Amex Platinum benefit activation

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Can we get some crowdsourced info on what needs to be activated vs what does not for the Amex Platinum? If memory serves the Biz is different from the Personal on the Gogo Passes.

I'm going totally from memory here and haven't followed all the posts with the 'Exciting new benefit / buy my plastic™" content.

Needs a call or website visit for activation
  • SPG Gold
  • Hilton Gold
  • Boingo Internet
  • Priority Pass
  • Car rental status, Hertz Gold, National Emerald, Avis Preferred
  • $200 credit (assign airline) resets annually
  • Shoprunner
Does not need a call to be activated
  • Centurion Lounge
  • Delta Skyclub
  • Airspace Lounges
  • $100 Global Entry fee
What did I miss/get wrong?

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
Can we get some crowdsourced info on what needs to be activated vs what does not for the Amex Platinum? If memory serves the Biz is different from the Personal on the Gogo Passes.

I'm going totally from memory here and haven't followed all the posts with the 'Exciting new benefit / buy my plastic™" content.

Needs a call or website visit for activation
  • SPG Gold
  • Priority Pass
  • Car rental status, Hertz Gold, National Emerald, Avis Preferred
  • $200 credit (assign airline)
Does not need a call to be activated
  • Cent Lounge
  • Skyclub?
  • Those other lounges that give you a coupon or whatnot in the US.
  • $100 Global Entry fee
What did I miss/get wrong?
Hilton Gold needs activation and Boingo. Must assign airline before making any purchase that goes for that. Once you have an online account, you can just click on Benefits and Enroll and it will show you which ones need enrollment.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Need a call/Website visit:
1. Rental car status
2. Shoprunner

Do not need to do anything:
1. Airline credit (EDIT: Need to select an airline first)
2. Roadside assistance (card might be required when calling in for help)

Last edited:

WavyCEO

Level 2 Member
Need to designate airline?
Yes with the Platinum card AMEX makes you choose an airline for the $200 credit (any charges made outside of that airline will not get credited).
They also let you change the airline once a year.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
SPG Gold, eh? That's pretty cool. Can I then status match Hyatt to Platinum? Or are they not matching anymore?

User2016

Level 2 Member
@Matt : Here's some info:

Car Rental Savings, Status and Rewards

Free National Emerald Club Executive status with their awesome Executive Selection (rent a mid-size car at a mid-size rate, pick any full-size or higher car to drive off with!); plus discounts and a free rental day with six rental credits
Free 2-day weekend Avis rental with every 2 rentals within 6 months plus elite status, discounts & upgrades
Free Hertz #1 Club Gold Plus membership (with discounts, bonuses and upgrades) plus a free 4-hour grace period (28 hours = 1 day)

User2016

Level 2 Member
Don't forget the amazing amex offers which pop up every now and then : Since this is a charge card , there is possibility that you might get additional 10k points if you opt into pay the balance over time ! Again this is targeted but one you must watch out for

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hilton Gold needs activation and Boingo. Must assign airline before making any purchase that goes for that. Once you have an online account, you can just click on Benefits and Enroll and it will show you which ones need enrollment.
I thought it was SPG Gold.. I can't keep up... but also, where do I go to enroll? Here's what I saw when I clicked on another Plat account we have:

Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 4.44.50 PM.png

I don't see any of the 'juicy' stuff here...

smittytabb

Staff member
I thought it was SPG Gold.. I can't keep up... but also, where do I go to enroll?

I don't see any of the 'juicy' stuff here...
It's BOTH Hilton Gold and SPG Gold, SPG longstanding and Hilton Gold a recent addition...Did you find the place to enroll?

smittytabb

Staff member
Interesting. Mine is an Ameriprise one... Wonder if that may have fewer perks or is integrated differently... Will check the Personal when it arrives.
You can set it up even without the card. I set mine all up last night. There is a link from the email with the approval.

User2016

Level 2 Member
I opted in for Marriott platinum challenge and did mattress run last year ( thru one of the price mistakes of course ) and got the status within few weeks .

Then had Hilton and Hyatt match status :)

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I have the SPG biz, so am gold already, and status matched from Club Carlson to Hilton gold.

Will work on working my way up...but not with stays, of course.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
One of the "benefits" of high level cards was demonstrated today. I applied in the evening on Monday. At 9:15 this morning, approximately 36 hours later, UPS rang the doorbell with two high priority deliveries: my card, in a presentation box, and Husband's, in just the envelope.

Thanks, guys!

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
One of the "benefits" of high level cards was demonstrated today. I applied in the evening on Monday. At 9:15 this morning, approximately 36 hours later, UPS rang the doorbell with two high priority deliveries: my card, in a presentation box, and Husband's, in just the envelope.

Thanks, guys!
Likewise--mine came at 10:15. I even got an e-mail from UPS with a click-through link to a real time map where I could watch the UPS truck drive all over the city on his way to my house.

I guess that's more a feature of UPS and their next-day delivery service, but AMEX is the one who footed the shipment bill!

imMia430

Level 2 Member
Premium Supporter
It seems like the site for signing up various bonuses is down or lagging. maybe too many of us are doing it at the same time? interesting~

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
That bonus went away on Tuesday morning. The definition of "You snooze, you lose."

I lost last year, and was determined not to, this year.