Booking flights, starting at the beginning- help needed

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I've been concentrating on learning to MS and earning miles for future European flights. My next step will be learning how to efficiently use these but in the meantime I need to book a domestic flight for Sept. and for the first time I'm booking through my small local airport that is only served by Alaska.

I have these options for booking:
1) MR points
2) Merrill Accolade FIA AmX branded--discounted flights
3) Barclay Arrival
4) AA Exec booking

As I understand it the ONLY way I can get the free baggage guaranteed benefit is to book directly with AA using Citi card and code share (flights wb Am. Eagle and Horizon small regional jets). Even if I use my Citi card to book through Alaska and they are an AA partner they do NOT have to honor free baggage and if I book using one of the other methods I can try to flash my Citi Card when I check in my bag and if they don't notice flight wasn't booked thru American I might get away with it. Is this correct?

We have 50K MR points that I'll probably end up using since I'm not yet sure of European transfer partner for next year and probably won't renew the Amex. Is this a good use of the points 1/1 vs. 1/2 for cash. Thanks for any help, I have my work cut out for me trying to learn redemption.

Last edited:

Trevor

Level 2 Member
Congrats on planning your first redemption! It's easiest to help if you provide additional details like origin and destination. If you want help finding specific availability also include dates you want to travel.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't use MR for statement credits, transfer partners should be better value. Would Avios be an option on Alaska for your domestic flight?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I wouldn't use MR for statement credits, transfer partners should be better value. Would Avios be an option on Alaska for your domestic flight?
If I said I was, I didn't mean it as I know statement credits are not a good value. I was talking about making a reservation through Amex where you can at least get 1/1. It was a targeted offer for SO-- 50K points and that's how we got started--and I just figured it was a free $250 at the time. My FICO is higher than his, we report same income, I have more cards and he gets all the good stuff-- targeted offers--Private Banks in SF, targeted CC double value from public ones, etc. All I get is AT&T trying to Uverse me three times a week and Comcast wanting to a three way, um, triple play!

I got lazy thinking about a transfer to Avios and then a transfer back to Alaska or AA or Aeromexico. I'm tired of saving miles and just wanted to spend and haven't really considered this card in long term spending since it doesn't really have anything I can't get elsewhere (2X grocery points). I just want to book my ticket and stop having to study!! But thanks for the nudge.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Congrats on planning your first redemption! It's easiest to help if you provide additional details like origin and destination. If you want help finding specific availability also include dates you want to travel.
LOL, it's mid-Sept. but it's domestic. SAN to STS. First time I would be flying out of the local airport; they've just finished lengthening the runway so hopefully Alaska will bring in more flights and some day another airline. I've always lived near a major airport and have flown out of SFO for years.
This is just a really hard trip however I do it. It's two hour drive to SFO and I need to be in SAN mid-morning. Alaska flight out of STS is 4 PMish so that's an overnight in SAN. On way back I'll get to SAN around noon or so, Alaska flight to STS is 10A. Nothing works. I finally booked departure non-stop out of STS with overnight in SAN as the thought of either overnight in SFO or driving in at 4 AM doesn't really appeal to me. Plans for return are SAN-LAX-STS. I guess it's always like this but there are a half dozen different code shares all at different prices, terminal change, SkyWest and Horizon... Guess folks who don't live close to major airport do this all the time and I'm spoiled!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
OK-- I know considerably more now than I did yesterday. I know I can transfer MR to Avios on 1/1 or with a Gold 1 to 1.25 Avios (in a hurry). Don't have Avios now so when searching on BA can't find anything for AA or Alaska. I guess I should probably transfer 1000 MRs to Avios to see? In the meantime, could you-- or someone else w/Avios-- see what you can get for SAN-LAX-STS (or SAN-STS) for 9/20? I'd really appreciate it as I need to get this booked.
I've now read about the interesting things one can do with BA partners in Europe but not sure we can use in next year; also read about good things one can do w/Avios and AA/Alaska domestically. So I need to decide best use of these 50K MRs--am I wasting them domestically-- either through a transfer to Avios and booking AA somehow, or booking directly w/AA or Alaska for 19,000 MRs per ticket. Does it make any difference that we're talking SkyWest and Horizon?

Thanks much-- I'll get there one of these days!

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Annie - you're in luck...

You want to book with Avios. It's a direct flight that will only cost you 4500 Avios each way. There are lot of days with availability depending upon your return date. Once you transfer to British Airways you'll need to call and feed the agent the flight numbers, dates, times, etc...

upload_2014-8-11_13-37-2.png

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I think Mark just answered your question :) 4500 Avios for your flight... Doesn't get better than that.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Annie - you're in luck...

You want to book with Avios. It's a direct flight that will only cost you 4500 Avios each way. There are lot of days with availability depending upon your return date. Once you transfer to British Airways you'll need to call and feed the agent the flight numbers, dates, times, etc...

View attachment 259
Thanks, Mark, and that's great and would be very helpful if I hadn't already booked and paid cash $110 for the departure flight on 9/12 (this was before I started investigating another path). Now what I am talking about is the return flight on 9/20 SAN to STS and I don't see the info there. The AS flight to STS is a morning flight that's too early.

What I've found is #2620(Skywest) from SAN connecting w/#7524 (AK) in LAX (I think those are the right flight numbers, I have so many notes and...). Anyway, what I'm looking for is the cheapest and shortest flight from SAN to STS sometime after 4P on 9/20 (there's a United #6335 at 5P but I couldn't find any discounts anywhere).

2) I can't see it in your graphic-- do you just know it or am I missing it-- 4500 Avios-- all I see is 12,500 miles one way.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm going to have to dive in and learn this stuff whether I like it or not!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Annie, if you haven't already discovered Milenomics, take a look at this:

http://milenomics.com/2014/03/how-to-book-aa-flights-with-avios/

Sam over at Milenomics has some great "how to book it" posts, so do take a peek at his blog. KennyB at Saverocity also has some good posts on positioning flights that might help you too, not for this trip, but in general, if you are not near a hub.
Thanks, Elaine, I follow Kenny B. and Milenomics is why I'm smarter today than I was yesterday :).

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Now what I am talking about is the return flight on 9/20 SAN to STS and I don't see the info there.
What I've found is #2620(Skywest) from SAN connecting w/#7524 (AK) in LAX (I think those are the right flight numbers, I have so many notes and...). Anyway, what I'm looking for is the cheapest and shortest flight from SAN to STS sometime after 4P on 9/20 (there's a United #6335 at 5P but I couldn't find any discounts anywhere).

2) I can't see it in your graphic-- do you just know it or am I missing it-- 4500 Avios-- all I see is 12,500 miles one way.
I searched on AA. You can too. It says 12,500 if you pay with AA miles but it is only 4500 per segment with Avios. Direct flights are best as they are the cheapest. The flight you mention is available that meets your needs for 9,000 Avios - 4500 from SAN to LAX and 4500 from LAX to STS.

upload_2014-8-11_15-45-22.png

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I searched on AA. You can too. It says 12,500 if you pay with AA miles but it is only 4500 per segment with Avios. Direct flights are best as they are the cheapest. The flight you mention is available that meets your needs for 9,000 Avios - 4500 from SAN to LAX and 4500 from LAX to STS.
:D thank you, thank you, going to keep searching for that magic ATM machine! (different conversation)

Annie H.

Egalatarian
How long does the transfer generally take from MR to Avios (I should set up an Avios account first).
Should I just transfer the points I need and not all of them?
This is hard for me to believe-- transfer 50K MR to Avios, get 62,500 Avios. Buy two tickets-- I have to call BA,right? Cost for two- 18000 Avois vs. booking directly with Am Ex or AA or AK at 38K MRs

asthejoeflies

Staff member
The transfer is generally instantaneous, at least it has been for me in the past.

I wouldn't transfer all of them, is there some transfer bonus I'm unaware of? How do you get 1.25 Avios/MR with the Gold, did I miss something? In general I'd recommend keeping all your points as MR - that keeps your flexibility and doesn't get you locked in to avios.

Since BA won't show the award space online, you'll have to call. You can kindly ask them to waive the phone fee since it wasn't bookable online - they will do that sometimes. Good luck!

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
Since you have to call to do the booking, and transfers are instantaneous, I'd recommend getting an agent on the phone, confirming availability, and then once set up for ticketing doing the transfer.

If for some reason there were a snag with the agent doing the booking, you'd save yourself a transfer.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I wouldn't transfer all of them, is there some transfer bonus I'm unaware of? How do you get 1.25 Avios/MR with the Gold, did I miss something?
I must have misread something somewhere because I can't find it again. Sorry about that.

While I'm figuring all this out I forgot that the MRs belongs to my SO, the non MS guy. What's my best approach now that Amex will no longer allow MR transfers? I assume doing an AU I'd have to wait till the card actually arrived, correct? He's HOH and telephone transactions can be difficult for him to say nothing about having to teach him how to speak to BA. I feel like I'm missing something obvious for the purchase but I don't know what it is--me just doing the BA phone call using his information?

Last edited:

MarkD

Level 2 Member
Your best bet is to create British Airways accounts for each of you in a household account. All Avios are shared in the household as a pool of points. It doesn't matter who transferred the points to BA. You can only book flights for members of the household account so be aware of that.

I think you'll love Avios. I've used them to travel to Maui (12.5K Avios each way) but the best value for me is 4.5K points each way to destinations less than 600 miles. You can use Alaska, AA or now US Airways flights.

From Sacramento I can fly to LAX, SEA, Portland, Boise, Phoenix, and Palm Springs for 4.5K Avios. From STS I can fly to SAN and from San Jose I can fly to Salt Lake City.

You've pretty much got the whole west coast covered for very few points. Throw in a few more Avios and you can get to Cabo or Puerta Vallarta for cheap.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Your best bet is to create British Airways accounts for each of you in a household account. All Avios are shared in the household as a pool of points. It doesn't matter who transferred the points to BA. You can only book flights for members of the household account so be aware of that.

I think you'll love Avios. I've used them to travel to Maui (12.5K Avios each way) but the best value for me is 4.5K points each way to destinations less than 600 miles. You can use Alaska, AA or now US Airways flights.

From Sacramento I can fly to LAX, SEA, Portland, Boise, Phoenix, and Palm Springs for 4.5K Avios. From STS I can fly to SAN and from San Jose I can fly to Salt Lake City.

You've pretty much got the whole west coast covered for very few points. Throw in a few more Avios and you can get to Cabo or Puerta Vallarta for cheap.
I noticed Hawaii right away! Thanks for the tip on a household account. There's some problem with my login on BA account I created yesterday and I've now been on hold with BA for 22 minutes. Is this typical time or just for this option? I so much want to get this thing finished.

Thanks, Mark, for all your help--should give you a TA commision!

Last edited:

Annie H.

Egalatarian
BA US call center is notorious for long wait times, unfortunately :(
I'm just going to call Mark;). Good thing my SO isn't doing this, he'd have run out of patience two days ago. I'm quite patient and it's been a great learning experience for me and I'm sure I'll use all this info in the future.

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Note - you do not have to create a household account to book these tickets. You can create one in his name, transfer to that, and book for you.

I personally set up a HH account then broke it apart again.

Pros- you can blend total points into a pool
Cons - you can only book for the household (named)

VS individual accounts

Pros - you can book for anyone
Cons - you cannot pool

I broke mine up so I could book tickets for my mother to meet us in Switzerland, ironically a household account doesn't allow that..

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Note - you do not have to create a household account to book these tickets. You can create one in his name, transfer to that, and book for you.

I personally set up a HH account then broke it apart again.

Pros- you can blend total points into a pool
Cons - you can only book for the household (named)

VS individual accounts

Pros - you can book for anyone
Cons - you cannot pool

I broke mine up so I could book tickets for my mother to meet us in Switzerland, ironically a household account doesn't allow that..
During my copious time on hold while I set up the household account I was able to read about it. Good to know you can break it apart. Thanks for doing the Pro/Con thing. What's the tip for actually getting off hold?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
There is a gold line that gets you in fast - I used it recently but misplaced it - didn't think to save it to my phone!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I would just use his Exec number - I think it is altogether anyway, but if it goes to him he can book for you so safest option.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Thanks, that's what I did when you took more than 30 secs to answer (it's after 5PM somewhere:p). I have to book because he's hard of hearing, is none too fond of MS AND cannot keep this stuff straight!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Arghhh-- I found the executive club express phone number but it's busy... no one told me this would be easy!

Edit: If anyone has a number other than the Exec Club 1 800 452 1201 which is a constant busy or 1-800-247-9297 where I waited more than 40 minutes earlier today before I gave up, please let me know.

Last edited:

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Maybe you could just MS more and pay cash?
I actually posted that about an hour ago and then edited it because I didn't want bad luck. I'm coming to the DO so I can learn more methods because NO cards except SMGC available here (does your offer of private concierge MS accompaniment and training still hold?).

Success is mine, finally!!!!--maybe only 2-2.5 hours since I started this morning. BA booking phone call took almost 25 minutes. I was logged in to the Amx website trying to keep it live to transfer Avios by recalculating miles needed but that didn't work. I took the advice here and didn't transfer until I got the booking. Didn't get charged booking fee, now I DO need to MS more or figure out best AmX card--more learning-- and rewards for me. After this I need a Hawaii trip.

Thanks everyone.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'd be happy to help. Not sure if I will be heading to WM but be glad to share what I know when I see you there.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Yeah, I'd be happy to help. Not sure if I will be heading to WM but be glad to share what I know when I see you there.
Seriously--and I don't want to blow your cover-- you are TOOOO nice. We really need to get a snark font here so you will at least know when I'm joking around! Looking forward to more underpants MSing tricks.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Congrats on booking your first trip! Here's to many more.

Though, did you just call Matt nice? :)
Thanks--I didn't exactly fall off the turnip truck.;) I've booked UA and AA awards before--(I'm not going to say to where or how many miles I wasted) and I've redeemed Arrival points and USAA and Freedom cash (IOW worst ratios available:)). This is my first MR/Avios experience.

As far as Matt goes, I called him TOOOO nice--that's secret code.