6% APR for a saving MANGO account

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
I've said this before and wanted to add here in case anyone missed. I do not keep ANY money in the prepaid side. The only time that I put money in there is AFTER the first of the month (the accured interest) and it's immediately ACH pulled to another account. For several months now, by doing this, I have yet to be charged the $3 fee. I think the trick is to not have a balance in your prepaid on the day that it's charged (last day of the month). If you haven't tried this yet, you should. And yes I am getting the full 6% APR on my money in my savings account.
Either not paying the $3 fee has caught up with me, or they stopped the ACH transfer DD loophole. I didn't get any interest this month. Not even 2% so I'm thinking that it has to do with not paying the fee.

Edit: Oops, I wish that I would have seen your message above. I definitely would have moved money in there yesterday.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I'm very late to this party, but I'm wondering if it's still worth setting this up. I've got $15K sitting in a Chase saving account I set up for the $200 bonus, but I was going to move it back to my 1% Discover account now that the requirement has been met. Is it worth setting this up still? Seems like it should be, for $300/yr in interest.

edit: Also, giving an option for a referral code, so....

Last edited:

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Yes, do it. Unless you are the KILLER OF ALL DEALS. Then, don't.
I think that at one point I was. LOL. For instance, I was JUST about to pick up another WF this month to help with wedding expenses when it died. Other past experiences too such as Target Amex dying only a few months after I finally found cards in the store. Or them ending the unlimited AA Exec cards right after I got my first one. However, I have had Mango for a couple of years now so I would say, it's safe from me.

Flanmann

Level 2 Member
Yeah, great to set this up and automate a transfer on the 1st of every month. Pull it out with the earned interest, rinse, repeat. I pay the fee just to be on the safe side. Still nets $21 per month.

Burklio

Either not paying the $3 fee has caught up with me, or they stopped the ACH transfer DD loophole. I didn't get any interest this month. Not even 2% so I'm thinking that it has to do with not paying the fee.

Edit: Oops, I wish that I would have seen your message above. I definitely would have moved money in there yesterday.
'

Always paid the fee but got no interest for May. Will wait and see if its an error that they fix, but if a bank can't or won't pay...

madage

Level 2 Member
'

Always paid the fee but got no interest for May. Will wait and see if its an error that they fix, but if a bank can't or won't pay...
Do you have multiple accounts in your name? There is a comment on a TFB post from someone who called-in when he didn't get his interest and was told it's because of multiple accounts.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
'

Did you have a real direct deposit last month?

Do you have multiple accounts in your name? There is a comment on a TFB post from someone who called-in when he didn't get his interest and was told it's because of multiple accounts.
I do have multiple accounts in my name. There was never a rule AFAIK that said you can't. I had 2 with the old Mango and just merged those over.

madage

Level 2 Member
I do have multiple accounts in my name. There was never a rule AFAIK that said you can't. I had 2 with the old Mango and just merged those over.
I can't seem to link a specific comment, but scroll to the end of the comments on this post:
Code:
http://thefinancebuff.com/mango-prepaid-card-6-apy-savings-account-a-hidden-gem.html

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
Anyone with multiple accounts with same SSN can confirm receiving interest on ANY accounts for June?

Burklio

Did you have a real direct deposit last month?
Not a payroll, but the account is supposed to earn 2% even with no deposit. Guess it is due to multiple accounts...I have a hard time believing their "solution" meets even their own legal agreement. CSR I talked to just passed it on and said wait for interest or a call

bigauto

Anyone with multiple accounts with same SSN can confirm receiving interest on ANY accounts for June?
anyone got their interest from June yet? I have mine from June but I only have one account with real employer DD, thinking about opening another now that netspend is dead.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
anyone got their interest from June yet? I have mine from June but I only have one account with real employer DD, thinking about opening another now that netspend is dead.
I would avoid it for right now. Things seem to point to that people with duplicate accounts are the ones that didn't get interest.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Is the general consensus here that the DD has to be from the employer now? Cap1/Discover/etc no longer triggers the 6%?

edit: and I feel like an idiot, but I don't see any way to link/fund from a bank account.

Last edited:

madage

Level 2 Member
Is the general consensus here that the DD has to be from the employer now? Cap1/Discover/etc no longer triggers the 6%?

edit: and I feel like an idiot, but I don't see any way to link/fund from a bank account.
You have to push from a bank account using the DD info. I don't know about all banks, but Alliant CU push works for 6%.

Jivepicnic

Level 2 Member
I've been pushing from my Paypal account, and that has been working for me ever since they started actually requiring the DD to get the high interest rate.

Flanmann

Level 2 Member

I've been using Sallie Mae for a few months now, no problems.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the data points. I pushed the $5K in from Discover and got a DD notification via text, so I wonder if Discover count. Easy enough to set up $500 in/out auto transfers.

Mufmuf

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the data points. I pushed the $5K in from Discover and got a DD notification via text, so I wonder if Discover count. Easy enough to set up $500 in/out auto transfers.
I am interested in Mango.
I can transfer $5000 and monthly DD of $500 from one of my credit union accounts (Alliant is one of them)
How did you set up in/out? Is it better to do "in" at the begining of the month and "out" later in the month?

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I can transfer $5000 and monthly DD of $500 from one of my credit union accounts (Alliant is one of them)
How did you set up in/out? Is it better to do "in" at the begining of the month and "out" later in the month?
I set up recurring transactions (in = 5th, out = 15th), just to make sure there's always time for the funds to settle. Data points show you can pull in/out one day apart with some banks, and I may end up compressing my timeline once I get a feel for how it goes. I'm basically sacrificing 1% APY on that $500 for 10 days a month which, over a year, is something like...$2.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
I set up recurring transactions (in = 5th, out = 15th), just to make sure there's always time for the funds to settle. Data points show you can pull in/out one day apart with some banks, and I may end up compressing my timeline once I get a feel for how it goes. I'm basically sacrificing 1% APY on that $500 for 10 days a month which, over a year, is something like...$2.
I know I do it the hard way but I like to be "sure" so I normally push 1 day. Next day check to make sure that the funds made it and then pull back.

Also, since I use Alliant which is only used for MS activities and as a hub, I never know for sure that I will have $1k in there. I can't do the automatic push/pull.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I know I do it the hard way but I like to be "sure" so I normally push 1 day. Next day check to make sure that the funds made it and then pull back.

Also, since I use Alliant which is only used for MS activities and as a hub, I never know for sure that I will have $1k in there. I can't do the automatic push/pull.
I guess I'll find out if Discover qualifies. I've got the bulk of my liquid cash (emergency+future home fund) sitting in there, so I'm happy to automate it. If it doesn't work, I've been debating setting up Alliant for a while, at which point I'll probably switch to your method.

Mufmuf

Level 2 Member

Thanks.
I do not have that much in my Alliant account but will try with a local credit union where I have more $$ (MO deposits). Hopefully it qualifies and if not, will switch to Alliant.

Last edited:

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Great news for Mango users that didn't receive May interest. Got the following email:

Dear Mango Savings Accountholder,

Thank you for being a loyal Mango accountholder. We identified a delay in processing your May interest. We are working on correcting the issue and will have your interest amount posted to your savings account by end of day on Monday, June 20th.

Burklio

Could somebody update the thread when the multi accounts on the same ssn gets interest?
Paid on 3 accounts today. Not sure what to do now with multiple accounts anecdotally but not officially against the rules. Don't want to close accounts if it's not necessary, but don't want to lose control of the money for weeks if they close the accounts by surprise...

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
I agree with Burklio. Someone on FT got an email that said that they will limit multiple accounts in the near future but for now, that isn't a problem.

Duffmankc

Level 2 Member
Is there an age limit on the accounts? I couldn't find anything on their website. Wouldn't mind opening up some under my kids' names to up my balances.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Got interest on both accounts this month. I guess the glitch is over. I did however leave $3 in the account for the fee. After their recent issues, I wasn't taking the chance. Oh and I did ACH push from Alliant as my DD.

LiarsDice

Level 2 Member
I guess I'll find out if Discover qualifies. I've got the bulk of my liquid cash (emergency+future home fund) sitting in there, so I'm happy to automate it. If it doesn't work, I've been debating setting up Alliant for a while, at which point I'll probably switch to your method.
Alliant is great. Fastest for ACH, good checking rate with no min balance and even a $50 bonus for sign up. Plus their transfers don't code as the dreaded P2P. They replaced Ally Bank and between LMCU and Alliant I'm more than covered with above market rates and fast ACH.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Alliant is great. Fastest for ACH, good checking rate with no min balance and even a $50 bonus for sign up. Plus their transfers don't code as the dreaded P2P. They replaced Ally Bank and between LMCU and Alliant I'm more than covered with above market rates and fast ACH.
FWIW, Discover worked as well. Might go to Alliant down the road, but I've got my fingers in enough pies right now. With a mortgage potentially coming up in 2017, I'd rather not have to backtrack a consolidation of funds. I'm already a little nervous about the $5K from Mango.