Big Cruise Purchase

smittytabb

Staff member
BTW, if you don't mind, do you have a job or are you 100% dedicated to getting free travel? I wish I knew who The Points guy and View From the Wing and all of the people here in the secret private forum are and what they do.
Don't think you'll find Gary Leff (VFTW) or Brian Kelly (TPG) here on this forum :eek:

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Don't think you'll find Gary Leff (VFTW) or Brian Kelly (TPG) here on this forum :eek:
I didn't mean that. I just meant who the hell are these people? Is it their living or do they only make enough to travel free? What about nice restaurants where I don't think there are discounts?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I didn't mean that. I just meant who the hell are these people? Is it their living or do they only make enough to travel free? What about nice restaurants where I don't think there are discounts?
So are you saying they are professionals and the people here are amateurs or what?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'm not jealous, just curious. Some of the things seem quite worthwhile while others are just chasing chump change. Like my Chase Freedom now gives 5% on restaurants so if I remember to use it and get to $1500 spend(not too difficult) I'll earn 75$US. My other card pays 2% so $30. I admit it's easy and costs no time, no money, but it's for $45 in 3 months!
The first problem, in my opinion, is that you should never turn your UR points into cash back. They are worth way more strategically used as airline miles or perhaps hotel points. It's not that turning $75 into the equivalent of $150 or even $225 if you're lucky ... more doing similar things from 10 to 2 dozen other angles and watching it all add up. It's much harder to leverage a multiplier on $30 in cash, although the applications are much more flexible.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I am semi-retired, and a seller on Amazon Marketplace. I've worked from home for over a decade, so my boss (me) is fine with taking an hour in the middle of the day to go buy MOs and deposit them in the bank.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
The first problem, in my opinion, is that you should never turn your UR points into cash back. They are worth way more strategically used as airline miles or perhaps hotel points. It's not that turning $75 into the equivalent of $150 or even $225 if you're lucky ... more doing similar things from 10 to 2 dozen other angles and watching it all add up. It's much harder to leverage a multiplier on $30 in cash, although the applications are much more flexible.
I never turn points into cash. But don't you need 25000 for a flight?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I have never bought a credit card from TPG or Loyalty Lobby. I didn't even know they sold them. I don't get it. I didn't think you buy a card as most don't cost anything. I have a couple with fees but I read on these forums that you can get some back by buying gift cards for yourself. This worked with AMEX and Amazon.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I am semi-retired, and a seller on Amazon Marketplace. I've worked from home for over a decade, so my boss (me) is fine with taking an hour in the middle of the day to go buy MOs and deposit them in the bank.
OK. So wherecan you buy money orders with credit cards? I think in our grocery store they only take cash. So if I buy them w/credit I get points but the money orders only cost pennies?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Hanoi, it's a learning process. You can't get a cribbed version, seriously. There are a lot of facets, and the learning curve can be steep.

If you are serious about learning to MS, take a look around level two. There are a multitude of threads about the various methods. Some are dense with information, and may require reading twice, three time, four times, before the method sticks, makes sense.

smittytabb

Staff member
I have never bought a credit card from TPG or Loyalty Lobby. I didn't even know they sold them. I don't get it. I didn't think you buy a card as most don't cost anything. I have a couple with fees but I read on these forums that you can get some back by buying gift cards for yourself. This worked with AMEX and Amazon.
Briefly, the referral links peppered through the blog posts earn them money if you click on them. If you apply and are accepted, they earn more.

smittytabb

Staff member
From Viking you won't get it, or at least I couldn't. They sold out about 80% of it on our other cruise. Of course the travel agent is making more than that, and in truth for not much work.

I told the guy selling advance cabins for World Cruise that I could go to a travel agent and maybe he could match or beat that. He said, no you should just go to the agent, I have no authority to do better. I'm sure as an expert hacker you might find a way but I wasn't able to.

BTW, if you don't mind, do you have a job or are you 100% dedicated to getting free travel? I wish I knew who The Points guy and View From the Wing and all of the people here in the secret private forum are and what they do.

I'm not jealous, just curious. Some of the things seem quite worthwhile while others are just chasing chump change. Like my Chase Freedom now gives 5% on restaurants so if I remember to use it and get to $1500 spend(not too difficult) I'll earn 75$US. My other card pays 2% so $30. I admit it's easy and costs no time, no money, but it's for $45 in 3 months!
I've never sailed Viking, but I am on their mailing list probably because I travel a lot. Every year they put out brochures showing half off cruises if you book by a certain date. If this is the case for as many years as I can remember, and they sell out their cruises early this way, it's not the real price. But what it is is amazing marketing.

And to me, the sticker price on the new World Cruise is astounding. I am sure you can afford it, but frankly most on this forum and generally most people on the planet cannot afford it. And even if they could afford it, they might spend $100K for travel in a different way. I am sure you could not talk the price down more for this cruise because they have a set of perks built in and besides that, they can sell it to capacity for this price. They don't need everyone to spring for this deal, just enough to fill the ship.

Where the cruise deals are is on ships that will likely not come close to filling. When you see people offered deep discounts or even free offers, those ships and cabins leave the port with or without capacity. Getting some money for the cabin is better than no money for the cabin.

So where you and I differ on philosophy is that if I were given $100K and had to spend it on cruises, I would spend years piecing together cheaper great deal cruises for many, many trips, not on one. And I would use my points and miles for cheap or free flights to and from the ports. What you are doing is efficient and is a trip of a lifetime for sure. But I see cheap cruises leaving ports every day and I am afraid even if I had the money I am too much of a bargain hunter to cough up the large amount on one trip. A lot of people on this forum spend pennies on the dollar for their travel and will have a hard time relating to your situation.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Hanoi, it's a learning process. You can't get a cribbed version, seriously. There are a lot of facets, and the learning curve can be steep.

If you are serious about learning to MS, take a look around level two. There are a multitude of threads about the various methods. Some are dense with information, and may require reading twice, three time, four times, before the method sticks, makes sense.
. I am not allowed. Matt said so when I asked. Thanks though. In truth I won't become a reseller but would buy money orders and deposit them in my account if it would be enough to matter.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I've never sailed Viking, but I am on their mailing list probably because I travel a lot. Every year they put out brochures showing half off cruises if you book by a certain date. If this is the case for as many years as I can remember, and they sell out their cruises early this way, it's not the real price. But what it is is amazing marketing.

And to me, the sticker price on the new World Cruise is astounding. I am sure you can afford it, but frankly most on this forum and generally most people on the planet cannot afford it. And even if they could afford it, they might spend $100K for travel in a different way. I am sure you could not talk the price down more for this cruise because they have a set of perks built in and besides that, they can sell it to capacity for this price. They don't need everyone to spring for this deal, just enough to fill the ship.

Where the cruise deals are is on ships that will likely not come close to filling. When you see people offered deep discounts or even free offers, those ships and cabins leave the port with or without capacity. Getting some money for the cabin is better than no money for the cabin.

So where you and I differ on philosophy is that if I were given $100K and had to spend it on cruises, I would spend years piecing together cheaper great deal cruises for many, many trips, not on one. And I would use my points and miles for cheap or free flights to and from the ports. What you are doing is efficient and is a trip of a lifetime for sure. But I see cheap cruises leaving ports every day and I am afraid even if I had the money I am too much of a bargain hunter to cough up the large amount on one trip. A lot of people on this forum spend pennies on the dollar for their travel and will have a hard time relating to your situation.
OK. I like deals too but we don't even like cruises. But the 50 day was amazing. We have only traveled independent but you can avoid the crowds if you bolt from the group. What is "pennies?" I know about points/miles so have flown Business and even First using cheap miles plus earned ones. From my perspective, those are the best uses. For hotels, we lived in an apartment in a Sofitel for two years and built enough of a network to give us, not free rooms, not award rooms, but huge upgrades and special pricing. We even got the Presidential Suite in NY for four nights while booking a standard double.

smittytabb

Staff member
What I think is a deal may not be what you think is a deal and vice versa. I have been on several cruises and agree doing your own thing on the ground has several advantages for sure. Start reading the Freequent flyer and Travel is Free on Saverocity blogs for ideas on spending "pennies". As someone else pointed out, the learning curve is steep and much reading and experimenting is required to get upgrades like you mention in your post without living at the Sofitel.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
What I think is a deal may not be what you think is a deal and vice versa. I have been on several cruises and agree doing your own thing on the ground has several advantages for sure. Start reading the Freequent flyer and Travel is Free on Saverocity blogs for ideas on spending "pennies". As someone else pointed out, the learning curve is steep and much reading and experimenting is required to get upgrades like you mention in your post without living at the Sofitel.
. Thanks! Will do. Agreed that it's our perception that makes the deal. I would fly economy in US as there are no long flights. To Asia no way! If you offered me a free dinner at Olive Garden or anyplace like that I would decline. On the road in US it's Hampton but in Singapore and Bangkok it's Mandarin Oriental.

Freakflyer

Level 2 Member
Can you possibly prepay a credit card so you can actually have a higher open balance? I have heard of people cycling through their credit card credit limits like this, though not sure the banks like it. But definitely look for at least 2x for a travel expense.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I hear that prepaying is a bad idea. I would just charge it and pay it off immediately, then repeat. My AMEX Platinum said a $50,000 charge would go through OK but I need a 2X points not just one.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Can you possibly prepay a credit card so you can actually have a higher open balance? I have heard of people cycling through their credit card credit limits like this, though not sure the banks like it. But definitely look for at least 2x for a travel expense.
When I needed to do this in the past with Amex they told me that they would only honor points up to the credit line amount. Not sure how true that was, but since then I do not spend on a card that has a credit balance.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK. Thanks but I'm gonna at least go for 2X points and what's wrong with just charging 10 or 20K paying off and then doing it again. Oh, also AX has no preset limit in any case.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
OK. Thanks but I'm gonna at least go for 2X points and what's wrong with just charging 10 or 20K paying off and then doing it again. Oh, also AX has no preset limit in any case.
I don't understand. If the card you are using is a charge card, and you have the cash to PIF as soon as it hits, why all the worry about it? Just charge it and be done.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Again, I don't understand. If your Amex pays 2X for travel, then it pays 2X for travel, whether you charge it in pieces or in a lump.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Yes. Most posts not mine. I mainly wanted to know the best way to perhaps get a NEW card with bonus and/or a multiplier. It is not so often that I get to spend this much at once so may as well get some extra points. Also I think it is highly unlikely that Viking would give a discount because of their marketing, they seem to sell out all cruises a year in advance. Besides we booked through a travel agent as they do give back a discount of 8 or 9 % and yes I tried to see if viking would give one if I eschewed the agency and they said no, just use an agent.

I know that I can just charge and pay off every couple of days. That's what I did with another large purchase. AX would let me charge 100,000$ but it's only single points.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Again, I don't understand. If your Amex pays 2X for travel, then it pays 2X for travel, whether you charge it in pieces or in a lump.
It doesn't and I heard there was a 3X card somewhere plus I wanted a bonus. Enough already, I get it. I got a bunch of responses just no actual answers but it doesn't matter. I'll watch for an offer in the next 8 months.

smittytabb

Staff member
It doesn't and I heard there was a 3X card somewhere plus I wanted a bonus. Enough already, I get it. I got a bunch of responses just no actual answers but it doesn't matter. I'll watch for an offer in the next 8 months.
Enough already? People are trying to be truly helpful and there have been a lot of suggestions thrown your way. I don't understand the dismissive tone at all. No actual answers? Way up the thread folks suggested cards that make sense. No one is going to put a credit card link here for you. That's not what we do.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Somebody else said 58 posts not me. Can I take it down. I can't find a way. No I don't need a link. All I asked was is there a way to earn as many points as possible on what most people see as a very large purchase considering that most people on this site seem to never pay cash for anything. Sorry if it seemed dismissive. It was others who said chare pay repeat and comploained about the number of posts.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
If we can answer these 2 questions, I think we can call it soup.

1) If you plan on making a large purchase, can you leverage this with any CC company to get extra points?

- I've never heard of this and I think the CC companies would discourage it and certainly want it quiet if it was possible. I don't make $100k purchases, but have a rare occasion to reach $10k. I've never thought to try to call and leverage the purchase on a specific card. I figure out what card I have (or new one I can get) that would work best and spend on that.

But if you called threatening to cancel a card and can finagle a retention bonus with a high dollar amount? Where might you try?

2) What card(s) exist that have a decent signup bonus and/or would have a multiplier for a cruise purchase?

- No links needed, but I'm not the expert here. I could find something suitable for my purposes, but I rarely cruise and when I do it is for way smaller potatoes. Anyone?

Barclay's A+ signup nets $400 credit + $2k cashback. If they'd let you charge that much ... assume they would.

CSP - signup bonus but only 1x (right?) value 1500-2k, maybe more depending on leveraging.

Where is there a multiplier on travel, cruises specifically?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
From Viking you won't get it, or at least I couldn't. They sold out about 80% of it on our other cruise. Of course the travel agent is making more than that, and in truth for not much work.

I told the guy selling advance cabins for World Cruise that I could go to a travel agent and maybe he could match or beat that. He said, no you should just go to the agent, I have no authority to do better. I'm sure as an expert hacker you might find a way but I wasn't able to.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Update: The CSR proved to be just the ticket for this purchase with 3X points. I can go online to the travel agency any time and pay any amount so I don't have to worry about limits. So my wife and I will wind up with over 500K UR's for the cruise plus bonus. Glad I was patient.