AMEX Delta Gold Biz Card Welcome Offer "Reversed"

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Just got off chat with 2 AMEX reps. I was asking where my Delta Biz Gold welcome offer was ... it didn't post and it wasn't mentioned on my statement. I had 2 legitimate spends on this card ... one took care of most of the spend requirements. But it was spend (Landscaping) and it could be biz spend.

Anyway, my welcome offer was apparently rescinded without any notification. I had to see that it wasn't there and ask. I was also told this can't be reversed and you know what? I'm not going to fight it. I've closed the card and will close others. I have only ONE AMEX card I would prefer to keep, but 3 I don't really need including the one here.

So. It doesn't matter if you apparently get in on a bonus. It doesn't matter if you use organic spend to meet the requirement. AMEX can take back its offer "for any reason" and not even tell you.

For me, I think it's well past time to move away from the Big Banks and start focusing more on the smaller, local places. At least for real business. Both Chase and now AMEX have done funny things to me with new credit cards/apps. I, personally, can't trust them again.

Thanks for letting me vent.

asc8u

Level 2 Member
Sorry about that - totally lame of them.
Seems like there's no point in the signup bonus pop up if they don't stick to it.

jnjustice

There have been numerous instances of his all over reddit and other avenues. Did you press for a reason?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
There have been numerous instances of his all over reddit and other avenues. Did you press for a reason?
They had a list of possible reasons ... snipped right out of legalese somewhere. Paraphrasing: AMEX can reverse a welcome offer for customers who have opened and closed cards for points, card abuse, something else and for any and no reason. I did press for a reason and the supervisor kept apologizing but also just repeated the list. I was completely dissatisfied with the whole thing. I closed the card on the spot with a knee-jerk reaction, which may mean I'm even out the 3k points that are there (although the statement has closed and payment is due in a week). I will close 2 other cards but will think a little harder before I do and time it right for my benefit. I have 2 of my wife's cards to close with prejudice, too, once recent points post.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
They had a list of possible reasons ... snipped right out of legalese somewhere. Paraphrasing: AMEX can reverse a welcome offer for customers who have opened and closed cards for points, card abuse, something else and for any and no reason. I did press for a reason and the supervisor kept apologizing but also just repeated the list. I was completely dissatisfied with the whole thing. I closed the card on the spot with a knee-jerk reaction, which may mean I'm even out the 3k points that are there (although the statement has closed and payment is due in a week). I will close 2 other cards but will think a little harder before I do and time it right for my benefit. I have 2 of my wife's cards to close with prejudice, too, once recent points post.
Here's text snipped from the chat window from last night. This is after the first-line CSR provided similar but better-formed English text. It's like the copy/paste left a couple of reasons (I've bolded the mashed fragments):

"Thank you for waiting.

I checked it for you and I'm sorry you are not eligible for the welcome bonus. And the reason could be Account history shows accounts opened and closed frequently to get welcome bonus.Has a previous same product account that is cancelled. Any of these reasons.

American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke this offer at any time for any reason, including misuse of your Card account or the reward program."

Note the "could be". Never a specific. "For any reason" is the interesting part.

I've not really been too aggressive with AMEX cards. I'm not a major player. I have 2 Delta cards with balances (new and I've never had any card twice) that are still open, a no fee Hilton card that had just been used for Hilton spend and a BB+ that sees TONS of spend, I'm not sure I'm a bad customer. But this isn't a gamble I will take again. Not anytime soon at least.

Note that I did get the Delta personal and biz cards in relatively close proximity. The personal points posted promptly BEFORE I applied for the biz.

Completely unexpected and unbelievable. I'll recover easy enough, but a head-scratcher for sure.

Last edited:

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Hmmm. Thinking about it, while I don't feel I've been abusive at all to AMEX, if they happened to do a deep-dive into my credit report, they would easily see that I've been a terribly bad customer to CITI. I'm aggressively churning the AA cards and I don't really intend to change my ways until the rules change and stop me. Could they have looked at non-AMEX activity? After approving me for the card and then not telling me they did?

I did obtain my latest AA card around 1/1.

kuchbhi001

Given how frequently this is happening, I wonder if there will eventually be a class action against AMEX for false advertising. They are advertising a reward for purchasing a product but with the condition that they can decide at their own discretion not to give that reward with no obligation of providing a reason for it and no way to appeal that decision. They could, in theory, decide not to give bonus to anyone and yet be within those "terms". I don't think any single person will find it worth their time to fight this on their own, but as a class action this could be worthwhile.

jnjustice

Given how frequently this is happening, I wonder if there will eventually be a class action against AMEX for false advertising. They are advertising a reward for purchasing a product but with the condition that they can decide at their own discretion not to give that reward with no obligation of providing a reason for it and no way to appeal that decision. They could, in theory, decide not to give bonus to anyone and yet be within those "terms". I don't think any single person will find it worth their time to fight this on their own, but as a class action this could be worthwhile.
I'm a bit surprised too. It is a bit disheartening to meet the terms on your end and then have the bank not meet their end of the terms simply because they do not want to pay out. Who even makes these decisions? Likely a computer program but still.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Have you had this card before?
No. And since I'm here again anyway, I did check my Delta account and the 3061 miles I "earned" from the spend were posted to my account on 1/19. So I didn't lose those ... just the bonus ... and it was OK that I closed the card as a knee-jerk.

jnjustice

it was OK that I closed the card as a knee-jerk.
If you closed this card as a result of not getting the bonus, especially under a year when the AF is likely waived then I would probably give warning that Amex probably won't take that well and probably would deny you a bonus in the future based on that.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
If you closed this card as a result of not getting the bonus, especially under a year when the AF is likely waived then I would probably give warning that Amex probably won't take that well and probably would deny you a bonus in the future based on that.
There aren't many more "new" cards of interest for me to get, and this potential loss isn't much of one if they can take away the bonuses anyway. I'm not interested in counting on them in the future anyway which was the point I made when I had the CSR close the card. I feel a letter to their executive branch IS in my future; not that it will do anything, but I'll feel better.

jnjustice

There aren't many more "new" cards of interest for me to get, and this potential loss isn't much of one if they can take away the bonuses anyway. I'm not interested in counting on them in the future anyway which was the point I made when I had the CSR close the card. I feel a letter to their executive branch IS in my future; not that it will do anything, but I'll feel better.
I understand why you'd be frustrated but Amex is a major player in the rewards space. Hopefully there are other cards you can benefit from as well and get as many points. (Not being sarcastic or anything).

projectx

Level 2 Member
Have there been a lot of DPs of this happening? I personally haven't seen them. I was planning on applying for the biz and personal next time the public bonus moves to 60k+ (I'm never targeted) but your story gives me pause, given I was just approved for the Gold and have the SPG card on my wish list as well.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Have there been a lot of DPs of this happening? I personally haven't seen them. I was planning on applying for the biz and personal next time the public bonus moves to 60k+ (I'm never targeted) but your story gives me pause, given I was just approved for the Gold and have the SPG card on my wish list as well.
Someone mentioned that FT and reddit have other reports of this happening. Personally, as stated, I was taken by surprise by this action. In short, I was pissed. I DID NOT mention that I had, before I started spending (about a month or so after getting the card, because I had a large landscaping job coming that I wanted to use for the MSR) I chatted with a rep who confirmed the bonus. I only did this to confirm how much I needed to spend. I was good to go and needed only $3k (I had noted I needed 4k for some reason). Somewhere between that contact and the next statement it was rescinded. While I was out of the country for some time, there was no notification at all.

I've been doing the miles/points thing for some time and over that time have acquired quite a few AMEX cards. A few have stuck and the BB+ is my primary not-otherwised-bonus-spend card. Others have been closed when the next fee was due. I had acquired most of my "lifetime" allotment of the cards I was interested in. But the Delta cards were hanging out there. The personal card was no problem and I made sure to use organic spend for the whole MSR. This is still open. The biz card made sense and 2 organic charges met the MSR, one was that large landscaping charge. Was that a red flag? How could it be? It was a real charge I had to put somewhere.

So I've been warned I've put other AMEX cards in jeopardy. Well, I get that. But how hard do I try for the next "new" card after being jacked-around like this? Chase is a big player, too, but I can't get a new card there (over 5/24) and they messed with me recently too ... to where I'll slowly move my real money in real accounts elsewhere over the coming months. I have nothing but credit cards at AMEX, but with a small very small pool of cards that are still technically available to me followed by their current action? Writing them off isn't a big deal for me. Perhaps I'll try again in a few years. In the meantime I'm already thinking hard about how to use MS on existing cards to maintain my newish travel lifestyle!

knick1959

Level 2 Member
So. A week or so ago I escalated my issue with an email to the Excecutive Offices of AMEX. I did not really expect anything to happen (in a positive vein) but it was worth a shot and it WAS a shitty turn of events worth a vent.

Yesterday I got a text saying they were still researching the issue, which was surprising enough.

Today I got a direct phone call from their office. A nice and perfectly diplomatic woman, a master at customer support issues, gave me a long speech. In the end, I'm still SOL and the "we can do anything we want for any reason" rule was her final answer. She pointed to my history, which I still insist shows only very minor traces of abuse, if you go back 5-6 years. She mentioned that it isn't just me, that there is an effort to scrutinize all new accounts. I told her that I had researched this issue on the internet and that I did see evidence of this and that there are some ... I think I called it "bad undertones" or something. I mentioned that I didn't see this as a good thing for AMEX's image, but if that's what they are going to do, that's what they get.

I asked in all honesty why I would ever risk trying to get an AMEX credit card again? No answer. I told her I was unlikely to ever try and I mean that. At least for the next few years ... perhaps longer. She understood and appreciated my feedback ... again, obviously a well practices diplomat. I thanked her for her time and we parted ways.

I do personally hold 3 AMEX cards, 2 of them long-time holders, one of which will be closed soon. I think. Although with a card now worthless to me. I suppose I'll tiptoe around using my BB+ card to continue building my MR point base. Because I have it and it benefits me with no negatives.

My other card that I can cancel if I want: The no-fee Hilton card. I get upgrade offers for the $450 fee card all the time; not interested. Anyone think they'll ever offer an upgrade deal to the mid-tier card? And will they scrutinize any bonus offered with the same vigor? Probably nothing to lose sleep over.

On a side note - I have nothing to indicate they've linked me to my wife's full set of AMEX cards (although my name is on many as an AU). Not sure what I do there in the future ... because as you probably might guess, I control that collection, too. And "she" has been just as trivially abusive over time, although she has more long-term keepers that are actually used than I do. However, her PRG will need to be closed and the Bonvoy card isn't going to remain either. Well, not unless they offer another short term spend bonus again.

Ok. I'm done. I appreciate the chance to vent! I'm now 0/2 with letters to executive offices. Not a good track record.

Last edited:

projectx

Level 2 Member
How on earth are they going to scrutinize ALL new accounts? There must be something in your activity (justified or not) that tripped the alarm. Regardless... if I were in your shoes I would be really frustrated as well.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
How on earth are they going to scrutinize ALL new accounts? There must be something in your activity (justified or not) that tripped the alarm. Regardless... if I were in your shoes I would be really frustrated as well.
I keep trying to figure this out too. And my very near term history is not typical of what I've done in the past. I was approved for the personal delta gold, met the MSR with organic spend in a month and immediately applied for the biz gold. That sat for a month before I met the MSR with those 2 spends ... a landscaping bill took care of all but a couple hundred dollars of it. So, 2 Delta cards in a short timeframe and a single monster charge? Maybe.

No reason to keep my personal Delta card open now. I'll ponder it for a couple of days to make sure I'm not missing an angle, then shut it down. I'm still leaning towards closing the Hilton card, but I've had that for a couple/3? years and it isn't causing me any grief. And AMEX won't care OR notice.