Exactly how does Chase calculate 24 months since last bonus?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I'm referring to the sign up bonus language of "you can't have had the bonus in 24 months". According to a phone rep, it's calculated from the statement date on which the bonus posted. Does anyone know if that is accurate? So for example, if the statement date was Oct 23, 2014, then it is apparently safe to apply today and get the bonus again, b/c it's been 2 yrs and 1 day. Of course I wouldn't cut it that close.

milesfortravel

Level 2 Member
I don't know what date they actually use but I can tell you that since they've had that 24-month language in the agreements I've gotten 3 cards & received the signup bonus when it's only been about 22 months since receiving the last bonus (but has been a full 24 months since actually signing up for the last card.) At first I did this by mistake, but then seeing that the 24 months wasn't enforced, I didn't worry too much about it. I've done this with the Fairmont card, Ink, and Southwest personal Premier. The last card/bonus I signed up for was the SW card last February (so my experience isn't super recent.)

Last edited:

dukerau

Level 2 Member
I don't know what date they actually use but I can tell you that since they've had that 24-month language in the agreements I've gotten 3 cards & received the signup bonus when it's only been about 22 months since receiving the last bonus (but has been a full 24 months since actually signing up for the last card.) At first I did this by mistake, but then seeing that the 24 months wasn't enforced, I didn't worry too much about it. I've done this with the Fairmont card, Ink, and Southwest personal Premier. The last card/bonus I signed up for was the SW card last February (so my experience isn't super recent.)
Good data point, but IMO it's not worth risking it vs waiting a few months. Unless it's something like the BA card where you could've received part of the sign up bonus 11 months after signing up for the card.

milesfortravel

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I totally agree. I needed Fairmont certificates for a quickly approaching stay & needed the SW card for companion pass status for upcoming travel, but it was definitely a little bit of a gamble!

Newgene

Good question. I am trying to figure that out actually for 5/24. I have one dropping off in August, and I need to open the united explorer card to spend $25k in 2017 for the PQD waiver. I have no problem with the spend, but I'm trying not to put $25k through a card in 3 months. If I could spread it across 4.5 months, that would be better. I know the day I opened the one that's holding out 5/24, but I don't know if chase uses the date on the credit report or something else.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Good question. I am trying to figure that out actually for 5/24. I have one dropping off in August, and I need to open the united explorer card to spend $25k in 2017 for the PQD waiver. I have no problem with the spend, but I'm trying not to put $25k through a card in 3 months. If I could spread it across 4.5 months, that would be better. I know the day I opened the one that's holding out 5/24, but I don't know if chase uses the date on the credit report or something else.
While it doesn't tell you HOW they calculated it, I think the link in this thread shows you the count of new accounts as Chase tallies them:

https://saverocity.com/forum/threads/see-your-official-chase-x-24-count-theirs-is-less-than-my-count.659976/

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
Is the rule really no more than one signup bonus per 24 months or is there a limit to the number of signup bonuses/card applications within a 24 month period? Does 5/24 not indicate "5 accounts" total in a two year (24 months) period?

I just recently got approved for the CSR earlier this month (Jan 2017). I just logged in to check my pre-qualified offers and I noticed that I'm "eligible" for the CSP as well, so I just applied. I did not get instantly approved, but I did receive the 30-day message, which is supposedly promising.

Could I still take advantage of the 80k signup bonus on the CSP if I'm still working towards the min. spend on my CSR?

Is it likely that my application will get denied (despite the 30-day message) as a result of recently being approved for the CSR?

Any suggestions in case I need to call the reconsideration line and explain why I want a CSP only weeks after receiving a CSR? What reason could I possibly offer for wanting both cards, and is Chase known for approving multiple applications within weeks of one another?

I applied via the pre-qualified offer link, btw.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
The 2 rules are different, the 5/24 applies to whether you'll get approved for the card at all (although there's lots of loopholes around this).

The 24 month verbiage applies to earning a bonus again on a specific card. So, if you apply for the Chase Southwest Plus on Jan 2016 and get approved and get your 50K bonus, then apply on Jan 2017 (for the same card/version) and get approved, you won't get another 50K Bonus.

You should be able to take advantage of the CSP signup bonus as it is a different product than the CSR (the Southwest Plus and Southwest Premier are 2 different products for example, Biz vs. Pers are 2 different products).

Your denial/approval has to do with your whole overall credit picture, not specifically because you were approved for the CSR (although another recent app is certainly a factor).