Not all Plastiq transactions will get 2x ShopSmall Bonus

humancar

Level 2 Member
So today I learned that not all Plastiq transactions are considered in the 2x bonus shop small promotion. About a month Plastiq sent out emails and all CC/travel forums began stating that AmEx is coding Plastiq transactions as small business and thus any and all payments made through plastiq would result in 2x MR or SPG points depending on the card. Today, I noticed that I was missing approximately 2,800 spg points, so I decided to call AmEx. AmEx graciously shared with me that not all Plastiq payments go through as small business and thus my payments to BMW Financial would not receive 2x payments, even though the payment was technically made to Plastiq. The representative nevertheless awarded the points to me.

I contacted Plastiq after, notifying them of the issue and that there emails constituted false advertisement and could be extremely costly. I was about to pay property tax bill that would have resulted in a $500 Plastiq fee, which would have been extremely expensive if it turned out I was only receiving 1x spg points. Plastiq responded that they are aware of the problem and are trying to work it out with AmEx but all payments are at your own risk, and that they would not be compensating or in anyway mitigating their false promises.

Anyways, thought I would share. Tread carefully if you are tying to make payments to take advantage of the 2x points using AmEx.

VRHunter

Level 2 Member
This promotion is attractive, but I'm not surprised to see it go poorly.

I was really surprised when Plastiq came out and implied it was a sure thing because, really, are payees like BMW Financial Services and Wells Fargo small businesses?
Anyway, I met the min spend on an AmEx Delta Platinum entirely through Plastiq payments (some of them to actual small businesses like local landscapers). My statement closed and none of the transactions earned 2x.

AmEx was quick to pay out the signup bonus and referral bonuses (like, within a couple of days even before statement close) so although the offer terms say it can take 10-12 weeks I doubt my transactions will get 2x. I'd rather not have eyes on my account for the rest of the spend I'm putting on there so I think I'll leave this alone and focus on other ways of putting spend on the card. Maybe I'll be surprised with a positive result at some point.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the headsup. That would indeed be expensive if one were using Plastiq only because the 2x points made it worth it.
(Love your E30 profile pic!)
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on my property tax through Plastiq. Should know in a day or two.

If not 2x, will try for credit of an equal payment for no service fee to make up for the "missing" points.

Sweet! That's such a great feeling, logging in and seeing the double points ;)
I've been getting double points on large (2k) merchandise purchases from my suppliers with Paypal, I hope they don't close this loophole!