Chase Ritz Carlton card revamped

Bury

Level 2 Member
Does anyone have advice on using the air travel rebate? I don't plan to pay any baggage fees, and obviously something that is cash-like in nature would be best.

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
Last year I had success buying GCs. Had to phone in, but explained it was just SW billing for bikes I checked during a couple of flights. It was successful.

Bury

Level 2 Member
Any data points from 2016? I ask becasue of this post from FT in July 2016:

http://www.flyertalk .com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1745852-ritz-carlton-rewards-card-2016-onward-26.html
As recently as January, small purchases of, ahem, seat upgrades were still coding generically.

Since at least April, they seem to be coding as Gift Cards.

This raises the degree of difficulty when speaking to folks at Chase Visa RC

FindAWay

Level 2 Member
Any data points from 2016? I ask becasue of this post from FT in July 2016:
I burned through my $300 this year purely with SWA GCs. I did increments of $15 - some $15, some $30, some $60 - since $15 is the EBCI fee. I tried to keep no more than $60-$90 of requests per call. Each time the first person I spoke to gave me the credit quickly and without much questioning.

nicnac

Level 2 Member
Does anyone have advice on using the air travel rebate? I don't plan to pay any baggage fees, and obviously something that is cash-like in nature would be best.
I bought a refundable jetblue ticket RT LAX-JFK, added seat selection for $90 each way. Once posted I called and they waived the seat fees ($180). Then refunded through jetblue. Did it twice a couple months apart to get the full $300. To me, this was easier than buying gift cards and hoping to BS the reps

Bury

Level 2 Member
I bought a refundable jetblue ticket RT LAX-JFK, added seat selection for $90 each way. Once posted I called and they waived the seat fees ($180). Then refunded through jetblue. Did it twice a couple months apart to get the full $300. To me, this was easier than buying gift cards and hoping to BS the reps
When Jetblue refunded you, didn't it go back to the RC Visa? Can't they claw back the credit?

nicnac

Level 2 Member
When Jetblue refunded you, didn't it go back to the RC Visa? Can't they claw back the credit?
They can, but it's well established they won't. This applies to most (all?) banks/cards with this kind of offer.
In my experience, chase has not clawed back the refund (especially since you have to call and request it to happen).
But more interesting is that I did the same thing on Jetblue for Amex PRG ($100) and Bus plat ($200) which has not been clawed back either. Could be a good option if/when they close the MPX method