Chase Ritz Carlton card revamped

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Code:
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ritzcarlton/aep3CN
Several changes that put it more in line with the rumored Sapphire Reserve (Elite?).
  • Visa Infinite
  • New 10k point bonus for adding AU within 3 months of opening
  • Priority Pass Select replaces Lounge Club
  • $100 Global Entry or TSA Pre-check (in addition to the $300 annual airline fee reimbursement which remains)
  • $100 off total cost of domestic round trip airfare booking for 2-5 pax
  • Marriott Platinum status for spending $75k/year. Still gets: Gold status first year. Maintain Gold by spending $10k/year, otherwise drop to Silver.
On the negative side:
  • No more club upgrades for cardholders (used to get 3/year but only valid on paid stays)
  • Annual fee increases $395 to $450
Big questions to me:
  • Does this change its 5/24 status? Prior to today there were many reports of approvals on the Visa Signature Ritz card for people well over 5/24.
  • Is this a different product than the Visa Signature version for sign up bonus eligibility purposes?
  • I don't see any mention of what travel protections come with this card. Previously it was one of the best, even better than the vaunted Sapphire Preferred.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Interesting. Wonder if it's considered a different product. Tempted but might wait for the points OR no-AF version. Prefer points over free nights that expire in 1yr.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
Was reading over at reddit that it requires a minimum $15k credit limit for approval. Existing card holders can pc if they can get the $15k credit limit. Wonder about 5/24. I'm way over.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Was reading over at reddit that it requires a minimum $15k credit limit for approval. Existing card holders can pc if they can get the $15k credit limit. Wonder about 5/24. I'm way over.
Yeah, I think all Visa Infinite have minimum 15k credit limit. Just saw a data point on FT of approval (via app status line shortly after getting a pending decision), "way way way over 5/24."

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I think all Visa Infinite have minimum 15k credit limit. Just saw a data point on FT of approval (via app status line shortly after getting a pending decision), "way way way over 5/24."
Pre-Infinite RC was not subject to 5/24. Glad new version isn't also.

sriki

Level 2 Member
What are the chances that this is considered a new product? I already have the old Ritz and wondering if the change from Visa to Visa Infinite makes it a different card.

Edit: Found a DP on reddit that this will be considered a same product but can be product changed to Visa Infinite. This might be worth it if th lounge benefit is still active while giving the $100 multi-passenger credit and Global entry.

Last edited:

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
Don't follow. Do you mean existing cardholders of *other cards* or do you mean you have to pc the current card into the new one?

e.g. What if my current RC card has a $5k limit?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Don't follow. Do you mean existing cardholders of *other cards* or do you mean you have to pc the current card into the new one?

e.g. What if my current RC card has a $5k limit?
Existing RC can PC if you have $15k CL on it. If you don't, then you can't.

But since Chase usually allows free movement of CL from another card, you can just do that.

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
Yeah, I just don't want to be surprised by an involuntary product change. Would you recommend calling and shifting the credit now, or waiting for further communication?

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
But, answering earlier question, if you have to do a product change into the new card that would seem to indicate that it is a different product.

sriki

Level 2 Member
But, answering earlier question, if you have to do a product change into the new card that would seem to indicate that it is a different product.
That's what my initial reaction was. But, the person who commented on reddit is a Chase Private Client and apparently went to a banker and had him call the application's line and found it. So, I am little skeptical on what to think now. I am tempted to go apply for this. My existing Ritz is a little over 5 months old.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
That's what my initial reaction was. But, the person who commented on reddit is a Chase Private Client and apparently went to a banker and had him call the application's line and found it. So, I am little skeptical on what to think now. I am tempted to go apply for this. My existing Ritz is a little over 5 months old.
Let us know if you decide to be the guinea pig!

Cory

Existing RC can PC if you have $15k CL on it. If you don't, then you can't.

But since Chase usually allows free movement of CL from another card, you can just do that.
DPs on reddit are suggesting that old RC users are being upgraded to the new card, even if their credit is below the 15k Visa Infinite requirement.

They were also able to SM for a match to 3 nights instead of the 2 that's offered with this card.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
DPs on reddit are suggesting that old RC users are being upgraded to the new card, even if their credit is below the 15k Visa Infinite requirement.

They were also able to SM for a match to 3 nights instead of the 2 that's offered with this card.
I've been a RC cardholder for over a year. I added an AU 2 weeks ago and just sent an SM requesting they get their Lounge Club Membership. Got back that that benefit doesn't exist, but these do:

-Platinum Elite after spending $75,000 per account year
-Gold Elite after spending $10,000 per account year
-10% annual points premium
-Club level upgrades
-$300 annual travel incidental credit
-Priority Pass membership
-Global Entry credit
-$100 airline ticket discount
-Car rental discounts and upgrades

I have a $5K Credit Limit and never received any notification in the mail in regards to the changes.

Bury

Level 2 Member
FrequentMiler posted in his site's comments that you can still apply for the old card through a link on the RC website, but I couldn't get it to work.

I ask because the club upgrades seem decent..

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
FrequentMiler posted in his site's comments that you can still apply for the old card through a link on the RC website, but I couldn't get it to work.

I ask because the club upgrades seem decent..
Club upgrades only work with rack price cash rates, useless IMO (no way I'm paying cash rack rate)

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
Well now this is interesting ... I've not PCed to the new card, but my upgraded Priority Pass Select card just showed up in the mail today.

ed1chandler

Level 2 Member
The plot thickens ... Just got off the phone with CS.

I said I got this new Priority Pass thing in the mail. I said that my banker had told me that there was going to be a new version of this card with Priority Pass, but that I'd have to "upgrade" to that card - mine wouldn't be changing otherwise.

Apparently the conversion from the Signature version to the Infinite version is *cumpulsory* and has already occurred -- at least for me. The mailers about the changes are supposedly in the mail, but the Priority Pass people jumped the gun on sending out their new cards.

Two interesting points:
  1. They will not be replacing existing Signature cards with Infinite cards until they expire or are reported lost/stolen.
  2. The annual fee for existing cardmembers will *remain* $395 while new applicants will pay $450.
I specifically quesitoned him on that last point. We'll see, I guess, but this guy seemed like he knew what was up.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
That sounds like a raw deal. Are the certs transferable?
I'm betting you can't transfer them to another member. I would suspect you could book a res in someone else's name and apply the certs, though.

nicnac

Level 2 Member
Why are no blogs talking about the priority pass with unlimited guests for the primary cardholder AND AUs. This seems like a killer deal. Looks like my dog needs more friends to invite into the lounge with her.

On a side note has anyone actually tried inviting 10 or more people into a PP lounge? I'm tempted to do it with some friends before headed out downtown (WN pts, refund after security)

projectx

Level 2 Member
If I understand it correctly Visa Infinite cards have a minimum $10k credit limit... so there really isn't anyway to do the lower credit limit trick to get the AF refunded right?

nicnac

Level 2 Member
I've read reports of some people successfully pulling that on the new ritz...seems like too far over the line for me. Especially for what chase is worth to me.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
On a side note has anyone actually tried inviting 10 or more people into a PP lounge? I'm tempted to do it with some friends before headed out downtown (WN pts, refund after security)
The better question is why would anyone want to. Most PP lounges are pretty boring. I find PP almost useless in the US as it lacks any lounge at most airports. Much better for international travel but as I said, nothing exciting.

nicnac

Level 2 Member
I agree with you, but its got 15 or so at major airports in the US. If you're not based out of one of those then it really has little value

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
What confirmation is there that the RITZ PP benefit has unlimited guests? I have Prestige with 2 guests, but might be PCing to Ritz. And any DP on CSR PP account?

DanR

Level 2 Member
If I understand it correctly Visa Infinite cards have a minimum $10k credit limit... so there really isn't anyway to do the lower credit limit trick to get the AF refunded right?
Don't know if you can still lower it, but my wife's card converted and she's still at the 1k limit I reduced her to (in 2nd full year with no Af paid).

nicnac

Level 2 Member
What confirmation is there that the RITZ PP benefit has unlimited guests? I have Prestige with 2 guests, but might be PCing to Ritz. And any DP on CSR PP account?
I'll let you know next saturday, going day drinking at the airport with more than 2 friends.