CU/Bank with Fastest ACH Pull/Push

Maggie66

Level 2 Member
Does anyone have experience to share regarding ACH pull/push speeds for nationally available CUs/banks?

I'm trying to find out which ones offer the fastest delivery speed for the purpose of having several "bank hubs".

I have experience with:
1) Alliant: 1-2 days
2) Ally: 3+ days
3) BofA: want to stay away from this one
4) Chase: want to stay away from this one
5) FNBO: initial deposit took 5+ days

Suggestions on other "quick" ACH transfer CUs?

Thanks.

I would like to point out that the resources I found using our friend Google, retrieved older discussions on the same topic. For example, Fatwallet, but I'm hoping to some information within the last 1-2 years. If I missed something, I'd be happy with a point to the proper link just as much as a discussion here.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
I just discovered some of the checking accounts I have setup to pull funds into my SunTrust account have a next day option. I can next-day pull to ST from both UFB and 5/3.

madage

Level 2 Member
As long as you put the Alliant CU ACH request in before 11AM CST, the funds will show up the next business day.

sound48

Level 2 Member
I've also been looking into this for quicker ways to ramp up MS with suntrust and UFB direct for cheap airline miles.

sound48

Level 2 Member
I just discovered some of the checking accounts I have setup to pull funds into my SunTrust account have a next day option. I can next-day pull to ST from both UFB and 5/3.
Doesn't 5/3 charge though? There's also a limit of 5k a month pulling or pushing from UFB.

sound48

Level 2 Member
I was looking specifically to add a couple more bank accounts in the next week to help push to Suntrust and UFB. 360 only takes a couple days for me, only done a couple pushes though. Anyone know the cap on how much can be pushed from the listed bank accounts? That would probably be good for everyone to know as well going forward. I've only send around 3 or 4k at a time with 360 and had no issues yet hitting a cap.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
Doesn't 5/3 charge though? There's also a limit of 5k a month pulling or pushing from UFB.
5/3 charges for ACH when initiated at 5/3 but doesn't if ST intitiates.

Similarly, UFB limits don't apply if ACH is initiated at ST or any other institution.

Hope that's clear... ACH pull/push can get very confusing.

sound48

Level 2 Member
5/3 charges for ACH when initiated at 5/3 but doesn't if ST intitiates.

Similarly, UFB limits don't apply if ACH is initiated at ST or any other institution.

Hope that's clear... ACH pull/push can get very confusing.
I got ya now. My issue becomes the cap on both Suntrust and UFB when they're the one initiating. Ideally, I'd like a bank that has quick turnaround time and no cap so I don't have to deal with the cap Suntrust and UFB have. However, I'd also like a million dollars, doesn't mean I'll get it.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
I got ya now. My issue becomes the cap on both Suntrust and UFB when they're the one initiating. Ideally, I'd like a bank that has quick turnaround time and no cap so I don't have to deal with the cap Suntrust and UFB have. However, I'd also like a million dollars, doesn't mean I'll get it.
I find ST limits for ACH to be quite generous. I'm on an iPhone and can't access the full site but aren't the limits like 10K/day 50K/mo?

sound48

Level 2 Member
I'm not sure of the answer to that but I'd definitely like to know. I know about a week ago I hit the limit through ST when I tried to pull to them from another bank and I wasn't depositing that much.

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
I'm not sure of the answer to that but I'd definitely like to know. I know about a week ago I hit the limit through ST when I tried to pull to them from another bank and I wasn't depositing that much.
If I remember correctly, on the external transfer page on the ST site, by the field where you enter transfer amount, there is a spot you can click to get limits. There's nothing visible but if you place your cursor to the right of the amount box, you can click. On other bank sites there is an "i" in a circle but it's missing from the ST site.

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
1) After some seasoning, Suntrust ACH pulls before 4pm are next-business-day. Not sure what the criteria are, but I think the link between the accounts should exist for some months (3? 6?)
2) Santander ACH pushes are next-day. Also, no verification required for linking. No pulls available though.

sound48

Level 2 Member
If I remember correctly, on the external transfer page on the ST site, by the field where you enter transfer amount, there is a spot you can click to get limits. There's nothing visible but if you place your cursor to the right of the amount box, you can click. On other bank sites there is an "i" in a circle but it's missing from the ST site.
Awesome, I did not know about that. You're right, great find. Thank you!

thebigapple

Level 2 Member
A very local credit union north of NYC uses Netteller as their "back end". Next day transfers, both ways, limited to 2x per day, $4,999.99 maximum each.

sound48

Level 2 Member
A very local credit union north of NYC uses Netteller as their "back end". Next day transfers, both ways, limited to 2x per day, $4,999.99 maximum each.
I live in Chicago, would it still be possible to sign up for them? I know some credit unions are different. That sounds like the Holy grail of banks for this.

thebigapple

Level 2 Member
I live in Chicago, would it still be possible to sign up for them? I know some credit unions are different. That sounds like the Holy grail of banks for this.
Unfortunately, they have a pretty limited field of membership (you can't sign up for some organization and get membership that way). Residents/those with a physical connection only. However, Alliant is probably the same timing/speed that you might want to consider?

pier11

Level 2 Member
Don't know about real life limits, the site says unlimited, not tested for volume either, with AP I have the following experience:
ACH in:
- WF - about a week,

ACH out (next day):
- WF, Bancorp, Amex Centurion
- The same should be true for BoA, TD (my experiments hit long weekend with bank holiday)

May be useful for some DIY make-homebrew-hub enthusiasts.

sound48

Level 2 Member
Don't know about real life limits, the site says unlimited, not tested for volume either, with AP I have the following experience:
ACH in:
- WF - about a week,

ACH out (next day):
- WF, Bancorp, Amex Centurion
- The same should be true for BoA, TD (my experiments hit long weekend with bank holiday)

May be useful for some DIY make-homebrew-hub enthusiasts.
Which bank were you describing?

pier11

Level 2 Member
does anyone know how long does it take for AP to send the test deposits to GO Bank? TIA
No particular experience with Go Bank, but off my experiments, it looks AP *sends* deposits next (business?) day. I hardly think it differentiate by payment destination. Now the question only is how long the receiving bank will take to apply the payment to one's account.

I noticed weird think with AP test deposits last two times. The second deposit was delayed 1 day.

DebentureBoy

Level 2 Member
I wouldn't mess with GoBank on anything more than you need to in order to liquidate your Wally loads. They are quite sensitive to shenanigans.

Maybe I'm missing something here, OP... So for the sake of a day or two, couldn't you just double or triple up on your ACHs? (as in -- get two or three additional banks / CUs and use them for additional ACHs?)

If you are that pressed for cash flow, then get some 0% BT money and add that in to the mix. $10K at 2% fee and 0% interest is $200 that you can use for most of a year. There are other cash flow increasing methods also -- various 0% fee & low interest rate CCs, PLOC, various floats on prepaid debits...

Also, PenFed and USAA post transfers immediately, so you could use them as intermediate hubs as you juggle things back and forth (I'm not suggesting kiting -- just using the immediate transfer as a way to help with cashflow and slower transfers from other institutions -- basically having PenFed / USAA soak up the missing money in the float rather than having you have to do it).

Again, maybe I'm missing something...

DB

No particular experience with Go Bank, but off my experiments, it looks AP *sends* deposits next (business?) day. I hardly think it differentiate by payment destination. Now the question only is how long the receiving bank will take to apply the payment to one's account.

I noticed weird think with AP test deposits last two times. The second deposit was delayed 1 day.

loves2fly

Gold Member
I resurrected my CapOne 360 checking that was dormant for 4 yrs and find it useful now for ACH push for DD purposes. It takes 2 biz days at most ti complete a transfer. This only allows 3 external links.

Maggie66

Level 2 Member
I wouldn't mess with GoBank on anything more than you need to in order to liquidate your Wally loads. They are quite sensitive to shenanigans.

Maybe I'm missing something here, OP... So for the sake of a day or two, couldn't you just double or triple up on your ACHs? (as in -- get two or three additional banks / CUs and use them for additional ACHs?)

If you are that pressed for cash flow, then get some 0% BT money and add that in to the mix. $10K at 2% fee and 0% interest is $200 that you can use for most of a year. There are other cash flow increasing methods also -- various 0% fee & low interest rate CCs, PLOC, various floats on prepaid debits...

Also, PenFed and USAA post transfers immediately, so you could use them as intermediate hubs as you juggle things back and forth (I'm not suggesting kiting -- just using the immediate transfer as a way to help with cashflow and slower transfers from other institutions -- basically having PenFed / USAA soak up the missing money in the float rather than having you have to do it).

Again, maybe I'm missing something...

DB
I have 6+ accounts at different CUs/banks at the moment. The purpose of asking for a fast ACH transfer hub is for manufactured spending purposes. I want to get money ASAP to my bank accounts so that I can pay off the credit card charge. In addition, I want to have several "fast" hubs as to split up all the money that will be transferred within a month.

There are too many details to go into here to explain the exact purpose. I appreciate your ideas and the time that it took you to write them ;)

Someone

Level 2 Member
No one mentioned Citibank yet. They have next day up to a limit which can vary by account type and I've found their "regular" pushes usually hit the other bank in two business days.

loves2fly

Gold Member
twice that I ACH'd to Citi to pay my CC bill, I noticed my CL refreshed the next day which is much faster than when I initiate payment by phone. This is with GOBank.

F

Fuerza

When I ACH either direction from the USAA website, the transaction is instantaneous.
Agreed! I accidentally withdrew funds from USAA to my Serve account. I pushed the funds back from Serve to USAA and the funds were back before that actual withdraw. I have also pushed money to Discover bank and it was extremely fast. You can also pull from bank account A to bank account B from USAA. I've got 6 bank accounts linked through USAA and can move money around very quickly.

Lawrence

Level 2 Member
The other great thing to keep in mind about USAA is that if your accounting is sloppy their credit card overdraft option can save you a bunch of heartache. For instance, if you're pulling from AMEX and you don't remember to get funds into USAA in time, you'll be out pennies in cash advance interest, as opposed to an overdraft fee and increased scrutiny on your account at other places.