Dismiss Notice
Welcome to The Forum. Please register here, to join the conversation. It only takes a moment!

2016: My Year of Travel

Discussion in 'New Blog Posts' started by tmount, Dec 29, 2016.

1. tmount

tmount Administrator

[​IMG]

This is a selfish post, I’ll state that first and foremost. Not because this is a brag post. Really, this is a Thank You post. You see, My Year of Travel, has been an amazing experience, and has included so many folks, and so many great suggestions for you all.

[​IMG]

Graphic courtesy of gcmap.com.

My Year of Travel

First off, I had a bunch of trips to South America. This was partially because my wife and I enjoy Brazil, and also partially because The Flight Deal shared this awesome Business Class deal from Sao Paulo. The fact of the matter is, I love a great business class deal. I also really enjoy Rio de Janeiro. It was great to check out the new Grand Hyatt Rio de Janeiro. Even better, in advance of the Olympics, Brazil opened a very impressive Terminal 3 at Sao Paulo’s International airport. For me, Sao Paulo’s airport went from the worst airport I’ve ever flown through, to on par with Bali’s airport.

Of course, my wife and I found a way to make it to Bali, We tend to enjoy a few days in Bali, just to decompress. That trip was also our first long haul Japan Airlines First Class flight, and yes, you remember correctly, I took a pair of shoes specifically to get them shined in the JAL First Class Lounge at Haneda.

July was a ton of fun, I’ll get to some of it later, but, a weekend trip to the United Arab Emirates with friends was a total blast. In fact, Diamonde the Giraffe — our compadre– even had a tour of the Grand Hyatt Dubai, despite a disappointing experience a few weeks before.

Memorial Day saw my wife and I mileage running in a far flung attempt at flying the cycle. That was a lot of flying, but was a ton of fun.

My wife and I also enjoyed the Westin Playa Conchal in Costa Rica–which we can’t wait to get back to–and a quick trip to Taipei.

Perhaps the most meaningful trip of the year was a trip that I’ve not yet had the chance to write much about. In July, I had the chance to travel with my Father and Brother to Dubai, Singapore, Melbourne, and Sydney. It was 13 days, and our wives were saints for letting us–especially my sister-in-law who had 3 kids to entertain all by herself!

Conclusion

This year’s travel took me roughly 146,000 miles, to 5 of the 7 continents, and to 12 countries. I think that’s the least amount of miles I’ve flown in the past few years. But this year is perhaps the most special year of travel I’ve had. I can’t quite put into words just how special the chance to share how I travel with my father and my brother. I think Dia may have quoted me at some point in saying, that Family Travel doesn’t just mean travel with kids… it’s more than that. And travel with family is special. I dare say, as a parent–speaking as not being one–you want to show you kids the world. As a child, you want to give back to your parents, which is something that not all of get the chance to do. I am grateful for that opportunity though. I’m also very, very grateful, for the chance to travel as much as I do, and for the chance to be part of such an awesome frequent traveler community.

How was your year of travel?

Continue reading...