Twitter is going Bananas! I even posted a link to this flight deal in The Forum… gotta keep the readers happy don’t you know? But I also wrote today about the bigger picture… F.I.R.E.!! Financial Independence, I shared some details on how I made money, not to brag, but to open up about the value of earning money rather than hoping to get lucky in the stock market. I’d like you to join me on the journey and share ideas and tips on how to reach Independence together. I’ll be using the skills I learn in the CFP to help us all understand the system better.
So let’s get to this AMAZING DEAL ALERT!!!!!!
How about Hashtag #Bollocks #to #you?
The deal, that is, not the tweeter, he is just sharing what his readers want.
Let’s explore this, with a scenario. It assumes that you actually get off the plane, stay say 3 nights, and get out of your hotel room… of course you might just want to fly there and back which is just magical, and I wish you good speed….
You just flew Global First, lets assume for a minute that you don’t want to now stay in a hostel. Hotels in Seoul are actually pretty reasonable, you get a 4 star on hotels.com for about $125+ when you add on taxes and fees. Or you could stay on points, but either way points have value right? So lets call it $400 for the room.
Now, lets add on $100 for transport – from your home to airport, airport to hotel, hotel to airport, airport to home… that’s a lowball price.
How about $50 per person for F&B per day? 3 nights, 4 days $200 per.
Grand Total $2,400 for a 3 night trip per person…
What does spending $2,400 do to your life?
- If you don’t have an IRA – you could have an IRA… if you were 30 and invested it in a Roth you could have $35,489 of tax free savings by the age of 65 at 8% interest.
- If you are 25, and invested it in a HSA for 40 years at an average rate of interest of 8% in the market you could have: $52,139 for your retirement, this could be for healthcare or for other expenses.
- If you just bought your home and have a $300,000, 30 year mortgage at 4% to pay, you would be able to pay off your mortgage 5 months earlier, and save over $5,400 in interest.
- If you have a student loan at 6% with a 10 year duration, you could save $4,366 in interest payments
- You could donate it to Charity and deduct it from your taxes, making a difference to your neighborhood, or your planet, and getting a tax break.
Don’t forget… that is $2,400 per person – so all those numbers are worth double (more than double for the debt payments) if you actually have a friend or significant other…
The voice of doom and gloom
Yeah I get it, I am the miserable fecker that nobody wants to hear, but I will ask you to ponder this. You can travel the world for (almost) free using points and miles from signup bonuses alone. If you keep on chasing F because some other idiot does then you aren’t going to get to a place where you can really enjoy your life, because you will be loaded with debt and working a job you hate.
First Class bragging rights – you can keep them. I’ll keep my $4,800 and use it to load up another retirement vehicle,#bollocks #to #you