Dismiss Notice
Welcome to The Forum. Please register here, to join the conversation. It only takes a moment!

Amex Platinum benefit activation

Discussion in 'American Express Membership Rewards' started by Matt, May 10, 2016.

1. Panache

Panache Level 2 Member

Great post, was about to call in on how to activate Priority Pass, saved me from listening to Muzak!

2. smittytabb

smittytabb Moderator Staff Member

This post by Stefan is good as well

Code:
    http://rapidtravelchai.boardingarea.com/2016/05/11/amex-platinum-20-things-to-do/

3. Ttitle

Ttitle Level 2 Member

Code:
    http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/investing/accounts_products/credit_cards
    Anybody adding the Schwab AMEX Platinum also? That would be another 40,000 points (along with 450 fee - airline credits) but then 1.25 for each MR point into a Schwab account.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Level 2 Member

I did the same exact thing, just some hotels for a visit to Europe. Parlayed that into Marriott Plat and then begged the others to fall in line. They abided. Lucky me! :)

5. gmenrule

gmenrule Level 2 Member

can you do the MPX /$200 Airline Credit with the Business version successfully?

6. swonavy

swonavy Level 2 Member

Yes. I completed it about 2 months ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. ToothMiles

ToothMiles Level 2 Member

I signed up for United & bought $200 gift cards at MPX.

8. Flanmann

Flanmann Level 2 Member

My current airline is Delta.. I'm flying on 1/1- wondering if I can get credit for my baggage with Delta, wait until it posts, and then still be able to switch my airline of choice before the end of January and use the rest of the available $200 credit?

9. btbane

btbane Level 2 Member

I was curious about that for a similar reason as well. My business platinum was set to Southwest. I was planning on buying gift cards before the end of January to get the $200 credit. However, I don't think I would like to use Southwest as my 50% rebate for points redemption and unfortunately they have to be the same. I wanted to make sure that getting the $200 credit doesn't lock that airline in for the remainder of the year.

10. ZipZapKaZoom

ZipZapKaZoom Level 2 Member

There is a limit to being able to switch airlines. A simpler trick might be to buy a Delta Gift card for $200 and just use it as a discount on your next trip.
    https://www.delta.com/egift/eGiftPurchase.action

11. ZipZapKaZoom

ZipZapKaZoom Level 2 Member

A hidden Amex membership reward is that once you have Hilton Honors Gold you can get Sixt Platinum.

1. Create a Best Western account
    2. E-mail StatusMatch@bestwestern.com with a Status match request for Best Western Diamond include an image of your Hilton Honors card
    3. Get a Sixt Platinum card
    http://partner.sixt.de/bestwestern/best-western-rewards-services/partnership/?L=1

Sixt is my favorite car rental company, sometimes on their e-mail blasts, you can rent a BMW for the price of a Hertz Chevy Spark.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. bifslipson

bifslipson Level 2 Member

Does anyone know if the SPG gold status automatically upgrades you to Marriott Gold or do you have to call/email for it to trigger? I just got a Platinum (yet to arrive) and have a weeklong JW Marriott stay coming up. you prefer to get Gold treatment vs Silver, although it's resort, so no breakfast anyway. Here's to an upgraded room......."if available".

13. italdesign

italdesign Level 2 Member

IIRC once you link your Marriott and SPG accounts, the status match is instant.

14. tgrshark13

tgrshark13 New Member

It triggered automatically for me (once I remembered to add SPG, since I rarely stay with them).

15. bifslipson

FYI- it takes up to 72 hours to trigger the SPG Gold. Once THAT happens, the Marriott upgrade is automatic. Thanks.

16. BeckhamsTears

BeckhamsTears New Member

are the car rental statuses no longer available?
    I can't find a working link

17. madage

madage Level 2 Member

Code:
    https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/protected/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=auth_template_a&benefitId=premiumcarrental&intlink=US:PlatinumBenefits:Travel:PremiumCarRental:Enroll

18. BeckhamsTears

BeckhamsTears New Member

for whatever reason wouldn't work on Chrome, tried 2 computers
    got it on Internet Explorer
    Thx

19. Mancolt

Mancolt Level 2 Member

I didn't see this mentioned in this thread (but could have missed it). Now that AmEx provides the $200/year Uber credit, add your AmEx Platinum to your Uber app. Based on a DoC article, it doesn't appear the biz platinum is getting the Uber credits, or the fee increase. I mistakenly thought both were coming.

20. bifslipson

I just received my Plat last month. Signed up for Avis and got Avis Preferred status. Saved me from standing in a line 30 deep at MCO and wen straight to the garage kiosk to pick up my keys.

21. italdesign

italdesign Level 2 Member

[UPDATE] - I see both credits now, it took a few minutes to appear.

Does anyone know, if I have multiple personal Plats, is it possible to get $15 Uber credit on each one in the same month? I added both Plats to Uber but am still only seeing one $15 credit. Not sure if another credit will appear after using 1st.

22. currid7

currid7 Level 2 Member

Just to throw this out there, if you AF is coming due on one, hold off until it posts, so you can squeeze another credit (if you'll use it), then cancel in the 30 day window. My AF will hit 5/22 but I'll use Uber on 5/26 and 6/8 so I can squeeze $30 out before I need to cancel on 6/22. Don't cut it too close though!

23. pointsaholic

pointsaholic Love this game!

I get 2 $15 credits per month. It doesn't even need to be your own Plat. One of the cards is my sister's. She doesn't use Uber so she let me add her plat to my Uber account.

Something must have gone wrong with adding your 2nd plat to uber.

Attached Files: