-200 at a time. I use to be able to buy Target gift cards in $25 increments up to 100 a year. I paid $9.95 a month for the service. It was through a shopper's service, which at first,I thought I'd been scammed, then figured out how to use it to my advantage. The party ended when I lost my Freedom card, replaced it, and forgot to update the automatic payment info. It was something offered years ago through Wells Fargo, then my credit card changed to Chase and the service just continued. It was once called "Mybuysmart", then changed to "Mylivetosave". It was through a company called Triligient, offered up by a discount shopping service. Anyway, I tried to reinstate my account and it didn't work. The cool thing in the last year was for each purchase I was receiving 3.5% cash back on my next order. So, credit card rewards, cash back, and gift card discounts was a fantastic trio. I haven't found anything close to this besides the occasional AMEX sync offers.

I used my Chase ultimate rewards points to transfer to Southwest. 63,000 points is flying my family of 5 to Disney in December and back. I'm basically using my Barclay's card to pay for the room at Disney purchased with a discount through Orbitz. The tickets were purchased with a 20% discount through ebates and Orbitz. I plan on the Barclay's card paying for meals while at Disney. I haven't tested it out yet.

I have a Disney Visa, but I only use it if I want to book a room early. Barclay's beats Disney.

fulthrust7

Level 2 Member
@Haley you should be a spokesperson for disney! Your disney knowledge is beyond ridiculous. I'll be harassing you in a few years when my infants are disney age.

PWMTrav

Staff member
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but The Swan and Dolphin are actually SPG operated hotels. I think they run 10,000 points a night. The last time we went, that's how we did it. The tips in this thread on discounted tickets are awesome - I didn't know about any of those options.

Sky WIzard

Level 2 Member
SPG has some interesting options for Disney. I believe MMS did a write up on it within the last year using flights and nights.