Big Cruise Purchase

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
My wife and I have decided to take Viking's World Cruise next December. This 141(!) day voyage goes through both the Panama and Suez Canals and visits ports on 5 continents.

Needless to say it is quite expensive so I want to get the most points possible. Right now that seems to be on Chase Platinum Preferred but our credit limit is below the total cost. Should we charge part before the due date and then pay it off so that we can charge the rest by that date?

Any other ideas of ways to maximize or double dip points/miles?

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Couple quick ideas...
1. Are you going through a travel agent? Sometimes they have access to good discounts and such on cruises versus going direct.
2. I dont know for sure if this would code as travel, but the Citi Premier gives 3X TY on travel.
3. Could be a great opportunity to book using multiple new credit cards for the signup bonuses, or one with a very large spend requirement.
4. Im super jealous!!!!

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I would look at anything offering 3x on travel (Citi Premier/Prestige), or a card that gives you increased benefits after monumental spend (Hyatt Diamond, United MPE), or new cards with high minimum spends (Chase BA 100K offer, etc).

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Did you just say 141 days?!?!? I love cruising. Like seriously love cruising but I don't think that I can spend that much time on the boat regardless of how many ports we visit.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I have decided to take Viking's World Cruise next December. This 141(!) day voyage goes through both the Panama and Suez Canals and visits ports on 5 continents.

Needless to say it is quite expensive so I want to get the most points possible. Right now that seems to be on Chase Platinum Preferred but our credit limit is below the total cost. Should we charge part before the due date and then pay it off so that we can charge the rest by that date?

Any other ideas of ways to maximize or double dip points/miles?
Nice! I did both canals in the same year too, both were memorable for their own reasons. To be frank though, at this price point you might be better looking for something travel agent related as mentioned here, such as free airfare or whatnot... Pts are negliable.

smittytabb

Staff member
Actually, if you work with an agent you may be able to set up a payment schedule with credit cards. I did that for a major cruise. I also got free airfare credit as well as other perks. I would think you could get some real value using Citi Premier for 3x.

gmenrule

Level 2 Member
agree with all the above ...also NOBC-VR-travel agent=net4% discount....in $500 increments(painful)...mix with min spend and 3x above
just used bbva to pay 20k(daily limit) toward a cunard cruise for next March..today is the last day
RC and CCL stock ownership nets $150 on 7+ and 250 on 14+ days..so IF this is available on viking you could break into segments to max out onboard credit

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Couple quick ideas...
1. Are you going through a travel agent? Sometimes they have access to good discounts and such on cruises versus going direct.
2. I dont know for sure if this would code as travel, but the Citi Premier gives 3X TY on travel.
3. Could be a great opportunity to book using multiple new credit cards for the signup bonuses, or one with a very large spend requirement.
4. Im super jealous!!!!

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Great idea(s)! I was just thinking about cards I have. I have until next June to pay so should be able to leverage this to our advantage. Really hoping for transferrable points rather than a branded card. Nearly all of our travel is overseas so US based airlines are kind of a waste. We favor SQ but basically all award flights go to KrisFlyer members so UA we would never get a flight on SingAir

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Nice! I did both canals in the same year too, both were memorable for their own reasons. To be frank though, at this price point you might be better looking for something travel agent related as mentioned here, such as free airfare or whatnot... Pts are negliable.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Actually points are useful since we booked through a travel agent so get a huge discount already. Viking is giving free everything including all drinks and free business class both ways plus big onboard credits and tipping included. It's expensive but at our age we are spending down anyway. Just thinking a few hundred thousand transferrable points would help our future travel

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
agree with all the above ...also NOBC-VR-travel agent=net4% discount....in $500 increments(painful)...mix with min spend and 3x above
just used bbva to pay 20k(daily limit) toward a cunard cruise for next March..today is the last day
RC and CCL stock ownership nets $150 on 7+ and 250 on 14+ days..so IF this is available on viking you could break into segments to max out onboard credit

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the input. Our agent gave us about 8% back and Viking has included basically everything: business class air, gratuities, beverage package so all drinks free all times, excursion every shore day, three different shipboard credits so all I need is a couple hundred thousand transferrable points.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
What is the best way to handle a really expensive cruise? I'd like to get as many points as possible. I heard citi has a card with 3X for travel. Would a company like to have 100K in one transaction enough to give me a top offer?

Will I have to pay it in increments and pay it off if I can't charge the whole amount in one transaction?

I don't seem to have to "manufacture" spending. I can do it on my own lol.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
What is the best way to handle a really expensive cruise? I'd like to get as many points as possible. I heard citi has a card with 3X for travel. Would a company like to have 100K in one transaction enough to give me a top offer?

Will I have to pay it in increments and pay it off if I can't charge the whole amount in one transaction?

I don't seem to have to "manufacture" spending. I can do it on my own lol.
Citi Premier gives 3x on travel. I t would be difficult to charge a $100k in one transaction unless you have an unusually high credit limit. It won't make any difference point-wise if you pay it off in installments or one lump sum.

smittytabb

Staff member
I am assuming cruise costs in the neighborhood of 33K thus the 100K points. If you are working with a travel agent, see if you can break up the payment in installments. I have done that with cruises. Be sure though to consider the travel benefits of the card you are using. Some cards may not give as good a multiplier but might have big travel benefits, such as the Ritz card. I used my Ritz card for a cruise to Antarctica that required 100K in medical insurance and by using it the policy I would have had to buy was waived.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
I am assuming cruise costs in the neighborhood of 33K thus the 100K points. If you are working with a travel agent, see if you can break up the payment in installments. I have done that with cruises. Be sure though to consider the travel benefits of the card you are using. Some cards may not give as good a multiplier but might have big travel benefits, such as the Ritz card. I used my Ritz card for a cruise to Antarctica that required 100K in medical insurance and by using it the policy I would have had to buy was waived.
Your estimate is way off. You misread my post. $100k is due in June. My question was would a company want $100,000 business and what might they be willing to do. I know I can charge in increments, pay it off then charge again. I'm hoping to get a big sign up bonus maybe for both me and my wife, plus 2x or 3x on the purchase

smittytabb

Staff member
Your estimate is way off. You misread my post. $100k is due in June. My question was would a company want $100,000 business and what might they be willing to do. I know I can charge in increments, pay it off then charge again. I'm hoping to get a big sign up bonus maybe for both me and my wife, plus 2x or 3x on the purchase
I didn't misread. I made an assumption based upon my knowledge of what things cost. I have yet to see a cruise price at 100K so my assumption was that you meant 100K points, not 100K dollars. And seriously, who has a credit limit of 100K on a credit card? If you make half a million a year, you still wouldn't have that kind of credit limit on a credit card for one payment. Of course some Amex cards have no credit limit.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I didn't misread. I made an assumption based upon my knowledge of what things cost. I have yet to see a cruise price at 100K so my assumption was that you meant 100K points, not 100K dollars. And seriously, who has a credit limit of 100K on a credit card? If you make half a million a year, you still wouldn't have that kind of credit limit on a credit card for one payment. Of course some Amex cards have no credit limit.
Oh OK. $100k is just the final payment. My AMEX would probably cover it but only pays 1X. I'm asking would a company want this business and deal with me? I'm not savvy on this negotiating stuff. Apparently they give retention bonuses and other things. I'm kind of trying for a HR since we are unlikely to have this opportunity again.

Thanks for the input. Obviously I could just charge 25K or whatever my limit is, pay it off and charge again when payment hit. I'm not so concerned with other perks since we have plenty of insurance for medical emergencies.

smittytabb

Staff member
If you are taking an around the world cruise that costs $100K and want the points you will need to work with the company you are paying to see what they are willing to do. You'll also need to recognize that a credit card like Citi Premier is unlikely to give you a credit limit high enough to do this in one payment. Again, credit limits exist for the sake of the risk the bank is incurring. If you charge 100K at one time that is a huge risk for the bank that you could default. Obviously all of this depends on what the considers as your credit worthiness and your salary and other things in your credit history. Limits serve a purpose.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK Thanks. I know I can just send partial payments to the agency as long as it is paid in full. I was going to solicit a card with big bonus and 3X points. I can always charge it in smaller chunks and pay them off as soon as they post.

So far nobody seems to have had this particular situation so I am more or less on my own.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I don't think they can legally offer you a bigger bonus than what is publicly offered (if that's what you're asking). It's not like negotiating a lower price on a house or car.

The credit card company is doing you a favor by allowing you to charge/float a large sum of money. Yes, they get some kick back from you using the card, but I don't imagine that would offset the high risk factor.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I could arrange to pay in advance. Actually I think they could legally do whatever they wanted. Of course $100K is a lot to me but nothing to a multi billion dollar bank.

I think what I will do is wait for a big bonus offer as I have 11 months until payment is due, then try to get two cards, one for my wife and charge in increments, paying off when the charge hits.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I would track the Citi Premier bonuses to see if anything big comes, but it's not going to mean very much, maybe a couple of hundred $ in pts extra.

I would not overload the card with a positive balance and then pay, since that can, in some weird situations, cause them to only give points to your credit line limit.

( I also would not pay $100K for a cruise, but it does look super)

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
No, when all is said and done, Matt, you would have found a way for the cruise to cost about $10K, and then paid that all with TYP or MR.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I would track the Citi Premier bonuses to see if anything big comes, but it's not going to mean very much, maybe a couple of hundred $ in pts extra.

I would not overload the card with a positive balance and then pay, since that can, in some weird situations, cause them to only give points to your credit line limit.

( I also would not pay $100K for a cruise, but it does look super)
Thanks for merging me. Actually it's 141 day World Cruise on "Wiking" which is how the Scandinavians say it. We did book the Explorer Suite because...why not? We just did a 50 day cruise. Actually we don't like water or group travel b ut we were able to isolate ourselves so it shouldn't be difficult on this one.

As incentive they have the bogus 2-1 pricing but of course that is the real price. They throw in all alcohol(big deal for us as we drink a lot every day at home so will on cruise) Free shore excursions at every port. Laundry. Minibar but really who needs that? Oh right! Free business class fare both ways, free medical, $2000 on board credit for anything like paid excursions bottles of wine(only thing not included), 750 spa credit and 750 shop credit. Included gratuities though we will probably still tip some(not that the service could get any better!)

It's the only way we would get to some of these ports, although who really needs Costa Rico and Belize? Panama and Suez. Aus and NZ, which we never visited even when we lived in Hanoi.

Hey, there are people who wouldn't eat in a Michelin 3 star restaurant because of the cost. Go figure.

Anyway thanks for the ideas. Obviously if we can go on this cruise and do all the other traveling of which only some can be covered with points/miles we won't be living in a cardboard box if we don't maximize points but it does seem an added benefit. With bonuses and 3X we can get maybe close to 400K convertible points which wouldnt hurt. I'm figuring 2 cards w/50K bonus and 3X for spending. It may be less but it's fun to try.

You points/miles experts and even the tricky commercial ones have helped me over this past year. I would never have thought of Avianca as a source of anything but the 250% deal has gotten us almost all of our flights on an upcoming Asian trip including ANA first JFK-NAR-JFK and visits to HAN, SIN, BKK, RGN and HKK.

smittytabb

Staff member
OK, so now that everything is all in one place merged and I have context and my sticker shock is over, is this the cruise?
Code:
http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/world-cruise.html
What made you decide to go with Viking? There are some ports I haven't been to on this itinerary and it is interesting.

Now that I have had some time to take this all in, and realize you have a whole year to pay, I personally would do this. I would divide the spend up on credit cards that have big bonuses on spend. For example, some credit cards give you elite status for large spend or a free room, or bonus miles, or elite qualifying miles, or a companion pass, the list goes on. Which things are of most value is personal of course. Quite a few cards have something like this and most people concentrate on a few, but you could do quite a chunk.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK, so now that everything is all in one place merged and I have context and my sticker shock is over, is this the cruise?
Code:
http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/world-cruise.html
What made you decide to go with Viking? There are some ports I haven't been to on this itinerary and it is interesting.

Now that I have had some time to take this all in, and realize you have a whole year to pay, I personally would do this. I would divide the spend up on credit cards that have big bonuses on spend. For example, some credit cards give you elite status for large spend or a free room, or bonus miles, or elite qualifying miles, or a companion pass, the list goes on. Which things are of most value is personal of course. Quite a few cards have something like this and most people concentrate on a few, but you could do quite a chunk.

I couldn't open the link but it is the World Cruise. OK We hate cruising but took a river cruise which they screwed up a bit and gave us half back in vouchers so took a 50 day Ocean Cruise and managed it as we went to secondary places(Croatia, Montenegro, Gibraltar) that we would never have been as land based travel not worth the stop. We generally spend our travel time in Paris, Hanoi, Berlin and Munchen.

In US we do a ton of NY, with some Philly, DC, Chicago. Stay in Sofitels where we are treated like celebrities.

Viking gave us great service, no nickel-dime charges. Inexpensive drinks so we could buy with impunity. Free prime dining. Free shore excursions. We are elitist so not so many fat people with no teeth like on our one-and-only Princess Cruise.

Thanks for the input.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Come to think of it, one thing that might be worth looking into is if Viking has a UK travel agent... it might be too late already, but if they publish prices in Sterling that could be $10K or so in savings...?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Come to think of it, one thing that might be worth looking into is if Viking has a UK travel agent... it might be too late already, but if they publish prices in Sterling that could be $10K or so in savings...?
Good thought but we've already given deposit. At least we used a travel agent which saved us over $7000 each. Most people seem to book direct. Only downer is you can't contact Viking direct but our agent is usually fairly prompt to respond.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Well, now you know the most important "method" for saving money on purchases of nearly any kind. ALWAYS check for a portal bonus.

Many of my reselling purchases don't have them, which is fine. Because the price at a particular site may be much better than at any site that does have portal cash. Even my regular purchases are sometimes like that.

I wouldn't, though make a big purchase without that check, first, at cashbackmonitor.com. Just think if you found, for example, that your cruise was available through Expedia, and there was 3% cash back through them!

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Well, now you know the most important "method" for saving money on purchases of nearly any kind. ALWAYS check for a portal bonus.

Many of my reselling purchases don't have them, which is fine. Because the price at a particular site may be much better than at any site that does have portal cash. Even my regular purchases are sometimes like that.

I wouldn't, though make a big purchase without that check, first, at cashbackmonitor.com. Just think if you found, for example, that your cruise was available through Expedia, and there was 3% cash back through them!
But how would that make up for the 8% or whatever the travel agent gives back?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
But how would that make up for the 8% or whatever the travel agent gives back?
Thanks though for the idea. I like learning from the pros. Even though I am an old dog, I like some new tricks. While my wife and I are on a reasonably firm financial footing, it never hurts to save money.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If I am buying a $100k cruise, and I'm buying it directly from the cruise line, you can be assured that I will be asking for at least a 25% discount from them.

You and I both know that if the travel agent gives you an 8% discount, that she's getting a whole lot more in commission. Asking for 25% may not get me that. But I am confident it'll get me more than 8%.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
From Viking you won't get it, or at least I couldn't. They sold out about 80% of it on our other cruise. Of course the travel agent is making more than that, and in truth for not much work.

I told the guy selling advance cabins for World Cruise that I could go to a travel agent and maybe he could match or beat that. He said, no you should just go to the agent, I have no authority to do better. I'm sure as an expert hacker you might find a way but I wasn't able to.

BTW, if you don't mind, do you have a job or are you 100% dedicated to getting free travel? I wish I knew who The Points guy and View From the Wing and all of the people here in the secret private forum are and what they do.

I'm not jealous, just curious. Some of the things seem quite worthwhile while others are just chasing chump change. Like my Chase Freedom now gives 5% on restaurants so if I remember to use it and get to $1500 spend(not too difficult) I'll earn 75$US. My other card pays 2% so $30. I admit it's easy and costs no time, no money, but it's for $45 in 3 months!