About that AA Executive card you kept…

KennyBSAT

Staff member
So datapoints, and timing on any credit, are all over the map.

Just so everyone is aware if you're making purchases to trigger the credit right up to your 1-year anniversary: you have 30 days from the statement delivery date (which Citi assumes is 7 days after the actual statement date) of the statement with the fee on it to cancel for a full refund of the fee. I do not recommend cutting it close to the full 37 days. If you're done with the card, and the fee has posted in the past 30 days:

Send a secure message "Please close my AA Executive card account ending with ####." There is no need to reference the fee as that may confuse the person handling your request. The card should be closed by the next day and the fee refunded within 3 days. If you want to keep an executive card for another year, you may want to open a new one for 50K miles and then close the old one.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
Ok. I have a card that I got last year on 1/28/14 whose statement cuts on 1/22/15. I had called to convert it to a dividend card and was told I needed to wait until 1/23/15 to do it.

I just put an order in for $201 on amazon. I'll report back when the statement cuts.

godsquare

Level 2 Member
At least I could say that it is not based on calendar year. My wife got the card in April. She did not see any statement credits in Jan statement.

Pat

Silver Member
Ok. I have a card that I got last year on 1/28/14 whose statement cuts on 1/22/15. I had called to convert it to a dividend card and was told I needed to wait until 1/23/15 to do it.

I just put an order in for $201 on amazon. I'll report back when the statement cuts.
The problem is that it will take several weeks (e.g. 6 weeks +) for Citi to convert the card. The annual fee may not be refundable by the time the conversion is completed. :-(

hogo74

Level 2 Member
Another datapoint. I got the card last April under the 100k miles / $200 statement credit offer. I made a US ticket purchase this January, the statement closed yesterday and there was no statement credit.

kidooo

Level 2 Member
Is there anyone that had a card year anniversary with no credit?

I mean we all agree that this credit is an error to begin with. What are the chances citi didn't notice the many card holders getting $200 credits they were not eligible to? I would assume they fixed this by now.

Jamie

Level 2 Member
Just after I read this blog post, I checked my account. I had a ~$16 charge in december (the cards is sock-drawered, but has a small recurring charge on it.) I also had a ~16 credit (equal to the charge) that said "Congrats! Purchase Bonus" on the early Jan statement close date. So, I used the card a bunch more this month, but am still waiting for statement close. My card was opened last summer. I have no idea what this "purchase bonus" is.

Sesq

Level 2 Member

Statement closed. No credit.

The problem is that it will take several weeks (e.g. 6 weeks +) for Citi to convert the card. The annual fee may not be refundable by the time the conversion is completed. :-(
Good point, I think they sometimes make you wait 50 days or so, and the I think the fee refund has to be 37 days from the statement close. I may just shut it down. Fee didn't post with the statement, so maybe I can shoehorn it in.

Yeshu

Level 2 Member
I too bought a gift card, but my statement hasn't closed yet. I have a feeling this won't work.

Pat

Silver Member
My statement has closed with the card opened last Feb, but no statement credit there. Good try though.

crapz1

Level 2 Member
Mine was opened last April and I hadn't used it in a while. Just bought a $500 vgc and will see if a credit appears. Based on the dates, I doubt I will see anything

Imagvir

Level 2 Member
Seems like only charges made in 2014 got the credit. I made 180$ of purchases in January and the statement closed with no credit.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I just got a $100 statement credit "Congrat's! Purchase Bonus" on mine. I paid a $209 bill to Geico on 1/22 and the statement closed on 1/26. I think my year is Feb and this card was the 75k that I called in to match up to 100k. I plan on canceling the card as soon as I get hit with the fee. Sure would have like a $200 instead!

sriki

Level 2 Member
@sriki besides nickelfish1, did anyone get a credit for spending money in 2015?
So far, I haven't seen any. I did some testing of my own.

1. Citi AA Exec 1 (100k offer) - Used for regular spend (CVS,Restaurant, International lounge, online shopping) in Dec 2014 and Jan 2015. Statement closed on Jan 22. No credit. Did not spend after Jan 22

2. Citi AA Exec 2 (100k offer) - Statement closed Jan 9th. Did not spend anything before that. But, bought a AA GC for $200. Transaction is posted but no credit.

3. Citi AA Exec 3 (100k offer) - Statement closed on Jan 2. Two regular transactions of $10 & $20 respectively. before that statement. No credit. Reg transactions amounting to $50 after the Jan 2 statement. Transactions posted but no credit.

I have access to two more similar cards. I can experiment with them if anyone has a scenario that they like to see play out.

EDIT: I haven't checked what month of the fist 12 month cycle were these cards in. I will try to look up the card which is in its 11/12 month of the first year and try to run a transaction, if possible. I am interested to know if anyone has cards that are in that age and willing to try report back. Thanks.

F

Fuerza

Statement closed last night. No $100 credit for me. This was on a $100 credit and 75k AA bonus card from last summer.

avagyan

Level 2 Member
My statement ended and Membership fee posted on 02/23/2015 (for my 100K bonus card from a year ago)

No $200 credit ( I got the first time though)

There is no consensus, but there are few opinions in FT about getting this credit for the second time. One is that there was a glitch and it's fixed now, the second is that whoever got the credit had more than 200 AA spend so it might be a credit for the AA (or may be other airfare) spend..

Since I have time for another statement (37 days from 02/23 gives me a little room) I'm thinking on buying $201 AA GC at giftcards.aa.com.

Do you know if I should buy the physical GC or the e-gift card, are they coded as airfare and charged by American Airlines (not some gift card processor such as cashstar or giftcard mall)?

Whoever got the second credit, was it on the same statement as the AF?

I don't really need the gift card, can someone buy it back from me? Is ebay good place to sell it back?

Thanks

druiddation

Level 2 Member
I'm not sure about ebay. Giftcardgranny shows the prices that 7 sites are currently buying gift cards for and AA ranges from 80% to 81.75%

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I was one who got a $100 credit on my statement. (I was matched up to the 100k/$250 offer from the 75k/$100 credit.) I just pulled my 2014 annual summary and the only purchase on AA was for $7...which was a glass of wine. Hubs has two cards and hasn't received a credit on either and has had no AA purchases on either card for the year.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I was one who got a $100 credit on my statement. (I was matched up to the 100k/$250 offer from the 75k/$100 credit.) I just pulled my 2014 annual summary and the only purchase on AA was for $7...which was a glass of wine. Hubs has two cards and hasn't received a credit on either and has had no AA purchases on either card for the year.
I guess the conclusion we draw is-- drink more wine?;) Two cards, anniversary dates several months out, Dec and Jan spend, no credit.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
There doesn't seem to be anything consistent or predictable about the credits that did show up. I wouldn't buy unneeded AA GCs trying to trigger credits.

Belisarius

Level 2 Member
A quick virtuous circle reminder: while fishing for these statement credits, remember to call Citi retention on this card - you can do it as soon as a couple of months after receipt - and get the 1,000 per month mile match for $1000 monthly spend. I do it on a Buxx card autofill, double my AA points and if an additional statement credit shows around my anniversary, great. If not, I'm still yielding 2X AA miles with no effort. That small Citi balance is also useful to drain another Buxx card thru phone payment, thus saving a few ATM runs.

duffman

Level 2 Member
Hi - slightly, off-topic, but how have you been able to pay off Citi with Buxx? I still keep getting the address not matching error. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,

A quick virtuous circle reminder: while fishing for these statement credits, remember to call Citi retention on this card - you can do it as soon as a couple of months after receipt - and get the 1,000 per month mile match for $1000 monthly spend. I do it on a Buxx card autofill, double my AA points and if an additional statement credit shows around my anniversary, great. If not, I'm still yielding 2X AA miles with no effort. That small Citi balance is also useful to drain another Buxx card thru phone payment, thus saving a few ATM runs.[/

Belisarius

Level 2 Member
Hi - slightly, off-topic, but how have you been able to pay off Citi with Buxx? I still keep getting the address not matching error. Is there a way around this?

Thanks,
Assuming it's referring to physical address, go into your profiles and make sure they match exactly on each site.

If you have the Buxx card on file with Citi, I'd ask the CSR to delete it and then start over. Have you ever made a successful payment with any Buxx card? Any debit card?

duffman

Level 2 Member
Checked a few times, the addresses are in sync. Don't have Buxx on file with Citi but have used it to pay-off a Citi account prior to this. Have also used PPDC many times.

This happened a few months ago where it stopped working for whatever reason (lots of posts on FT). Some folks had an idea on how to fix it but none of the methods worked for me. Would make life a lot easier if there's a way to get it to work again..

Assuming it's referring to physical address, go into your profiles and make sure they match exactly on each site.

If you have the Buxx card on file with Citi, I'd ask the CSR to delete it and then start over. Have you ever made a successful payment with any Buxx card? Any debit card?

avagyan

Level 2 Member
I want to update about the "second" $200
I was hoping that it was a recurring benefit. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be. My Statement w/ $450 AF posted on 02.23.15 without any $200 credit. There were different opinions here and in FT whether it was a glitch or something else, but people who got the bonus had more than $200 AA spend on their cards. So I bought a $201 AA e-GC after the AF statement and waited for the next one. It posted on 03.23 with no bonus. Now I have 7 days to cancel. (and $201 AA e-GC )

I have few questions before I cancel..
I'd love to PC this to doublecash, I know it usually takes longer time (months) and I have couple days left for 37 day window to expire, did anybody tried to ask for an immediate PC as an exception/favor and still get the AF back?

My free FICO score benefit on this card shows the score from 02.23. (it didn't refresh for more than a month) Any way to trigger an update, I'd like to know the score before I cancel, because I've just got 2 new cards (50K version and USMC)

Thanks

MileHighYuppie

Level 2 Member
I want to update about the "second" $200
I was hoping that it was a recurring benefit. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be. My Statement w/ $450 AF posted on 02.23.15 without any $200 credit. There were different opinions here and in FT whether it was a glitch or something else, but people who got the bonus had more than $200 AA spend on their cards. So I bought a $201 AA e-GC after the AF statement and waited for the next one. It posted on 03.23 with no bonus. Now I have 7 days to cancel. (and $201 AA e-GC )

I have few questions before I cancel..
I'd love to PC this to doublecash, I know it usually takes longer time (months) and I have couple days left for 37 day window to expire, did anybody tried to ask for an immediate PC as an exception/favor and still get the AF back?

My free FICO score benefit on this card shows the score from 02.23. (it didn't refresh for more than a month) Any way to trigger an update, I'd like to know the score before I cancel, because I've just got 2 new cards (50K version and USMC)

Thanks
I've PC'd two Exec cards to DoubleCash cards after the $450 fee posted. It doesn't take a long time to convert anymore, I got the new DoubleCash cards within a week or two and had the fees reversed as well.

Sidenote: I don't see why so many people are keen on PCing to the Dividend card with 5x categories that are bad and capped when you can get a DoubleCash and MS the hell out of it.

Jawa

Level 2 Member
Sidenote: I don't see why so many people are keen on PCing to the Dividend card with 5x categories that are bad and capped when you can get a DoubleCash and MS the hell out of it.
Dividend card makes more sense for those of us who don't have unlimited capacity for MSing and have to be more selective (quality vs. quantity). If I can buy VGC on Citi DoubleCash (1% CB), convert to money orders at Walmart, deposit to UFBdirect AA checking account via mobile app, and pay off Citi DoubleCash (1% CB) with UFBdirect AA debit card (.5 mile per dollar) by calling Citi AA Executive hotline to get more competent customer service representatives I totally would. But I am still relatively novice at this stuff and my MS avenues are limited to capped mainstream methods. So I prefer the ability to spend $6000 on Citi Dividend in the last quarter (you can max out your entire annual cap in one quarter instead of 4 separate quarters like chase freedom) when it is department stores and Best Buy to get $300 CB instead of spending roughly $15000 on Citi DoubleCash for the same amount. I NEED that extra $15000 to hit hilton diamond via Citi HH Reserve so that when I travel with my boss's boss's boss for work he wonders why I get a top floor corner suite and free water bottle while he gets a king room with handicap shower stall when our corporate rules limit us to the same per diem per day.

avagyan

Level 2 Member
I knew that doublecash is (one of) the best (cashback) card for everyday spend, but from your post it sounded (to me) that Dividend is somehow little better. Didn't have enough time to research and called to PC to it, but rep warned me about the $300 annual cap (only now I see you've mentioned), so I PCd to doublecash of course.
Just wanted to leave a post after yours so people who will be calling to pc realize that they can't get more than $300 back per year with Dividend (although 5% in Bestbuy in fall is very nice)
and DoubleCash for most of the people in this forum will be a better option.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
I knew that doublecash is (one of) the best (cashback) card for everyday spend, but from your post it sounded (to me) that Dividend is somehow little better. Didn't have enough time to research and called to PC to it, but rep warned me about the $300 annual cap (only now I see you've mentioned), so I PCd to doublecash of course.
Just wanted to leave a post after yours so people who will be calling to pc realize that they can't get more than $300 back per year with Dividend (although 5% in Bestbuy in fall is very nice)
and DoubleCash for most of the people in this forum will be a better option.
The best thing to do with a 2% card is going through a portal to buy AGC, but you don't get 2% doing that with the DoubleCash.

Makes it a nice everyday spend card, but not so great for MS.